FX's ATLANTA (Starring Donald Glover) S4 Final episode

IMG_2851.JPG

Benny?

Creepy but good/interesting take on episode

He did a thread on it

Mind blown if true

First he says Benny and Teddy are the same person, then he says Teddy is the abusive dad cuz he's old and in a wheelchair.

Other than that, nothing else is all that new from other speculation.

Last edited:
“Teddy Perkins” earned universal acclaim from critics (read IndieWire’s A review), and Glover’s whiteface left fans baffled and freaked out. It turns out the “Atlanta” creator’s appearance did the same for the actors on set of the Hiro Murai-directed episode. Vulture spoke with Derrick Haywood, the actor who played Teddy’s brother Benny Hope, and he said he didn’t even recognize Glover at first during filming.

“Initially, I had no idea that Teddy Perkins was actually played by Donald Glover,” Haywood said, noting that Glover stayed in character with his makeup and high-pitched voice throughout the entirety of filming. The director called ‘Teddy’ over [on set] and said, ‘Let’s see what Teddy thinks.’ I’m like, ‘Okay, who is this Teddy guy and why is his opinion so important?’”

Haywood’s mind was blown when it was revealed Teddy was actually Glover in whiteface. The actor said Glover was so in character during filming that no one on set felt like the real Glover was working on the episode.

“When I say this guy was in character the whole time, it was just amazing the commitment he brought,” Haywood said. “We were calling him Teddy, he acted as Teddy – there was no Donald on set whatsoever.”

:lol:

Man, I watched the latest episode on my lunch break.

What. The. ****. :lol:

Talk about a complete 180 from the Barber episode.

I definitely felt the "eccentric" Michael Jackson vibes from Teddy.

Darius belongs in the fool wildin thread for staying in the house that long.

The minute Teddy popped out the shadows when Darius first walked in I would've been like

mrw-i-turn-up-to-class-late-and-the-teacher-isnt-even-there-10272.gif

Was eating too right in the middle of that ostrich egg scene. :sick:

Didn't eem realize that was Donald playing Teddy until I came in here.

As soon as old dude started sharing pics talking about his brother I immediately assumed it was a play on MJ.

I was hoping for a Darius episode but this wasn't it... I need some of the "in tune with the universe and unknown frequencies" Darius, not this ********.

As soon as old dude started sharing pics talking about his brother I immediately assumed it was a play on MJ.

I was hoping for a Darius episode but this wasn't it... I need some of the "in tune with the universe and unknown frequencies" Darius, not this bull****.

***** must not have burned his incense that morning he should have felt the “vibes were off” once that door opened on its own

No hyperbole. That might have been one of the greatest episodes to a TV series ever.

I'm going to be perpetually heated if this show ever gets cancelled.

As I was watching this, I honestly thought about how extraordinary the writing and the shooting (cuts, scenes, and angles) were in this episode. Even the score and the music used in the episode was top notch.

The writing was just phenomenal. As some have mentioned, the struggle between the appreciation of the "golden era" of "Black music" to the current state was the main plot. That was evident to me immediately when Teddy asked Darius about him playing Stevie and Darius says he likes Stevie but mostly like to listen to him on long car rides because the songs are long. This signaled to Teddy that Darius (new generation) truly don't appreciate the instrumentation of music. This was further evidenced by Darius telling him that he doesn't play the piano and he only wanted it because it was "cool". I knew then we were going to see the "history" lesson or the competition of what should be championed as black music. I think Teddy was disappointed in how "easy" it is to make music now and thus was angered with Darius when he said there wasn't a great sacrifice, Stevie sacrificed for greatness. I think it all comes back to the music industry today and how Paperboi basically lucked up into a music career with no real passion, urgency or hard-work. All the while, back in Teddy's day, you had to make a great sacrifice in order to share your art. His/Benny sacrifice was their whole childhood. Thus, Robbin' Season - Benny/Teddy lost childhood.

As I was watching this, I honestly thought about how extraordinary the writing and the shooting (cuts, scenes, and angles) were in this episode. Even the score and the music used in the episode was top notch.

The writing was just phenomenal. As some have mentioned, the struggle between the appreciation of the "golden era" of "Black music" to the current state was the main plot. That was evident to me immediately when Teddy asked Darius about him playing Stevie and Darius says he likes Stevie but mostly like to listen to him on long car rides because the songs are long. This signaled to Teddy that Darius (new generation) truly don't appreciate the instrumentation of music. This was further evidenced by Darius telling him that he doesn't play the piano and he only wanted it because it was "cool". I knew then we were going to see the "history" lesson or the competition of what should be championed as black music. I think Teddy was disappointed in how "easy" it is to make music now and thus was angered with Darius when he said there wasn't a great sacrifice, Stevie sacrificed for greatness. I think it all comes back to the music industry today and how Paperboi basically lucked up into a music career with no real passion, urgency or hard-work. All the while, back in Teddy's day, you had to make a great sacrifice in order to share your art. His/Benny sacrifice was their whole childhood. Thus, Robbin' Season - Benny/Teddy lost childhood.

whats crazy is that they didnt even really go into this like they should have

him wanting to kill darius because he hates rap and new black urban music culture made more sense than him randomly picking him

not to mention it would have made for a lot better convos between the two throughout

Just watched. Episode was great.

I loved the duality of having two brothers representing separate reasonings for MJ skin lightning (skin disease vs cosmetic procedures).

Ostrich egg: something as fragile as an egg has to be repeatedly beaten so it becomes "perfect".

Episode definitely meant to add to the larger convo of Black Men and mental health. "Your dad should've said sorry".

False. I needed to see Paperboy stop getting punked like a *****. Dude got away with way too much for my liking.

I agree but the barbershop episode wasn’t a let down by any stretch

Last one was the best out of the last three for me, barbershop episode is kind of hyped on here. Funny, but yeah they made Paperboi look like a ***** too much for my liking

Fun fact - Theodore Perkins was a fake name that MJ would sometimes use to move about in public

The actor who played the bartender in Season 1 episode 3 (he told Earn “Wow! You Broke as **** my *****!”) is the same actor who played Benny Perkins

gsPQrr4.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom