Government Employees have to be the dumbest

I'm a government employee myself and I agree wholeheartedly with the computer stuff, my co-workers are clueless about some of the simplest stuff. But I can't really blame them, their in a whole different generation than me and the government still very much relies on the old way of doing things. A lot of the programs I use on a daily basis are old as hell and need an update

I'm a government employee myself and I agree wholeheartedly with the computer stuff, my co-workers are clueless about some of the simplest stuff. But I can't really blame them, their in a whole different generation than me and the government still very much relies on the old way of doing things. A lot of the programs I use on a daily basis are old as hell and need an update

Originally Posted by one1 1 1

Originally Posted by SoVerSoTowel

Originally Posted by Grey

yet you're typing in a dark blue font against a black background
grin.gif

this
30t6p3b.gif

c'mon son im not a cat
i copied and pasted it from my outlook but made an edit. calm down

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by dnaisdaillest

Originally Posted by neukicks

It isn't only in the Government sector, it is EVERYWHERE. 

Yup. I work for a database software company. We get people from government to private industry that have no idea what they're doing.

what company?

Originally Posted by dnaisdaillest

Originally Posted by neukicks

Yup. I work for a database software company. We get people from government to private industry that have no idea what they're doing.

what company?

neukicks wrote:

- came in here just to say this.

....i work for DHS as well. i know a great deal about computers myself so i help our IT dept out when i can to help their workload on little things. its crazy how ill help someone with the absolute most juvenile thing on a computer and people act like i helped them circumvent a NSA firewall. i mean stupid stuff like teaching them the difference between 'save' and 'save as'.

- i remember one time this department was using a database full of high-res photos of the terrain of the local counties. the interface they were using allowed them to upload photos as well. do you know these dudes that have been doing this job for i know more than 5 years, didnt even know what a jpeg, bmp, of tiff file was? whomever they were getting the pics from for some reason this time the extension was left off and them dudes was lost.
.....after i got the pictures working again, they hit me with the "whew, thanks man. we've been here for 6 hours trying to figure it out"
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by Mister Negative

Computer illiteracy ≠ Stupidity
indifferent.gif

.....um....yes, yes it does.

- they let the fact that its electronic get in the way of their will to learn about it. to not know and not need it...thats understandable. but to have an occupation where the use of a computer is a must and you dont even know the BASICS, and im talking computer %++# that they teach at senior centers? yeah THAT = STUPIDITY.

...i mean you have people coming in everyday to work 'winging it' on the computer. thats like being a driving delivery guy with no license and never having driven a car.......while not trying to get a license either.

neukicks wrote:

....i work for DHS as well. i know a great deal about computers myself so i help our IT dept out when i can to help their workload on little things. its crazy how ill help someone with the absolute most juvenile thing on a computer and people act like i helped them circumvent a NSA firewall. i mean stupid stuff like teaching them the difference between 'save' and 'save as'.

- i remember one time this department was using a database full of high-res photos of the terrain of the local counties. the interface they were using allowed them to upload photos as well. do you know these dudes that have been doing this job for i know more than 5 years, didnt even know what a jpeg, bmp, of tiff file was? whomever they were getting the pics from for some reason this time the extension was left off and them dudes was lost.
.....after i got the pictures working again, they hit me with the "whew, thanks man. we've been here for 6 hours trying to figure it out"
indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

- they let the fact that its electronic get in the way of their will to learn about it. to not know and not need it...thats understandable. but to have an occupation where the use of a computer is a must and you dont even know the BASICS, and im talking computer %++# that they teach at senior centers? yeah THAT = STUPIDITY.

...i mean you have people coming in everyday to work 'winging it' on the computer. thats like being a driving delivery guy with no license and never having driven a car.......while not trying to get a license either.

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

neukicks wrote:

indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

Again, how do you know that every position requires that they have computer knowledge. To my earlier copy and pasted example, maybe they are client facing and deal with more interactions and completing signature transactions, and they only need to use the computer very infrequently - and use support sparingly - how is that incompetent to their job position? I'm sure I can come up with more examples, if you like.

neukicks wrote:

indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

Again, how do you know that every position requires that they have computer knowledge. To my earlier copy and pasted example, maybe they are client facing and deal with more interactions and completing signature transactions, and they only need to use the computer very infrequently - and use support sparingly - how is that incompetent to their job position? I'm sure I can come up with more examples, if you like.

Originally Posted by oidreez

I'm a govt employee and I'm pretty computer literate

This. With the employees that know nothing comes the smart ones too. It's everywhere. My boss has his PHD in engineering from Stanford smartest person I think I have ever met. Not to mention the scientist on our campus is a Nobel prize winner but don't know him. So believe me there are smart people that work for the government too. I know some dumb ones as well thought. Lol

Originally Posted by oidreez

I'm a govt employee and I'm pretty computer literate

This. With the employees that know nothing comes the smart ones too. It's everywhere. My boss has his PHD in engineering from Stanford smartest person I think I have ever met. Not to mention the scientist on our campus is a Nobel prize winner but don't know him. So believe me there are smart people that work for the government too. I know some dumb ones as well thought. Lol

Originally Posted by 6dollaBURGER

neukicks wrote:

indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

....okay, first off, "to have an occupation where the use of a computer is a must......" is saying that IF you have a postition that requires you to use a computer. i never said all government positions do. calm down.

