Facebook started May '11 w/ 155M US users; it ended May with 149M.

facebook is lame imo. nothng but a bunch of attention @%@+%!, and whiners. twitter is where its at.

facebook is lame imo. nothng but a bunch of attention @%@+%!, and whiners. twitter is where its at.

If its not old people spamming timelines with farmville and etc its Jordan heels and etc. Too much spam.
Who wants to share the same site with their Grandma

If its not old people spamming timelines with farmville and etc its Jordan heels and etc. Too much spam.
Who wants to share the same site with their Grandma

Facebook is infested with fake Jordan heels picture tagging
laugh.gif

social networking sites are a big waste of time, but i'm not going to lie facebook is a great way of keeping in touch with family and old friends. I just wish i wasn't on them as much as i am

[h1]I came across this earlier.
[/h1][h1]That Story About How Facebook Lost Users In May Was A Bunch Of Crap[/h1]
A couple of days ago, a story banged around the news-o-sphere saying that the number of Facebook users in the US had shrunk in May.

This set off much hand-wringing about how Facebook was starting to collapse just as everyone was getting excited about the IPO.

Trouble is, the story was bunk.

According to Comscore, Nielsen, and Facebook, the number of US Facebook users grew in May (see below).

The story that Facebook's users dropped in May originated here. The report was based on data that Facebook produces for its advertisers. This data, says a source at Facebook, does not include mobile usage. The source believes that this is one reason why the data understated Facebook's US usage.

(Facebook's mobile usage increases significantly in the summer, the source says, when kids leave school).

(And to be clear: The story that Facebook's usage dropped was based on data that Facebook generated and released. It just wasn't data that Facebook expected to be used by anyone but advertisers.)

From a broader level, ignoring monthly fluctuations, Facebook's growth in mature markets is obviously flattening. And at some point, the number of users will stop growing. At that point, the company's growth will have to come from increased engagement: Existing users using the service more intensely.  And it would obviously be a bad sign if the number of users or usage in the company's mature markets started to shrink--if, say, people were getting bored of Facebook and unplugging from it.

Facebook could help avoid the sort of misinformation and confusion of the May numbers by releasing some usage stats each month or quarter, so observers can track the company's progress for themselves. These stories might include the number of active users in each major region, the average time spent on the site per user, number of advertising clients, revenue, and so forth.

Facebook will be public eventually, or at least will have to release data like this eventually, so it might as well start now.

facebook-traffic-may-2011.png

http://www.businessinsider.com/facebook-users-2011-6

I think Sir Charles is saying something about SNL.

As long as FB is out of my life, its numbers don't matter to me, people lie about numbers all of the time. Thanks for the update though OP and romedadude.

Back
Top Bottom