How to become a business major Vol. 1

Not all business majors are vapid frat boys who have picked that major because they had to pick something and were too dumb to hack it anything serious sothey picked general business and will get to have job at in the family business. At most, it is 40% 55% tops. There are some tough business majors, especiallythe finance and accounting majors. I had to take a few business classes to get my economics degree and business communication was a joke but financialaccounting too some concentration and thinking (contrary to popular belief, math beyond basic algebra was not needed. The real difficulty was in rememberingthe rules and knowing when and how to apply them). I have some friends who were business majors and said that a few classes were very tough and most are veryeasy.

I think that business gets a reputation for being anti-intellectual because even when the curriculum is not easy, it is still seen as rote based technicaltraining and the perception is that when someone is in college they should branch out and think and be searching out new things, including new thingsintellectually. People who are 18-23, who can only think about business come off as soulless or at the very least as kind of a bunch of tools. Too top it alloff, there is the perception that all business major assumed they would be rich and would having some ultra remunerative and high powered job and either theywill get a rude awaken or their delusions will be confirmed but only because their dad is the CFO of a major bank or something like that.

That is an unfair stereotype. Unlike, say poli sci or other social science students, business majors are pretty apolitical and I actually respect that quite abit. There is nothing worse than the freshman poli sci major who doesn't know much of anything, at least not at that point in his academic life, but willnever utter the words "I do not know" because regardless of the issue at hand he has to not only have an opinion but actually believes that hisopinion is superior to anyone who disagrees.

I personally did not like the idea of majoring in business because employers generally do not take seriously much of anything you did in undergrad. It is truewhat people say, businesses train you so use your undergrad time to study broad and fundamental ideas and do not over specialize or base your education aboutspecific skills that will be made obsolete. I picked economics and History because the former says I can research and work with numbers and the latter saysthat I can read large in large volumes and I can write well about it. I would suggest to NTers in college to do what you like if you are really, really good atit and if you still cannot choose a major, pick the hard major that you can hope to pas, so a science or engineering or math if you are really smart.

Also remember that your undergrad major can influence your career path but it does not decide it by any means. Look at me, I majored in econ and History and Ihave my job as the chief of the GPD, Grammar Police Department. Of course I joined the grammar police so I could shake down crack dealers, who are inwheelchairs; forcing the rookie Grammar Cop member to smoke a joint laced with angel dust and to, or course, dig up millions of dollars in a drug dealer'skitchen, who committed the terrible act of saying "whom" when he should have said "who" and thinking it made him sound more formal.

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

Originally Posted by Twistedb9

Im about to start my junior year in college- Univ. of Kentucky- and I am currently a business major.

I like the business field and all I have ever wanted to become was something business related. Problem is- the field is so large that I dont know

what direction to take.

What does NT suggest? What are some of the better fields in regards to business?
Consulting.

That's the fast track to CEO if you end up @ McKinsey.

probably bad advice. consulting has been flooded since all the financial guys have lost their jobs and MBA students looking to be financial guys had to findsomething else to do. they all went into "consulting"

businessweek.com has a pretty decent "B-school" section that keeps the pulse of business education to an extent, mostly MBA stuff but it's goodto know.

take intro classes of all the paths: finance, marketing, management/HR, accounting, etc. see which you like best. and if you can land some type of internshipthat would be the best thing.

Originally Posted by Snake201

Originally Posted by jjsrf

im sure we can all agree that communications is the major with the least skill required

Yurp.

People @ my school stay want to argue this is false.
laugh.gif
Aight g, good luck in your patterns of math class
indifferent.gif

Back
Top Bottom