Investment Bankers or Anyone In the Field....

Originally Posted by DB WEST

Originally Posted by CampbellSoup

Originally Posted by DB WEST

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

Is money your only motivation?

No, not really. I mean I by all means wish to be successful, but I've read into the occupation and it seems like I would be a decent fit overall.
I'm in the midst of getting a finance degree, but I know I would need an MBA.
If by perfect fit you mean spending 80 hours a week doing spread sheets and typing prospectuses than yes.  You don't need an MBA though, a BBA will suffice for lower level banking.  Eventually you may have to go back to school though.
I know the hours can be long, but there are rewards and bonuses to be had. Do you know someone in the field?
Yeah, I have a few relatives/family friends in the field.  Also, a few of the people I know in my student organizations have received full-time offers.  I'm only an undergrad myself though.  Make sure you research into different finance positions though, there are a few different options that will give you a better work/life balance like sales or trading which I've been thinking about pursuiting.
I am still an undergrad as well, but keep in contact with me. I'm still trying to determine which way to head in the finance world. I appreciate the feedback.

Do you know anything about banking,finance,corporate management? Investment banking is a stressful job and only a handful make it. Plus serious money is only at large firms.

Do you know anything about banking,finance,corporate management? Investment banking is a stressful job and only a handful make it. Plus serious money is only at large firms.

A really good friend of mine works at BMO capital, He was originally planning on getting his MBA after he graduated but he got the job instead. A few days after July 4th, he went to Chicago for training for about 8 weeks or so, had to take two test, one which was a Series 79. Moved into NYC from LI, has an awesome apartment and is making good money + bonuses but he is working about 70-100hrs and now that it's Janurary it's going to be hell. I believe he goes in around 9 and gets out around 9-10 but there have been many times where he has stayed past midnight.

A really good friend of mine works at BMO capital, He was originally planning on getting his MBA after he graduated but he got the job instead. A few days after July 4th, he went to Chicago for training for about 8 weeks or so, had to take two test, one which was a Series 79. Moved into NYC from LI, has an awesome apartment and is making good money + bonuses but he is working about 70-100hrs and now that it's Janurary it's going to be hell. I believe he goes in around 9 and gets out around 9-10 but there have been many times where he has stayed past midnight.

Front office or bust. Ask some specific questions and I can be of more assistance. Your topic is very broad right now.

Front office or bust. Ask some specific questions and I can be of more assistance. Your topic is very broad right now.

Originally Posted by impalaballa187

I'll send you a PM in a bit or sometime tomorrow.

Originally Posted by impalaballa187

I'll send you a PM in a bit or sometime tomorrow.

If you're serious about IB, talk to NTer reigndrop. I'm looking at the field as well, and he's provided some pearls of wisdom.

If you're serious about IB, talk to NTer reigndrop. I'm looking at the field as well, and he's provided some pearls of wisdom.

I am still an undergrad as well, but keep in contact with me. I'm still trying to determine which way to head in the finance world. I appreciate the feedback.

Well, what areas are you interested in?

Originally Posted by theconditioner

Well, the obvious with investment banking, but I'm also looking in the financial or mutual funds analyst direction as well as financial planning.

Well, the obvious with investment banking, but I'm also looking in the financial or mutual funds analyst direction as well as financial planning.

(edit) NM.

What year are you in college, btw?  Have you taken any corp. finance or accounting courses?

(edit) NM.

What year are you in college, btw?  Have you taken any corp. finance or accounting courses?

Sorry, let me rephrase.  Do you know which area/s within investment banking you might be interested in? 

Honestly, I don't know yet. I won't front, I am not expert on this stuff, but I am eager to learn.
I'm just getting into my upper level business classes and on the cusp of my junior year. Ive kinda bounced around for a few years trying to figure out what I wanna do, but I'm 22 now and am pretty sure finance is my calling.

Sorry, let me rephrase.  Do you know which area/s within investment banking you might be interested in? 

Honestly, I don't know yet. I won't front, I am not expert on this stuff, but I am eager to learn.
I'm just getting into my upper level business classes and on the cusp of my junior year. Ive kinda bounced around for a few years trying to figure out what I wanna do, but I'm 22 now and am pretty sure finance is my calling.

You looking at BB? MM? Boutique?

Want to stay in IBD or jump to PE/VC?

Considered anything else in finance or strictly I-Banking? No Sales/Trading? Their hours are much more reasonable and they're usually the ones who end up controlling the banks.

Any work experience in finance? It's not for everyone.

(BB=Bulge Bracket; MM= Mid-Market; IBD=Investment Banking Division; PE=Private Equity; VC=Venture Capitalist for those that are curious)

You looking at BB? MM? Boutique?

Want to stay in IBD or jump to PE/VC?

Considered anything else in finance or strictly I-Banking? No Sales/Trading? Their hours are much more reasonable and they're usually the ones who end up controlling the banks.

Any work experience in finance? It's not for everyone.

(BB=Bulge Bracket; MM= Mid-Market; IBD=Investment Banking Division; PE=Private Equity; VC=Venture Capitalist for those that are curious)

Back
Top Bottom