Formula 1 2008 Post

Originally Posted by eddiehouse5

did kov spray kimi in the eye with the champagne?

according to Kimi at the post-race press conf.
laugh.gif

Q: There was champagne under the eye-lid there.
KR: Yeah, we should put it in the mouth not in the eye. Things go wrong sometimes. Anyway it has been a perfect weekend.

[h2]The Bahrain Grand Prix Preview - a BMW Sauber breakthrough?[/h2]
BMW Sauber do not want to commit themselves to any hierarchical order at the moment, to quote technical director Willy Rampf, but there is absolutely nodoubt that they head into this weekend's Bahrain Grand Prix at Sakhir determined to keep up their good work and to do everything that they can to challengethe dominance of Ferrari and McLaren.

Can they do it? The performance of the BMW Sauber F1.08 in Australia and Malaysia suggests that they will at worst be able to keep up the pressure on theirrivals.

"Our bottom line after the first batch of overseas races looks pretty good: we're very happy with our two second places in Melbourne and Sepang, ourfirst fastest race lap in Malaysia and 19 points in the championship," team boss Mario Theissen said this week. "So, after a brief pit stop backhome, we will be heading for Bahrain well motivated. We aim to keep up the same level of performance as we've shown so far."

Ferrari are feeling very confident once again, following Kimi Raikkonen's dominant victory in Sepang. "We showed there what we are really capableof," said team principal Stefano Domenicali. "We believe that our title challenge is now well and truly launched."

Ferrari may have an advantage, together with Toyota, having tested here previously this year. McLaren, meanwhile, insist that not testing here will notdisadvantage them.

"Of course we would have liked to test in Bahrain but we do have to prioritise where we spend our time," says their Formula One CEO Martin Whitmarsh."Over the winter we have improved the aerodynamic efficiency of the car and cooling generally so it's not currently one of our vulnerable points. Wehave good data from running at the Bahrain track in previous years so we are confident it will not prove too much of a disadvantage."

Championship leader Lewis Hamilton loves the place: "Bahrain is a really cool circuit; it is quite different to any other because you are literallydriving round the desert. There are no trees or buildings as you are driving round, just desert. I really like the track, there are a lot of opportunities toovertake, for example Turns One, Four, Seven, and 10. With all the straights you can do a lot of slipstreaming and then make sure you get good exits. So interms of racing it is a very good track.

"The layout is a great design, starting off with a very long straight, then down to a very tight first gear corner and then you accelerate through aslight kink before going up another long straight. It is a curvy circuit with lots of kinks and gradient changes that are quite large in some areas. Also thewind plays a big part, bringing sand on to the track that means any part that is off line is very slippery. It is very hot in Bahrain, as in Australia andMalaysia, so it is ideal that these three are together at the beginning as they are all very physically demanding and you can prepare for them all at one time.

"I love the Bahrain race, it is one of the ones I really look forward too, like Monaco and Spa. I have a lot of good memories of the track; last year Ihad a fantastic race. It was great fun and I took my third podium in Formula 1 and took the joint lead of the World Championship, it was a bit unreal. The bestmemory is from 2004: I recovered from a disastrous qualifying in F3, and I ended up in 23rd. I worked my way back up the grid to win the race. That was one ofthe most emotional races I had been involved in up to that point."

Elsewhere, Red Bull and Toyota are seeking to continue their improved performance, Renault are looking for more on a track where the R25 and R26 models werepreviously victorious, and Williams are desperate to put the nightmare of Sepang behind them and run back at the head of the midfield as they did in Australia.

Like the Circuit du Gilles Villeneuve in Montreal, Sepang is very tough on brakes, with some heavy braking at the end of the high-speed straights, and theeffect of wind and sand blown on to the track as a result can lead to sudden changes in grip levels. It is also tough on engines. All teams take precautionsagainst the ingress of sand, and because of the way that the four long straights are each followed by tight corners, the engine's load profile is in themedium range with two thirds of a lap run under full throttle.

In the 2008 drivers' championship chase, Hamilton leads with 14 points from Raikkonen and Nick Heidfeld on 11 and Heikki Kovalainen on 10, while theconstructors' table sees McLaren on 24, BMW Sauber on 19 and Ferrari on 11.

ironically, Mosley was very vocal when Lewis suffered racist chants from a few Spanish fans when they tested in Barcalona...

Free Practice 1 Results

[table][tr][td]1[/td] [th="row"]Felipe Massa[/th] [td]Ferrari[/td] [td]1:32.233[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2[/td] [th="row"]Kimi Räikkönen[/th] [td]Ferrari[/td] [td]0:00.117[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3[/td] [th="row"]Nico Rosberg[/th] [td]Williams[/td] [td]0:00.182[/td] [/tr][tr][td]4[/td] [th="row"]Lewis Hamilton[/th] [td]McLaren[/td] [td]0:00.472[/td] [/tr][tr][td]5[/td] [th="row"]Heikki Kovalainen[/th] [td]McLaren[/td] [td]0:00.635[/td] [/tr][tr][td]6[/td] [th="row"]Kazuki Nakajima[/th] [td]Williams[/td] [td]0:00.888[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7[/td] [th="row"]Robert Kubica[/th] [td]BMW[/td] [td]0:01.100[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8[/td] [th="row"]Jarno Trulli[/th] [td]Toyota[/td] [td]0:01.306[/td] [/tr][tr][td]9[/td] [th="row"]David Coulthard[/th] [td]Red Bull[/td] [td]0:01.555[/td] [/tr][tr][td]10[/td] [th="row"]Fernando Alonso[/th] [td]Renault[/td] [td]0:01.582[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11[/td] [th="row"]Timo Glock[/th] [td]Toyota[/td] [td]0:01.696[/td] [/tr][tr][td]12[/td] [th="row"]Mark Webber[/th] [td]Red Bull[/td] [td]0:01.717[/td] [/tr][tr][td]13[/td] [th="row"]Nelsinho Piquet Jr[/th] [td]Renault[/td] [td]0:01.748[/td] [/tr][tr][td]14[/td] [th="row"]Nick Heidfeld[/th] [td]BMW[/td] [td]0:01.873[/td] [/tr][tr][td]15[/td] [th="row"]Sebastien Bourdais[/th] [td]Toro Rosso[/td] [td]0:02.002[/td] [/tr][tr][td]16[/td] [th="row"]Sebastien Vettel[/th] [td]Toro Rosso[/td] [td]0:02.088[/td] [/tr][tr][td]17[/td] [th="row"]Giancarlo Fisichella[/th] [td]Force India[/td] [td]0:02.659[/td] [/tr][tr][td]18[/td] [th="row"]Jenson Button[/th] [td]Honda[/td] [td]0:02.682[/td] [/tr][tr][td]19[/td] [th="row"]Rubens Barrichello[/th] [td]Honda[/td] [td]0:02.941[/td] [/tr][tr][td]20[/td] [th="row"]Adrian Sutil[/th] [td]Force India[/td] [td]0:03.196[/td] [/tr][tr][td]21[/td] [th="row"]Anthony Davidson[/th] [td]Super Aguri[/td] [td]0:03.912[/td] [/tr][tr][td]22[/td] [th="row"]Takuma Sato[/th] [td]Super Aguri[/td] [td]0:04.303[/td] [/tr][/table]

Free Practice 2 Results

01 F. Massa Ferrari 1:31.420 30 laps
02 K. Räikkönen Ferrari 1:32.327 30 laps
03 H. Kovalainen McLaren 1:32.752 30 laps
04 L. Hamilton McLaren 1:32.847 26 laps
05 R. Kubica BMW 1:32.915 29 laps
06 N. Rosberg Williams 1:33.022 34 laps
07 D. Coulthard Red Bull 1:33.048 27 laps
08 K. Nakajima Williams 1:33.098 33 laps
09 S. Bourdais Scuderia Toro Rosso 1:33.197 37 laps
10 N. Piquet jr. Renault 1:33.247 37 laps
11 J. Button Honda 1:33.710 33 laps
12 F. Alonso Renault 1:33.755 26 laps
13 M. Webber Red Bull 1:33.782 34 laps
14 J. Trulli Toyota 1:33.822 38 laps
15 T. Glock Toyota 1:33.856 30 laps
16 R. Barrichello Honda 1:33.966 35 laps
17 N. Heidfeld BMW 1:34.023 36 laps
18 G. Fisichella Force India F1 1:34.388 35 laps
19 A. Sutil Force India F1 1:34.405 34 laps
20 S. Vettel Scuderia Toro Rosso 1:34.787 30 laps
21 T. Sato Super Aguri 1:35.288 24 laps
22 A. Davidson Super Aguri 1:35.712 25 laps

Late into the session, Hamilton lost control of his MP4-23 exiting turn seven, before hitting the barriers at an estimated 200kph.

The impact damaged the right hand side of the MP4-23, and Hamilton returned to the Sakhir pitlane on the back of a recovery motorcycle. It was the only majorincident of the three hours of free practice today.

Also towards the end of the final 90-minute practice session for the day, Fernando Alonso collided with Force India's Adrian Sutil, causing the pair tospin.

always nice to see the lovely Ms. Beckinsale in the house...

anyway... here's the video...

Free Practice 3 Results

1 Nico Rosberg Williams 1:32.521
2 Felipe Massa Ferrari 0:00.205
3 Mark Webber Red Bull 0:00.221
4 Jarno Trulli Toyota 0:00.380
5 David Coulthard Red Bull 0:00.397
6 Kazuki Nakajima Williams 0:00.499
7 Robert Kubica BMW 0:00.503
8 Nelsinho Piquet Jr Renault 0:00.553
9 Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari 0:00.716
10 Heikki Kovalainen McLaren 0:00.846
11 Sebastien Bourdais Toro Rosso 0:00.851
12 Giancarlo Fisichella Force India 0:00.871
13 Fernando Alonso Renault 0:00.924
14 Rubens Barrichello Honda 0:01.030
15 Timo Glock Toyota 0:01.074
16 Jenson Button Honda 0:01.079
17 Sebastien Vettel Toro Rosso 0:01.130
18 Lewis Hamilton McLaren 0:01.138
19 Adrian Sutil Force India 0:01.336
20 Nick Heidfeld BMW 0:01.553
21 Anthony Davidson Super Aguri 0:02.070
22 Takuma Sato Super Aguri 0:02.431

Felipe looks tough to beat...

Felipe looks tough to beat...
he'll beat himself and crash or be forced to retire from a mechanical i bet. He's just forcing it too much this year without tc

edit: Kubica
eek.gif
I'm loving it, especially after schumi saying bmw'ssuccess won't last

GP of Bahrain Qualification:

Times
01 R. Kubica BMW 1:33.096
02 F. Massa Ferrari 1:33.123
03 L. Hamilton McLaren 1:33.292
04 K. Räikkönen Ferrari 1:33.418
05 H. Kovalainen McLaren 1:33.488
06 N. Heidfeld BMW 1:33.737
07 J. Trulli Toyota 1:33.994
08 N. Rosberg Williams 1:34.015
09 J. Button Honda 1:35.057
10 F. Alonso Renault 1:35.115
11 M. Webber Red Bull 1:32.371
12 R. Barrichello Honda 1:32.508
13 T. Glock Toyota 1:32.528
14 N. Piquet jr. Renault 1:32.790
15 S. Bourdais Scuderia Toro Rosso 1:32.915
16 K. Nakajima Williams 1:32.943
17 D. Coulthard Red Bull 1:33.433
18 G. Fisichella Force India F1 1:33.501
19 S. Vettel Scuderia Toro Rosso 1:33.501
20 A. Sutil Force India F1 1:33.845
21 A. Davidson Super Aguri 1:34.140
22 T. Sato Super Aguri 1:35.725

Congrats to Kubica and BMW Sauber on their first pole!

but in all fairness... I think Kubica and Lewis were both running light... Massa's looked strong all weekend and as much as I would like to think thathe'll throw it all away after a few laps, I just don't think its gonna happen...

It's gonna be a great 1st corner battle between Kimi and Lewis Hamilton; it'll be really interesting to see if Kubica can keep his P1 after the initiallaps of the race given he's never been on pole. Then, assuming Kimi's on a heavier load than Massa (2 laps IMO), can Massa manage to keep his leadover Kimi after the 1st pits? Hopefully it'll be a Ferrari 1-2 finish with Kubica rounding out the podium.

BMW are for real this year, they were hovering around last year, but not really a serious threat to Mclaren or Ferrari. So far they have been among it all thisyear.

that was a nice piece they did on jim clark. I've always had a special affinity for him being he was a lotus driver. It was truly sad that he was takenbefore his time.

edit 1- 4:36 am
laugh.gif
at lewis ramming alonso

edit 2- 6:09 am that was a rather uneventful race after what we've seen all season. As much as I wish masa would have retired, he had a solid drive. BMW ismaking leaps this season. That first win is really dangling in front of them this year with a little more work

edit 3- 6:17 LOL at kimi ditching the fake champagne so quickly.
laugh.gif
Hehas the thirst

not sure if Lewis 'rammed' into alonso... alonso did look like he suddenly lost acceleration... conspiracy theorists will say alonso lifted-off todistract lewis... it'll be an interesting talkin point for sure...

anyway...
tired.gif

[table][tr][td]1[/td] [th="row"]Felipe Massa[/th] [td]Ferrari[/td] [td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]2[/td] [th="row"]Kimi Räikkönen[/th] [td]Ferrari[/td] [td]3.339[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3[/td] [th="row"]Robert Kubica[/th] [td]BMW[/td] [td]4.998[/td] [/tr][tr][td]4[/td] [th="row"]Nick Heidfeld[/th] [td]BMW[/td] [td]8.409[/td] [/tr][tr][td]5[/td] [th="row"]Heikki Kovalainen[/th] [td]McLaren[/td] [td]26.789[/td] [/tr][tr][td]6[/td] [th="row"]Jarno Trulli[/th] [td]Toyota[/td] [td]41.314[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7[/td] [th="row"]Mark Webber[/th] [td]Red Bull[/td] [td]45.473[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8[/td] [th="row"]Nico Rosberg[/th] [td]Williams[/td] [td]55.889[/td] [/tr][tr][td]9[/td] [th="row"]Timo Glock[/th] [td]Toyota[/td] [td]1:09.500[/td] [/tr][tr][td]10[/td] [th="row"]Fernando Alonso[/th] [td]Renault[/td] [td]1:17.101[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11[/td] [th="row"]Rubens Barrichello[/th] [td]Honda[/td] [td]1:17.182[/td] [/tr][tr][td]12[/td] [th="row"]Giancarlo Fisichella[/th] [td]Force India[/td] [td]*at 1 lap[/td] [/tr][tr][td]13[/td] [th="row"]Lewis Hamilton[/th] [td]McLaren[/td] [td]*at 1 lap[/td] [/tr][tr][td]14[/td] [th="row"]Kazuki Nakajima[/th] [td]Williams[/td] [td]*at 1 lap[/td] [/tr][tr][td]15[/td] [th="row"]Sebastien Bourdais[/th] [td]Toro Rosso[/td] [td]*at 1 lap[/td] [/tr][tr][td]16[/td] [th="row"]Anthony Davidson[/th] [td]Super Aguri[/td] [td]*at 1 lap[/td] [/tr][tr][td]17[/td] [th="row"]Takuma Sato[/th] [td]Super Aguri[/td] [td]*at 1 lap[/td] [/tr][tr][td]18[/td] [th="row"]David Coulthard[/th] [td]Red Bull[/td] [td]*at 1 lap[/td] [/tr][tr][td]19[/td] [th="row"]Adrian Sutil[/th] [td]Force India[/td] [td]*at 2 laps[/td] [/tr][tr][td]20[/td] [th="row"]Nelsinho Piquet Jr[/th] [td]Renault[/td] [td]*out[/td] [/tr][tr][td]21[/td] [th="row"]Jenson Button[/th] [td]Honda[/td] [td]*out[/td] [/tr][tr][td]22[/td] [th="row"]Sebastien Vettel[/th] [td]Toro Rosso[/td] [td]*out[/td] [/tr][/table]

well i didn't mean that he literally intentionally rammed him. Just what I felt to be an accurate description of the event itself, not a placement of fault

anyone with the ITV broadcast in here? Brundle, Blundell, Allen & co must but going nuts claiming Alonso lifted...
laugh.gif

another interesting point is how bad BMW kicked Macca's +##!...
eek.gif

anyone with the ITV broadcast in here? Brundle, Blundell, Allen & co must but going nuts claiming Alonso lifted...
laugh.gif

It went something like "Lewis doesn't want to be anywhere near Alonso" then oops up the back he went.

Surely to shut up all the theorists they could just look at the computer read outs as they monitor everything. Then you can see what Nando actually did.

The best part of the ITV coverage is the interviews on the grid before the race. "There's Macy Grey, i'll go chat to her. Macy what brings you tothe race?". "I'm here to watch the race." "
indifferent.gif
Yeah i gathered that
indifferent.gif
"

Very Dull race, though the aerial shots of the track where
eek.gif

Martin's Gridwalk is
pimp.gif

did he interview George Lucas... at least, it looked like him... ?

well... they're not blaming each other... so much for the conspiracy theories...

Lewis Hamilton -

"I messed up at the start as I didn't hit the switch early enough, and therefore hadn't engaged the correct engine setting and the anti-stallkicked in. I lost a lot of places, but things were still salvageable at that point. Then I had the incident with Fernando. I was behind him, I moved to theright and he moved to the right and that was it - a racing incident I guess. "

Fernando Alonso -

"The McLaren was just a lot faster than my car and he crashed into me. I think we were running too close and for sure maybe he didn't realise howclose we were."

Telemetry data also confirms that Alonso had his throttle wide open...

Back
Top Bottom