Fighting a Ticket vol. NYC Quota

kcenaek0rb

Banned
So I got a ticket the other day stating "I was 3 feet from the hydrant".
It was more like 10 feet, of course I don't have any actual proof and I didn't have a ruler or anything with me but the 10 foot approximation was clearly a better assumption. Anyone with basic mathematical knowledge would agree it wasn't 3 feet. 

Anyway to possibly fight this? I'm planning on visiting the local DMV lawyer tomorrow, but I heard that their pricing + no help will = me paying even more on the top of the ticket. I'm not sure what I can possibly do but I'm not willing to pay $115 without at least trying to fight this.

If worst really comes to worst, and there's nothing to be done, I guess I'll pay for it and suck it up. 
grin.gif

So I got a ticket the other day stating "I was 3 feet from the hydrant".
It was more like 10 feet, of course I don't have any actual proof and I didn't have a ruler or anything with me but the 10 foot approximation was clearly a better assumption. Anyone with basic mathematical knowledge would agree it wasn't 3 feet. 

Anyway to possibly fight this? I'm planning on visiting the local DMV lawyer tomorrow, but I heard that their pricing + no help will = me paying even more on the top of the ticket. I'm not sure what I can possibly do but I'm not willing to pay $115 without at least trying to fight this.

If worst really comes to worst, and there's nothing to be done, I guess I'll pay for it and suck it up. 
grin.gif

Pretty sure there's nothing you can do. The best you can hope for is to fight it and get a reduced fine (at the expense of having to waste your time). It's your word versus the theirs and you can guess how that will turn out.

I have beaten a hydrant ticket before though. The truth of the matter was I did park too close to the hydrant. But I explained that I arrived in the neighborhood I was parked in at approximately 5am and there was no parking within 10 blocks of my destination. The neighborhood was a notoriously rough one. So it was either park 2 blocks away and be safe although too close to the hydrant, or park in a proper spot 10 blocks away and risk the chance of being robbed or worse. Guess the judge saw it my way.

Pretty sure there's nothing you can do. The best you can hope for is to fight it and get a reduced fine (at the expense of having to waste your time). It's your word versus the theirs and you can guess how that will turn out.

I have beaten a hydrant ticket before though. The truth of the matter was I did park too close to the hydrant. But I explained that I arrived in the neighborhood I was parked in at approximately 5am and there was no parking within 10 blocks of my destination. The neighborhood was a notoriously rough one. So it was either park 2 blocks away and be safe although too close to the hydrant, or park in a proper spot 10 blocks away and risk the chance of being robbed or worse. Guess the judge saw it my way.

a lawyer would be good for a moving violation not this, either way youll end up having to pay the lawyer more than $115. if you dont have a photo of it. i say just pay the fine. What will happen if u fight it is youll get a court date go to court and u will lose. it will soley be ur word v the officers and the judge will always take the officers word here as all there is to discuss is whether or not u were parked to close to the hydrant. unless the officer doesn't show up for two hearings theres no way to come out of that ticket.

edit - make sure you check for any mistakes on the ticket... i. e. wrong borough, wrong car color, wrong type of car sedan, truck...license plate etc. any 1 mistake the ticket is dismissed.

a lawyer would be good for a moving violation not this, either way youll end up having to pay the lawyer more than $115. if you dont have a photo of it. i say just pay the fine. What will happen if u fight it is youll get a court date go to court and u will lose. it will soley be ur word v the officers and the judge will always take the officers word here as all there is to discuss is whether or not u were parked to close to the hydrant. unless the officer doesn't show up for two hearings theres no way to come out of that ticket.

edit - make sure you check for any mistakes on the ticket... i. e. wrong borough, wrong car color, wrong type of car sedan, truck...license plate etc. any 1 mistake the ticket is dismissed.

Without proof I dont really see how you could win if its your word against theirs.

You could fight it and just pay when you lose but keep in mind there is a chance that they could raise the fine for court fees and $*%#. I dont know how much they reinforce that tough.

For $115 I assume you were somewhere in mid to lower Manhattan.
Id just take the L if I were you.

Without proof I dont really see how you could win if its your word against theirs.

You could fight it and just pay when you lose but keep in mind there is a chance that they could raise the fine for court fees and $*%#. I dont know how much they reinforce that tough.

Originally Posted by Diego

Court fees are added when tickets are fought and you lose...

$115 is the fine for parking to close to the pump in all 5 boroughs.

Originally Posted by Diego

Court fees are added when tickets are fought and you lose...

$115 is the fine for parking to close to the pump in all 5 boroughs.

It was in the city around 13th and Park Avenue. I ran up to an office for a quick 10 minutes, unfortunately it wasn't as quick as I assumed.

I might as well try to fight it and hope the officer doesn't show up or something. All the information on the ticket is correct, tried that already.

I was also thinking maybe I would return to the spot, park there again and show with a measuring tape how many feet away I am from the hydrant and snap some photos. Of course the photos won't have any dates on them, which Is where I feel the judge or whom ever views them will trash them.

Does anyone know how much the court fees will actually cost me on top of the actual ticket if I do decide to fight it?

It was in the city around 13th and Park Avenue. I ran up to an office for a quick 10 minutes, unfortunately it wasn't as quick as I assumed.

I might as well try to fight it and hope the officer doesn't show up or something. All the information on the ticket is correct, tried that already.

I was also thinking maybe I would return to the spot, park there again and show with a measuring tape how many feet away I am from the hydrant and snap some photos. Of course the photos won't have any dates on them, which Is where I feel the judge or whom ever views them will trash them.

Does anyone know how much the court fees will actually cost me on top of the actual ticket if I do decide to fight it?

Originally Posted by kcenaek0rb

Court fees should add ~60-70 i think

Originally Posted by kcenaek0rb

Court fees should add ~60-70 i think

Originally Posted by 1boredzombie

Do what i do when i get a ticket...tell them to %%%+ off because im american and i cant be deported.

lol que ?

then have the ticket go to collections or receiving a penalty for not paying your ticket, suspending your registration + huge penalty... smh

go to court , the maid will show up though
alien.gif

Originally Posted by 1boredzombie

Do what i do when i get a ticket...tell them to %%%+ off because im american and i cant be deported.

lol que ?

then have the ticket go to collections or receiving a penalty for not paying your ticket, suspending your registration + huge penalty... smh

go to court , the maid will show up though
alien.gif

you know you can go online and click on the "i wanna fight the ticket" and they will automatically reduce it right? i think they knock it down to 2/3 of whatever your original fine was..so about $77. Might be better to just pay the 77 to not deal with the headache
Paypal me $5 for helping you save $38.  j/k...but seriously

you know you can go online and click on the "i wanna fight the ticket" and they will automatically reduce it right? i think they knock it down to 2/3 of whatever your original fine was..so about $77. Might be better to just pay the 77 to not deal with the headache
Paypal me $5 for helping you save $38.  j/k...but seriously

how many feet behind the hydrant are you supposed to be?
whenever i can't find parking, i give up and i park like 2 feet behind a hydrant.  
laugh.gif

how many feet behind the hydrant are you supposed to be?
whenever i can't find parking, i give up and i park like 2 feet behind a hydrant.  
laugh.gif

wait until the 29th day and plead not guilty online...in about 3 months after you plead not guilty day you'll most likely be found guilty and have to pay the fine +10 dollars but its a good feeling when you make the state of new york wait for their money

Back
Top Bottom