Hide Ya Wives, Hide Ya Kids: Worldwide Coronavirus Pandemic!

Are You Getting The Covid Vaccine?

• Yes

• No

• Only if mandatory

• Not if mandatory

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
This is the thread of the year kingkoopa kingkoopa
shibadekobe shibadekobe :nthat:
Moving as fast as a 2011 or 2012 holiday Jordan XI thread. I was at page 400. :lol:
I’ve been glued to this thread for weeks and have been following it since the beginning.

NT legit always has the best news sources.

I remember during the 2016 election too, NT’s commentary was so accurate. I expect it to be the same this year.

For whatever reason, the fatality rate is 2x higher in Santa Clara than all of LA

I live in Palo Alto now and couldn’t imagine going through this if I lived in SOMA, the Mission, etc. no motivation to even go out and get some air out in those areas because it smells like $@@& and there are needles everywhere :lol:
I hear you, luckily over here in Bayview they're usually just passing through. The worst I had to deal with is a guy riding a bicycle that always has a different story every time he asks for a dollar. I stop giving him change after he left my fresh baked cookies on the sidewalk after I came back from walking my dog.:lol:

The rich and famous get coronavirus, too. But it’s no equalizer.
Coronavirus may be the one thing that doesn’t care how rich or important you are. But the rest of us still do.

A virus cares nothing for class or station.

As the list of notables who have tested positive for COVID-19 lengthens, it’s clear this pandemic can touch anyone: sports stars, celebrities, politicians, and princes. It doesn’t matter how many houses, or Instagram followers, you have. It seems we’re all equally susceptible to the infection, and its consequences.

Every day more prominent people join the club. Among its members: America’s sweetheart Tom Hanks, and his wife, Rita Wilson; Idris Elba; Jackson Browne, Rudy Gobert of the Utah Jazz; Kevin Durant of the Nets; Kentucky Senator Rand Paul. This week, Prince Charles, the 71-year-old heir to the British throne, and Harvard president Lawrence Bacow each announced positive test results.

It’s tempting to conclude, as Madonna did via Instagram on Sunday, that COVID-19 is some kind of “great equalizer.”

“What’s terrible about it is that it’s made us all equal in many ways,” she said, in a since-evaporated post. “And what’s wonderful about it is that it’s made us all equal in many ways.”

Many of us have epiphanies while performing our ablutions. But the pop icon’s revelations issued forth from one of her lavishly appointed bathrooms, where she luxuriated in a milky tub strewn with rose petals.

This great leveler theme goes only so far.

In the meantime, let's not kid ourselves. The positive COVID-19 tests of the rich and powerful proclaim not equality, but its opposite.

Years ago, in early March, ordinary people had to clear Herculean hurdles to get tested, unless they were gravely ill. Yet entire asymptomatic NBA teams were quickly screened for the virus. Even now, with capacity growing in some states, there are strict guidelines governing which ordinary people qualify for testing. But famous names, and well-connected ones — some showing no signs of disease or especially high risk factors — continue to reveal positive or negative results. How did prominent politicians, including Paul, get tested so easily when legions of their constituents are still being denied?

President Trump was asked about the well-connected skipping to the front of the line at a press conference last week.

“Perhaps that’s been the story of life,” he said, issuing a rare truth, and an everlasting one

There will come a time, sooner than any of us want, when a powerful person’s coronavirus diagnosis will not be quite so notable. The virus will have traveled so far, binding so many of us to its chain of illness and death, that it will no longer seem remarkable that this movie star or that linebacker has it.

If and when this country’s capacity to administer tests catches up with its claims of greatness, the totals will be so shocking that individual cases will be less so — especially if we fail to do enough to slow the spread of the virus
It is that story of life, and not some gauzy counter-narrative, that COVID-19 reveals. Maybe the virus does not discriminate, but our nation sure does.

It goes beyond the testing, of course.

Just as the most powerful among us can leverage money and connections to get diagnoses that elude others, so too can they afford to better protect themselves as the pandemic spreads. Some are fleeing close urban quarters for more spacious second or third homes in less dense places, where they compete with locals for scant supplies and, if disaster strikes, medical care. Hospitals on Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket — which have only 39 beds between them — have asked part-time residents to stop heading to the islands. The same story is playing out in the Catskills, the Jersey shore, the Hamptons, and Blaine County, Idaho, a high-country getaway that is now a coronavirus hot spot.

And you can bet that if hospitals become overwhelmed, and the shortage of ventilators becomes catastrophic, the very rich will find a way to get better access to those, too. Already, a Seattle ventilator manufacturer told The New York Times, wealthy people have been calling to ask if they could buy their own personal breathing machines, just in case.

