F1 Official Thread - Grand Prix of Britain

"There's a smoking Alfpha... Alfa Romeo..."
This will take some getting used to. Screw that, I'm call them Toro Rosso.

1582108428663.png

Pink Mercedes.

Took a while for people to copy Mercedes. It's usually Red Bull and to a lesser extent Ferrari that people look to copy.

Basically a midfield powerhouse now... FFS.

Also... no red flags on day 1. I can't remember the last time that happened.

1582189148166.png

Racing Point Technical Director Andrew Green says the RP20 is quite revolutionary, and has addressed key weaknesses from the 2019 car.

Racing Point’s new RP20 is far more ‘revolutionary’ than many of the other cars on the F1 grid, with most teams opting for evolutions of their 2019 car.

That’s according to the team’s Technical Director Andrew Green, who says the team started with a completely blank sheet of paper for their new car this year: “The RP20 is entirely new, meaning that there’s very little carryover from our 2019 car. For 2020, we designed the car from scratch, starting from almost a blank sheet of paper – which is very exciting, because the team hasn’t been in a position to do this in a very long time.”

“We’ve applied everything that we’ve learnt over the past seasons, combined this with what we’ve seen adopted by some of our competitors, and we’ve given it our best shot at optimising the final season of these present regulations.”

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Basically a midfield powerhouse now... FFS.

Also... no red flags on day 1. I can't remember the last time that happened.

Don't worry, Grosjean is in the car today.

As for Racing Point, I still think Mclaren will be faster than them or at least out develop them this season.

Andrew Green just admitted to Ted that the design was all drawn by their designers... based on pics of the Merc. :lol:

wtf Mercedes. Other teams are getting nervous :lol:
Notice the "Marker" notification on the display. Genius to come up with this a year before the regulation change.

Welp :lol:

Season hasn't started and I'm expecting protests already.
Genius from Mercedes and something that would be hard to ban since it effectively is the steering wheel turning the wheels.

I need to read more on the benefits but wow. Genius!!
I believe they were also testing rear wheel steering at one point.

Andrew Green just admitted to Ted that the design was all drawn by their designers... based on pics of the Merc. :lol:

To be fair he said they started on a blank sheet of paper which tracing paper is :lol:

Welp :lol:

Season hasn't started and I'm expecting protests already.
Genius from Mercedes and something that would be hard to ban since it effectively is the steering wheel turning the wheels.

I need to read more on the benefits but wow. Genius!!

Technical boss Allison has no doubts about the legality of the new steering system:
"We've been in communication with the FIA about this for some time. We know what's legal and what's not."

I don't doubt that it's legal. But, as we've seen before, the FIA will find some excuse to ban it. The F-duct... the Double-Diffuser... etc.

Good Explanation as always from Marc

F1 drivers will officially be Pilots now with this Dual Axis Steering or 3D steering that I've seen some people call it.
Gives the driver more to do and more to master so I'm all for it.

I won't be surprised if its banned for next season but I think they will let it rock for this season like the Double Deck Diffuser.
No safety ground reason to ban it like the F-duct.

Don't worry, Grosjean is in the car today.
:lol:

Grosjean never disappoints.

Last edited:
As expected. Illegal in 2021.

I thought F1 loved innovation? I wonder how many millions they put in the DAS? Maybe budget costs in 2021?

Yea Mercedes has been talking to the FIA about this for a while to guarantee it's legality but that probably just gave them the ammo to ban it for next season.
Still genius from Mercedes to showcase it now because it means diversion of resources for other teams to implement theirs while still preparing for 2021.

I still want to see if this makes any difference. People are saying the gains will be minimal but who's not to say Mercedes develop this system even more along the year.

Still a shame its banned for next year. It would've added another layer of skill required and complexity. I don't think it would cost too much either.
It's only an issue now for teams to redesign their chassis but if they designed the car with it from the start then it probably won't be much of an issue IMO but I don't have all the facts.

Back
Top Bottom