Have you ever picked up and just moved away?

My circumstance a bit different, but I'll go...

Married with a bunch of kids.... Dying to get out of the distractions, and unhealthy environment of busy city life in the northeast.
An online friend said he had work and a place to stay. So I quit my job, moved my family to the midwest, out in the sticks.
My wife was down for it all, which gave me peace with the decision. We lived in my friends camper for a couple months while I stacked
money doing construction. I went from the busy city street of the east to in the middle of no where... and I love it.
I saved up to get a house, and I been out here for bout a yr now. Best decision ever. Got more space for less money.
Got a lil garden where I grow my own food. Got a bunch of friends who farm and always giving me free stuff (I eat organic, so that $$$ Im saving)
Fresher air, slower pace, just an all around better quality of life. I took a giant chance and my family is soo much happier for it.
I just got back from NY, I been back 3x so far. Thought I was a city boy for life, the grass is much greener on this side.

So dope man. Glad things worked out for you and the family.

I only considered doing this once when I was younger... Thought I could catch a 1-way to Maui and start a new life, maybe open up a snow cone shack or something. Had to quit smoking that gas for a minute and get my mind right lmao.

I packed up my freelance jobs and moved to Mexico to write a book, become a luchador, build a livable party bus, and travel the world as an underground international ambassador saving humanity from itself through colorful charisma and a newfound discovery of shared interest.

true story.

From from NY to LA about 4 years ago.

I had a pretty good office job at a marketing firm but I quickly found out I wasn't made for the 9 to 5 Monday to Friday life. Saved up about 5k and drove across the country and I don't regret it at all. Crashed with a friend in Long Beach for about a month before I was able to find a good paying gig and a nice pad in K Town. If you want to do it, just do it.
exactly what i want to do. But from DC to LA.

Moved from Chicago suburbs to Houston in 2014 when I was 24 right after earning my Masters. Been here ever since. Literally googled the cheapest apartment and said eff if, Ima move down here and Im going to make this work. Rode down here with bout a grand to my name and grinded it out to where I am now.

Lot of broke days....lot of broke days. But I planned it out. Saved, did hella applications and got a good job within a month within my field. Was working there for 3 years and I Just recently got a new job two months ago with wayyy better pay and better hours. Im Getting married next week. Life is beyond good and Im happy as hell that I just up and left. I even got two of my Brothers to move away and do the same thing and they are out here doing well also. I must say to see where I am now to what I started with definitely gets me emotional at times because depending on how far you move as well as your financial situations, you really are the only person you got, and that realization can be a bit heavy for most.

My advice is to plan it out. See how much you think youll need for three months and shoot for it. Also plan out the route youll take if it doesnt work. Just in case it doesnt go as planned at least you know you have a solid exit strategy. Ive seen so many ppl I know try to come down here and try to wing it and they are right back to where they came from in weeks and in a worse position.

But just do it man, if you feel your built for the journey I strongly encourage it man. You can be amazed by how much you can accomplish when youre away on your own and your only option is to win.

Last edited:
So dope man. Glad things worked out for you and the family.
Yea man, thanks. Things coulda went left real easy, but when I made the decision to do it, it felt right. When my wife was wit it,
that was further confirmation. I was scared and nervous. Leaving our families and friends behind, going into an unknown situation,
with a lifestyle i'm not used to, with people i dont really know... It was the biggest risk I ever took. But I really wanted something
different for my fam and I. I didnt want to potentially wait in vain for it, I just decided to go get it.

Yeah picked up and moved from SF to Philly with 3 G's when I was 22. Stayed at a hostel for 2 weeks till I found a spot. I found a $500 a month dump and lived there for 6 months and partied like a rockstar working odd jobs then came back to SF. I liked Philly back in the early 2000's.

Last edited:
9.5 years ago, I gave up my academic scholarship to college. I was very much unhappy. I quit my job, sold my car and saved up $2000. Bought a 1 way ticket from VA to LA. I didn't have any friends or family in LA. I knew no one. I remember getting off the plane and the taxi dropped me off on Hollywood Blvd/Orange Dr and just left me there. I'll never forget the feeling of "oh ****... what the eff did I just do?!?" :lol:. I found a hostel that would let me stay for mad cheap (like $25 a day) and I built my life from there, brick by brick.

My experiences over these almost 10 years...I can't quite put into words for you right now. I simply don't have enough time to properly convey just how difficult it has been on my own all these years. But it has truly made a man out of me and I'm grateful for every trial. In the old days, especially in foreign civilizations, boys would go through a "rite of passage" in order to become a man. We don't place much importance on such things in American society, but I can tell you that I believe every person should go through their own rite of passage...whatever that may be for that individual.

You never know what greatness you are capable of until you have to be...great.

