Ebola

^ Clinical trials and research may take up to several years. It is what it is, plus the CDC holds the patent for the Ebola virus as well and we have a shortage of researchers. The R0 for ebola varies between 1.5-2.0 so it's not considered highly contagious compared to say measles but it is very lethal. What I see happening over the next several decades is that the lethal strain will die out, and another strain that does not kill the host emerge and become prevalent sort of what happened to the Spanish Flu.

Pharmaceutical companies shouldn't concern themselves with a virus that, before this outbreak, had killed less than 1,500 people in nearly 40 years. They need to focus on things like cancer, influenza, etc. Things that affect millions of people every year, both in the U.S. and around the world.

There are just bigger fish to fry.
I disagree, and so would most pharma/biotech companies.  Rare diseases usually have zero treatment options, so meeting an unmet medical need is also very important.  Companies that specialize in rare disease treatments have been getting bought up for a few years, and are still getting bought up, by the major players.  Rare disease companies are the hot companies to buy right now in pharma industry.  The incentives for companies to have rare disease treatments in their portfolio are many.  Usually there are no other treatments for a rare disease so you can have a treatment monopoly, longer exclusivity before the generics show up, and other government incentives for research in the rare disease space.  Finding cures/treatments for the more common diseases is also very important, but the rare diseases can be killers too and i think those people suffering deserve options just as much as the people suffering from the more common diseases.

Getting a drug to market is a very long process, but most of the treatments for ebola that are in development out there will be granted expanded access (i know zmapp has, not sure about the others).  This will get the investigational products to the sick patients, and then efficacy, dosage, etc, can all be ironed out hopefully, and something good will come from these products.

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scrip...RPart=312&showFR=1&subpartNode=21:5.0.1.1.3.9

Last edited:
^ I'm travelling out of the country on 04Nov, wish i could have gotten a couple of those bad boys in time... 
roll.gif

Emory University Hospital Sept. 9 has left the hospital virus-free, Emory said in a press release.
The patient, the third with Ebola virus disease to be taken to Emory, on Sunday became the third to be released. Emory said the man asked to remain anonymous and "will make a statement at a later date." CNN has noted that the man arrived at Emory at about the same time as a World Health Organization doctor was evacuated from Sierra Leone.

The hospital did not disclose where the patient went.
His departure leaves Emory's Serious Communicable Disease Unit at Emory with one Ebola patient -- a nurse from Dallas who was flown to Atlanta last week from Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital. The nurse, Amber Vinson, was one of two health care workers at the Dallas hospital who were infected with Ebola after treating the so-called "index patient" Thomas Eric Duncan.

Emory is one of four U.S. hospitals with specially equipped isolation units; so far, only three have taken in Ebola patients: Emory, a hospital in Nebraska, and a National Institutes of Health center in Maryland.
News that the CDC cleared Vinson to fly from Cleveland to Dallas while running a low-grade fever drew protests from around the nation. In a statement Sunday, Vinson's family defended the nurse, who is 29.

"Suggestions that she ignored any of the physician and government-provided protocols recommended to her are patently untrue and hurtful," the family added. "(We) remain intensely prayerful and optimistic about Amber’s condition and of the treatment she is currently receiving."

I know this Ebola thing is simmering down or something new happened depending how fast this topic is moving. :lol:

Exactly :lol:

Everything is a conspiracy.

The government loves people like you. Focused on chasing made up stories instead of focusing on what's really going on. Same reason the ufo hysteria was promoted by the government to cover up test flights of new tech.

The government loves people like you. Focused on chasing made up stories instead of focusing on what's really going on. Same reason the ufo hysteria was promoted by the government to cover up test flights of new tech.

Who said i believe that link i posted?

how is ebola, a virus, cured? so the nurse who caughy the virus is now virus free? or did her antibodies developed it to where she could control it?
guessing ebola is assympotoic?

how is ebola, a virus, cured? so the nurse who caughy the virus is now virus free? or did her antibodies developed it to where she could control it?
not sure, but fact i do know that i read is that once you no longer have Ebola...you are immune to it for 10yrs.

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/qas.html
[h2]Are patients who recover from Ebola immune for life? Can they get it again - the same or a different strain?[/h2]
Recovery from Ebola depends on good supportive clinical care and a patient’s immune response. Available evidence shows that people who recover from Ebola infection develop antibodies that last for at least 10 years, possibly longer.

not sure, but fact i do know that i read is that once you no longer have Ebola...you are immune to it for 10yrs.

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/qas.html

[h2]Are patients who recover from Ebola immune for life? Can they get it again - the same or a different strain?[/h2]

Recovery from Ebola depends on good supportive clinical care and a patient’s immune response. Available evidence shows that people who recover from Ebola infection develop antibodies that last for at least 10 years, possibly longer.

Kinda makes sense now, like the flu and many viruses. Some just flare up, when our immunes are weak. Just weird tho, if that nurse‘s immunity hits its shelf life and she gets contagious from a flare up or out break.

My understanding is that ebola isn't necessarily 'cured'; treatment (fluids, investigative meds, etc), coupled with your immune system fighting the virus is how ebola is defeated. Ebola doesn't have a 100% mortality rate, so not everyone that gets it will die. The mortality rate may be high because the heavily affected areas just don't have the same level of health care infrastructure as the us.  

Ebola can be asymptomatic for up to 21 days, but cannot be spread until the person is symptomatic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom