Formula 1 2008 Post

[table][tr][td]1[/td] [th="row"]Lewis Hamilton[/th] [td]McLaren[/td] [td]1:34:50.616[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2[/td] [th="row"]Nick Heidfeld[/th] [td]BMW[/td] [td]5.478[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3[/td] [th="row"]Nico Rosberg[/th] [td]Williams[/td] [td]8.163[/td] [/tr][tr][td]4[/td] [th="row"]Fernando Alonso[/th] [td]Renault[/td] [td]17.181[/td] [/tr][tr][td]5[/td] [th="row"]Heikki Kovalainen[/th] [td]McLaren[/td] [td]18.014[/td] [/tr][tr][td]6[/td] [th="row"]Rubens Barrichello[/th] [td]Honda[/td] [td]52.453[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7[/td] [th="row"]Kazuki Nakajima[/th] [td]Williams[/td] [td]at 1 lap[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8[/td] [th="row"]Sebastien Bourdais[/th] [td]Toro Rosso[/td] [td]out[/td] [/tr][tr][td]9[/td] [th="row"]Kimi Räikkönen[/th] [td]Ferrari[/td] [td]out[/td] [/tr][tr][td]10[/td] [th="row"]Robert Kubica[/th] [td]BMW[/td] [td]out[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11[/td] [th="row"]Timo Glock[/th] [td]Toyota[/td] [td]out[/td] [/tr][tr][td]12[/td] [th="row"]Takuma Sato[/th] [td]Super Aguri[/td] [td]out[/td] [/tr][tr][td]13[/td] [th="row"]Nelsinho Piquet Jr[/th] [td]Renault[/td] [td]out[/td] [/tr][tr][td]14[/td] [th="row"]Felipe Massa[/th] [td]Ferrari[/td] [td]out[/td] [/tr][tr][td]15[/td] [th="row"]David Coulthard[/th] [td]Red Bull[/td] [td]out[/td] [/tr][tr][td]16[/td] [th="row"]Jarno Trulli[/th] [td]Toyota[/td] [td]out[/td] [/tr][tr][td]17[/td] [th="row"]Adrian Sutil[/th] [td]Force India[/td] [td]out[/td] [/tr][tr][td]18[/td] [th="row"]Mark Webber[/th] [td]Red Bull[/td] [td]out[/td] [/tr][tr][td]19[/td] [th="row"]Jenson Button[/th] [td]Honda[/td] [td]out[/td] [/tr][tr][td]20[/td] [th="row"]Anthony Davidson[/th] [td]Super Aguri[/td] [td]out[/td] [/tr][tr][td]21[/td] [th="row"]Sebastien Vettel[/th] [td]Toro Rosso[/td] [td]out[/td] [/tr][tr][td]22[/td] [th="row"]Giancarlo Fisichella[/th] [td]Force India[/td] [td]out[/td] [/tr][/table]

That was 58 laps of insanity. Idk how they didn't get Barrichello for leaving the pit on that red. And I want to know what happened with kovalainen andalonso there on that last lap. That was bizarre.

yeah... where to begin... maybe Barrichello will get a post-race penalty for that red... but kovy's exit out of the final turn didn't look all thatbad... it was down the straight, where he sort of lost power... very strange...

Ferraris - DC said that he wanted to kick the @&#% out of Massa for causing the accident... haha... hard to say who was at fault... will have to watch thereplays again... as for Kimi, I'm tempted to say driver error on both incidents, but it might been a brake issue as well...

and it was great to see Lewis and Nico on the podium especially having grown up together in karting and all...

Edit - Kovy admits mistake

An honest Heikki Kovalainen has revealed he was at fault when Renault's Fernando Alonso stole back fourth place in theclosing stages of the Australian GP.
Denied a deserved podium finish by the deployment of the safety car following Tim Glock's crash, the Finn appeared to have madepartial amends on the penultimate lap when he finally found a way past Alonso, the driver who he has replaced at McLaren. But moments later Alonso swept pastKovalainen as his McLaren suddenly slowed to a crawl along the pitlane.

"It was my mistake," conceded the Finn after the race. "I went with my right hand to tear off a visor after it wascovered in oil and accidentally hit the pit-lane limiter."

Nonetheless, it was an impressive race from the youngster who set the fastest lap time of the grand prix. "I'm pleased butdisappointed," he reflected.
:smh: :smh: :smh:

Ferrari's not finishing
pimp.gif

What can I say about this race? Just absolute insanity but also very entertaining

Off to Malaysia we go....

Crazy crazy race. Pretty much had everything. One to forget though if you are Ferrari.

Lewis and Heikki are going to be a good team.

I've decided that in 09 or 10 I want to see alonso at ferrari (his ego would fit well with unofficial team orders) and kimi back at mclaren but with thereliability of the car last year (and hopefully this year). I had such high hopes in 06 but there were just so many mechanical problems. a kimi/lewis duo wouldbe insane but I don't know how they'd get along. Doubtful it will happen but possible. And D'oh to kov on hitting the pit limiter.

^^I suppose it could be very remotely possible, but it's highly unlikely. Kimi left McLaren for a reason, and he's expressed that he's very happywith Ferrari. Not to mention it was hard enough for him to get past Schumacher's shadow; fighting for supremacy all over again against Lewis-maniawouldn't be of any benefit. He actually said in '06 that he doesn't even plan to race in F1 much longer, but that could (and probably did) changenow that he's tasted the WDC.

And speaking of extrodinary drivers, that was a tough break for Sebastian Bourdais. Hopefully everyone knows he's for real now, though. He should have beenin F1 years before this season. An F3 and F3000 champion not finding at least a mid-pack ride after graduation is unusual, and I can imagine his frustration.It's too bad that his talent is wasted in a backmarker like an STR car.

i love how kimi was driving like it was a video game or something. reckless abandon, i can dig it.

Originally Posted by JMaddness2345129

^^I suppose it could be very remotely possible, but it's highly unlikely. Kimi left McLaren for a reason, and he's expressed that he's very happy with Ferrari. Not to mention it was hard enough for him to get past Schumacher's shadow; fighting for supremacy all over again against Lewis-mania wouldn't be of any benefit. He actually said in '06 that he doesn't even plan to race in F1 much longer, but that could (and probably did) change now that he's tasted the WDC.

And speaking of extrodinary drivers, that was a tough break for Sebastian Bourdais. Hopefully everyone knows he's for real now, though. He should have been in F1 years before this season. An F3 and F3000 champion not finding at least a mid-pack ride after graduation is unusual, and I can imagine his frustration. It's too bad that his talent is wasted in a backmarker like an STR car.

Well I'm just thinking along the lines that we know alonso has expressed interest in ferrari and ferrari had expressed interest at one point as well.Plus the pretty much confirmed rumors of the out clause in alonso's new renault contract should the car be sub par (which we have no real gauge of fromyesterday). I can't remember how long kimi's contract is though so idk. I'd just love to see him back

Kimi has a three-year contract with Ferrari (07-09)... I think he's also indicated before that this will be his last F1 contract... so assuming that allthis remains unchanged, and if alonso is still in F1, he might get a shot at a Ferrari drive in 2010... hard to see him with Ferrari at the same time with Kimi(say, in '09)... he'll want his #1 status, and with Kimi there, its not gonna happen... highly unlikely to see him back to McLaren as well...

^^^ Kimi has said in the offseason that he will decide whether to remain in F1 when his contract is up. At this moment, he's enjoying the sport and he maywell decide to go on racing with Ferrari but again, that's as of right now. He's handpicked by Luca Montezemolo (sp) so as long as he wants the drive,it's his. There're rumors that Alonso has an out clause in '09, so it's more Alonso wants to make himself available to Ferrari IF Ferrariwants him and that's gonna happen only if Kimi decides to retire. Even then, I say Ferrari should go after Nico Rosberg, the kid's got some seriousskills with (so far) no indication he's a diva.

I think Ferrari made the decision to go with Kimi rather than Alonso partly because like Michael, Alonso "demands" the no. 1 driver status while Lucawas determined to reclaim some of the powers that had been ceded to Michael. In the end I think Ferrari made the right call and I'm loving Kimi as aFerrari driver. Only if the scuderia can shape up and give Kimi the support he needs to win another WDC, incorrect fuel pump setting, incorrect quali ruleinterpretation/lack of a contigency plan, dropping the ball to get Kimi into the pits to get some fresh tires (and fuel) so he could pass people without takinga detour into the gravel trap...etc. It's really a miracle Kimi managed a point (even if it was Reubino's mistake that handed him the point) when itcould've been a podium finish (or rather, should've been).

Again, Ferrari better shape up in Malaysia in 5 days or this could get out of hand before they even return to Europe.

On a side note, since when has Seb Vettel been linked to the 2nd seat at Ferrari? I am beginning to think Massa simply can not get the job done when it reallycounts and Sebastian wouldn't be a bad choice; him and Timo Glock are 2 interesting young drivers to watch.

BeatSlim - you keeping this as the F1 thread for the season?

anyway... ahead the Malaysian GP, Schumi as commented on Massa's 2 incidents in Melbourne...

Schumacher admits to Ferrari errors in Melbourne
Thu 20 Mar, 07:21 AM

Michael Schumacher has admitted that Ferrari's drivers contributed to the Italian team's dismal opening race of the season in Melbourne last Sunday.
The former champion told Auto Motor und Sport that Felipe Massa's first corner crash, and subsequent collision with David Coulthard, were both drivererrors.

Schumacher said a post-race analysis shows that Massa was in too low a gear when he spun into the barriers on lap one at Albert Park.
"At the moment we do not know why," he said, "but now without traction control, and on cold tyres, the car in that moment becomes verycritical."

Schumacher also said that, while Coulthard should shoulder some of the responsibility, Massa was to blame for the crash later in the race.
"You have to say that David could have been a little cleverer about it," he said, "but there is no question that Felipe was the cause."

On reigning world champion Kimi Raikkonen, Schumacher said the Finn was "too optimistic" as he made two notable driving errors in Melbourne.

Massa on pole
pimp.gif

Gotta love FiA weather reports. They'll have you in flip flops in the snow and jackets in the summer.

lol

Damn...
smh.gif
smh.gif

Both McLaren drivers have been docked five places on the Sepang grid after stewards found them guilty of impeding in qualifying for the Malaysian GrandPrix.

Nick Heidfeld and Fernando Alonso complained to the stewards that, although up to half a dozen runners were driving very slowly while conserving fuel at theend of the sixty minute session, only Lewis Hamilton and Heikki Kovalainen were cruising on the racing line.

Kovalainen and Hamilton qualified third and fourth, so they will start Sunday's race from eighth and ninth respectively, the stewards revealed in a rulingthat was handed down after 7pm local.

Revised grid order for the Malaysian Grand Prix.

1st row:
Felipe Massa (BRA/Ferrari)
Kimi Raikkonen (FIN/Ferrari)

2nd row:
Jarno Trulli (ITA/Toyota)
Robert Kubica (POL/BMW Sauber)

3rd row:
Nick Heidfeld (GER/BMW Sauber)
Mark Webber (AUS/Red Bull Renault)

4th row:
Fernando Alonso (ESP/Renault)
Heikki Kovalainen (FIN/McLaren Mercedes)

5th row:
Lewis Hamilton (GBR/McLaren Mercedes)
Timo Glock (GER/Toyota)

6th row:
Jenson Button (GBR/Honda)
David Coulthard (GBR/Red Bull Renault)

7th row:
Nelson Piquet Jr (BRA/Renault)
Rubens Barrichello (BRA/Honda)

8th row:
Sebastian Vettel (GER/Toro Rosso Ferrari)
Nico Rosberg (GER/Williams Toyota)

9th row:
Giancarlo Fisichella (ITA/Force India Ferrari)
Sébastien Bourdais (FRA/Toro Rosso Ferrari)

10th row:
Takuma Sato (JPN/Super Aguri Honda)
Adrian Sutil (GER/Force India Ferrari)

11th row:
Anthony Davidson (GBR/Super Aguri Honda)
Kazuki Nakajima (JPN/Williams Toyota)

Idk if this is being overlooked, but I think Kimi is going to be the driver hurt the most by no traction control. When he was with Mclaren, I used to think hewas the unluckiest person around, with his tires and suspension messing up and random runs off the track at the end of races...

but i'm starting to think that he brought that upon himself...he's probably the fastest driver in F1, but he doesn't take care of his car and hehas these lapses where he just makes mistakes...no traction control is going to amplify that...

look how many times he went off the track in Australia...

2008 FORMULA 1 PETRONAS MALAYSIAN GRAND PRIX
Provisional Results
Pos No Driver Team Laps Time/Retired Grid Pts
1 1 Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari 56 Winner 2 10
2 4 Robert Kubica BMW 56 +19.5 secs 4 8
3 23 Heikki Kovalainen McLaren-Mercedes 56 +38.4 secs 8 6
4 11 Jarno Trulli Toyota 56 +45.8 secs 3 5
5 22 Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 56 +46.5 secs 9 4
6 3 Nick Heidfeld BMW 56 +49.8 secs 5 3
7 10 Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 56 +68.1 secs 6 2
8 5 Fernando Alonso Renault 56 +70.0 secs 7 1
9 9 David Coulthard Red Bull-Renault 56 +76.2 secs 12
10 16 Jenson Button Honda 56 +86.2 secs 11
11 6 Nelsinho Piquet Renault 56 +92.2 secs 13
12 21 Giancarlo Fisichella Force India-Ferrari 55 +1 Lap 17
13 17 Rubens Barrichello Honda 55 +1 Lap 14
14 7 Nico Rosberg Williams-Toyota 55 +1 Lap 16
15 19 Anthony Davidson Super Aguri-Honda 55 +1 Lap 21
16 18 Takuma Sato Super Aguri-Honda 54 +2 Laps 19
17 8 Kazuki Nakajima Williams-Toyota 54 +2 Laps 22
Ret 15 Sebastian Vettel STR-Ferrari 39 +17 Laps 15
Ret 2 Felipe Massa Ferrari 30 +26 Laps 1
Ret 20 Adrian Sutil Force India-Ferrari 5 +51 Laps 20
Ret 12 Timo Glock Toyota 1 +55 Laps 10
Ret 14 Sebastien Bourdais STR-Ferrari 0 +56 Laps 18

Did they hand out any penalties after qualifying? I'm not sure, and i dont want to check anywhere because i dunno what time the race is and what the delayis for English TV lol.

^ Read post #41

on a sidenote, did massa drop it all by himself again? he just seemed to lose it at the apex... it would seem that the lack of TC's really hurting him...

Follow-up...

"I don't know what happened, I just lost the car completely," he was quoted as explaining to the British broadcasterITV.
"There was strange behaviour on the rear, so I don't know," the Brazilian added.

Blaming his machinery?
laugh.gif

It's still early in the season and I'd still like to give Massa a chance, but he's just not coping with this whole no TC thing. I mean,he's already shown he can be passed on the regular basis by the top dogs (Kimi, Alonso, Lewis and the list is expanding), makes mistakes when he'sunder pressure and now this, I'm not sure SF can depend on him to get the scuderia enough points for them to compete with VMM in the WCC. Back in thedays, you could at least count on Eddie Irvine to hold up Mika Hakkinen and/or DC and Reubino to hold up Kimi and put up a respectable fight but Massacan't even do that. If he still can't shape up by the end of this season, they've got to cut him loose and either get Michael back or someoneelse.

Kimi, on the other hand, drove absolutely superbly and I hope he can carry the momentum to Bahrain.

BMW Sauber continues to be really strong and seems to be capable of challenging podium positions on a regular basis while Red Bull, Toyota, Williams and Hondaall shown signs it may be an interesting year. Can't wait 'til the next round!

Back
Top Bottom