F1 Official Thread - Grand Prix of Britain

We'll I wouldn't say the refueling rig's standard equipment.  The ones they have now refuel at a lot slower-rate.  The racing ones are at a much higher-pressure, I think, and as such will be more dangerous during racing-conditions... 

Good vid... pretty standard dialogue from Checo, but that's how these things are, I guess.  Time to update the P1 thread! 

I also had heard it was for safety purposes, but if there weren't 20 guys swarming the car it wouldn't be that dangerous. They do it in Indycar and haven't had an incident in years. I just want to see the strategy of the pit stop return. Now its about how can you baby the tires instead of pure pace. Make the tires hard as rocks, it'll make the car tougher to drive.

The sites I usually browse are Scarbs F1 and F1 technical. James Allen's and Martin Brundle's commentary is appreciated, as well.

Docta ~ Yeah, Scarbs F1 and F1 Tech are fantastic for the technical stuff, but if you're just getting into it, then maybe it might be a bit too technical for you... it also depends on your general understanding of mechanics/aerodynamics of course. 

For general F1 news, http://www.gpupdate.net/en/http://www.autosport.com/f1/ is pretty good.

And for the general-basics of F1... http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/understanding_the_sport/http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/glossary.html could be helpful.

Last edited:
Docta ~ Yeah, Scarbs F1 and F1 Tech are fantastic for the technical stuff, but if you're just getting into it, then maybe it might be a bit too technical for you... it also depends on your general understanding of mechanics/aerodynamics of course. 

For general F1 news, http://www.gpupdate.net/en/http://www.autosport.com/f1/ is pretty good.

And for the general-basics of F1... http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/understanding_the_sport/http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/glossary.html could be helpful.

Oh yeah, those too. :lol:

Mick Doohan > Casey Stoner. :lol:

This video is reminiscent of the Top Gear one where Jezza, McRae, and Johnny Herbert. :smokin

Another one with Michael Schumacher, Eddie irvine, and Nichola Larini. That V10! :x

A McLaren version

Last edited:
^ Damn you, I was just gonna post that! LOL

Brundle got it right... just didn't result in a McLaren win. :lol: :tongue: :nerd:

McLaren Electronic Systems apologise for software issue
19 Mar 2013

McLaren Electronic Systems, the manufacturers of Formula One’s standard Engine Control Unit (ECU), have apologised to Mark Webber and Red Bull for a software-related issue that affected the Australian racer on the formation lap in Melbourne.

The new standard ECU, which features on all Formula One cars, was introduced by McLaren Electronic Systems in winter testing and will power the 2.4-litre V8 engines this season and the new 1.6-litre V6 turbo engines that are set to be introduced in 2014.

McLaren Electronic Systems say that whilst all the ECU’s ran without incident in Australia, Webber's garage data system had to be re-started during the formation lap and, as a result, his preparations for the start of the race were disrupted.

Webber made a poor getaway from the grid in Australia, dropping from second to seventh on the first lap.

^wait so McLaren manufactures the ECUs for everybody? :rofl: WTF?

:rofl: @ Schumi just casually reading a newspaper, his helmet livery is one of the best looking IMO

Man....I was young and didn't get to watch that V10, shark-nose era. But I can only imagine :x :pimp:

@thadocta watch these vids that were posted to learn more about the sport, that's what I did on my own

Last edited:
Yup, and a few othet ECUs for different race series, apparently. They also make the Shift Light Indicator Display units for all the teams.

I guess you didn't get to see the Williams that had a nose that looked like Patrick Head :lol:

Yeah, McLaren Electronics have been doing so for years... and while it might seem strange on a competitive level, as far as I know, they've done a good and fair job. It's separate from McLaren Racing (F1) and they don't only do ECU's for F1, but also for Indycar, Nascar, Le Mans, WRC, etc... as well as for non-motorsport fields like airplane, trains, etc.  

From what I've read, this new ECU for the '14 engines, which they are testing now, is still a bit buggy... 

All that info :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

There's ALWAYS an 85% chance of rain at the Malaysian GP :x

I was watching the race from 2004 a while ago(if I remember correctly) and only like 12 cars out of the whole field finished. :x

:\

http://adamcooperf1.com/2013/03/16/...e-mclaren-unrealistically-fast-in-jerez-test/

How a factory mistake made McLaren unrealistically fast in Jerez test
McLaren’s impressive pace on the first day of testing in Jerez in February was generated by a mistake when the car was being put together in the factory, Martin Whitmarsh has confirmed to this blog.

A suspension component was fitted incorrectly to the new car – apparently it was simply the wrong way round – and the unexpectedly low ride height that resulted happened to work well at the Spanish track. Button set the pace that day, suggesting that the MP4-28 could be the car to beat.

However once the mistake was discovered that night, it was rectified, as the car could not be run in that state long term at other venue, especially with heavy fuel loads.

Since then the team has struggled to get close to that initial performance, leading rivals and other observers to wonder just why the McLaren had been so impressive out of the box.

On Friday in Australia Jenson Button pinpointed the issue by saying: “We had a set-up we didn’t think we had. It wasn’t one we could work with.”

A little investigation has revealed that it wasn’t simply a question of a miscalculation of settings, but a part being fitted wrongly.

“It was a part fitted incorrectly which caused us to run the car unrealistically low, that happened to play to the strengths of the car,” Whitmarsh confirmed when asked by this blog. “It wouldn’t work on a bumpy circuit like this. That’s why the car at the moment is too peaky in its performance, and that’s something we’ve got to resolve. It was a set-up which on many tracks was not realistic.”

