Hide Ya Wives, Hide Ya Kids: Worldwide Coronavirus Pandemic!

Are You Getting The Covid Vaccine?

• Yes

• No

• Only if mandatory

• Not if mandatory

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Something that's undeniable is that things are still pretty far away from being over or back to normal and people all over the world are suffering. US economy hasn't even started seeing the effects of the pandemic.

11 million jobs were lost (source) and no wonder when all of these people will be employed again.

I remember that, here in Colombia, the first couple of months the talk was about how countries directly dependent of the US will do after all this is over, and truth is they will do much worse.

Take the islands that were only funnelled cash through US tourists, them people is over for a long time.

NGOs, fight against narcotraffic, development in science throughout the world was heavily funded by the US.

Aside from all that, I gotta admit that I'm on the optimistic side, incompetence by politicians, and government as a whole, are the basis for good reforms, it might take time, but the world will be in a better route. At least before global warming ends it all for all of us.

Piketty said in The Capital, back in 2013, that substantial tax and wealth reforms can only be started from a really hard inflection point, we're seeing it right now.

The cost in lives (I myself loose two family members to this chaos) was and is continuously being to great for it to not produce a meaningful change.

Which one was the more lethal/deadly one? Iirc there are 3, right?
I’m not sure I understand your question. There have been many different relatively minor mutations. Some have been said to make the virus easier to be transmitted, but none proven to be more lethal or significant enough to make vaccines ineffective. The longer it is allowed to circulate among human and animal populations, the more mutations there will be. Evolution tells us that the measures we take (masks, distancing) will lead to the more easily transmissible mutations to be the ones that survive and spread. It also tells us that as we vaccinate, there will be evolutionary pressure for the virus to mutate away from the vaccine. That doesn’t mean it’s definitely going to happen, because we have vaccinated successfully against other viruses in the past.

1608520380861.jpeg

I’m not sure I understand your question. There have been many different relatively minor mutations. Some have been said to make the virus easier to be transmitted, but none proven to be more lethal or significant enough to make vaccines ineffective. The longer it is allowed to circulate among human and animal populations, the more mutations there will be. Evolution tells us that the measures we take (masks, distancing) will lead to the more easily transmissible mutations to be the ones that survive and spread. It also tells us that as we vaccinate, there will be evolutionary pressure for the virus to mutate away from the vaccine. That doesn’t mean it’s definitely going to happen, because we have vaccinated successfully against other viruses in the past.
Wouldn't a corona virus mutate more like a flu virus that needs yearly vaccinations vs the measles vaccine that doesn't really need to be given yearly? Also isnt this the first successful vaccine against any of the corona viruses? I did read that the CoV2 does mutate rapidly but not effectively if I understood correctly.

technically, that variant of the virus has been circulating in the UK since September so it’s likely everywhere by now. Is the US even doing genetic sequencing? I haven’t heard of any widespread multi-state cooperation in that regard and my guess would be no. I know it has definitely been found in other countries.
I don't know if it's because of that particular variant, but it was reported today that South Africans have also been barred from entering a number of countries because of a new strain that has been detected there. This one spreads faster and is more visible among younger people.

Wouldn't a corona virus mutate more like a flu virus that needs yearly vaccinations vs the measles vaccine that doesn't really need to be given yearly? Also isnt this the first successful vaccine against any of the corona viruses? I did read that the CoV2 does mutate rapidly but not effectively if I understood correctly.

From what I understand, coronaviruses mutate much more slowly with minor changes in the string of single stranded RNA, whereas influenza viruses don't just mutate, they undergo full genetic shifts that make the specific strain vastly different very quickly. With COVID-19, it typically undergoes changes in individual amino acids that can slightly change specific properties of the virus, but often these changes are minor. If you want more scientific info, I can try and dig it up and post if I have time.

Last edited:
hope ppl aren't going to let their guard down even more because vaccine is out. going to take awhile for it to reach the rest of us

Seeing some of these scumbags in Congress get the vaccine when they were Covid deniers makes me sick. We aren't out of the woods by a long shot. States like Florida and South Dakota are cesspools with scumbags for governors that don't care. California tried but things aren't going great. People need to do zoom Christmas and New Year's this year.. We need to mask up and stay away from each other.

Back
Top Bottom