FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

#UserError

Order them well done.

That's on you.

But I only eat my food on the spot so it also doesn't get time to get soggy.
Nah, yo.

If your entire menu consists of about 5 different items and you need your customers to tell you how to make one of them the correct way then that’s on YOU as a business.

They’re not bad when they’re cooked all the way, but why should you even have to make the request to have fries that aren’t soggy?

Your comment also doesn’t really address my post since people hype them up despite ordering them without caveats.

Nah, yo.

If your entire menu consists of about 5 different items and you need your customers to tell you how to make one of them the correct way then that’s on YOU as a business.

They’re not bad when they’re cooked all the way, but why should you even have to make the request to have fries that aren’t soggy?
I understand where you are coming from, I do.

I am simply saying, if you know they taste better when the modification is made and you continue to go there and order with "Default Settings", you set yourself up. (Not saying that is what you HAVE been doing intentionally)

I assume they, as with most spots, don't cook stuff hard by default because most people might consider things burned and aren't bothered by semi-sogginess? ( mplsdunk mplsdunk any thoughts? )

Need to fill my bagel craving this weekend. As long as the weather is nice, I'll take a walk Saturday or Sunday AM to the local spot about 15 minutes away. Buy fresh & store 'em in the freezer.

Nah, yo.

Your comment also doesn’t really address my post since people hype them up despite ordering them without caveats.
Main reason it's not a go to for me.

Like I have to commit myself to being in the mood for their fries.

Plus when ordering through an app there is no option to fry the fries hard.

I wouldn't rank them as the worst worst though.
I understand where you are coming from, I do.

I am simply saying, if you know they taste better when the modification is made and you continue to go there and order with "Default Settings", you set yourself up. (Not saying that is what you HAVE been doing intentionally)

I assume they, as with most spots, don't cook stuff hard by default because most people might consider things burned and aren't bothered by semi-sogginess? ( mplsdunk mplsdunk any thoughts? )
This didnt really have anything to do with Comparison Ford Comparison Ford going to 5 Guys knowing he'd get soggy fries.

He started off his post asking who do you think has the most overrated fries.

Off rip, if I gotta tell you how to do it your fries will jump to the top of overrated and bad. Especially if you had a reputation of having good fries (which many say 5 Guys does).

The FRYGOD has spoken.

fixed*

FLYGOD_album_cover.jpg

RE: Authenticity - I tend to agree with DC. if it's good, it's good

that's more so regarding ingredients than who's making the food. some of the best dishes are result of mixed cultures and ingredients not available to those making the original versions

i'll admit if I'm going to a Mexican, Jamaican, Italian, Thai, etc. spot - I prefer to see people of that ethnicity making the food. not that Olegs Jerk Chicken can't be good but I don't expect it to be

Walkerswood jerk marinade is bomb, that's what I use. Haven't been able to find anything locally in a min, damn near tempted to buy this 50 pound tub for the low... but I don't eat THAT much jerk.

Anyway I went to Jamaica when I was 19... so 15 years ago, and I was surprised at the amount of Chinese there... wasn't expecting it at all.

Yeah my cousins are Chinese, Jamaican Chinese food is an experience. As far as authenticity my views changed over the years. Some folks really have an aptitude for cooking, no matter what and they can recreate or elevate a wonderful dish, I don't rule out just because you're not of that culture.

An example of someone who PROBABLY makes better food than MOST people from the origin

The difference is he’s spent time in Italy, he’s eaten a lot of pizza, he respects the origin and craft. He’s obsessive.

Anybody can cook anything, in theory. You don't have to be of that culture in order to make authentic style food, but you do need some experience with said culture in order to learn the fundamentals of how it should be made. That's the point of going to culinary school, you learn about the food, how it came to being, etc, etc. Not to say you can't learn all of this with Google, for the most part, but that's the difference between someone that has a formal degree and someone that is self educated.

Ultimately cooking is pretty easy if you can follow directions and are observant, but you will always be better at anything if someone that is already good at it is helping you.

Anybody can cook anything, in theory. You don't have to be of that culture in order to make authentic style food, but you do need some experience with said culture in order to learn the fundamentals of how it should be made. That's the point of going to culinary school, you learn about the food, how it came to being, etc, etc. Not to say you can't learn all of this with Google, for the most part, but that's the difference between someone that has a formal degree and someone that is self educated.

Ultimately cooking is pretty easy if you can follow directions and are observant, but you will always be better at anything if someone that is already good at it is helping you.
Yeah but are you eating Oleg’s Jerk?

Yep, that was when I was introduced to how many CHinese folks were living in Jamaica. It was weird seeing that but understandable.
Lots of varying backgrounds of people in Jamaica. Chinese, Indian, Arab, Caucasian etc Hell, one of our former Prime ministers are of Lebanese descent.

Yeah but are you eating Oleg’s Jerk?
How can you tell if Oleg is cooking the jerk in the back? I went to this Jamaican restaurant in the UK, and was surprised to see that one of the chefs was white.

some of the best foods I've ever had were at the Fiesta Grand Americana in Cabos... which were inspired by foods all around the world. I'm also sure most of those head chefs learned how to cook over seas too...

Back
Top Bottom