GEORGETOWN BASKETBALL THREAD

Basically the whole Montrose team was there on Saturday including a 7'1 kid, T. Jordan Omogbehin...who is a SOPHOMORE.
were they rocking green and sitting behind the gtown bench?

Why not a DaJuan, Henry and Greg frontline? Seriously at this point, why not?
We think alike. Seeing how well Monroe and Sims play together just made it all click, lets Summers go to a more comfortable 3 spot. I guess JT3thinks that it hurts his bench and leaves him with only Vaughn as a big man coming off the bench. At least thats what i think he must be saying to himself.

i dont even know what to say about the game. I'm just lost. To go this bad so quickly is unbelieveable. I will say this, if we make it to the tourney Istill think we can do some decent damage and by that I mean win a game or two. Sure everyone in the Big east knows our style of play but the teams we play inthe tourney will get frustrated by it.

I took a shot at JT3 as he was walking out after the game. Yelled at him and told him to play sims and not to forget that he has a bench. Ronnie Thompson wasalso in the players tunnel during the OT, as he looked back at the crowd I yelled at him and told him to tell his brother to play sims. he looked at me thenlooked away. i hope he got the message.

Changes need to be. Sapp as a sixth man, sims as a starter would be my first change.

edit- one last thing, JT3 seriously needs to take some play calling classes. or at least get a asst. coach that can draw plays up. OR go on amazon and buy abook on calling plays for last minute and out of bounds scenarios. that last play of the game was pathetic.
sick.gif
sick.gif

I'm pretty sure the last play was to get it to Greg and Chris just didn't get that done.

III has gotten burned on that and plays outa time outs, it is strange. We all know his track record in close games so it is puzzling.

With Sims....he gives a spark and plays well with Greg. I expect to see a lot of him vs Cuse as last time.

I would like to see

Wright
Sapp
Summers
Sims
Monroe

Georgetown's monthlong slide toward oblivion stands asone of the ultimate enigmas of the college basketball season.

On Jan. 14, the Hoyas crushed then No. 8 Syracuse 88-74 by posting the largest single-game scoring outburst of the John Thompson III era to move to 12-3(3-2 Big East) and improve a postseason resume thatalready included a blowout victory at then No. 2 Connecticut and three other wins over ranked teams.

The Hoyas had the nastiest stretch of their Big East schedule behind them, the hottest freshman in the land anchoring their frontcourt (Greg Monroe) and ayoung roster that seemed several leaps ahead of the expected maturation pace.

What a difference a month makes.

The Hoyas (13-9, 4-7) have won only once in seven games since. The squad that staggers into Carrier Dome for Saturday's return date with the Orange(18-6, 6-5) will do so mired in the worst spiral of any Georgetown team in Thompson's tenure.

"At the beginning of the season, I think everybody thought they were a little thin and a little young, but they looked awfully good in Orlando [in theOld Spice Classic] and then up at Connecticut," ESPN analyst Jay Bilas said. "They were a young team you expected to only get better and better.Instead, they hit the skids. ... There's no way to explain it. How do you explain a hitting slump for a guy who's been around baseball all his life?It's mostly mental. It's a total loss of confidence. We've seen it with Texas. We've seen it with Notre Dame perhaps on a more profound levelthan anyone. And we're seeing it with Georgetown."

During its slump, Georgetown has been guilty of any number of shortcomings. At different times during the six losses and an unimpressive 57-47 home win overRutgers, the Hoyas have lacked focus, 3-point accuracy, intensity under the boards, discipline, commitment to the system, chemistry, resolve, toughness,ability to finish at the rim and ability to finish games.

But the one constant throughout, aside from a lack of confidence, has been the absence of on-floor leadership.

When the Hoyas collapsed emotionally at Duke after a phantom technical foul call on Monroe, blame fell on lead official John Cahill. It should have fallenon Georgetown upperclassmen DaJuan Summers and Jessie Sapp. Instead of lifting their teammates beyond the adversity, the formerspent the remainder of the game missing crucial free throws, while the latter sat on the bench after a spat with sophomore point guard Chris Wright.

When Georgetown lost at Seton Hall a week later, ending the game by attempting four consecutive 3-pointers (including chucks by Summers and Sapp) in directdefiance of Thompson's mandate to pound the ball inside to Monroe, where was the leadership?

