F1 Official Thread - Grand Prix of Britain

Cecotto was ultimately punished for it... the guy's a dumb$%&#.  The stuff he has pulled in the past... 
mean.gif

DAMN! It happens in video games, I know... but IN REAL LIFE!?! ARE YOU ******G KIDDING ME?! :wow: Dude was 4th in the final corner and came up with the win. Great line through the final corner. Guy on the inside line lost it at the final corner (he had to lift early). Wow, what an upset! :pimp:

Anyway, I didn't get to catch qualifying. Looks like we have a processional race on our hands. Por Felipe. Just hope he gets a positive result out of this. Being at the back for the race is much more difficult in this circuit.

Infographic:

Last edited:
^ And to think they're able to fit those things in that small an area, too! The pit lane is so small already!

Well, albeit a little processional, that was definitely an incident-filled Grand Prix. Two safety car periods and a red flag.

Superb race from Britney. Well-deserved. Driver of the weekend for sure. No one really challenged him. :pimp:

Perez :stoneface: Driving like Grosjean of old out there. Took out Kimi, too. :smh:

Sutil, though. :smokin Good to see him driving well.

Not the best of races from Fernando; got held up behind Kimi for most of the race. Sigh. Oh well.

Something is definitely up with Felipe's car all weekend. Hope he's fine.

I wonder how the Pirelli-Mercedes test will have any implications for Mercedes in the following races. :nerd:

Yeah, wondering how that secret test will pan out.  Very odd cuz MB had to have gained an advantage from it. 

Moments of brilliance by Checo there, balanced out by moments of over-ambitiousness. 

Great moves on JB and Fernando, but the one on Kimi was never gonna work. As Martin said, Kimi should have left him a bit more room, but that gap was always closing.  

Fantastic race by Nico, but how unlucky/lucky was Lewis/RBR?  I dunno why they didn't box both MB's as soon as the SC came out. 

Felipe's crash... that had to have been a mech failure... both were identical!

Last edited:
^ They did box the Mercedes cars when the Safety Car was deployed; Seb just happened to be in the pits for his stop just as the SC went out. He got picked up first. Then Mercedes tried back-to-back stops -worked with Nico, but both Red Bulls barely got ahead of Lewis.

I agree, Checo's moves on JB and Fernando were fair. Adrian Sutil owned Loewes, though. :lol: Threaded the needle every time he passed there. :pimp:

One thing that annoyed me during the race repetitively was Fernando taking a much wider entry at that hairpin. He got jumped twice (and collided with JB if I remember correctly) there because of that. Losing places at Rascasse was unfortunate, since Sutil made him run wide at the exit. Not on form this weekend, for sure. :\

Yeah, had to be a mechanical failure. Got a little concerned with Felipe being asked to wear a neck brace after the incident. You never want to see a driver get hurt. Good thing Pastor walked away from that shunt as well.

I wonder if either Grosjean missed his braking point, or Ricciardo braked a bit early? Or if Grosjean's brakes were fading. :nerd:

Safety Car definitely helped the cars up front. Red Bull thriving during Saftey Car periods, just like last year. :x

Curious to see the forthcoming tyre changes. Hopefully it doesn't favor Red Bull... those whiners. :stoneface:

Why'd they have to use this year's car, though? :nerd: :rolleyes

FIA calls hearing into Mercedes' tyre test after Red Bull and Ferrari lodge protests
All three teams and Pirelli summoned to stewards office after Monaco GP

By William Esler. Last Updated: May 26, 2013 5:10pm

The FIA Stewards have convened a hearing into Mercedes' post-Spanish GP tyre test after Red Bull and Ferrari both lodged complaints.

That the test had actually taken place only emerged at the Monaco Grand Prix, with the protests made ahead of the race which was won by Mercedes' Nico Rosberg.

The Silver Arrows completed 1000km at the Circuit de Catalunya over three days in the week after the race in Barcelona and their rivals are unhappy that Mercedes might have gained an unfair advantage.

In-season testing is banned in Formula 1, but both Mercedes and Pirelli believe the running was permitted within the regulations. Red Bull, Ferrari, Mercedes and Pirelli were all been summoned to see the stewards after race.

The official notice from the FIA read: "Protests have been lodged by Infiniti Red Bull Racing and Scuderia Ferrari concerning an alleged breach of Article 22.4 h) of the FIA Formula 1 Sporting Regulations.

"Both teams alleged the Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team have conducted three days of track testing using a 2013 car on the 15th, 16th, 17th of May in Barcelona, i.e. between the period that the precedes the start of the first Event of the championship and 31 December of the same year."

The crux of the matter appears to be the use of Mercedes' W04 car in the test.

Speaking to Sky Sports F1's Ted Kravitz after seeing the stewards, Mercedes Team Principal Ross Brawn explained that the test came at Pirelli's request.

The Italian manufacturer is introducing modified tyres in Canada on safety grounds after the delaminations which occurred in Bahrain and Spain. Furthermore, they are also working on next year's specification.

"We obviously explained to them the circumstances behind what happened; I'm reasonably comfortable with what we did," Brawn said.

"We did it at the request of Pirelli. There was a serious issue with the tyres which we've all experienced and that needed fixing as soon as possible.

"We've explained to the stewards what was done and it's now up to them. We're comfortable with the position we're in.

"One point I want to allay is this concept of a 'secret' test. There's never a secret in Formula 1. The test was starting when lots of teams were still in Barcelona packing up, so if we'd wanted a secret test we'd have gone off somewhere where no-one could find us.

"It's a bit of innuendo that's unfortunate.

"We don't know what we were testing. When they present the test programme, all the tyres are anonymous."

Brawn also said that Red Bull and Ferrari had opportunities to do additional testing.

"I know why they feel aggrieved by it but it was a Pirelli tyre test, it wasn't a Mercedes test. That's an important thing to understand," he added.

"There's a provision in the contract between Pirelli and the FIA to allow every team to do 1,000km of testing at Pirelli's request.

"Pirelli have requested that in the past and nobody has supported them. So if those teams are aggrieved then perhaps they should look at that aspect."

Guess that's why he lost those places to Red Bull.

Lewis Hamilton takes the blame for podium-costing pit-stop blunder in Monaco GP
2008 World Champ finishes fourth behind Vettel and Webber

By Pete Gill. Last Updated: May 26, 2013 4:51pm

Lewis Hamilton has blamed himself for losing two positions during the first Safety Car period during Sunday's Monaco GP.

The Mercedes driver had been running in a comfortable second place before a high-speed crash for Felipe Massa produced the first of two Safety Car deployments. However, Hamilton lost track position to both Red Bull cars by backing off too far behind race leader Nico Rosberg as Mercedes prepared to pit both of their cars in succession.

Critically, Hamilton slowed off to such an extent that he was still entering the pitlane as Rosberg pulled away instead of being 'stacked up' just outside of the Mercedes garage. The error, despite being only a matter of a couple of seconds, was sufficient for both Red Bull cars to overtake the dawdling 2008 World Champion - with Hamilton subsequently accepting he alone was to blame for the costly error.

"It wasn't the team's fault, it was my own fault," he told Sky Sports F1. "I was told to have a six-second gap and I had more than six seconds and I lost out massively.

"That's motor racing. I just wasn't good enough this weekend."

Hamilton has struck a curiously disenchanted figure throughout the weekend and revealed to reporters on Saturday night in the wake of his third successive defeat to team-mate Rosberg in qualifying that he is still yet to fully master his W04 car.

"To be honest it's been since the first race - actually even in winter testing I was struggling," said Hamilton.

"Even in the first few races, but particularly the last three have been pretty poor, but this weekend was one of the toughest for me so far."

:smokin

Massa leaves hospital following crash

26 May 2013

Felipe Massa has been released from hospital after his heavy accident during this afternoon's Monaco Grand Prix, with the Brazilian suffering no serious injuries.

The Ferrari driver hit the barriers on the approach to Sainte Devote on Lap 29 of the race, an incident near-identical to the one he suffered in third practice on Saturday.

Although he is suffering from some neck discomfort, with doctors immediately fitting a brace at the side of the circuit, Massa has been cleared to fly home.

Last edited:
Ah, ok... that makes sense with Lewis' stop.  I thought he stayed out longer than what was needed, but it came down to him.  Too bad, really.

Lots of celebs today, but I have no idea who this is...

F1+Grand+Prix+of+Monaco+hpZtaQEneI5x.jpg

AVB in the house!

F1+Grand+Prix+of+Monaco+np1H1HwW8qLx.jpg

F1+Grand+Prix+of+Monaco+cOxnBcBWbfox.jpg

F1+Grand+Prix+of+Monaco+jFcyMfSH0T_x.jpg

F1+Grand+Prix+of+Monaco+GTxCYbpbVn0x.jpg

F1+Grand+Prix+of+Monaco+KEucRPpzQHKx.jpg

F1+Grand+Prix+of+Monaco+05JQtmKPxBXx.jpg

nerd.gif

Hayley+Roberts+Chris+Evans+Stops+Red+Bull+F9drnntAV_4x.jpg

F1+Grand+Prix+of+Monaco+s7wdJ0hLa2gx.jpg

laugh.gif

Last edited:
Official...

"At the beginning of May, the FIA was asked by Pirelli if it was possible for it to carry out some tyre development testing with a team, using a current car. Within the contract Pirelli has with the FIA as single supplier, there is provision for them to carry out up to 1000km of testing with any team – provided every team is offered the opportunity to do so.

"Pirelli and Mercedes-AMG were advised by the FIA that such a development test could be possible if carried out by Pirelli, as opposed to the team that would provide the car and driver, and such tests would be conditional on every team being given the same opportunity to test in order to ensure full sporting equity.

"Following this communication, the FIA received no further information about a possible test from Pirelli or Mercedes-AMG. Furthermore, the FIA recieved no confirmation that all teams had been given an opportunity to take part in this test.

"In addition, with regard to the application of the sports rules, including principles of sporting equity, it should be remembered that the international sporting code provides that on the basis of a report by the stewards of a meeting, or on its own initiative, the prosecuting body of the FIA may bring a matter before the International Tribunal.

"The Tribunal may decide to inflict penalties that would supersede any penalty the stewards of the meeting may have issued. Such procedure would be followed in pursuance of the FIA Judicial and Disciplinary rules."

Was that Russel Brand? :nerd: :lol:

Cameron Diaz wearing the Tag Heuer Monaco. :smokin

Considering this is one of the more glitzier races on the calendar, it's pretty unusual to see VIPs and celebs dressed down like that. :lol: Must've been a real warm day. Not a cloud in sight during the race.

Official...

"At the beginning of May, the FIA was asked by Pirelli if it was possible for it to carry out some tyre development testing with a team, using a current car. Within the contract Pirelli has with the FIA as single supplier, there is provision for them to carry out up to 1000km of testing with any team – provided every team is offered the opportunity to do so.

"Pirelli and Mercedes-AMG were advised by the FIA that such a development test could be possible if carried out by Pirelli, as opposed to the team that would provide the car and driver, and such tests would be conditional on every team being given the same opportunity to test in order to ensure full sporting equity.

"Following this communication, the FIA received no further information about a possible test from Pirelli or Mercedes-AMG. Furthermore, the FIA recieved no confirmation that all teams had been given an opportunity to take part in this test.

"In addition, with regard to the application of the sports rules, including principles of sporting equity, it should be remembered that the international sporting code provides that on the basis of a report by the stewards of a meeting, or on its own initiative, the prosecuting body of the FIA may bring a matter before the International Tribunal.

"The Tribunal may decide to inflict penalties that would supersede any penalty the stewards of the meeting may have issued. Such procedure would be followed in pursuance of the FIA Judicial and Disciplinary rules."

Wait, so nothing has happened... yet? :nerd:

Yikes.

Perez and Raikkonen blame each other for collision
26 May 2013

McLaren’s Sergio Perez and Lotus’s Kimi Raikkonen have blamed each other for the clash that ruined both of their races in Monaco on Sunday.

Perez sustained damage to his MP4-28’s brake ducts and Raikkonen’s E21 picked up a puncture after the duo collided at the Nouvelle chicane on lap 69 whilst disputing fifth position. After a pit stop Raikkonen recovered to finish tenth, but Perez had to park his car after his brakes overheated.

“I’d had a great race - I’d been overtaking cars through the afternoon - but in my opinion Kimi didn’t leave me enough room when I tried to pass him as we exited the tunnel, and as a result I got squeezed into the wall on the entry to the Harbour Chicane,” said the Mexican.

“That was a real shame - I’d overtaken both Jenson [Button] and Fernando [Alonso] there, and Jenson had overtaken me there too, but I couldn’t have avoided the crash with Kimi. Of course, any passing manoeuvre at Monaco is risky, but, at the end of the day, you have to leave each other a little room.”

Raikkonen, for his part, strongly refuted Perez’s viewpoint: “He hit me from behind and that’s about all there is to it," said the Finn. "If he thinks it’s my fault that he came into the corner too fast then he obviously has no idea what he’s talking about.

“It’s not the first time he’s hit someone in the race; he seems to expect people to be always looking at what he might do, then move over or go straight on if he comes into the corner too quick and isn’t going to make it without running into someone.

“Because of one stupid move from Sergio we’ve lost a lot of points to Sebastian [Vettel] in the championship and you can’t afford to lose ground like that.”

Raikkonen remains second in the driver standings, but is now 21 points behind Red Bull’s Vettel.

^ That was pretty LOL... I don't blame Kimi though.  It was messy by Checo.

But damn, that Pirelli-Merc ordeal will be messy.  You can't penalize Pirelli, can you?  While Merc will feel they did everything by the book.  There was no point in being secretive about it. It was just bad communication/transparency I guess.  And with Pirelli reconsidering their F1-contract, this will not help.  Can't race if there are no tires.  This will not end well.

^Yes, no point of being secretive about it. What a mess.

Now some teams are indicating they weren't made aware of the testing opportunity... :nerd: So much for transparency and equality.

Ah, F1 and politics. Got to love it. :stoneface:

Ferrari confirm that suspension failure was to blame for Felipe Massa's Monaco GP crash
Brazilian hit the same crash barriers twice in two days

Last Updated: May 28, 2013 11:44am

Ferrari have confirmed that suspension failure was the cause of Felipe Massa's accident during the Monaco Grand Prix.

The Brazilian didn't have the best of weekends on the streets of Monte Carlo, as he was involved in two near-identical shunts. The first occurred during final practice on Saturday morning, when his car's tyres locked and he crashed into the barriers at approximately 170mph.

Remote RecordGet a Sky Sports Day PassUpgrade to Sky Sports
Unable to take part in qualifying as a result, Massa was forced to start the race from the back of the grid. However, he only made to lap 29 before hitting the barriers at Ste Devote once again.

The incident brought out the safety car and the 32-year-old was taken to hospital for a check-up, but was soon given the all-clear.

After Ferrari's engineers had a closer inspection of the wrecked F138, they have now confirmed that part of the left-front suspension broke .

'The findings validated the first impressions of the engineers, confirming that the accident was caused by an element of the front left suspension breaking,' the Scuderia said on their website.

'With all the required inspections completed to analyse what happened at the Monegasque circuit, the Car Assembly department can now start work in preparing the car for the Canadian Grand Prix.'

Schumacher S looks surprisingly flat. Short-shifting an F1 car just sounds flat-out awful. :x

Kamui apparently just tested for Ferrari :nerd:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom