How to become a business major Vol. 1

laugh.gif
@ this thread. If you want to major in business, major in business.Good luck it aint easy if you aint good in math. Given the things you're not good at you could still try English/Education/Teaching, Philosophy,Architecture(Get your Vandalay on), computers, etc.

What I don't get about OP is he claimed he was leaving NT when he reached 4k posts, he didn't for w/e reason and now it seems he makes twice as morethreads than he did before he made that announcement
laugh.gif

Flagler eh, never heard of it. looks like it's in the cut of the Barry/St. Thomas mold.

Originally Posted by davidisgodly

WHOA WHOA WHOA

This was suppose to be a joke, why are people taking this seriously?!

slow NT day

i didnt know this was a joke...

but my curriculum required arts, math, and science for a business degree.

Originally Posted by davidisgodly

WHOA WHOA WHOA

This was suppose to be a joke, why are people taking this seriously?!

I got the joke, but it's hard to find humor in it when it's kind of inaccurate

Business Marketing major...by the way anyone have that list showing starting salaries pertaining to certain majors?

average starting business major salary after graduating from my school is like $71,000, that seemed high to me

Originally Posted by ninjallamafromhell

Business school is where people go when they can't cut it as an engineer
laugh.gif

I was originally an EE major but then i got the thinking and when i'm out of college and what not, I don't wanna be working on circuits etc . A LOT ofpeople have the mental capability to get an engineering degree but most people dont want their career after college to be focused on something they considerboring. that's pretty much it.

someone tell me what an engineering major lands you? what would you do with it and what would your job be?

Originally Posted by that WAVE

Business Marketing major...by the way anyone have that list showing starting salaries pertaining to certain majors?

average starting business major salary after graduating from my school is like $71,000, that seemed high to me
$71,000 seems pretty high for an average starting salary. What school is this? And what field?

Here are the Spring '08 numbers from my college (Mays Business School at Texas A&M University), which has been ranked in a couple of top 25 lists(I've seen anywhere from ~22 - ~45) over the last few years:

Spoiler [+]
[size=-1][size=-1][sup]1[/sup][/size] Offers: The number of offers refers to reported job offers where salary information was provided. We did not recieve salary information on all offers so there may be more companies than offers.[/size]

Business Administration

[table][tr][td][size=-1]Degree[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]Offers[size=-1][sup]1[/sup][/size][/size][/td] [td][size=-1]Avg[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]Max[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]Min[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]St. Dev.[/size][/td] [/tr][tr][td][size=-1]Bachelor[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]2[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]$50,000.00[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]$50,000.00[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]$50,000.00[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]0[/size][/td] [/tr][/table]

Accounting

[table][tr][td][size=-1]Degree[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]Offers[size=-1][sup]1[/sup][/size][/size][/td] [td][size=-1]Avg[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]Max[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]Min[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]St. Dev.[/size][/td] [/tr][tr][td][size=-1]Bachelor[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]14[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]$48,607.00[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]$65,000.00[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]$15,000.00[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]10808[/size][/td] [/tr][/table]

Ag Business

[table][tr][td][size=-1]Degree[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]Offers[size=-1][sup]1[/sup][/size][/size][/td] [td][size=-1]Avg[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]Max[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]Min[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]St. Dev.[/size][/td] [/tr][tr][td][size=-1]Bachelor[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]0[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]N/A[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]N/A[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]N/A[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]N/A[/size][/td] [/tr][/table]

Finance

[table][tr][td][size=-1]Degree[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]Offers[size=-1][sup]1[/sup][/size][/size][/td] [td][size=-1]Avg[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]Max[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]Min[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]St. Dev.[/size][/td] [/tr][tr][td][size=-1]Bachelor[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]88[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]$50,546.00[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]$100,000.00[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]$25,000.00[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]10273[/size][/td] [/tr][/table]

Info & Ops Mgmt - MIS

[table][tr][td][size=-1]Degree[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]Offers[size=-1][sup]1[/sup][/size][/size][/td] [td][size=-1]Avg[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]Max[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]Min[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]St. Dev.[/size][/td] [/tr][tr][td][size=-1]Bachelor[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]30[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]$54,363.00[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]$65,000.00[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]$37,000.00[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]6623[/size][/td] [/tr][/table]

Info & Ops Mgmt - Supply Chain Management

[table][tr][td][size=-1]Degree[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]Offers[size=-1][sup]1[/sup][/size][/size][/td] [td][size=-1]Avg[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]Max[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]Min[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]St. Dev.[/size][/td] [/tr][tr][td][size=-1]Bachelor[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]2[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]$47,650.00[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]$52,000.00[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]$43,300.00[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]6152[/size][/td] [/tr][/table]

Management

[table][tr][td][size=-1]Degree[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]Offers[size=-1][sup]1[/sup][/size][/size][/td] [td][size=-1]Avg[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]Max[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]Min[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]St. Dev.[/size][/td] [/tr][tr][td][size=-1]Bachelor[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]24[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]$45,208.00[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]$100,000.00[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]$27,000.00[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]13809[/size][/td] [/tr][/table]

Marketing

[table][tr][td][size=-1]Degree[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]Offers[size=-1][sup]1[/sup][/size][/size][/td] [td][size=-1]Avg[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]Max[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]Min[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]St. Dev.[/size][/td] [/tr][tr][td][size=-1]Bachelor[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]73[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]$39,687.00[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]$61,000.00[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]$11,400.00[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]8697[/size][/td] [/tr][/table]

Originally Posted by PoeticJays

laugh.gif

really?

all the engineers i've talked to said they go to business school so they can get into management (where they make more money)

Dude is ignorant as hell or has never worked at an engineering firm.
Can't cut it as engineers? Undergad, maybe. But I'd rather have an MBA then an M.S. in engineering. Nobody with any kind of business sense wants to bean engineer after the age of 30. You want to get bossed around by managers who are younger than you? You want to be foot soldier your whole life? Even a CheifEngineer, the pinnacle of technical knowledge (P.E. + years in the field) is still a soldier, granted a Cheif Engineer is more of a rook than a pawn.

Anyways, You can get into engineering management without an MBA and even manage your own engineering firm (if you have a P.E.), however an MBA will give youthe business knowledge needed so bankers, attorneys and other managers won't screw you over.

This is comming from an EE. I know alot of engineers who realized that engineering was not glamourous, would not bring in "models and bottles", wentto B-school and became consultants or investment bankers.

I think a lot of people do something business-related because they don't really know what else to do. It kind of ruins it for those of us who do it becausewe actually like it.

Originally Posted by DayDayz e36

someone tell me what an engineering major lands you? what would you do with it and what would your job be?

75% of Engineers I know don't actually do the super technical engineering. It's more business related engineering. Doing cost analysis,macros,schedules etc with engineering projects. So if you're worried about sitting in a lab all day, don't worry. I know plenty of engineers who wear ashirt and tie to work. It all depends on your job.

Where do you work? Just google fortune 500. Most of those companies have engineers working for them. The big bucks are in oil and technology. Less people doengineering than business and there are more jobs per graduate available for engineering majors. Also, next to investment banking, engineering is the highestpaid field with only a bachelors degree (65-90k right out of school depending on your discipline and industry.). However, you'll have an easier timelanding a job at ExxonMobil than Goldman Sachs.

I really don't see the appeal of getting into a strictly business oriented career until after my MBA unless I land a finance type job at an ibank orconsultancy job at a top consultant firm. The salaries seem rather low and I need to pay my school loans off ASAP.

Im about to start my junior year in college- Univ. of Kentucky- and I am currently a business major.
I like the business field and all I have ever wanted to become was something business related. Problem is- the field is so large that I dont know
what direction to take.

What does NT suggest? What are some of the better fields in regards to business?

Originally Posted by Twistedb9

Im about to start my junior year in college- Univ. of Kentucky- and I am currently a business major.
I like the business field and all I have ever wanted to become was something business related. Problem is- the field is so large that I dont know
what direction to take.

What does NT suggest? What are some of the better fields in regards to business?
Consulting.

That's the fast track to CEO if you end up @ McKinsey.

Originally Posted by JaYzNyAyAlLdAy

laugh.gif

I was originally an EE major but then i got the thinking and when i'm out of college and what not, I don't wanna be working on circuits etc . A LOT of people have the mental capability to get an engineering degree but most people dont want their career after college to be focused on something they consider boring. that's pretty much it.
Same here only I was a ME major... I'm majoring in business and I'm good at math which makes some of the courses that people struggle witheasier

there are definitely harder business majors out there, such as finance majors. Im going for Computer Info systems, and its a business major. Its can be tough

i dont really like the undergrad b-school curriculum. i could have gone to some good b-schools but instead chose to go to Northwestern Econ. I feel Econ is abetter major than b-school curriculum. Look at almost every top school (Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Princeton, Duke, U of C, NU, etc.) and you see that none ofthem have an Undergrad B-school program. Why? If you are that interested in business, you will get your MBA in the future. No point in wasting undergrad yearslearning little about stuff you will learn about more in depth in the future. Engineering is the toughest major by far and if I had to do it over again, Imight do engineering because the mental grind prepares you for any workload in the real world. No other major compares in difficulty at my school.

Originally Posted by bijald0331

i dont really like the undergrad b-school curriculum. i could have gone to some good b-schools but instead chose to go to Northwestern Econ. I feel Econ is a better major than b-school curriculum. Look at almost every top school (Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Princeton, Duke, U of C, NU, etc.) and you see that none of them have an Undergrad B-school program. Why? If you are that interested in business, you will get your MBA in the future. No point in wasting undergrad years learning little about stuff you will learn about more in depth in the future. Engineering is the toughest major by far and if I had to do it over again, I might do engineering because the mental grind prepares you for any workload in the real world. No other major compares in difficulty at my school.
What about UPENN and UVA?

Originally Posted by Snake201

i dont really like the undergrad b-school curriculum. i could have gone to some good b-schools but instead chose to go to Northwestern Econ. I feel Econ is a better major than b-school curriculum. Look at almost every top school (Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Princeton, Duke, U of C, NU, etc.) and you see that none of them have an Undergrad B-school program. Why? If you are that interested in business, you will get your MBA in the future. No point in wasting undergrad years learning little about stuff you will learn about more in depth in the future. Engineering is the toughest major by far and if I had to do it over again, I might do engineering because the mental grind prepares you for any workload in the real world. No other major compares in difficulty at my school.

UPenn, yes. UVA, not over the schools I mentioned. I would also recommend Ross (UM) and Haas(Cal). Im talking about top-tier here, so take that intoconsideration. Also, USC is good.

Originally Posted by dlsilva21

Originally Posted by infamousod

if you're not good in math good luck getting through financial accounting
Correct... or Seminar in Finance... International Finance.
word. Just because you're not good at those other subjects does not mean u should be a business major

Originally Posted by Snake201

UPenn, yes. UVA, not over the schools I mentioned. I would also recommend Ross (UM) and Haas(Cal). Im talking about top-tier here, so take that into consideration. Also, USC is good.
I am going to be applying to UPENN, UVA and UNC(as a back up) for next school year. I just finished freshman year with a 3.95 gpa.

Back
Top Bottom