When the Hoyas dropped their most recent game in overtime to Cincinnati, where were Sapp and Summers? Sapp sat the entire second half because of whatThompson dubbed a "coach's decision" after the senior guard apparently lost his cool concerningThompson's wholesale, disciplinary first-half substitutions. Summers? He spent the afternoon fumbling rebounds out of bounds and bobblingpasses, the most memorable of which came with just over a minute left in regulation on a backdoor cut that could have cemented the Georgetown victory.

"I think the upperclassmen have been disappointing; I don't know where DaJuan Summers' head is," said basketball guru *#%%"Hoops" Weiss of the New York Daily News. "I think they miss Jonathan Wallace a lot more than anybody ever thought they would."

Without any consistency and focus from Sapp and Summers, the leadership role has fallen to Monroe and Wright, a pair who are attempting to learn to handlethose reins during their first run through a Big East regular season.

With seven regular-season games and a trip to the Big East tournament left on the docket for a Georgetown team that still ranks 38th in the nation in thelatest RPI, the curtain hasn't yet come down on Georgetown's NCAA tournament hopes.
Talent isn't the issue. After all, this is the team thatpounded Connecticut in its own building to open the Big East season. But Georgetown's postseason future depends upon all the Hoyas - and particularly thetwo upperclassmen - playing the final month of the season for their teammates, not themselves.

8 p.m., The HOYA is hosting an online forum todiscuss Georgetown basketball.

Panelists include (subject to change):

Quote:[table][tr][td][font=Arial,Helvetica]
Bailey Heaps, HOYA men's basketball beat reporter

Barker Davis, Washington Times Georgetown beat reporter/alum

Liz Clarke, Washington Post Georgetown beat reporter

Al Bozzo ('85), President of Hoya Hoop Club

John Reagan ('84), HoyaSaxa.com

John Hawkes ('04), Young Alum

Nick Sementelli, Vice President Hoya Blue
[/font][/td] [/tr][/table]

blogs.thehoya.com

season can be salvaged tomorrow. Cuse is in almost a big of a mess as we are.

A win erases a lot and puts us back on the right side of the bubble.

And I wouldn't be surprised to see a lineup change.

"I don't think there's a lack of togetherness," he said yesterday. "It's just that in the course of losing, you start to  its human nature  you start to question and doubt and curious and wonder about yourself. I think just getting back to remembering [that] we're pretty good. And we can be pretty good, and we will be pretty good. This group, and I said this in the middle of this stretch, I still have a lot of confidence in these [guys]…and now we have to get that confidence back."
"Have we gone through and watched bits and pieces of [Georgetown's 88-74 win over Syracuse on Jan. 14] game for Saturday's game? Yes," Thompson said. "Has there been a big speech  'Hey, fellas, do what you did then'? No. This was just about us. This week, we got a chance to just step back and then hopefully improve."
Sophomore guard Chris Wright added, "This has been the first week in a long time that we haven't had a game. It was good for us to be in practice, and really practice, and really kind of in a sense be in the lab and just work on what we want to do, and get back to the basics and the fundamentals and what we're accustomed to doing."
"The notion of trying to get the group to understand the individual's sacrifices that are necessary for the group to succeed  that's difficult within every team," Thompson said. "I shouldn't say difficult. It's a process that most of the time is like an evolution in any team concept. It's not in human nature to come in and say, 'I'm not going to care about me, I'm just going to care about ya'll.' But by getting people to understand that by caring about 'ya'll,' I may then get more or may succeed or may have more success."
"I'm not ready to say that [Sapp and Summers need to step up]," Thompson said. "When things aren't going well and as a coach, as a reporter, as a fan you start to question everything - and you can start to drive yourself crazy. It's a group. We have 12 players, 13 players, four coaches, a couple of managers, a trainer and all of us are in this. All of us have to figure this thing out together. It's not just about any one or two people."

For his part, Sapp said that while he is "not the most happy person in the world," he has taken in stride last week's benching  which he said took place because "Coach felt the team needed whatever unit he had out there, out there."

"I'm going to work hard whether I'm playing in the game or I'm not," Sapp said. "I'm going to work hard at practice to try and better myself and my teammates as well. I'm not going to give my teammates the short end of the stick because I didn't play last weekend. Nah, we've worked too hard as a unit for me to even think about me. That's just plain selfish."