.....HOWEVER, i work for a division of DHS and i can tell you every single position within us requires the use of a computer. from clocking in and out to annual training. you cannot have a position with who i work for and not have to use a computer every single day for one reason or another.
...and yes (at least with who i work for), even in client facing, even with completing signature transactions and the like, you still need to know the BASICS due to the databases we use. matter of fact, when i really think on it, even in our job announcements on USAJobs they specifically state that you need to have BASIC computer skills and be profecient with programs like WORD, and EXCEL. everything else submitted for a government job it tested and checked on....why not computer skills as well? i mean you basically have people lying on an application to get a job of a major function of that job.

....you dont sound like youve ever had a government position and dont know too much about how it all works.

- but thats just who i work for. i dont know about other departments, and thats why i never said all government positions require it.

Originally Posted by 6dollaBURGER

neukicks wrote:

indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

....okay, first off, "to have an occupation where the use of a computer is a must......" is saying that IF you have a postition that requires you to use a computer. i never said all government positions do. calm down.

.....HOWEVER, i work for a division of DHS and i can tell you every single position within us requires the use of a computer. from clocking in and out to annual training. you cannot have a position with who i work for and not have to use a computer every single day for one reason or another.
...and yes (at least with who i work for), even in client facing, even with completing signature transactions and the like, you still need to know the BASICS due to the databases we use. matter of fact, when i really think on it, even in our job announcements on USAJobs they specifically state that you need to have BASIC computer skills and be profecient with programs like WORD, and EXCEL. everything else submitted for a government job it tested and checked on....why not computer skills as well? i mean you basically have people lying on an application to get a job of a major function of that job.

....you dont sound like youve ever had a government position and dont know too much about how it all works.

- but thats just who i work for. i dont know about other departments, and thats why i never said all government positions require it.

laugh.gif
my mom was just telling me this..my mom works as a system analyst for the state of california and she stay complainin about how her co-workers don't know anything. Mind you my mom is a fob that just worked her way up with no college degree while these people at her work with college degrees can't figure out a simple syntax error when running a program.

laugh.gif
my mom was just telling me this..my mom works as a system analyst for the state of california and she stay complainin about how her co-workers don't know anything. Mind you my mom is a fob that just worked her way up with no college degree while these people at her work with college degrees can't figure out a simple syntax error when running a program.

.....i mean, c'mon man. computers aside. anything you deal with on a day to day basis ESPECIALLY if its paying the bills you pick up on without even really trying, it doesnt matter if its a computer or not.

- 5+ years bruh.......OVER FIVE YEARS of working with nothing but high res photos, where the difference between a jpg and a tiff really does mean something. the extension for a few photos is missing and you're completely lost.....and you have no idea what to do......AT ALL?  
roll.gif

...nah, thats not stupidity. its not JUST stupidity. its stupidity, ignorance, and laziness.

...stop it. 
eyes.gif
 @ the defense of this.

.....i mean, c'mon man. computers aside. anything you deal with on a day to day basis ESPECIALLY if its paying the bills you pick up on without even really trying, it doesnt matter if its a computer or not.

- 5+ years bruh.......OVER FIVE YEARS of working with nothing but high res photos, where the difference between a jpg and a tiff really does mean something. the extension for a few photos is missing and you're completely lost.....and you have no idea what to do......AT ALL?  
roll.gif

...nah, thats not stupidity. its not JUST stupidity. its stupidity, ignorance, and laziness.

...stop it. 
eyes.gif
 @ the defense of this.

....damn i forgot, i just thought about another one:

.....so one time we had this MAJOR issue where we needed to get certain items to the public. all of the public could apply but the elderley and handicapped were supposed to go straight to the top. we had an spreadsheet that was to be filled out daily with names to be sent up for delivery. we kept a paper copy and we also uploaded those names to an excel spreadsheet just in case we needed them.

.....this chick i worked with was given this task. it was also expected of her to upload these names to the spreadsheet. sure enough, 3 months later for some reason or another we needed the digital copy and she didnt have it. after a full day of her 'looking for it' we finally got ahold of her computer only to find out she only had 3 spreadsheet files saved.......2 of those we the same document just under a different name.

....why? what happened you ask? she didnt know how to use the 'save as' feature. she thought a little Telepathy and clicking save was going to just magically save each document uner a new name.

- so, we had 90+ days of spreadsheets reduced to 2. all because she didnt know that small little function.

....oh and before you ask. her position was dealing face to face with applicants every day.

Back
Top Bottom