Is Kobe Bryant Currently The Third Best Player In League?

I really can't wait until the finals... Hopefully L.A meets the Cavs and all talk ends there whoever wins that is without a doubt the best player in the league

Originally Posted by youngjordan23

I really can't wait until the finals... Hopefully L.A meets the Cavs and all talk ends there whoever wins that is without a doubt the best player in the league

kobe could clearly outplay lebron in leading the lakers over the cavs  or lebron could clearly outplay kobe in leading the cavs over the lakers,  or one player could clearly outplay the other while their team loses.

either of those 3 ways, kobe and lebron stans who are bigger fans of those players rather then the teams they play for will have a list of excuses lined up so they could ride out for their man.

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

^because he's carrying his team.

U mean the way Melo did his first few years wit the nuggets, like wade who took his team to a championship, CP3 who carried them losers to the WCF, how B-roy is doing this season.... he's "carried" his team to a 5th seed in the west its something that HAS to be done by a superstar. How is it possible to call him a top three player in the NBA with no backing.. None all he has is regular season games which he has played on a great level but its nothing that hasn't been replicated
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by primetime21

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by Menacin Methods

I believe Kobe is the best player in the league. Until Lebron wins a championship no way in hell you can say he's the best player.
So what if he has amazing stats in the regular season? It's all about winning the championship. Remember when Barkley had a killer
season with the Suns? But he fell short to Jordan and the Bulls. I think Kobe rather have the finals mvp then the regular season.

As far as Durant dude hasn't even won a playoff game YET so how is he even in the discussion?
laugh.gif

We're talking about THIS YEAR.  Yes....we know Kobe has his rings, but it's a different NBA season.  As of right now, I am failing to see how anyone can say Lebron isn't the best player in the NBA.  Especially if we're talking about both offense and defense.  Some of you guys put a lot of stock into rings...which is fine.  If we're going to measure who had the better career, you can easily make the argument about Kobe having a better one than Lebrons...again, if we're solely talking about THIS SEASON, the torch has clearly been passed.  Some of you Kobe homers are something else....I have a feeling that dude could be retired for 2 seasons and you'd still rank him in the top 3 for current players in the NBA. 

QFT real talk
So wait since we talking about this year what if the Cavs loses in the conference finals? Is Lebron still the best player in the league?

a quote from the GOAT himself MJ
“There are very few Kobe Bryants out there. LeBron hasn’t won yet.Dwyane Wade had Shaq [O'Neal] sitting next to him and he had Pat Rileycoaching him. So there are a lot of other components that come intoplay to say if you’re an NBA championship team,

To me personally I feel like Kobe and LeBron are stil 1a/1b in the league, but LeBron definitely has the edge.
I don't understand how people say LeBron is clearly number 2, NOW, because of his lack of rings.

So let me put this into perspective, and I hate to do it in this manner, but Mike wasn't the best player in the league UNTIL he pulled through and won in 91?
Someone like Magic was better? I know Magic averaged double-doubles, but he was better than Mike in 88-89 and 89-90?

This may be cliche as hell, but "men lie, women lie, numbers don't."

I believe Kobe is the best player in the league. Until Lebron wins a championship no way in hell you can say he's the best player.
So what if he has amazing stats in the regular season? It's all about winning the championship. Remember when Barkley had a killer
season with the Suns? But he fell short to Jordan and the Bulls. I think Kobe rather have the finals mvp then the regular season.

As far as Durant dude hasn't even won a playoff game YET so how is he even in the discussion?
laugh.gif

We're talking about THIS YEAR.  Yes....we know Kobe has his rings, but it's a different NBA season.  As of right now, I am failing to see how anyone can say Lebron isn't the best player in the NBA.  Especially if we're talking about both offense and defense.  Some of you guys put a lot of stock into rings...which is fine.  If we're going to measure who had the better career, you can easily make the argument about Kobe having a better one than Lebrons...again, if we're solely talking about THIS SEASON, the torch has clearly been passed.  Some of you Kobe homers are something else....I have a feeling that dude could be retired for 2 seasons and you'd still rank him in the top 3 for current players in the NBA. 