Whitmarsh also noted that McLaren’s extreme problems on Friday in Australia were related to trying to run the in a low configuration once again.

EDIT: Wait... Martin Whitmarsh has a blog? :nerd: Never mind. :lol:

Last edited:
^Yeah, I read about that. I think "this blog" meant Adam Cooper's blog? At least JB looked very decent in the wettish conditions.

Kimi solidifying Lotus' performance.

F1+Grand+Prix+Malaysia+Practice+cz-uEMLmgefx.jpg

F1+Grand+Prix+Malaysia+Practice+2dcoQefP2xJx.jpg

F1+Grand+Prix+Malaysia+Practice+OkERvzRxtF6x.jpg

F1+Grand+Prix+Malaysia+Practice+TVK5la87uFnx.jpg

F1+Grand+Prix+Malaysia+Practice+GpipYbYlAjJx.jpg

Last edited:
^ Oh, you're right. Misread that part. :lol: :wow:

Those P-Zero Supersofts definitely look awesome. :smokin

Heard Vettel and Red Bull are having tyre problems this weekend -might do more stops than planned? :nerd: Hope so.

VETTEL HOPES HE HAS 'ENOUGH TYRES TO SURVIVE THE RACE'
[emoji]169[/emoji] F1 Pulse, 22 March 2013

[emoji]169[/emoji] Paul Gilham/Getty Images/Red Bull Racing
Red Bull has shown little of the confidence that would be expected from a team that has won the last three constructors' championships.

Much of its concerns revolve around the new Pirelli tyres which are degrading quicker than last season. The problem has plagued Red Bull more than other teams, and it blamed the tyres for Sebastian Vettel's third in Australia.

After practice for the Malaysian Grand Prix, the triple champion said that the durability of the tyres were a “quite a mess”.

"It doesn't look very nice I would say. I hope we have enough tyres to survive the race,” he was quoted saying by Autosport. "It is not a lot of fun and that is how it is."

The severity of the wear affected teammate Mark Webber as well.

"The whole category is geared around tyres at the moment," the Australian said. "Everything is around tyres. Tyres, tyres, tyre, tyres, tyres..."

Webber quipped that the damp conditions during the second practice session on Friday "the only conditions (the slicks) work in"

It had hoped the warmer conditions would help solve the problem but tyres shredded quicker than expected during practice. As a result, Red Bull would likely have to fall back on a three or even four-stop strategy while other teams like Lotus may be able to get by with two stops as they did in Australia.

"We're trying to understand what is going on and what is the sweet spot for these tyres," team principal Christian Horner said.

"I don't think anybody up and down this pit lane fully understands these tyres to be honest. There are so many anomalies that a key aspect to this season will be getting on top of those tyre issues and understanding them."

-----

Last edited:
F1+Grand+Prix+Malaysia+Qualifying+sLsudjlu0wSx.jpg

F1+Grand+Prix+Malaysia+Qualifying+Ec-Cr5eIndux.jpg

F1+Grand+Prix+Malaysia+Qualifying+mv67Hwy0la5x.jpg

F1+Grand+Prix+Malaysia+Qualifying+qPaoQgJDrEex.jpg

F1+Grand+Prix+Malaysia+Qualifying+fUGJtTt8F_Ix.jpg

Code:
Pos  Driver                Team                 Time          Gap    1.  Sebastian Vettel      Red Bull-Renault     1m49.674s            2.  Felipe Massa          Ferrari              1m50.587s  + 0.913s  3.  Fernando Alonso       Ferrari              1m50.727s  + 1.053s  4.  Lewis Hamilton        Mercedes             1m51.699s  + 2.025s  5.  Mark Webber           Red Bull-Renault     1m52.244s  + 2.570s  6.  Nico Rosberg          Mercedes             1m52.519s  + 2.845s  7.  Kimi Raikkonen        Lotus-Renault        1m52.970s  + 3.296s  8.  Jenson Button         McLaren-Mercedes     1m53.175s  + 3.501s  9.  Adrian Sutil          Force India-Mercedes 1m53.439s  + 3.765s 10.  Sergio Perez          McLaren-Mercedes     1m54.136s  + 4.462s Q2 cut-off time: 1m37.342s                                   Gap **11.  Romain Grosjean       Lotus-Renault        1m37.636s  + 1.446s12.  Nico Hulkenberg       Sauber-Ferrari       1m38.125s  + 1.935s13.  Daniel Ricciardo      Toro Rosso-Ferrari   1m38.822s  + 2.632s14.  Esteban Gutierrez     Sauber-Ferrari       1m39.221s  + 3.031s15.  Paul di Resta         Force India-Mercedes 1m44.509s  + 8.319s16.  Pastor Maldonado      Williams-Renault     no timeQ1 cut-off time: 1m37.931s                                   Gap *17.  Jean-Eric Vergne      Toro Rosso-Ferrari   1m38.157s  + 1.348s18.  Valtteri Bottas       Williams-Renault     1m38.207s  + 1.398s19.  Jules Bianchi         Marussia-Cosworth    1m38.434s  + 1.625s20.  Charles Pic           Caterham-Renault     1m39.314s  + 2.505s21.  Max Chilton           Marussia-Cosworth    1m39.672s  + 2.863s22.  Giedo van der Garde   Caterham-Renault     1m39.932s  + 3.123s107% time: 1m43.585s

Back
Top Bottom