Is apu a racist character?? VOL...THE PROBLEM WITH APU

Should I be mad about the Mexican Bee? :emoji_bee:

If you're Latinx, Chicanx or indigenous, I won't tell you how you should feel.

What I will say is that the Mexican Bee seems to be part a broader critique of the pablum that is mass media or at least television in Springfield. The English language shows in the Simpsons Universe are trash so why not show the local version of telemundo in the same way as the Anglo stations.

No more Apu

"
Ever since The Simpsons producer Adi Shankar revealed that, concerning the character Apu Nahasapeemapetilon, the show will “drop him altogether just to avoid the controversy,” tensions have flared. Devoted fans of the long-running animated series, supporters who profess seeing no issues with the character and detractors who claim otherwise have all been chiming in, and comedian Hari Kondabolu has been tagged in much of it. Why? Because his 2017 documentary The Problem with Apu exploded the subject.

As Kondabolu joked late Friday night on Twitter, “RIP Apu. RIP My Mentions.” Yet that wasn’t all the comic had to say about the matter, especially since many were asking for his thoughts about Skankar and company’s latest plan to circumvent the controversy altogether. In response to one person’s comment that “Deleting the character completely misses the point of how we need more South Asian representation to combat the fostered stereotypes,” Kondabolu agreed wholeheartedly. “There are so many ways to make Apu work without getting rid of him,” he tweeted. “If true, this sucks.”

Can liberals agree getting rid of Apu is a bit much?
It really is getting to a point where we looking as crazy as some of the clowns on the right.

They fronted for a while like they weren't fighting a losing battle and still made the wrong decision.

The whole Apu and stereotypes was different in the 90a but they should've smartned up with the use of him. They could've improved the character like they've done with others with a career change. Not using him at all just makes it worse.

But to me this show should've been cancelled years ago.

So taxi driver or owning a subway or dunkin donuts.
Or being a doctor. At least that's seen as a more accomplished successful career.

Or more character focused, make him an actual businessman that owns chain of stores to the point he's on the rise and be competitive with Mr. Burns.

Last edited:
So taxi driver or owning a subway or dunkin donuts.

Immediately thought of Holy Moly Donut Shop

I hope they don't just delete Apu. Give my guy a proper send off like they did Mr Hankey.

Maybe send him to South Park :lol:

Same dudes talking about keep apu are the same dudes who haven’t watched the Simpsons in like 10 years.

If apu is still on the show or if he is removed, I honestly don’t care. Haven’t watched the show since like season 16.

I used to be the biggest Simpsons fan. Used to unplug the phone when it came on. Haven't been interested in over a decade now.

It really is getting to a point where we looking as crazy as some of the clowns on the right.

First, of, do you ever watch the news. Right-wing domestic terrorist are trying to assassinate Democrats, and a white nationalist just shot up a Jewish synagogue, the GOP is out here suppressing people's right to vote, pushing memes about people on the left not being humans so it is cool if they die, and lying about stealing health insurance from people. But yeah, both sides. But yeah, people criticizing racial stereotypes are acting just like right wing nuts :rolleyes

Second, why are dudes so lazy with their hot takes? There was a nuanced critique of the problematic nature of Apu's character, a whole movie's worth. It was not some mob demanding he is axed. Instead of taking some of the suggestion from fans of the show that had issues of the character like: Let an Indian American play him, dial back on the lazy stereotypes, introduce other Indian American characters on the show so there is a counterbalance, or at least acknowledge that your stereotypes cause people harm, the writers of the show gave some weak excuse on air, then retire the character to try to sweep the issue under the rug.

But now blame some mysterious liberal mob for these producer's cowardice.

Good grief

Last edited:
This is more of an indian thing than a liberal issue.

Show's been on the show for a few decades and people now decide to get offended. :rofl:

How about the Mexican Bee? Cletus? The Chinese restaurant owners? Getting rid of one of the show's most well-known characters because somebody finally watched The Simpsons for the first time. What a joke.

Show's been on the show for a few decades and people now decide to get offended. :rofl:

How about the Mexican Bee? Cletus? The Chinese restaurant owners? Getting rid of one of the show's most well-known characters because somebody finally watched The Simpsons for the first time. What a joke.

We know you aren't offended. Aren't you the same cat that let's your wife's family make Asian jokes about you?

You have not been following this story, have you?

Because this is not how this debate got started.

It is hilarious to me that you are trying to mock someone for coming in at the 11th hour with criticism, but you are in fact one doing so regarding this debate. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom