"If I Was Black I'd Move To Atlanta and Live Like A King", Says Another New Yorker At Dive Bar

Vine city aint even bad anymore the bluff and mechanichsville is another story though lol. But either way if you got common sense you will be straight
vine city is pretty much the bluff to an extent, but anything near turner field im not fooling with....but yeah common sense and visiting at day and night then on weekend to see how the neighborhood moves

This my house I stay on the southside. Henry County to be exact. School system is still pretty good. 3400 sq feet. About $1300 a month
henry county cool.....clayton county iffy....for some reason when folks talk about the southside they dont include henry county...at least i dont....henry co. and stockbridge are good spots in my book

I personally wouldnt live anywhere not in dekalb or fulton, but to those who want alot of land i dont knock moving out to some of the other suburbs.

This my house I stay on the southside. Henry County to be exact. School system is still pretty good. 3400 sq feet. About $1300 a month
View media item 1950476

Nice crib. Nice whip. :pimp:.

This is what dudes are talking about when they say you can "live" in ATL. But some ****** got grandiose MTV Cribs ideals. Different strokes I guess.

But how your livin is right in line with what I realistically call living. :pimp:

Last edited:
Since he's got a family, I'd imagine OP would probably be better off on the outskirts like the homie Riverdale Road. You can find places like what Henry county has up damn near all over. Stone Mountain would probably be cool for OP since it's a closer proximity to the city and I'd imagine someone coming from NY would still want to maintain some sort of city feel... Even though the city experiences in NY and Atlanta are pretty different.

Since he's got a family, I'd imagine OP would probably be better off on the outskirts like the homie Riverdale Road. You can find places like what Henry county has up damn near all over. Stone Mountain would probably be cool for OP since it's a closer proximity to the city and I'd imagine someone coming from NY would still want to maintain some sort of city feel... Even though the city experiences in NY and Atlanta are pretty different.

I have heard people compare ATL to being like Queens.

Last edited:
Yeah stone mountain/dekalb co works for me since i have caribbean ties and alot of islanders live there, so its more of a melting pot than other counties.

For those that looking for lofs:

www.greatatlantalofts.com

www.atlantaloftsrental.com

Like Lucky said, the downtown area are developing...so you're going to be around the hood.  However, it's not as bad as it was back in 2005 when they were starting the developments.  My first place moving to Atlanta was a new building they just built on Edgewood/Boulevard.  Hella hood. Now it's clean and reformed.

I'm see all sorts of people walking/jogging/biking in the middle of the nights in areas, I never imagine seeing these people.  Places I used to hang out (hay days) are becoming diverse.

Almost like the episode of Shameless...That's how Kirkwood is now.
laugh.gif

But then again, what do you guys define as hood. The Bluff yes...Everything else.. Nawl.  New Orleans had hoods...Coming here, made me laugh.

But different strokes for different folks.

Yeah stone mountain/dekalb co works for me since i have caribbean ties and alot of islanders live there, so its more of a melting pot than other counties.
Islanders & Africans - Stone Mountain, DeKalb

Cobb - Hispanics

Gwinnett - Asian & Hispanics

Like Lucky said, the downtown area are developing...so you're going to be around the hood.  However, it's not as bad as it was back in 2005 when they were starting the developments.  My first place moving to Atlanta was a new building they just built on Edgewood/Boulevard.  Hella hood. Now it's clean and reformed.

I'm see all sorts of people walking/jogging/biking in the middle of the nights in areas, I never imagine seeing these people.  Places I used to hang out (hay days) are becoming diverse.

Almost like the episode of Shameless...That's how Kirkwood is now. :lol:

But then again, what do you guys define as hood. The Bluff yes...Everything else.. Nawl.  New Orleans had hoods...Coming here, made me laugh.

I live on the westside, I literally see the dudes from Snow in the Bluff everyday, lot of these hoods are not bad anymore because they pushed younger people out to CLayco and Douglassville and other burbs. Most of the hoods now are just poverty and the petty crimes that come with it (break ins and stuff like that), if you have street sense you will be straight, the bluff when you get closer to Boone and Northside isn't bad compared to the parts going north towards Bankhead and west towards lowery and beyond. IMO if you are single or just the person you are dating/married to than you might as well move to the "hood" and be the one to transform it, because same thing people say about the West they said about the Eastside and now people looking sick when they see the cost of homes in East ATL lol.