I don't want to get people sucked into this convo any worse then what's already happening, and this is dangerous territory I'm heading into, but imagine all of us back in 98 jumping up and down that Grant Hill and Jerry Stackhouse right now are better then MJ.  Would folks have let that go back then?  I don't think they would have.  MJ had seen and done all, he was on top, til the day he left.  But he clearly wasn't the same player at 34 he was at 29. 
So why should people be sitting here now saying, yup, without a doubt, players X and Y are better then Kobe, yup, no doubt, he's lost a step.  It's over.  Do you see what I'm sayin?  I mean, what if Durant gets bounced in the first round, and Kobe goes on to win a title this year, obviously meaning Bron doesn't, so we're all to sit back and say Kobe's lost it and these other dudes are better cuz they put up monstrous regular season numbers?  Really? 
Now, if Bron goes out and gets a title and Kobe plays horribly in the postseason, NOW you have an argument that no Laker fan can really argue against.  But until we see that happen, why should we believe anyone else besides Kobe is the best player in the game today? 

Just my .02

Originally Posted by HANNSUM

Ain't nobody care about if you're a celtic fan , spurs fan...hell opinions of NT aka home of shoe nerds (70% from CA)

but it's scary to think that Durant is already looking down Kobe bryant right now.

remember durant is 21 and is better than anything kobe does except for passing oh the irony.

But there shouldn't be a discussion about KD > KB @ 21.

And if you don't think LBJ is no.1 slap your girl if you have any.

Yes kobe was pretty clutch this year and last year...like i said, besides those years, he was no greater than my friend average joe.

being clutch doesn't make you no.1 said horry
Oh boy you don't even know how you made yourself sound do you?
Durant is better at everything Kobe does except passing? Really? This is a fact? Do you even watch Lakers and Thunder games or do you check out the stat lines after the games are finished? I have a feeling when you come into arguments like this you check out NBA.com and get all your info from there.

Whatever happened to proving yourself before people give you credit?

What is the goal of every player in the league if you asked them? To win a ring right... Out of those top players being mentioned who has won rings? No better yet who has won 1 ring? Remember before the Lakers won this last season the big knock on Kobe was he couldn't win without Shaq, so he does and now there's another knock, Lebron is just statistically better than him. Really is that how we rate the best player in the league? Funny thing was when Kobe was leading the league in stats that didn't make him the best in the league to the same people who are crowning Lebron the best because of stats. 

If James doesn't win a ring and Kobe does this year you still think James is the best? Tell me if Kobe wins 3 more and James still has none who's the best then? And don't say you can't use this logic because I see people up in here PRONOUNCING that they know FOR A FACT that James will win one. So since everyone is into the what if's let's do it.

You want the fancy guy with the fancy numbers and the huge stats that can't win JUST ONE, or do you want the one who gets the job DONE!

That's how REGULAR people rate who the best is!

Kobe hasn't taken a free throw for two straight games...I think that stat only says enough about Kobe's game at this age.

I would still take him over anyone besides LeBron for a series but past next year I don't see him being in that top 5 really.

Question:

Does anyone have a reason of why Kobe is still better than LeBron that does not include past accomplishments or telling people to wait till the playoffs?

Originally Posted by youngjordan23

This durant suckage is really starting to piss me off like really
laugh.gif
. how does a guy who putting up 29 for a 5th seed surpass the career of D-Wade, Melo, and Kobe, chris paul, hell even Bosh
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

And people wonder why I say the things I say. Durant is a great ball player, but it doesn't make sense how people ride him and make him out to be more than what he really is.