My wife and I were extremely close to doing this but then our careers went in a different direction so we didn't

I still want to though

One day I'll move to Oahu

Do it bro! I wanna move back to Hawaii, but Vegas treats me good here! The money is way better here than Hawaii.

I've also thought about just saving $150k, pull my pension, sell my house and cars and just move to Miami.

But all these Hurricane events these past years quickly changed my mind. I'll stick to traveling for now!

Man all your guys stories are awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Wifey and I were close to moving to FL from NY but then she got this city job. We're gonna try out and if she's not happy we're gone 100%. I work for an airline so the transfer for me is easy. I'm getting tired of this city life and feel like it's suffocating at times but with her new job we're giving it one last chance. We want to be happy and situated once we decide to have kids.

For those of you saying you'd move to Hawai'i specifically Oahu if you get the chance , please don't. Not to sound mean or anything :lol:

The island is getting overpopulated and every year I visit traffic is getting worse each time. Cost of living is skyrocketing. The Japanese are taking over everything and the local government is corrupt as it's always been. And trust me the locals don't want any mainlanders moving there.

The 808 will always be my home but it's getting too expensive and the traffic is just as bad, maybe even worse than it is here in SoCal

Last edited:
9.5 years ago, I gave up my academic scholarship to college. I was very much unhappy. I quit my job, sold my car and saved up $2000. Bought a 1 way ticket from VA to LA. I didn't have any friends or family in LA. I knew no one. I remember getting off the plane and the taxi dropped me off on Hollywood Blvd/Orange Dr and just left me there. I'll never forget the feeling of "oh ****... what the eff did I just do?!?" :lol:. I found a hostel that would let me stay for mad cheap (like $25 a day) and I built my life from there, brick by brick.

My experiences over these almost 10 years...I can't quite put into words for you right now. I simply don't have enough time to properly convey just how difficult it has been on my own all these years. But it has truly made a man out of me and I'm grateful for every trial. In the old days, especially in foreign civilizations, boys would go through a "rite of passage" in order to become a man. We don't place much importance on such things in American society, but I can tell you that I believe every person should go through their own rite of passage...whatever that may be for that individual.

You never know what greatness you are capable of until you have to be...great.

Find time and tell us what the hell you did in those 10 years. I wanna know why you're not on Skid Row right now? I wanna know what was the purpose of moving to LA? What job did you first have? What job do you have now? Come on man.

For those of you saying you'd move to Hawai'i specifically Oahu if you get the chance , please don't. Not to sound mean or anything :lol:

The island is getting overpopulated and every year I visit traffic is getting worse each time. Cost of living is skyrocketing. The Japanese are taking over everything and the local government is corrupt as it's always been. And trust me the locals don't want any mainlanders moving there.

The 808 will always be my home but it's getting too expensive and the traffic is just as bad, maybe even worse than it is here in SoCal

I'm gonna start telling people everywhere to move to Oahu now that you said that.

Cost of living is up there definitely! Which is why I reconsider moving back.

I would like to retire there though. But who knows what it would look like 20 years from now :lol:

Thanks for sharing all of these stories. Looking forward to more.

Definitely validating my potential decision to bounce.

I see all of my friends settling with a job, home and two kids and while I'm happy for all of them, it's just not for me. Or at least it isn't yet.

I feel like there's a lot more I need to see and experience. My only issue is I need space. I wouldn't want to crash on someone's couch or rent a "room." I definitely appreciate solitude but I wouldn't call myself a loner.

In to 2014 I sold everything that would not fit in my 2 door coupe and moved from Houston to Chambersburg, Pa for a govt. gig. It was a really small town, mostly Caucasian and some Amish. I wasn't happy in Houston, my plan was to get to the DC area and Chambersburg, Pa was closer to DC. Second day in Chambersburg, Pa I was offered a position in the DC area.

My circumstance a bit different, but I'll go...

Married with a bunch of kids.... Dying to get out of the distractions, and unhealthy environment of busy city life in the northeast.
An online friend said he had work and a place to stay. So I quit my job, moved my family to the midwest, out in the sticks.
My wife was down for it all, which gave me peace with the decision. We lived in my friends camper for a couple months while I stacked
money doing construction. I went from the busy city street of the east to in the middle of no where... and I love it.
I saved up to get a house, and I been out here for bout a yr now. Best decision ever. Got more space for less money.
Got a lil garden where I grow my own food. Got a bunch of friends who farm and always giving me free stuff (I eat organic, so that $$$ Im saving)
Fresher air, slower pace, just an all around better quality of life. I took a giant chance and my family is soo much happier for it.
I just got back from NY, I been back 3x so far. Thought I was a city boy for life, the grass is much greener on this side.

This is insane with a family and all. Glad it worked out.

I almost moved to Utah about 2 years ago for a job opportunity. This girl in my online class worked HR for a company that was hiring MBA grads. Found out I was having a kid when I graduated so I decided to stay in Houston.

Back
Top Bottom