"If I Was Black I'd Move To Atlanta and Live Like A King", Says Another New Yorker At Dive Bar

Home invasions are big in dekalb county because people are so comfortable and you got kids with nothing to do.

Heard a lot about "Kick doors" in Dekalb (don't know why the Lil dudes call it that when nobody is there :lol:). But that's accurate. Honestly, that's something to take into account along with the school system. Home invasions are the worst man. Nothing you can do about it.

How do y'all feel about living out Gwinnett? Or Marietta and places like that?

nah I`d say Economic development. You have a lot of people with no where to work, even if they got education they have nowhere to apply the education. On the westside though they have the Westside Works program where they clean you up if you were on drugs, give you on the job training and then get you placed on one of the many construction projects going on in the city.
i work at a dfcs office and these programs are in every county.....from what i see on a daily at work is folk who want things but dont want to put the time in for it, rather "come up" some other way because training is too long for them...but i guess i would see that at a welfare office

Heard a lot about "Kick doors" in Dekalb (don't know why the Lil dudes call it that when nobody is there :lol:). But that's accurate. Honestly, that's something to take into account along with the school system. Home invasions are the worst man. Nothing you can do about it.

I would never live in Gwinnett simply because the only way there is 85 so you will ALWAYS been in traffic.

Marietta and Smyrna are the only places in Cobb I would live, I lived in both and they are decent areas with a good mix of people so you dont have to worry about Cops and rednecks like you do in other parts of Cobb. Smyrna is where all the apartments are and has the best access to intown ATL but with the new braves stadium traffic there will be disgusting. Vinnings is legit too, its the poor mans buckhead pretty much, but Id rather spend the money to live in Buckhead or save money and just live in Smyrna/Marietta.

Heard a lot about "Kick doors" in Dekalb (don't know why the Lil dudes call it that when nobody is there
laugh.gif
). But that's accurate. Honestly, that's something to take into account along with the school system. Home invasions are the worst man. Nothing you can do about it.

all i can say about the kickdoe situations is pay attention to the folks always outside whenever you leave or come home......if the same folks are always outside when you coming and going you better know thats who is doing the most in that neighborhood....never fails.

also if you live in walking distance of a corner store...you are more likely to see a lot more foot traffic through your neighborhood.

and if you live near a pawn shop, you know whats up..

all in all get a good security system no matter where you live

I would never live in Gwinnett simply because the only way there is 85 so you will ALWAYS been in traffic.

Marietta and Smyrna are the only places in Cobb I would live, I lived in both and they are decent areas with a good mix of people so you dont have to worry about Cops and rednecks like you do in other parts of Cobb. Smyrna is where all the apartments are and has the best access to intown ATL but with the new braves stadium traffic there will be disgusting. Vinnings is legit too, its the poor mans buckhead pretty much, but Id rather spend the money to live in Buckhead or save money and just live in Smyrna/Marietta.
marietta was good ...id recommend

gwinnett.....too much traffic

all i can say about the kickdoe situations is pay attention to the folks always outside whenever you leave or come home......if the same folks are always outside when you coming and going you better know thats who is doing the most in that neighborhood....never fails.
also if you live in walking distance of a corner store...you are more likely to see a lot more foot traffic through your neighborhood.
and if you live near a pawn shop, you know whats up..
all in all get a good security system no matter where you live

yup, also Cameras in your crib. The Upside is folks aint doing kick doors when people are home because the people doing it are kids and dont want that static, but an issue could be if you are gone but your kid or someone is still at the crib which is why you need to have legit security measures and always do things like keep your home well lit especially if you move to the burbs because some are in heavily wooded areas.

Gwinnett County >>>>>>>>>>>

The value here is unreal. If I had a family and lived in this area, this is where i'd cop my mansion for the low. Seems pretty diverse too with great schools. Like my cuz just graduated school there and on top of a football star, son was a honor roll student and musical genius.

