GEORGETOWN BASKETBALL THREAD

espn would show the game as postponed, right? as of now it's still on...or is it a classes cancelled = game cancelled type of thing?

Yeah, still on from everything I'm seeing...nobody has confirmed that, it's just nobody has said it's canceled.

Originally Posted by EB4President

Allen

I been in China for the last month, last I saw, the hoyas got pounded in the 2nd half by Pitt...i come back to the states and they have like 6 losses. What happened? Who's been slacking?
basically what Downy said..

if I had to signal out individuals....Chris Wright and for the past 2 games DaJuan....could throw in Austin as well.

It seems Greg and Sapp are the only two wanting to run the offense at this point. Sapp is leading by example by busting his !*! despite his shootingstruggles...hopefully others start to follow.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Originally Posted by EB4President

Allen

I been in China for the last month, last I saw, the hoyas got pounded in the 2nd half by Pitt...i come back to the states and they have like 6 losses. What happened? Who's been slacking?
basically what Downy said..

if I had to signal out individuals....Chris Wright and for the past 2 games DaJuan....could throw in Austin as well.

It seems Greg and Sapp are the only two wanting to run the offense at this point. Sapp is leading by example by busting his !*! despite his shooting struggles...hopefully others start to follow.

whats up with chris? bad decision making and shot selection?

and how has monroe not been gettin the ball? is this a coaches problem goin on or players just not playing right?

The game is on tonight.. I jus got an e-mail sayin all you have to do is to show student ID and you can bring a guest free of charge lol

Guys aren't running things as they should be. Poor shot selection.

Since he was a kid growing up in suburban Washington, D.C., Harvey Thomas had the dream. He wanted to be the next Jordan, the next Magic, the next Bird.
He was going to play in the National Basketball Association. He was going to be the next ... somebody.

Harvey Thomas is 26 years old and he's still chasing the dream, one that, in all likelihood, might be over.

The latest stop for the 6-foot-8 Thomas is the Continental Basketball Association's Albany Patroons and he'll be in uniform tonight when thePatroons play East Kentucky at 7.

During his minor-league odyssey, he has played in Las Vegas and Arkansas and Georgia and Yakima, Wash. He has also had overseas stints in Poland and Mexicoand Portugal. But there has been hardly a sniff from the NBA.

Maybe it's because of the Baylor thing.

In the summer of 2003, one of the ugliest incidents in the recent history of NCAA basketball occurred in Waco, Texas, when Baylor junior forward PatrickDennehy went missing and eventually was found dead from gunshot wounds.

For a time, Harvey Thomas was being mentioned as a person of interest in the case. He was eventually exonerated from any wrong doing when another formerBaylor player, Carlton Dotson, admitted to the crime. Dotson received a 35-year sentence.

Thomas is doing his own time. Five and a half years after the incident, he's still haunted by it. Thomas, who attended five high schools, was going tomake Baylor his fourth college (preceeded by Georgetown and two community colleges).

He had visited the Texas campus twice and both times was chaperoned by Dennehy. He had been on campus for a week for summer school classes when Dennehy wentmissing.

In a way, it seems like the summer of '03 was a long time ago. In other ways, he's reminded about it every day.

"If I go to the Internet to Google my stats, the first five stories up are about Baylor basketball, Baylor this," Thomas said Tuesday afternoonafter the Patroons practiced at Washington Avenue Armory.

Thomas declared himself eligible for the 2004 NBA draft after averaging 17 points for Baylor's depleted roster. No one took a chance on him. Since then,he has been to camps with both the Orlando Magic and the Washington Wizards.

Does he not get a chance because of Baylor or is he just not good enough?

"I definitely do," Thomas said when asked if he thinks he is being blackballed. "It might not be fair to say it, but I believe so. Idefinitely think it threw a red flag. It was over five years ago and the situation comes up to this day."

Thomas said it came up when he and his agent, Matt Rizzetta, were negotiating a deal to play in Lebanon.

"I would say it's 15-20 percent that has something to do with the stigma that followed him after the Baylor situation," Rizzetta said."But he may have left school too soon. He was caught up in a difficult situation at a young age."
Thomas may be destined to be a careerminor-leaguer, yet he smiled all through a 35-minute conversation Tuesday. Rizzetta said there have been six-figure offers to play overseas but they havedecided to test the NBA waters one more time.
They both think having Thomas play for the Patroons, which once served as a pipeline to the NBA, is the right way to go. After six games, he is leading theCBA in scoring with a 22.8 scoring average.

Maybe the NBA types will catch his act. Maybe they won't.

"I have no complaints about the situation I am in right now," Thomas said. "I think it's time for all the Baylor stuff to stop. I believeI am an NBA player but I'll never know unless I get the chance to prove it."

Did not realize Harvey was playin right down the street..I'll have to see him play. Had such high hopes for him.

anyway let's get this thing back in the right direction
pimp.gif

I really don't know where we go from here.

There can't be any excuses...things have to get righted...

Everyone is to blame.

From III to Jansen.

"We're at the point now where obviously our backs are against the wall," Georgetown coach John Thompson III said. "We have to evaluate and re-evaluate everything. We have to doeverything significantly better than we are now."

"This is not the time to start making grandiose evaluations about expectations," Thompson said. "We have to figure out how to win the nextgame. We have to figure out how to continue to get better. And that's what we're going to do. That is what we have to do.

"As far as an evaluation of the team, the season, the year, it's still too early to do that. Obviously we're not at a place where we want tobe. We collectively have to figure out a way to get ourselves out of this place."
"We've got to keep fighting," Wright said. "We're going to keep fighting and keep playing hard. That's the only thing we can do. Wecan't get mad or feel bad about ourselves now because we've still got a lot of games left in the Big East. It's just a matter of finding a way towin."

"The solution is in that locker room," Thompson said. "We have 13 players and several coaches, and collectively we've got to figure thisthing out."

"We'll figure this out," Thompson said. "That's what we do. We're in a bad place, but like I told the guys, we will figure thisout."

DaJuan is day to day...reports are he'll miss tomorrow's game. Hopefully Henry starts.

A loss is expected....but even with one...I think this teams finds their way. The record at the end won't be pretty...but there is too much talent and toogood of a staff to not figure some things out.

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, Helvetica]Georgetown Basketball: Pre-Game Report [/font]
[table][tr][td] [table][tr][td]Marquette (18-2)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Coach: Buzz Williams
(Okla. City '94)
1st season, 18-2
Career: 32-19
AP: #8
RPI: 13
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Expected Starters:[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Name[/td] [td]Ht.[/td] [td]Pts.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Dominic James[/td] [td]5-11[/td] [td]11.6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Jerel McNeal[/td] [td]6-3[/td] [td]19.4[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Wes Matthews[/td] [td]6-5[/td] [td]19.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Lazar Haywood[/td] [td]6-6[/td] [td]19.3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Dwight Burke[/td] [td]6-8[/td] [td]2.9[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Team Stats:[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Points/Game:[/td] [td]80.9[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Points Allowed:[/td] [td]67.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FG Shooting:[/td] [td]46.7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FG Defense[/td] [td]42.4[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3FG Shooting:[/td] [td]36.1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FT Shooting:[/td] [td]71.6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rebounds/Game[/td] [td]36.6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Assists/Game[/td] [td]15.9[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Turnovers/Game[/td] [td]12.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Last 5 Games (5-0)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]01/07: MU 81, Rutg 76
01/10: MU 75, WVU 53
01/17: MU 91, PC 82
01/24: MU 79, DePaul 70
01/26: MU 71, ND 64
[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [td] [table][tr][td]Quick Facts[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Game 20: vs. Marquette University
January 31, 2:00 pm (EST), Bradley Center
Tickets Available? Sellout expected
TV: MASN, Big East Regional
GU Radio: WTEM-980
MU Radio: WAUK-540
About The Warriors:
Enrollment: 11,000
Conference: Big East
Record vs. Georgetown: 2-4
Series to Date:
1971-72: at MU 88, GU 44
2005-06: at MU 57, GU 51
2005-06: GU 62, MU 59 (Big East, New York)
2006-07: at GU 76, MU 58
2007-08: GU 70, at MU 68
[/font]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Preview[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Georgetown opened January with the swagger of a Top 10 program. it ends it facing its worst conference showing in five years and the spectre of a sub-500 season without a return to the basics that got them here...well, at least the basics of four weeks ago.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]To make matters worse, Georgetown must seek to end a four game losing streak against the Big East's hottest team, winners of 10 straight and a club that hasn't lost a home game since Jonathan Wallace set the Warriors down in overtime last March. There's a light at the end of the tunnel for Georgetown, but it may not be seen on Saturday.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Marquette enters the game on a 10 game win streak and arguably its strongest startling lineup since its 2003 Final Four team. Strangely, it's a four man rotation, accounting for most of the Warriors' points this season. Against Notre Dame, for example, Marquette's starting four accounted for all 71 points in the game. Yes, Dwight Burke will start at center, but it's the remaining four which pose clear and present dangers to a Georgetown team which has to stand tall, lest they be run over early in this one.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Three years ago, Dominic James was touted as the next Dwayne Wade and had the season to show for it. By 2009, however, James has not enjoyed the white hot success of years past, but his 11.6 ppg average still means business for Marquette. James stills stands tall in most areas of the game--shooting, assists, steals-- but his three point shooting remains a struggle, 26.3% in Big East play and 3-18 in four games against the Hoyas from beyond the arc. James is just 5-22 in his last five games from three point range, but has proven he can drive inside, scoring 15 against Notre Dame and 17 against West Virginia. On almost any other team, James would be the go-to guy, expect in this case the Warriors have three other options.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Jerel McNeal is certainly one of them. McNeal has taken over the offense for MU, scoring 20 or more in six of his last seven. McNeal scored 27 points without a turnover against ND, emblematic of a season which his drives and spot jumpers have laid waste to opponents' zone defenses. McNeal was 5-21 from the field against the Hoyas last season and will be expected to improve upon that number Saturday.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]If Georgetown's guards can hold its own against James and McNeal, which they could, there would be justifiable optimism. The problem is, GU has been remarkably porous against forwards this season adn MU and two of the league's best. Austin freeman's tepid defense will be up against the steady play of Wes Matthews, averaging 51 percent from the field and and 83 percent free throw shooter. Matthews is one of those players that will do what it takes to get things done, and his matchup against Freeman is telling if Marquette will pull away early or if Georgetown can stay in this one.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Across from Matthews, Lazar Haywood's 16 points and 8 rebounds a game goes up against...well, someone. Georgetown's media guide still lists Dajuan Summers as the starter, which seems unlikely given his foot problems. Whoever georgetown puts in the four slot will have a tough time with Hayward's size and agility, and must avoid the cheap foul, where he is an 82 percent free throw shooter himself. Georgetown really needs Summers at 100% in this one, and in the unlikely event he plays, his efforts are understandably limited.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Some keys to the game:
1. Don't Fall Far Behind: The word on the street is that this Georgetown team can't come back in games. A third straight road game, the possibility of a fifth straight loss, and a raucous Bradley Center crowd are there good reasons to play this game as close as possible, particularly in a slower tempo and resisting any temptation at the outside shot.
[/font]
[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]2. Greg Monroe: Monroe owns the only significant advantage in head to head matchups. If there was a way to get Monroe the ball 30 times in this game, aim for 31.[/font] [font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]3. Leadership: The Hoyas have seen a visible lack of leadership on the floor. Someone needs to take the mantle now, if not for this game, for the nine which remain.[/font]
[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]It's hard to remember a game in the last five years where Georgetown is such a decided underdog--a combination of bad luck, bad shooting, and a reliance on bad decisions in games. The season won't turn on this game, but the Hoyas do need some sort of gut check while there is time to make a difference. February is no time for on the job training.[/font]
[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [td] [table][tr][td]Georgetown (12-7)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Coach: John Thompson III
(Princeton '88)
5th season, 112-43
Career: 183-85
AP: #25
RPI: 18
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Expected Starters[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Name[/td] [td]Ht.[/td] [td]Pts.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Chris Wright[/td] [td]6-1[/td] [td]12.2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Jessie Sapp[/td] [td]6-2[/td] [td]6.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Austin Freeman[/td] [td]6-4[/td] [td]12.7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]TBD[/td] [td]--[/td] [td]--[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Greg Monroe[/td] [td]6-11[/td] [td]13.1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Team Stats:[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Points/Game:[/td] [td]71.9[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Points Allowed[/td] [td]62.7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FG Shooting:[/td] [td]46.9[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FG Defense:[/td] [td]39.2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3FG Shooting:[/td] [td]32.3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FT Shooting:[/td] [td]73.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rebounds/Game[/td] [td]33.6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Assists/Game[/td] [td]13.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Turnovers/Game[/td] [td]13.8[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Last 5 Games (1-4)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]01/14: GU 88, Syr 74
01/17: Duke 76, GU 67
01/20: WV 75, GU 58
01/25: S. Hall 65, GU 60
01/28: Cinc 65, GU 57

