HBO'S "Insecure" [ Created by Issa Rae ► Season III: 2020 ]

i dont dislike amanda seales husband. He seems like a real smooth put together dude. while Freq seems fake smooth.

dude that went with Issa, her cousin I guess, dude had the jokes on deck. Son was funny.

What made them soft?

Rarely defend themselves or stand up to the women when they come at em

i dont dislike amanda seales husband. He seems like a real smooth put together dude. while Freq seems fake smooth.

True. Can't really remember how he was in the first season but just the conversation of him and Lawrence in the bar he did come off as a level headed dude that could translate well with the ladies. Which would explain why he was able to pull ol girl

And I'm not one to wholly subscribe to that "beta/alpha male" nonsense....

But all of Issa's friends seemed to have a certain type of guy as their companion at the dinner party.

Them boys was all soft....and seemed very controllable. Lawrence included

Thats an interesting take... i may go back and watch the scene but nothing was obvious to me in that regard.

For a show called "Insecure" I feel like that may have been an opportunity missed to kind of explore that topic... isnt a "controllable" guy rooted in some form of insecurity?

In semi defense of the dudes tho...I have been to enough birthday dinners like that where I feel like most the dudes are just there so we "dont get fined" lol... I view those things as all apart of the compromises that come along with relationships.

Thats an interesting take... i may go back and watch the scene but nothing was obvious to me in that regard.

For a show called "Insecure" I feel like that may have been an opportunity missed to kind of explore that topic... isnt a "controllable" guy rooted in some form of insecurity?

In semi defense of the dudes tho...I have been to enough birthday dinners like that where I feel like most the dudes are just there so we "dont get fined" lol... I view those things as all apart of the compromises that come along with relationships.

+1

And I'm not one to wholly subscribe to that "beta/alpha male" nonsense....

But all of Issa's friends seemed to have a certain type of guy as their companion at the dinner party.

Them boys was all soft....and seemed very controllable. Lawrence included

At what point, in season 1, when he was with Issa, was Lawrence controllable?

May be a stretch but when she was stayin' with Molly during their "separation" and he seen her in the store.

This. How are we supposed to act when we get invited somewhere with our women? They're taking us to show off how handsome we are and how dope our relationship is. If it didn't matter, she'd go solo. I mean i didn't see anybody acting like step and fetch it. But when you go out with you shorty, and around her friends, gotta be on that best behavior for both of yalls benefit. Girls are catty. Theyll trash you if you're acting off and roast her behind her back about you.

I think we're looking more as of the guys as a whole not just from this particular scene

That's why I asked my question earlier. You just gotta do some stuff you really don't want to in relationships. I'm sure women feel the same

But like who though? Seales husband doesn't come off as a soft boy to me. Daniel isn't soft, though he's had some questionable acts. Apartment d played issa to the left. Freq playing molly hella hardbody. christopher darden didnt care about her either. kelly, her dude is young. she did dress him like moms do their kids tho and put him in a girls jacket...but again, he's young. Prolly thinks he's doing it, getting box and cashed out on gear. I'm just trying to think about whom is the subject when 'soft, controllable' men is brought up? These women seem like the soft ones to me. And emotionally unstable and immature as all hell.

I'd wager women feel that way less often.
In relationships it's acceptable for a man to put up with doing things he doesn't want to do much more than a woman. Hence the phrase "Happy wife, happy life"

100%

You just outlined one guy being dressed by his girl and wrote it off as him being young. Even with being young, he was still controlled.
His case is more direct but the others are a bit deeper.

Excluding Daniel and Apartment dude because we were talkin' about the guys at the dinner party specifically.

Seals husband was shown to be a bit soft last season, can't say what specifically but I think it was at that first party they were introduced on the show 1st season. I want to say it was a bit of a "go fetch me something" situation.

You just outlined one guy being dressed by his girl and wrote it off as him being young. Even with being young, he was still controlled.
His case is more direct but the others are a bit deeper.

Excluding Daniel and Apartment dude because we were talkin' about the guys at the dinner party specifically.

Seals husband was shown to be a bit soft last season, can't say what specifically but I think it was at that first party they were introduced on the show 1st season. I want to say it was a bit of a "go fetch me something" situation.

Right, but i made the point of calling him young because that may be his motivation for allowing himself to be 'controlled' because of what he receives. Gifts stop, then he's over the relationship. So it's not quite the same as just being a soft dude. She's, indirectly, paying for his interest and loyalty.

I just dont really view any of the guys on the show as being soft guys or alpha guys. they're just guys, in relationships. Strange things can happen when you link up with the right woman. Or the wrong one.

So it's not quite the same as just being a soft dude. She's, indirectly, paying for his interest and loyalty.

She told her friends that the jacket he's wearing is actually a woman's jacket. In his face. Even being young I'd think you'd have an objection with that. It's 5-6 year olds that will tell they mama they don't want to wear certain clothes but this grown man is lettin' it happen but he not in some way soft because he's young and basically being bought? Nah.

It's less about being soft but more about not standing up for themselves. My wife can pick out some clothes for me out of my own closet and I still have the respect for myself to say Nah.

man oh man the happy wife happy life mantra!!
*que the zo mourning gif*

But I think its more acceptable for us guys because we are sorta known to be less emotional and unbothered by most stuff that aint related to like money, family or insert whatever main interest or hobby we have. The more we moan and complain or pitch fits over what could be chalked up a lot of times as "minor inconveniences" may come off looking feminine or incompatible, right?

Not to make it racial because i think all men are viewed like this, but as a black man we already carry a huge burden, chip or whatever you want to call it. So its like we can handle everything else and prosper but we cant suck it up and put the wife or ladies happiness first? I mean how many of us are willing to die on that hill? --(I mean out of the ones that decide to settle down.) That would seem to be an odd place to draw the line outta all the stuff we gotta deal with. Not to mention... you actually end up winning if your woman is returning the same love.

She told her friends that the jacket he's wearing is actually a woman's jacket. In his face. Even being young I'd think you'd have an objection with that. It's 5-6 year olds that will tell they mama they don't want to wear certain clothes but this grown man is lettin' it happen but he not in some way soft because he's young and basically being bought? Nah.

It's less about being soft but more about not standing up for themselves. My wife can pick out some clothes for me out of my own closet and I still have the respect for myself to say Nah.

but you're talking from your point of view. these young dudes arent like us. these young dude wear womens clothes. Hell kanye damn near 40 and you can google plenty of pix in him from coachella in a womens blouse. While i def get what you're saying. Young dudes are different. Easpecially in a relationship with an older woman, it's a different game. The women have the leverage because they have the experience. Same as with an older guy and younger woman. He could be wrapped around her finger or he could just be young dumb and full of cum.

man oh man the happy wife happy life mantra!!
*que the zo mourning gif*

But I think its more acceptable for us guys because we are sorta known to be less emotional and unbothered by most stuff that aint related to like money, family or insert whatever main interest or hobby we have. The more we moan and complain or pitch fits over what could be chalked up a lot of times as "minor inconveniences" may come off looking feminine or incompatible, right?

Not to make it racial because i think all men are viewed like this, but as a black man we already carry a huge burden, chip or whatever you want to call it. So its like we can handle everything else and prosper but we cant suck it up and put the wife or ladies happiness first? I mean how many of us are willing to die on that hill? --(I mean out of the ones that decide to settle down.) That would seem to be an odd place to draw the line outta all the stuff we gotta deal with. Not to mention... you actually end up winning if your woman is returning the same love.

I can agree a bit on complaining being viewed as a more feminine trait but the issue it creates is that it makes having an issue with how something is working/running as something only women have the right to voice. Which leaves men in a purgatory of "Do I suffer in silence or make my feelings known"

Most men will bottle it up and deal with it, sufferring because wife is happy and end up sleeping with a woman who "understands". All in all, communication is key. A real man will speak up for himself and a real woman will not disregard his concerns nor judge him for complaining.

but you're talking from your point of view. these young dudes arent like us. these young dude wear womens clothes. Hell kanye damn near 40 and you can google plenty of pix in him from coachella in a womens blouse. While i def get what you're saying. Young dudes are different. Easpecially in a relationship with an older woman, it's a different game. The women have the leverage because they have the experience. Same as with an older guy and younger woman. He could be wrapped around her finger or he could just be young dumb and full of cum.

The vast majority of young dudes are not with wearing women's clothes. I see what you saying but I think the few examples online are heavily outweighed in real life.

If dude is unemployed with nothing going for himself I could see him just putting up with everything because she buyin' him stuff but he hasn't been shown to be helpless. At best, he really likes her and is putting up with it.

I can agree a bit on complaining being viewed as a more feminine trait but the issue it creates is that it makes having an issue with how something is working/running as something only women have the right to voice. Which leaves men in a purgatory of "Do I suffer in silence or make my feelings known"

Most men will bottle it up and deal with it, sufferring because wife is happy and end up sleeping with a woman who "understands". All in all, communication is key. A real man will speak up for himself and a real woman will not disregard his concerns nor judge him for complaining.

all of this is gold.

My guy outchea preaching gospel today. Well said.

Communication is def key. I think a mix of being up front about what you don't like to do...and compromising occasionally to doing stuff you don't like to do is a delicate balance that leads to a healthy relationship.

Hell yea, you gon do a bunch of stuff you don't want to do. Hell wife asked me yesterday if I felt like going to the store to get eggs since she forgot to pick some up. I was like "Nah! But I'll go"

Finding a balance between compromise and complaining is difficult and I'd be hardpressed to say who it's harder for:

Women hearing complaints and not flipping the problem on the man instead of addressing it
vs
Men making a complaint and taking the chance on being called out for act like a lil b**** for not just dealing with it

But once you can build and cross that bridge, all that movie ish and them movie arguments look SOOOOOOO STUPID

Back
Top Bottom