But as a single dude making decent money, I like the developing areas in the city, my boy got a spot in one of those areas. Like i'm close enough to the ratchets that worship you cuz they think you got it, and all the action of the city, and might make connects with a hood ***** or two to hold me down since I didn't grow up a cornball, but still safe when I close the door.

I live in Charlotte, been here for the last 6 years. Nothing like GA, in my opinion.

I try to convince my wife every other month that we should move to ATL.

I live in Charlotte, been here for the last 6 years. Nothing like GA, in my opinion.

I try to convince my wife every other month that we should move to ATL.
i went out there not too long ago and it looks like a city waiting to be took over....if the goons out here knew how gravy it looks out there, it'll be over.....it reminded me of atl in the 90s, place with possibilities

If you single /living by yourself don't move to Gwinnett, that's straight family area and you will find yourself in traffic and wasting time going back and forth to the city anyway :lol:

If I can find a job in ATL or Charlotte I'm dippin right back down south , ain't even thinkin twice ... Anybody got info on any other cool cities to live in in the south ? (Orlando, Memphis, etc )

Last edited:
View media item 1950647
I drive by the new Braves stadium everyday and can see it from work. You can see a lot of new apartment/condos being built in preparation for it on damn near every street off Cobb Pkwy. With the influx of new people that'll probably move in, and the fact that the trains don't run on this side of town, traffic on the perimeter is going to be worse than what it is now. Wherever I get a place, I have to be within 10 mins of a Marta station. Can't beat the $100/month to commute to/from work.

If you single /living by yourself don't move to Gwinnett, that's straight family area and you will find yourself in traffic and wasting time going back and forth to the city anyway :lol:

If I can find a job in ATL or Charlotte I'm dippin right back down south , ain't even thinkin twice ... Anybody got info on any other cool cities to live in in the south ? (Orlando, Memphis, etc )

Lol man eff Gwinnett the money saved just goes out the window having to commute intown for everything and being in traffic at that.

If you single /living by yourself don't move to Gwinnett, that's straight family area and you will find yourself in traffic and wasting time going back and forth to the city anyway
laugh.gif

i noticed a few folks headed down to tamp/orlando from atl.....i been wondering the same about which other cities are cool

I wouldn't mind being out there in John Creek...Just that 400 traffic..

It's going to be a city of it own soon...

Doesn't matter, I am leaving anyhow...
laugh.gif

Last edited:
ATL is a "to each his own" type of place for me.  It's cool a lot of under belly stuff crackin.  A great place to find a wholesome fine black women to make your wife with purpose beyond handbags, shoes, and cars.  But the second I get off this paperwork I'm headed back to LA.  I promise!  They be trying to hand out numbers outside of Fulton county.

Last edited:
Depends on where in south fulton.....usually the southside is rougher in my opinion than the north but prices are also lower....if you do a house make sure its not any subdivision that rents to section 8...northside has better schools
I have a cousin from here in NY, moved down there and told my wife those little dudes are ruthless. They got cool with daughter and then stole their personal stash to smoke, started cooking up all her food and what not, after school 
laugh.gif

My cousin's husband kinda about that life, so he wasn't in the best of moods when it happened 
laugh.gif
. ​

Glad I don't have daughters.
Rougher? Man stop...is it because south Fulton is 89% Blacks?

My daughter's mother (who's a lawyer) lives on the south side - 5 bedroom house, (2013) built and paying around $1050 a month(including taxes and insurance) with a huge backyard...all the young upcoming families lives on the south side...

My parents lives 2 subdivision down from Denzel Washington who happens to live on the south side of Fulton County.

A lot of celebrities/successful African Americans live on the south side of Fulton county.

You have Camp Creek area - Butner Road...Stonewall Tell area.

Cascade Road area across from Fairburn Road area...

You have deep South Fulton past Hwy 138 on Old National hwy area...

Mableton is coming up to on the westside...

Parts of College Park/East Point is getting re-done...

