FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

Yea, well the Snappers I bought were about 10lbs each.

I love snapper though. I will try the pompano beach fish when I go back though.

Oh damb.

Well yea eat the stuff in the head if your into that.
If not do the other options mentioned above I guess

tomdiginson tomdiginson M Mark Antony

Any suggestions on how to prep the Snapper?

I NEVER fry anything in my house, I hate the smell of fried food.

So on the Weber might be the move. Any tips?
Traditionally, we fry fish without flour, so the key is to make sure that the oil is very hot and the fish is patted dry with some paper towel. All of this is essential cause you don't want the fish to stick, nor fall apart during the frying process. I also drop whole pieces of garlic , thyme and a whole scotch bonnet in the oil preemptively to flavor the oil. As it gets, hotter I scoop them out and then place the fish in.

In regards to frying inside your house, an extend family member (May she Rest In Peace) introduced me to boiling fabric softener. You pour some fabric softener in a old pot and boil it and it will reduce the fried food scent in your home significantly. I still use the grill to fry outside cause it's easier to cleanup, but that's also an option.

Traditionally, we fry fish without flour, so the key is to make sure that the oil is very hot and the fish is patted dry with some paper towel. All of this is essential cause you don't want the fish to stick, nor fall apart during the frying process. I also drop whole pieces of garlic , thyme and a whole scotch bonnet in the oil preemptively to flavor the oil. As it gets, hotter I scoop them out and then place the fish in.

In regards to frying inside your house, an extend family member (May she Rest In Peace) introduced me to boiling fabric softener. You pour some fabric softener in a old pot and boil it and it will reduce the fried food scent in your home significantly. I still use the grill to fry outside cause it's easier to cleanup, but that's also an option.
Thanks for me the tips. DOn't think I have ever owned non-fabric softener in the form of the dry sheets, and these days I use the dryer balls. :lol:

I guess I can try the fried version.

What do serve with it?

I bought a Ghanaian Yam, similar to Jamaican Ya, but it is white and not yellow.

Maybe some cabbage

Thanks for me the tips. DOn't think I have ever owned non-fabric softener in the form of the dry sheets, and these days I use the dryer balls. :lol:

I guess I can try the fried version.

What do serve with it?

I bought a Ghanaian Yam, similar to Jamaican Ya, but it is white and not yellow.

Maybe some cabbage
We also have white yams, people just prefer the yellow since its a bit drier in texture. Based on the items that you've mentioned, I would brown stew the fish after frying it cause it would have that nice rich gravy that would go well with the yam along with some steam cabbage. If you wanted to stick with the fried fish, then I would make garlic mashed white yam and slaw with the cabbage. Hell, you could still make the brownstew gravy on the side. Just fry one of the fish heads and use it as a base for when making the gravy.

Yea, well the Snappers I bought were about 10lbs each.

I love snapper though. I will try the pompano beach fish when I go back though.
I would chop them up(remove the eyes if that's your preference ) and steam then with veggies and Jamaican water crackers
IMG_20200409_204214.jpg

Last edited:
tomdiginson tomdiginson M Mark Antony

Any suggestions on how to prep the Snapper?

I NEVER fry anything in my house, I hate the smell of fried food.

So on the Weber might be the move. Any tips?
Frying isn't my strong suit, but yeah on the weber in cast iron should be fine. My uncle who's the best with it and used to sell it as a kid back in JA does it outdoors in one of these, a deep electric griddle with lid.

q

I figured, was just confused by the Pulistic name and Avy. It all makes sense now. You guys make very bland food.
truth. i used to live out there and it's some type of seasonless potatoes with everything
the good thing I was just outside of london where the influence of foreign countries is very strong.
mayonaisse, brown sauce, vinegar, and tomato sauce was sitting on every table too

Back
Top Bottom