It's not an overnight process but as minorities we gotta be the ones to transform the hood into what we want opposed to just going to the burbs, then cry gentrification when we see other groups transform our old hoods and now the former hot boys in the hood live next door to you in the burbs and are pulling kick doors lol.

I judge hood by mentality, i judge ghetto by looks

in ATL the burbs are the hood lol intown are just people in poverty trying to make it. I hear about more crime where my mom lives in Stone Mountain than I do in my own hood and its "one of the worst" in ATL.

Yeah man, different people have different ideas of what's "bad" and I notice that "bad" areas typically mean "lots of low income Black people" in my experiences.

I used to stay in East Point and there are some nice areas out there and in College Park that are still ITP but Southside has that stigma. I'm from the hood so it wasn't a big deal, I never felt unsafe. Now I'm in O4W not far from King Memorial station and it's much more diverse. You can see the gentrification in progress. Big change from living out East Point lol. But again, depends on perspective.

in ATL the burbs are the hood lol intown are just people in poverty trying to make it. I hear about more crime where my mom lives in Stone Mountain than I do in my own hood and its "one of the worst" in ATL.
if you talking the memorial drive side of stone mountain then yep them cats are ruthless.....but you are very correct about not running to the burbs when it gets tough

Yeah man, different people have different ideas of what's "bad" and I notice that "bad" areas typically mean "lots of low income Black people" in my experiences.

I used to stay in East Point and there are some nice areas out there and in College Park that are still ITP but Southside has that stigma. I'm from the hood so it wasn't a big deal, I never felt unsafe. Now I'm in O4W not far from King Memorial station and it's much more diverse. You can see the gentrification in progress. Big change from living out East Point lol. But again, depends on perspective.
very much so.....it depends on what you are used to and what you can take.

Kirkwood gentrified like a mug. I was actually just looking at a location tag on IG. Hella hipster sht :lol:. So long "Lil Mexico". East Lake around memorial drive got some nice spots in the cut too. You can take memorial right to downtown.

Ditto on the living around the hood stuff. Dudes tried to tell me stone mountain and norcross was hood and to be careful. I looked at it as a getaway coming from Bmore :lol:. Never sleep on an ATL hood though. They might look "nice"...but can get very active.

West end, the bluff, mechanicsville, 9th ward, west side, parts of the Southside, east ATL...you know your in the hood and just gotta have common sense. The others places are relatively nice.

Islanders & Africans - Stone Mountain, DeKalb

Cobb - Hispanics

Gwinnett - Asian & Hispanics

North Gwinnett is almost completely Korean. Right on pleasant hills going up towards Alpharetta. Never seen like a suburban Asian town. Usually in the cities.

Norcross, Tucker, Lilburn parts of Gwinnett have a large Hispanic population. The rest of Gwinnett is mostly white, and middle-upper class blacks. I liked living out there...sht was just too far from the city.

That's a cool spot Riverdale Road lives in. Henry Co. is just a little too far south for me. I'm a city kinda guy, lol. I live in Buckhead now and I wanna house in the Vine City area. East Point is a good up and coming area also. Jefferson park is nice. Not too far south, decent prices, homes with character. Only issue is the schools arent that good in that are, but hey, education starts in the home :lol:

Yea at the end of the day people will call anywhere with a large # of poor blacks "the hood", thing is all these folks are just trying to live their life, but people will make it sound like its on some 1992 compton stuff. Folks dont understand that ATL Literally has a heroine epidemic going on in the "Affluent" northern suburbs, but you won't hear anyone talking about it.

I`d go on to say living in the "hood" is safer than the burbs more so because you are always aware. Home invasions are big in dekalb county because people are so comfortable and you got kids with nothing to do.

education is the one thing holding most of these neighborhoods back

nah I`d say Economic development. You have a lot of people with no where to work, even if they got education they have nowhere to apply the education. On the westside though they have the Westside Works program where they clean you up if you were on drugs, give you on the job training and then get you placed on one of the many construction projects going on in the city.

Back
Top Bottom