Some of Lakewood and High Point is seriously coming up

Some parts of Union City...not a lot

Parts of the West End is getting a change but it's slow...if you are investing then yes. To move a family and wait, on the fence because the schools aren't that great.

You can go to Cobb County and parts of Gwinett County (Both have some of the worse traffic jams) Their school system are better...

Alpharetta and up is a good area but it's so far out and 400 traffic is the worse.

Gentrification is so real in the metro area it's not funny...you better get on it soon....

Edgewood, Kirkwood, Reynoldstown, Old Fourth Ward, Capital Hill, Cabbagetown, Grant Park, West Midtown, anywhere around that Beltline (www.beltline.org)

For me I live downtown in a loft..1900sq ft paying under $1500 with a skyline view of the city. 2 mins from the hwy, in the upcoming grant park/capital hill area. Okay schools.

If you concern about schools, they're charter schools here...private school is an option.

Just do your research on the school districts and then make a decision:

http://www.schooldigger.com/go/GA/schoolrank.aspx
Good info, haven't lived in a loft in years. 
frown.gif

Oakland city is on the come up because its near the westside beltline. I saw you mentioned you had kids. its easier to thug out a neighborhood in transition when its just you or your and your wife but with kids you just have to take a tad more precaution, but as others stated south fulton would be more "family ready" than intown neighborhoods in their transition stages BUT getting in early could mean landing in a potential gold mine so its just depends on if you have time to deal with the nuances.
I saw some nice houses for $20,000 ....
3V8qFHN.png

Was thinking of buying maybe one or two and rent one out for supplemental income. But I keep hearing the neighborhoods aren't all that safe.
This my house I stay on the southside. Henry County to be exact. School system is still pretty good. 3400 sq feet. About $1300 a month
nthat.gif
 not to get in your business, but do you rent or own? This would be something I'd buy.

For those that looking for lofs:

www.greatatlantalofts.com

www.atlantaloftsrental.com

Like Lucky said, the downtown area are developing...so you're going to be around the hood.  However, it's not as bad as it was back in 2005 when they were starting the developments.  My first place moving to Atlanta was a new building they just built on Edgewood/Boulevard.  Hella hood. Now it's clean and reformed.

I'm see all sorts of people walking/jogging/biking in the middle of the nights in areas, I never imagine seeing these people.  Places I used to hang out (hay days) are becoming diverse.

Almost like the episode of Shameless...That's how Kirkwood is now.
laugh.gif

But then again, what do you guys define as hood. The Bluff yes...Everything else.. Nawl.  New Orleans had hoods...Coming here, made me laugh.

But different strokes for different folks.
nthat.gif
 on the links! Being from the city, I'd definitely want a loft but I also want my kids to have a decent childhood ya' know? Backyard, a tree house, fireplace, etc....

Last edited:
I have a cousin from here in NY, moved down there and told my wife those little dudes are ruthless. They got cool with daughter and then stole their personal stash to smoke, started cooking up all her food and what not, after school :lol: .

My cousin's husband kinda about that life, so he wasn't in the best of moods when it happened :lol: . ​

Glad I don't have daughters.

Good info, haven't lived in a loft in years. :frown:

I saw some nice houses for $20,000 ....
3V8qFHN.png

Was thinking of buying maybe one or two and rent one out for supplemental income. But I keep hearing the neighborhoods aren't all that safe.

:nthat:  not to get in your business, but do you rent or own? This would be something I'd buy.

:nthat:  on the links! Being from the city, I'd definitely want a loft but I also want my kids to have a decent childhood ya' know? Backyard, a tree house, fireplace, etc....

I own bro

Last edited:
I own bro
Took a look through your Instagram. Seems like you're truly living like a king in Atlanta. Salute to your family btw 
nthat.gif

Question, do you ever get bored with the small town life (no offense)? For me not being close to water bugs me.
I can see the Manhattan skyline perfectly from my rooftop, there's nothing like it. As much as I complain, I love the diversity here in NY.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom