For those that are married, is it the norm to move in before marriage?

Just something I thought about. I’m a old school traditional type of dude, but it appears that it’s more of the norm that couples that are just on the BF/GF stage are moving in with one another. I know it’s “traditional” to move in with your S/O during marriage, but is it becoming to be the new norm that people are moving in WAAY before marriage?

Yes, it is very normal and very practical.

If anything, I think the, "Jesus doesn't want us to Shack up" approach isn't practiced that much in the US compared to the past

I preach this all the time. Minimum of 6 months...

You’ll find out some of the most digusting things about your mate, may make you reconsider marrying the person. :lol:

Most DEFINITELY move in together....coexisting with each other really puts your relationship to the test, I would also suggest managing your money together before marriage.

It is the new normal for couples to be living together whether they plan to get married or not. If the plan is to get married then best believe we are going to be living together for some time prior to that. It's not back in the day where that kind of stuff was seriously frowned upon. Marriage isn't as sacred as it once was so people are getting divorced for damn near any reason. You need to know what you are getting yourself into.

Can't imagine not living with a person first before marrying them. You don't know a person until you live with them.

I think it's very practical. Ive never been married or been a long term relationship. But I would move in with a girl cause I know she can help me along the way and I'll do the same. I've met girls like they can do a great job as a companion to live with but me being me. Gave them the Jazzy Jeff once they felt to comfortable. This was when I had my apartment in Queens, NYC.

E703213A-93DD-4FAD-A34C-D542E79A23B7.gif

Moving in before Marriage is definitely smart.
I couldn’t imagine doing it the other way.

Just something I thought about. I’m a old school traditional type of dude, but it appears that it’s more of the norm that couples that are just on the BF/GF stage are moving in with one another. I know it’s “traditional” to move in with your S/O during marriage, but is it becoming to be the new norm that people are moving in WAAY before marriage?

"New norm" ... huh?

People been moving in living together in the bf/gf stage for at least 20 years.

Im not marrying someone who i havent LIVED with for at least a year, AT LEAST. Personally I want 2.

If you just casually sleeping over they can clean hold back etc. You dont truly know someone til you see how they live, and you will find out what makes or breaks the relationship with their living habits

Currently trying to figure out getting out of my lease so me and my girl can get a spot together. Been there 2 years already and we both just resigned our leases. Just no point in us having separate apartments since I'm always over there.

Currently trying to figure out getting out of my lease so me and my girl can get a spot together. Been there 2 years already and we both just resigned our leases. Just no point in us having separate apartments since I'm always over there.
This is how my wife and i were when we first started getting serious. She was always staying at my place, so her roommate was pretty much getting a 2 br apt to herself for half the price. Was much better when that money started going to our shared apt. Lived together about 3-4 years before we got married, wouldnt have had it any other way.

Who has the better apartment/ neighborhood/commute to work etc?
Pick like that and you can either try to sublease your apartment to a homie you know who needs a place to stay and someone you can trust. Or just tell the landlord or management company you gotta leave to another state for a job. Might face a penality depending on contract you signed.

Who has the better apartment/ neighborhood/commute to work etc?
Pick like that and you can either try to sublease your apartment to a homie you know who needs a place to stay and someone you can trust. Or just tell the landlord or management company you gotta leave to another state for a job. Might face a penality depending on contract you signed.
We both live in nice complexes but hers is a lot more luxury than mine and its like a 4 min drive to her job, she got rid of her car because her job is so close and my job from her apt is closer as well. We were thinking about getting a place in that area but if her complex would let her move into a different unit then I would just get put on the lease and go from there. I don't see why her complex would say no to her wanting to get a bigger place and give them more $

I personally think you should live together before marriage. The 'traditional' way doesn't make sense to me other than strict religious beliefs. You truly don't know someone until you've had to live with them for a long period of time. You see them at their best, worst, what their good and bad habits are like, how they are as a cohabitant. Who knows, you may find out she's lazy or messy, or likes to cook or clean.

Personally, I think everyone should do this. The only reason why people don't do this is because of strong (and crazy) religious values which makes zero sense and have been passed down overtime.

We both live in nice complexes but hers is a lot more luxury than mine and its like a 4 min drive to her job, she got rid of her car because her job is so close and my job from her apt is closer as well. We were thinking about getting a place in that area but if her complex would let her move into a different unit then I would just get put on the lease and go from there. I don't see why her complex would say no to her wanting to get a bigger place and give them more $

Sounds like a good idea. Honestly. Just go put it into action. Also if you know God forbid your relationship goes sour you can always go back to your apartment if you do the sub-lease part cause it's still under your name.

I think this thread open a lot of minds but moving in with the gf-bf things was done heavily in the 90s.

If you ever watch a episode of Martin. Gina moved in with him. Lol

Back
Top Bottom