[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table]

LET'S GOOOOOOOOOO
pimp.gif

We will win tonight.

We will make the tournament.

The team overall is pretty much what last years was offensively...

defensively is where we have to get better.

02/03: RUTGERS
02/07: CINCINNATI
02/14: at Syracuse
02/18: at S. Florida
02/21: MARQUETTE
02/23: LOUISVILLE
02/28: at Villanova
03/03: at St. John's
03/07: DEPAUL

6-3.

LET'S GO.

02/03: RUTGERS
02/07: CINCINNATI
02/14: at Syracuse
02/18: at S. Florida
02/21: MARQUETTE
02/23: LOUISVILLE
02/28: at Villanova
03/03: at St. John's
03/07: DEPAUL

6-3. 5-3.

LET'S GO.

Rutgers game, a win was just a relief and it felt good to see we could build a 20 point lead.

Much more active defensively but again, it was Rutgers.

I think I've somewhat narrowed down what I believe the problems are: DaJuan and Freeman.

Those 2, if not scoring are not impacting the game on top of that they (mostly DaJuan) can take some bad shots. Chris to a lesser extent but he'll at leastmake some plays. I must say Chris Wright's on ball D is absolutely horrendous.
ohwell.gif
. doesn't make sense for someone as quick as him.

That little nucleus plays well, we'll win. I don't have concerns about Sapp or Monroe, they play hard and run the offense.

Nikita has been the most pleasant surprise the past 3 games. He gets after it, big time. That's what the team needs. He has a little ability, too.

I think we've seen why Henry Sims time is erratic. It's match ups, when we play a team with a natural 4 (cuse, rutgers) he'll play. But hecan't match up with guys like Lazar Hayward.

He needs to see the floor more tho, instant energy and he is our 2nd best rebounder and statistically our best shot blocker.

There is NO reason why Nikita and Sims shouldn't take Vaughn and Omar's minutes

those 2 plus clark, there is the bench.

I would like to see a lineup of; Wright, Sapp, Summers, Sims, Monroe. 2 ball handlers and big time size up front. That most resembles our final 4 lineup. Thissmall ball stuff was possible with Roy, i don't know about now.

"Losing is awful, it's awful. We took a baby step today; we got a win. There's a lot we still have to improve on, a lot we still have to get better at. I really like what I saw in the first half because we shot poorly... and in the past when we've missed shots we've not been as attentive to every other aspect of the game. And when we've missed shots we've gotten an angst and lost focus and understanding that we grind on victories. Its one possession on offense then its possession on defense; it's a possession on offense and it's a possession on defense. That sounds simple but gaining that understanding that relationship of I've missed a shot, or we've just missed a shot can't effect what goes on down there. Forget that play and move on and I think in the fist half, when we did not shoot well we've stayed attentive to every other part of the game."
Energy on defense...
"I feel like we played really well tonight. I think the guys did a very good job of helping each other. Greg did a very good job of hedging out hard trying to back up their dribblers. They are so effective coming off ball screens and making the right decisions, I think we did a very good job of backing them up and then everyone doing their part in terms of helping each other. It's a group effort and the people behind the (ball defenders) showed attentiveness and anticipated what was going to happen. A few times this year we have been reacting as the play is going on as opposed to anticipating what was going to happen and I thought we did a good job of anticipating at the defensive end, particularly in the first half."

some bad news, Markel Starks went down with an injury, appears that it's not too serious but nevertheless he's been out.

I think I've somewhat narrowed down what I believe the problems are: DaJuan and Freeman.
my eyes were not lying.
laugh.gif

Summers and Freeman have negative for the season. That's right -- not just the last six games, not just Big East play, but including all the cupcakes.

While they are on the court, the team is about -45 during BE games, and when they are off, the team is +22 or so. Over 40 minutes, they are both around -15. That's just awful -- even for a team that is 4-6.

In Georgetown's 13 wins,
- Jessie Sapp is 16/33 [48%] on 2FGs and 24/32 on FTs
- Chris Wright and Austin Freeman are a combined 30/71 [42%] on 3FGs (14/33 and 16/38, respectively)

In Georgetown's 8 losses,
- Jessie Sapp is 3/18 [17%] on 2FGs and 3/5 on FTs
- Chris Wright and Austin Freeman are a combined 9/51 [18%] on 3FGs (4/25 and 5/26)

Originally Posted by allen3xis

my eyes were not lying.
laugh.gif

Summers and Freeman have negative for the season. That's right -- not just the last six games, not just Big East play, but including all the cupcakes.

While they are on the court, the team is about -45 during BE games, and when they are off, the team is +22 or so. Over 40 minutes, they are both around -15. That's just awful -- even for a team that is 4-6.

In Georgetown's 13 wins,
- Jessie Sapp is 16/33 [48%] on 2FGs and 24/32 on FTs
- Chris Wright and Austin Freeman are a combined 30/71 [42%] on 3FGs (14/33 and 16/38, respectively)

In Georgetown's 8 losses,
- Jessie Sapp is 3/18 [17%] on 2FGs and 3/5 on FTs
- Chris Wright and Austin Freeman are a combined 9/51 [18%] on 3FGs (4/25 and 5/26)

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

The progression of freshman center Henry Sims could be the key tosmashing the glass ceiling looming over Georgetown'sseason.

As the Hoyas (13-8, 4-6 Big East) prepare for astretch run that begins Saturday against Cincinnati (15-8, 5-5), Sims' first season on the Hilltop stands as a classic case study in freshmaninconsistency.

"He's going through that process, just going through the roller coaster ride in terms of production," coach John Thompson III said."You've seen glimpses, and he just has to settle into his rhythm, which he hasn't yet."

After beginning the season with a series of brief appearances defined by errant long-range jumpers, the 6-foot-10, 225-pounder spent the first half of theBig East season showing signs of why he was considered a national top-50 recruit as a senior at Baltimore's Mount St. Joseph High School.

The Hoyas are 8-1 when freshman Henry Sims (30) plays more than 10 minutes and 5-7 when he doesn't.

His thunderous follow-up dunk at Notre Dame showcased the athleticism that belies his gawky carriage. He was on the floor the bulk of Georgetown'sgame-clinching 21-2 run against Providence, a spurt that occurred with upperclassmen Jessie Sapp and DaJuan Summers on the bench. And he put together the mostimpressive performance of his young career four days later in Georgetown's 88-74 victory against then No. 8 Syracuse, giving the Hoyas three points, threerebounds, two assists, a steal and a block in just 11 minutes.

But something happened during the five-game losing streak that immediately followed the Syracuse win: Sims disappeared. After logging double-digit minutesin each of the three games preceding the Hoyas' five-game crash, Sims averaged just 3.2 minutes during Georgetown's skid.

"It hurts losing, whether you're playing or not," Sims said. "Not playing hurt a lot more, because you're sitting over there thinkingyou could do something to help the team. But I'm a team guy, and that's Coach's decision."

Sims once again logged double-digit minutes in Georgetown's slump-snapping victory against Rutgers on Tuesday night (contributing six points and threerebounds), so it would be easy to pinpoint his minutes as the primary statistical difference between Georgetown's slump and the victories that bookendedit. After all, the Hoyas are 8-1 in games when Sims plays more than 10 minutes and 5-7 when he doesn't.

But it's not that simple. Thompson didn't enter the five losses with a plan to sit Sims. Rather, Sims' play dictated that the fifth-year coachvirtually had to sit him.

Georgetown's loss at Cincinnati 10 days ago provides a perfect example: Sims entered the game with 16:16 remaining in the second half, the score tied at35-35 and the Hoyas desperately searching for a spark with Summers out with a tweaked ankle. At the 14:58 mark, Sims converted an assist from fellow freshmanbig man Greg Monroe into a bucket to give Georgetown a 39-35 lead. Then he blew defensive rotations on three consecutive possessions, resulting in twouncontested 3-pointers and a layup. Suddenly, Cincinnati was up 40-39... and Sims was headed back to the bench.

"It's just the consistency that is needed every day, be it in practice or in games, that he has to train himself to maintain," Thompson said."There's no doubt that when he's in there, we're much longer and some things seem to bounce our way. Once he settles in and gets anunderstanding of what we're trying to do offensively and defensively, he's going to be a terrific player."

For a team attempting to claw its way into the NCAA tournament in spite of one obvious Achilles' heel - Georgetown ranks 13th in the Big East inrebounding margin at minus 0.5 - Sims' nose for the ball could be the deciding factor in Georgetown's postseason destination.

"Every time [Thompson] puts me in the game, he says, 'Think rebound,' " Sims said."That's one thing I know I can do."

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, Helvetica]Georgetown Basketball: Pre-Game Report [/font]
[table][tr][td] [table][tr][td]Cincinnati (15-
glasses.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Coach: Mick Cronin
(Cincinnati '97)
3rd season, 39-46
Career: 108-70
Not Ranked
RPI: 61
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Expected Starters:[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Name[/td] [td]Ht.[/td] [td]Pts.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Deonta Vaughn[/td] [td]6-1[/td] [td]16.1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Larry Davis[/td] [td]6-3[/td] [td]6.2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rashad Bishop[/td] [td]6-6[/td] [td]5.7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Mike Williams[/td] [td]6-7[/td] [td]9.6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Yancy Gates[/td] [td]6-9[/td] [td]10.2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Team Stats:[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Points/Game:[/td] [td]70.1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Points Allowed:[/td] [td]64.8[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FG Shooting:[/td] [td]42.1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FG Defense[/td] [td]40.9[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3FG Shooting:[/td] [td]33.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FT Shooting:[/td] [td]68.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rebounds/Game[/td] [td]39.2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Assists/Game[/td] [td]14.6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Turnovers/Game[/td] [td]14.2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Last 5 Games (3-2)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]01/19: PC 72, UC 63
01/22: UC 71, St. John's 60
01/28: UC 65m Gtown 57
02/01: V'nova 71, UC 50
02/04: UC 93, UC 83
[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [td] [table][tr][td]Quick Facts[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Game 22: vs. University of Cincinnati
February 7, 12:00 pm (EST), Verizon Center
Tickets Available? Yes
TV: MASN
GU Radio: WTEM-980
UC Radio: WLW-700
About the Bearcats:
Enrollment: 35,244
Conference: Big East
2007-08 Record: 13-19
Record vs. Georgetown: 1-4
Last Five Games:
2005-06: at GU 76, UC 57
2006-07: at GU 82, UC 67
2006-07: GU 75, at UC 65
2007-08: at GU 73, UC 53
2008-09: at UC 65, GU 57
[/font]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Preview[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]When Georgetown lost to Cincinnati two weeks ago, it was seen as a bad loss against a second-tier Big East team. In fact, at 5-5 in the Big East and 15-8 overall, winners of five of its last seven, Cincinnati is now making its case as a possible NCAA contender. UC handed Notre Dame a 93-83 loss Wednesday at Fifth Third Arena and hopes for a repeat performance Saturday against the Hoyas. The ND game could be illustrative as Georgetown looks for clues against a solid Bearcats team Saturday.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]In both games, UC leveraged more consistent scoring from players around Deonta Vaughn, leveraged better three point shooting, and took full advantage of the free throw line. UC got a big effort in the Notre Dame game from Larry Davis, held scoreless against GU, to go for 21 points on the Irish. The ND effort showed that UC can win the uptempo game, scoring 56 points in the second half. If UC is putting up 56 points in a half against Georgetown, that's a bad sign. Instead, the Hoyas must renew its defense and aim to hold the Bearcats to a game in the 50's and 60's, where Georgetown's offense is its most effective.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Georgetown will look first to slow down guard Deonta Vaughn, who has enjoyed a all-conference season to date. Vaughn scored 15 points against the Hoyas in January, and even in games where he is not shooting well, Vaughn can hurt teams at the free throw line. Against ND Vaughn was 5-13, but 19-22 from the line for 34 points. Vaughn is the team leader in most statistics, including turnovers (105) and will continue to be a focus on defense.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Larry Davis should get the start alongside Vaughn at guard, but Mick Cronin could go to backup Dion Dixon at any time during the game. Dixon scored 10 points and collected four rebounds off the bench against the Hoyas in the opener.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]The Bearcats are seeing steady growth in the frontcourt. 6-6 Rashad Bishop had a mixed game against GU but contributed six rebounds, while 6-7 Mike Williams scored 12 points and six rebounds in a big effort. 6-9 freshman Yancy Gates has begun to reestablish his presence in the middle, assisted by 6-9 Mike Toyloy: Gates played 28 minutes in the first GU game with nine points.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Cincinnati played fairly even with the Hoyas in January in most areas of the game but pulled ahead on the strength of the bench (27-11), three pointers (8-5), and free throws (13-
glasses.gif
, areas that have been heightened in UC's home wins, less so on the road. UC is 2-3 on the road in conference play, with wins over DePaul and St. John's, with a 21 point loss to Villanova in its last road game. Georgetown needs to play like a home team in this one, and not take Cincinnati lightly. Its ability to get quality time on the court for Dajuan Summers (less early fouls), to get more points from its backcourt, and to leverage its bench are all areas of emphasis Saturday.
[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Some keys to the game:
1. Foul Shooting: Cincinnati has been effective of late in getting to the line early and often. Georgetown must do its part to keep the Bearcats (especially Vaughn) off the line.
2. Zone Breakers: Can Georgetown do a better job adjusting to opponents' zone defenses?
3. Yancy Gates: Gates has picked up his play of late and poses problems inside for Monroe.
[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]For Cincinnati to win, the Bearcats get significant production out of Davis, Gates and Williams, limiting Summers and winning the game at the line. Georgetown needs a better effort up front and a smarter offense than it displayed two weeks ago, in a game that reads "must-win" as it has not done before in this series.[/font]
[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [td] [table][tr][td]Georgetown (13-
glasses.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Coach: John Thompson III
(Princeton '88)
5th season, 113-44
Career: 184-86
AP: Not Ranked
RPI: 23
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Expected Starters[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Name[/td] [td]Ht.[/td] [td]Pts.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Chris Wright[/td] [td]6-1[/td] [td]12.1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Jessie Sapp[/td] [td]6-2[/td] [td]6.7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Austin Freeman[/td] [td]6-4[/td] [td]12.4[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Dajuan Summers[/td] [td]6-8[/td] [td]14.6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Greg Monroe[/td] [td]6-11[/td] [td]13.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Team Stats:[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Points/Game:[/td] [td]71.7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Points Allowed[/td] [td]63.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FG Shooting:[/td] [td]47.2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FG Defense:[/td] [td]39.8[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3FG Shooting:[/td] [td]33.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FT Shooting:[/td] [td]72.1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rebounds/Game[/td] [td]33.3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Assists/Game[/td] [td]14.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Turnovers/Game[/td] [td]13.9[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Last 5 Games (1-4)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]01/20: WV 75, GU 58
01/25: S. Hall 65, GU 60
01/28: UC 65, GU 57
01/31: Marq 94, GU 82
02/03: GU 57, Rutg 47
[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table]

LET'S GO.
pimp.gif

Dissapointing.

I don't know where this current group goes from here.

I think they are tired at this point and I personally believe III is exhausted. From him turning this thing around, from his tireless recruiting, having 2assistants take head caoching jobs and Mrs. Thompson's battle with cancer I really think it's finally taken it's a toll.

Is it an excuse? No.

But partially an explanation, cause I really believe things would have been figured out by now. And I believe it really has perplexed him.

Couple that with an extremely young team and you have the past month.

It's incredible we haven't settled on a rotation and now 10 guys are seeing the court.

I think III has failed in some ways this year. How many back door cuts have we got? Teams have started to figure things out and we need to adjust better. Hehas turned negatives into positives, Chris Wright is basically a press killer by himself, and we do not struggle against zone D this year.

Things are just odd now. I expected a refreshing a year, and while we wouldn't have the past success it'd be a team you could really pull for, it'sbeen anything but.

However, I do not doubt the system, I absolutely don't. I am a huge fan of it. And I'd still give III a life time contract right now.

Jessie Sapp has broken my heart this year. I feel for that guy. He's been a gigantic part of this program. He played the game of his life the night of theUNC game, he always was there to make the big play throughout his career -- and now his career appears over. I don't think he starts saturday at Syracuse.I love the guy and he without a doubt will go down as a favorite all time Hoya for me. I need to make sure I buy the #21 jersey Nike has made available for theyear. I hope figures everything out and finishes on a high note. He deserves it, and I hope senior day is a special one for him.

Austin...what he needs right now is the off season, period. He has to get in better shape, that should have happened LAST off season. It's sad he was abetter prospect at Dematha than he is a player right now. If he does not get in shape and start being agressive and finishing, Hollis is taking his minutesnext year.

DaJuan...I know he wants the NBA life style and got a taste of it in Miami this summer, but please..come back. You need a handle and need to learn how to makean impact on the game other than scoring. He has too much ability to go out like this. He improved his game this past year and I feel he can do the same again.I hope for his sake he does.

Chris...I feel he wants to 'get it' and in time he will. He made better decisions on Saturday. He can get by his defender at will, it's just thenwhat...he'll put it together. He just needs more comfortability.

Greg...same deal with DaJuan, he can leave...but it's best he stays. Yes he can leave and be fine, but He can improve. I think he's hit a bit of a wallright now. To his defense being asked to carry a team as a freshmen is a lot.

Nikita is one guy who 'gets it'. He hustles and knows to get the ball to Greg. He is techinically a freshmen so I think we found a nice rotation playerfor his career.

Jason's gona be a player, hes just a freshmen and is a little jumpy out there.

Omar and Julian -- these two just have to play and work hard and there will be spots for them.

Love Henry and think he'll be NBA quality by the time he's done. He's just been brought along slowly. I'd still like to see more minutes forhim.

Why not a DaJuan, Henry and Greg frontline? Seriously at this point, why not?

This team CAN still make a run at the tournament, I know III isn't giving up, and as a fan will not either. The team is too talented. But things need to befigured out and a week of practice should do well.

Why are we not closing out as well this year with more talent?

Why do we have 306 assists and 306 turnovers? That is incredible.

There are a lot of questions and III is not void of criticism, along with the rest of the staff.

This team needs to play HARD. Cut hard, box out. And play smart.

They'll learn, but some of them have to grow up, and some of them should have done so already.

Where did the team that beat Memphis, thumped Maryland, beat Uconn go? I don't know. It's the same guys but the mental aspect is just not there. The04-05 team had the same type of flame out but that team did it at the end of the year, right now it's the beginning of February, and needless to say thatteam was not as talented. Maybe a reason is that 5 of these guys and 7 including Chris and Omar are in their first year of this system?

Thankfully I don't see a selfish team anymore, rather one that is just trying to find it's way and put pieces together.

With Jessie appeared to be relagated to the bench (which i dont agree with) this is now the team going forward and the foundation for the program.

For that, I hope it's figured out soon. Georgetown basketball will always have my support, hell it's who I wana be employed by in the future, but thiscurrent group needs to rebound to cheer for again.

It's too early to think about NIT and Kenner League. This aint 5 years ago.

It's funny tho, we get a full week of practice and then a win at the Dome on Valentine's day completely off sets this one..and they are in as big of amess as we are.

So let's go get it done.

Adversity builds Character.

As far as other things go..

idk if anyone's noticed but that little fat dude who's been behind the G'Town bench in Hoya gear all year long is head of a New Nike AAU Programouta DC...forget the name, but only good things can come of that relationship.

Basically the whole Montrose team was there on Saturday including a 7'1 kid, T. Jordan Omogbehin...who is a SOPHOMORE.

In good spots with Roscoe and Michael Gbinje.

Back
Top Bottom