"It's not always fun because you have to do things you don't want to, and it's always a constant battle of what's best for the team instead of what's best for yourself or best for you or some other guy," he said. "It's a battle, and you have to fight it. Winning is hard, and you have to make some sacrifices and we're starting to learn that."
"If we look at the big picture, which I don't do, we're still not in a bad position," he said. "We're not in the position we want to be in by any stretch of the imagination. If you look at strength of schedule and RPI coupled with the amount of games we have left, we're not in a bad position relative to the world. Relative to where we want to be, we're obviously not where we want to be. At the same time I do believe in this group."

and from the Times

The personification of calm amid the chaos, Georgetowncoach John Thompson III reaffirmed his faith in his reeling squad Thursday afternoon outside McDonough Gymnasium.

"I still believe in this group," said Thompson, whose Hoyas (13-9, 4-7 Big East) will look to emerge from their monthlong slide Saturday at No. 23 Syracuse (18-7, 6-6). "This [off] week was good because we gotsome time off to focus on us. ... In the course of losing, it's human nature - you start to doubt and wonder about yourself. And [this week was about] justgetting back to remembering that we're pretty good. We can be pretty good. And we will be pretty good.

"I still have a lot of confidence in these kids, and they've been working their behinds off."

The Hoyas have lost six of seven games dating to an 88-74 victory over the Orange on Jan. 14. Syracuse has been stuck in a similar rut since that meeting,losing six of eight.

"[Syracuse] hasn't really played recently either," Georgetown sophomore guard Chris Wright said. "So, it's going to be two hungryteams looking for a win in a rivalry game."

The rivalry that helped build the Big East has been somewhat lopsided of late at Carrier Dome, where the Orange have won four straight in the series since2002. But the Hoyas universally agreed that the team's first extended respite since the start of conference play yielded some of the best practices of theseason. It also allowed the weary roster the opportunity to recharge for a stretch run that will determine its postseason fate.

"This has been a really good week for us," freshman center Greg Monroe said. "The practices have been good, and it's given us a chance toget our legs under us a little bit too. I think everybody's ready for Saturday."

In a season on the verge of being sidetracked by various subplots and distractions, the 6-foot-11 big man from New Orleans put an end to one divisive rumorcirculating by casually confirming he will return to the Hilltop for his sophomore season.

"Yeah, I am coming back [next year]," Monroe said in response to a flippant question from one reporter concerning his intentions."Seriously."

Wright and senior guard Jessie Sapp spent a considerable portion of Thursday's time with the media quashing another misconception: that there is apersonality conflict and chemistry issue concerning the team's two lead guards.

"There's no problems between me and my teammates or me and coach. There's none of that at all," said Sapp, whom Thompson benched for thesecond half of last week's loss to Cincinnati. "Coach talked with me before the second half and told me what he was going to do. ... This wholestretch has been frustrating for all of us. But that's life. You've got to deal with it like a man. I'm not going to give my teammates the shortend of the stick just because I didn't play last week. No, we've worked too hard for that, and that would just be plain selfish. That's notme."

John Thompson III: "I still have a lot of confidence in these kids."

Said Wright: "I think our chemistry is fine. We just lost."

In a rare big-picture moment, Thompson considered the Hoyas' remaining schedule (seven games and the Big East Tournament) and addressed the team'spostseason hopes.

"We're not in the position that we want to be in by any stretch of the imagination," Thompson said. "But when you start looking atstrength of schedule [No. 1] and RPI [No. 35] and everything that goes into [evaluating a team] coupled with the amount of games that we have left, we'renot in a bad position relative to the rest of the world.

"I've had a team or a couple of teams, at least one, where you look at it and you say, 'We can't do it.' Whatever the factors are,'We can't do it.' And then maybe you come out here and say, 'Hey, fellas, woe is me.' I've felt that about teams - that we couldn'tget done what needed to get done. I do not feel that with this group at all. There's a lot of ball to be played, and I have confidence in thisgroup."

^ seriously man. we had it to nine. then he goes for a quick three. why is it so hard for them to understand. taking too many threes has killed us so manytimes this year.

EDIT: i knew it too. we started the game with two quick threes. and i was like, this is gonna make us think we're hot from three point land today. smh

Along with UNC and Duke games this would Be III's defining moment so far at G'Town.

LETS %!!@*! GO!

how the hell did this happen?

and why didn't Summers pass the ball? Smh this game could of been over right now

Back
Top Bottom