Gran Torino.......Go See It!

yea i saw this a few days ago, great movie! definitely NOT what i expected it to be, will definitely cop on bluray!

Seen this movie over the weekend hilarious....it's one of those movies I wouldn't seeing it again...

Originally Posted by SleepyBlueDemon

Originally Posted by Club29

Great movie plot. As mentioned, the asian actors in this were TERRIBLE.

When Thao (toad) was locked in Walt's basement? "WALT! WALT! GET ME OUTTA HERE!"

I mean, was the director pressed for time that he couldnt do a few more takes of that one? sheesh
Yeah, that scene was particularly poorly-acted. But overall, it was a very enjoyable movie. Great little story.

Not as good a movie as Million Dollar Baby, but just as enjoyable. Walt (Clint) was badass and there's a lot of funny moments; most intentional, and some not (like the scene described above).

"Yum Yum"
laugh.gif

I will say this, though: Gran Torino > Benjamin Button.
I liked it a lot more.
Co-sign

Gran Torino > Benjamin Button

I couldn't stop
roll.gif
roll.gif
..when they were in the barbershop *Walt and Thao*..i thought the girl Asianactress *Sue* was okay for the most part..she was tolerable..

Can't wait for the dvd..

Originally Posted by His diabolical Majesty

Originally Posted by ONHOLLOWEDGROUND821

I know plenty of old Military Vets who talk just like that, true story

My step dad fought in the Korean war. I saw the similarities in character except my dad didn't talk about the war or said racist things like that. Movie is appreciated. Non BS film, they showed Hispanic and Blacks as gang bangers and didn't make it all heartwarming by having some good token Black/Hispanic citizen. Even showed how old school Clint was by him talking on interracial relationships. It was real in that aspect.

I'm not sure what you meant by that statement; but I hope you don't mean what I think you mean. You made it seem as if being Black or Hispanicautomatically means you can't be a good citizen. Like we're all out there shooting the first person we see in the street.

just to share, my friends point of view of the movie (which i totally agree with). He's filipino, from Seattle, currently lives in Cali. Says everythingthat I would say about this movie, just worded better:

"You know there were things about it i liked, but there were things i didn't. i think the point of the movie was to parody racism, and show thatpeople have common ground. but in a way i feel liketo some ignorant peopel it may only reinforce stereotypes about asian people, and give people new derogatoryvocab about asians. PLUS i really cringed every time he used the words !+!% and %%*!+,and i felt weird that all the people it he audience who were mostly whitewere laughing. isnt it interesting how the only person who can save the hood is still an old white guy? its this whole john smith pocahontas and tomcruise inlast samurai attitude. id like to see the people in the neighborhood empower themselves more... it was weird."

about the acting, to me...all of it was horrible. Clint was horrible. He made the movie so entertaining tho, with the way he would grunt and squint his eyes,point that fake gun. Toad was horrible. I couldn't take another minute of Sue. He she was confronted my the black guys (when she was with the white guy) Icould barely understand what she was saying.

and to the guy who said I should wait for the next dmx movie.....hilarious...

edit: the censored words are the ones clint constantly and lovingly called all asians in the movie

Clint is the only reason this movie is decent. His phrases and jokes were too funny. Racist but funny.

Originally Posted by 18key

Originally Posted by NYelectric

I was laughing the entire time. I thoroughly enjoyed it from the first growl to the last.
Word. After like 10 minutes of the racist stuff I just started laughing at all of it. All these words I've never heard for Asians. And the barbershop scenes had the entire theater
roll.gif
I was honestly in hysterics during the funeral scene at the beginning. The faces and growling were way too funny. At first it seemed like thetheater was taking it seriously and was getting pissed off at me, but after about ten minutes everyone was laughing.

just watched it earlier tonight.
movie was
glasses.gif

ending was
pimp.gif

non stop racism was
roll.gif

the asians acting was horrible and annoying at times

The story was pretty good, acting? Terrible, especially "Toad" and his gangster cousins. Clint was non stop funny all the way through, from the first2 minutes of the movie I knew I was gonna be dying laughing for the rest of the movie. The best scene was in the barbershop with Toad.

"Jesus, Joseph and Mary. These humong (sp) broads are like badgers"
roll.gif

But no way in the world this should win any awards. It wasn't intended to be a comedy was it? Because I know that's why a majority of you liked it,including myself. Ending was kinda wack too, but the "academy" loved No Country For Old Men and God knows that ending wreaked of garbage IMO.

This movie was actually filmed in my hometown! Highland Park, Michigan! They shot some of the movie directly down the street from my house! This movie wasreally good to me and it was so nice to put my neighborhood on the map. Our city is 2.9 square miles!

Originally Posted by HP31308

This movie was actually filmed in my hometown! Highland Park, Michigan! They shot some of the movie directly down the street from my house! This movie was really good to me and it was so nice to put my neighborhood on the map. Our city is 2.9 square miles!
YESSIRRRR...and the last scene when toad was driving the Grand Torino by the lake, that was lake saint clair, and the shoot was in gross point...istay in romeo.

I just saw it, and enjoyed it.

I did laugh a few times when I guess it was 'expected', but the underlying message was deep.

Clint Eastwood was the perfect role for the bad-!%$ white male who is living in 2008 thinking it's still the 1950s.

The Asian actors in this movie were HORRIBLE
It was an amazing movie none the less

I also liked this better than Benjamin Button

But there were immature people in my theater yelling racist asian slurs
smh.gif

There were whites, blacks, and asians in the movie when I seen it. Everyone was hella uncomfortable after the movie ended (and mean-mugging white people). Ididn't know whether to laugh or shake my head at some parts.

Back
Top Bottom