I know people like him because of his good/humble personality, but he's just in his 3rd year.
laugh.gif
He's leading his team to somewhere between the 5th-8th seed in the West. He's not the first guy to do that at a young age. Hell, Wade led the Heat to the playoffs in his rookie season. KD is carrying his team, but its not his roster looks like the Orlando roster from the T-Mac days. He does have another guy in Westbrook and guys like Green and Harden that can step up and score 20+ on some nights.

Just give it time, Durant will have his shine in this league, but put the pipe down immediately.

Reporter: Excuse me Lebron, do you think you will win the scoring title this year?
Lebron: "It's not important to me at all. I mean right now our team is in a position to try to clinch throughout the whole playoffs," "That's what position we're in right now. If we can do that, that will be more important than a scoring title. I mean, individual accolades take care of [themselves]."

Reporter: Really, so what would you say your goal is for the season?

Lebron: To win a ring!

Reporter: If you don't win will the season be a failure for you

Lebron: Yes, my goal is to win a championship, I don't care how much I score or anything, I just want to win it, win a ring.

Reporter: Do you think success is gaged by championships?

Lebron: Of course, if your goal is to win then championships are what matters.

Reporter: Do you feel if you don't win you cannot be considered the best?

Lebron: The individual accolades aren't what concern me, I want to win a title, that is our goal this year. Everything else doesn't matter.

Reporter: Hmmm so winning is the ultimate goal and most important, and not much else matters, so if I am reasoning correct, you are the best player in the league right???

Lebron: no Kobe is!

Reporter: Thanks Queen James no further questions.

Originally Posted by Deuce King

Most of you dudes are overrating Kobe's rings but I'll let you dudes have your fun for now.

How would you rate rings then? Let's say Lebron ends up with 4 MVP's total for the next 3 years and Kobe ends up with 7 chips. You're still going to say Lebron is better because of how he did in the regular season putting up stats against teams that dont make the playoffs, and even if they do he only sees 13% of the whole nba in the playoffs. You say we put too much emphasis on the one thing everybody in the NBA strives for but I think you put too much emphasis on the regular season stats. Lebron can get as many regular season MVP's as he wants, Kobe will continue his collection of Finals MVP's.

Originally Posted by Al3xis

Question:

Does anyone have a reason of why Kobe is still better than LeBron that does not include past accomplishments or telling people to wait till the playoffs?
Because past accomplishments including the Championship just won last season has nothing to do with who's better...I wonder had Lebron won it last year if we would be having this conversation at all or if the "Championship" would be brought up as a reason he's better... Think about it a minute.

This is what I mean double standards kill me.

Originally Posted by CP1708

laugh.gif

I don't want to get people sucked into this convo any worse then what's already happening, and this is dangerous territory I'm heading into, but imagine all of us back in 98 jumping up and down that Grant Hill and Jerry Stackhouse right now are better then MJ.  Would folks have let that go back then?  I don't think they would have.  MJ had seen and done all, he was on top, til the day he left.  But he clearly wasn't the same player at 34 he was at 29. 
So why should people be sitting here now saying, yup, without a doubt, players X and Y are better then Kobe, yup, no doubt, he's lost a step.  It's over.  Do you see what I'm sayin?  I mean, what if Durant gets bounced in the first round, and Kobe goes on to win a title this year, obviously meaning Bron doesn't, so we're all to sit back and say Kobe's lost it and these other dudes are better cuz they put up monstrous regular season numbers?  Really? 
Now, if Bron goes out and gets a title and Kobe plays horribly in the postseason, NOW you have an argument that no Laker fan can really argue against.  But until we see that happen, why should we believe anyone else besides Kobe is the best player in the game today? 

Just my .02
CP....I hear what you're saying, but Stack and Grant Hill weren't dominant on both ends of the floor like Lebron.  To me, the title the Lakers won in 2009 has little-to-no bearing on who is the CURRENT best player in the NBA.  Like I said, if we're solely judging off of the play of Lebron and Kobe in the 2009-2010 NBA season, how can you sit there and say that Lebron hasn't been far and away the league's best player?  I just don't get why it's so disrespectful for anyone to even suggest that Kobe is the league's 2nd best player....

