Greg Oden Out for Season vol. Deja Vu

People still defending this pick?

Even when Oden was healthy, he wasn't nearly the player people were gassing him to be.

Cats were calling him "can't miss" when dude was hacking.

He's always been a bigger, stronger okafor at best

People still defending this pick?

Even when Oden was healthy, he wasn't nearly the player people were gassing him to be.

Cats were calling him "can't miss" when dude was hacking.

He's always been a bigger, stronger okafor at best

Wish I could find all those old posts about what Bill Simmons said about Oden right before that draft. Sports Guy is lookin' like Nostradamus right now.

Originally Posted by SHUGES

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Originally Posted by dland24

Was a stupid pick at the time, looks even worse now. Terrible.

ya because picking a 7 footer who was pretty good in college was stupid
For real. I hate when ppl kill Por for this pick.

Durant was an absolute beast at Tx. Anyone who watched CBB that year knew he was the truth.

But Greg did his thizzle at OSU too. Back then, not too many ppl could kill Por for making that decision.
"did his thizzle" C'mon man.
laugh.gif
roll.gif

But yeah, I don't blame Portland for taking Oden. He dominated at Ohio St. defensively and destroyed Horford + Noah in the championship game.

Wish I could find all those old posts about what Bill Simmons said about Oden right before that draft. Sports Guy is lookin' like Nostradamus right now.

Bigmike with a classic condescending comment.  It was stupid at the time for multiple reasons.  Period.

so did you say that at the time or pulling a CP and just saying it now?

Durant was an absolute beast at Tx. Anyone who watched CBB that year knew he was the truth.

But Greg did his thizzle at OSU too. Back then, not too many ppl could kill Por for making that decision.
"did his thizzle" C'mon man.
laugh.gif
roll.gif

But yeah, I don't blame Portland for taking Oden. He dominated at Ohio St. defensively and destroyed Horford + Noah in the championship game.

WOW... That is just terrible. I'm not even kidding about this... I really hope he has a strong support group. He has to be so depressed. Just terrible.

Bill Walton even feels bad for him.

Bigmike with a classic condescending comment.  It was stupid at the time for multiple reasons.  Period.

so did you say that at the time or pulling a CP and just saying it now?

WOW... That is just terrible. I'm not even kidding about this... I really hope he has a strong support group. He has to be so depressed. Just terrible.

Bill Walton even feels bad for him.

Yes he's done... But did they not learn from past mistakes? Sam Bowie over someone by the name of Michael Jordan, fast forward to the future and Greg Oden over Kevin Durant?

I cant believe there are so many people who are arguing that it wasnt a stupid pick at the time.

I cant believe there are so many people who are arguing that it wasnt a stupid pick at the time.

Yes he's done... But did they not learn from past mistakes? Sam Bowie over someone by the name of Michael Jordan, fast forward to the future and Greg Oden over Kevin Durant?

It was pretty much a consensus that Oden was the #1 pick it wasn't a dumb pick at all at the time...He showed no knee injuries and dominated with one hand at OSU leading a team to the NCAA Finals. Dominant center's especially now are once in a generation, it was not a bad move at the time. Injuries are the one thing you can't really predict.

I'd like to see him try to come back but dude should just retire. He has enough money and is a smart kid, go back to college and finish up your degree.

Portland fans should be blaming their scouts.

Both Oden and Roy had identifiable ailments when they were drafted.

Portland fans should be blaming their scouts.

Both Oden and Roy had identifiable ailments when they were drafted.

dland24 wrote:

i wish i could dig up the article but Bill Simmons predicted this story for Oden. Said he looked unhealthy, and when he seen Oden walk through the door he looked nothing like the great centers of the past (Ewing, Shaq, Admiral, etc.). He predicted dude wouldnt have the drive to be great or would be unhealthy. He even quoted a GM that said Oden had the body of a 40 yr old, and had one leg that was longer than the other, which would lead him to back and/or knee problems.

dland24 wrote:

i wish i could dig up the article but Bill Simmons predicted this story for Oden. Said he looked unhealthy, and when he seen Oden walk through the door he looked nothing like the great centers of the past (Ewing, Shaq, Admiral, etc.). He predicted dude wouldnt have the drive to be great or would be unhealthy. He even quoted a GM that said Oden had the body of a 40 yr old, and had one leg that was longer than the other, which would lead him to back and/or knee problems.

It was pretty much a consensus that Oden was the #1 pick it wasn't a dumb pick at all at the time...He showed no knee injuries and dominated with one hand at OSU leading a team to the NCAA Finals. Dominant center's especially now are once in a generation, it was not a bad move at the time. Injuries are the one thing you can't really predict.

I'd like to see him try to come back but dude should just retire. He has enough money and is a smart kid, go back to college and finish up your degree.

Back
Top Bottom