As the president has insisted on talking up an unproven treatment for COVID-19, those with the right connections have been stockpiling that, too, even if it means others will suffer. Doctors and other prescribers have been snaffling up hydroxychloroquine, the drug Trump keeps touting — without scientific backup — for themselves and their families, creating shortages for those who desperately need the drugs, like people suffering from lupus.

The health care system has long been a place where inequality has life-or-death consequences. We’re just seeing it more clearly now.

The chasm between the very rich and the rest of us might yawn widest, but there are plenty of similarly troubling gaps up and down the line: Between workers who have the luxury of keeping their jobs, Instagramming end-of-day cocktails at home, and those who are already unemployed and unable to pay the rent on their apartments, for example; between those worrying about that rent, and those who have no homes at all; between those stressed out over their kids’ remote learning, and those whose kids have no Internet access at all.

In an instant, this pandemic has laid bare the fairness fissures we have long known, just not so vividly. It would be a tragedy if we were to take the wrong lessons from this costly moment.

Look, there’s clearly an upside to famous people revealing their positive test results: Seeing that an NBA star has the virus forces other young, otherwise healthy folks to take it seriously, too; if it can get a member of the royal family, maybe more commoners will take better precautions; and a few famous faces have used their platforms to call for more vigilance, distancing, and better health care access for everybody.

That’s all to the good. But let’s not turn this into “Celebrities: They’re Just Like Us!”

They’re not, and never will be. Unless we make it so.

Gilead CEO: We're on track to have initial data in the coming weeks
"When the news of the coronavirus first emerged, Gilead immediately began to investigate the potential of remdesivir, a medicine we had been studying for many years as part of our extensive research in antivirals. Remdesivir had never been approved for use but based on what we had learned to date, we knew it might have potential with the novel coronavirus. Since then, we have been working with the greatest sense of urgency and responsibility to determine whether remdesivir does indeed work against COVID-19," he writes.

"Multiple studies are ongoing, and we are on track to have initial data in the coming weeks. If it is approved, we will work to ensure affordability and access so that remdesivir is available to patients with the greatest need.

"In the meantime, we have made the investigational medicine available for severely ill patients who cannot enroll in a trial. This 'compassionate use' program is typically reserved for a small number of individual cases but there is nothing typical about this crisis and to date we have provided remdesivir to more than 1,000 patients.

"With expanded access, hospitals or physicians can apply for emergency use of remdesivir for multiple severely ill patients at a time. While it will take some time to build a network of active sites, this approach will ultimately accelerate emergency access for more people."

Does anybody have any numbers or know what’s going on with the coronavirus in Encino California I have family there and I’m very concerned

Finally got an update on my mom. Initial Covid-19 test is a negative, which is really good. They gotta test her one more time because her symptoms match that of a positive but otherwise no real change.

She’s still on a tube and sedated so no calls or text. The nurse is supposed to call in the AM.

Still no where near home free but it’s a good start. Hardest part about this on the family side has to be not being able to see and speak with those currently admitted m.

91203269_1863034983831171_7934801703965032448_n.jpg
so true. :lol:

Finally got an update on my mom. Initial Covid-19 test is a negative, which is really good. They gotta test her one more time because her symptoms match that of a positive but otherwise no real change.

She’s still on a tube and sedated so no calls or text. The nurse is supposed to call in the AM.

Still no where near home free but it’s a good start. Hardest part about this on the family side has to be not being able to see and speak with those currently admitted m.

thank goodness your mom is Somewhat OK but excuse my ignorance in my questioning if your mom doesn’t have the coronavirus why are her symptoms flaring up

is it the worry that she has it ?
Again sorry if I’m not asking this question correctly

thank goodness your mom is OK but excuse my ignorance in my questioning if your mom doesn’t have the coronavirus why are his symptoms flaring up

is the worry that she has it ?
Again sorry if I’m not asking this question correctly

man I have no idea tbh. The nurse only had a couple mins to speak understandably so that’s all she kinda gave me. She did say my mom has a relatively healthy history, which I’d agree With (never seen mom in hospital etc).

For now it could be just bad luck in terms when she got pneumonia. They chose to test her again so I’m a little worried they don’t trust their results for now based on the symptoms but that’s really all I know. Hopefully tomorrow we see signs of improvement in her chest X-rays but that’s doubtful (even with traditional cases of pneumonia).

man I aint never been so anxious to go back to work in so long.

tomorrow is Monday for me and I'm like here contemplating if I even want to go.
Someone at my brother's work just tested positive. He got a text from his job. Some guy quit a little over a week ago, he wasn't feeling good. His condition got worse so he got tested and it came out positive. They just told my brother and everyone where he works to quarantine. My brother came by yesterday and we hung out, but I'm more worried about my parents. They're both 70 and he was at their house when he got the news today. Not good. S*** feels different when it hits home.

Back
Top Bottom