I just wanted to make sure. I'm going to take that as you don't.

Better shot, better post game, smarter basketball IQ, BEST KILLER INSTINCT IN THE GAME, Leader of the USA team that brought the gold back which included Bron, Wade and Melo giving it up to Kobe to get the Gold.

Originally Posted by NoReasonableDoubt

Better shot, better post game, smarter basketball IQ, BEST KILLER INSTINCT IN THE GAME, Leader of the USA team that brought the gold back which included Bron, Wade and Melo giving it up to Kobe to get the Gold.
The fact you had to go back at the end of that and bring up MORE past accomplishments is all I needed to see.

LOL.

Originally Posted by CP1708

laugh.gif

Just my .02
CP....I hear what you're saying, but Stack and Grant Hill weren't dominant on both ends of the floor like Lebron.  To me, the title the Lakers won in 2009 has little-to-no bearing on who is the CURRENT best player in the NBA.  Like I said, if we're solely judging off of the play of Lebron and Kobe in the 2009-2010 NBA season, how can you sit there and say that Lebron hasn't been far and away the league's best player?  I just don't get why it's so disrespectful for anyone to even suggest that Kobe is the league's 2nd best player....

It's not disrespectful but people have their differing POV and that's ok, agree to disagree. It's people like that idiot up there calling Kobe an average joe that shouldnt be in here. Has anybody ever called any elite player an average joe?? I mean Kobe is so polarizing it's ridiculous.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Kobe hasn't taken a free throw for two straight games...I think that stat only says enough about Kobe's game at this age.
towelie_bong.jpg

laugh.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
 that is one of the most comical things ive seen here on NT

kobe not taken a free throw in 2 games is the reason why kobes game is on the decline que?

you know that they had a huge lead against the wizards until the 4th qtr when our bench messed it up right?

why would he be aggressive going to the hole against the wizards?
laugh.gif

oh if you saw the spurs game...kobe was playing facilitator getting his teammates involved and even phil had to get on kobe to activate on his scoring and be more aggressive

come playoff time im certain kobe will avg about 10 free throws a game and the whole NT will find a way to criticize him that the refs hooked him up
laugh.gif

the fact is regardless of kobes age...dude could be 40 and still drive to basket for a foul...he puts his body on the line for this game

with that said he is the 2nd best player currently

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

towelie_bong.jpg

laugh.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
 that is one of the most comical things ive seen here on NT

kobe not taken a free throw in 2 games is the reason why kobes game is on the decline que?

you know that they had a huge lead against the wizards until the 4th qtr when our bench messed it up right?

why would he be aggressive going to the hole against the wizards?
laugh.gif

oh if you saw the spurs game...kobe was playing facilitator getting his teammates involved and even phil had to get on kobe to activate on his scoring and be more aggressive

come playoff time im certain kobe will avg about 10 free throws a game and the whole NT will find a way to criticize him that the refs hooked him up
laugh.gif

haha "Activate the ball Kobe, ACTIVATE IT!," Kobe was looking at Phil like W T F?? Then Phil just right out said, "We need you to start scoring out there" haha that's the first time I've heard "active the ball" meaning score.

There are plenty of reasons i have already posted them. The fact that he can lead his team to a championship and is proven is number 1
2. He has an all around offensive game that I believe is tops in the league, name me another player who can effectively post, pass, shoot, defend, close games like he does (Lebron has no post game).

3. The will to win is comparable to nobody else who is currently in the league, nobody!

4. The tools to put the will to win to work and get results.

5. He knows how to win, when to use his teammates and when to take over games. In the past he didn't posses this quality.

Those are just but a few reasons that have little to do with the past and more to do with the now. There will always be a bit of the past in arguments like these because how could we judge someone otherwise? Baed on what we think they will do, I for one don't reason that way.

Back
Top Bottom