Ebola

Last edited:
that nurse was in full hazmat suit, now 70 plus being monitored

We've covered this already: hazmat suits aren't really all that effective unless you do a full chem shower afterwards. Aside from the cost of the suits, that's the main reason they don't use them in the field. The virus can latch on to the suit, just as it can to a pair of gloves. It's pointless without that shower. The suits are so cumbersome that it's easy to touch it in just the wrong place, or transfer it to another surface. You might as well just wear gloves and a mask because those are easier to handle.

Edit: I guess she actually wasn't wearing a hazmat suit: http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/13/health/ebola-nurse-how-could-this-happen/index.html

The nurse wore a mask, gown, shield and gloves as she helped care for a dying Ebola patient in Texas.

Also, this:

On Monday morning, an official with direct knowledge of the Texas nurse's case told CNN that CDC disease detectives interviewed the nurse several times and thought there were "inconsistencies" in the type of personal protective gear she wore and with the process used to put the gear on and remove it.

Frieden has spoken of possible ways she became infected. It could have happened when the nurse removed her protective gear -- a bit of infected bodily fluid somehow touching her -- or it she could have come into contact with infected fluid as Duncan received kidney dialysis or respiratory intubation.

Those procedures were "a desperate measure to try to save his life," Frieden said. "Both of those procedures may spread contaminated materials and are considered high-risk procedures."

He said, "When you have potentially soiled or contaminated gloves or masks or other things, to remove those without any risk of any contaminated material ... touching you and being then on your clothes or face or skin ... is not easy to do right."

Or the problem could have been something else entirely.

Taking extra precautions outside recommended CDC protocols can actually increase the odds of infection, Frieden has said. Caregivers are supposed to double their gloves in some situations, but triple gloving is a violation of CDC protocol because it increases the steps to remove gear and could expose a health care worker for longer than needed.

It's not as simple as saying she was wearing a hazmat suit (which she wasn't) and was magically infected.

Last edited:
forgot it's mainly spread though bodily fluids so obviously nurses are at high risk

hospitals need to really get their **** together and fast......can't see it spreading crazy but just in case 

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/15/world/africa/ebola-epidemic-who-west-africa.html?_r=1

UNITED NATIONS — Schools have shut down, elections have been postponed, mining and logging companies have withdrawn, farmers have abandoned their fields. The Ebola  virus ravaging West Africa has renewed the risk of political instability in a region barely recovering from civil war, United Nations officials said Tuesday, hours after the World Health Organization  reported that new cases could reach 10,000 a week by December — 10 times the current rate.

He went on to say that there is a small window of time before the outbreak expands to levels where it cannot be controlled. “We either stop Ebola now,” he said, “or we face an entirely unprecedented situation for which we do not have a plan.”

I'm sure it was mentioned before but the Brooklyn case where the kid has " ebola like symptoms " :x

Good enough for me to know you have it. I've just been going to work and home ever since that story was release.

I just heard on CNN that the nurses treating Duncan

Did not:

Have medical tape around their wrists
Surgical booties
Have protective gear around their neck
Wear the appropriate gowns to treat someone with droplet precautions
N-95 mask

This baffles me. I'm a physical therapist and was trained in wound care in a whirlpool situations with patients who have HIV and other diseases that can be transmitted via bodily fluids while I was in school. Nurses deal with patients who have infectious diseases on a daily basis, how in the hell is there not a "specific protocol"?

Most hospitals I have been in N-95 masks are MANDATORY for those who are treating people with infectious diseases.

Last edited:
I just heard on CNN that the nurses treating Duncan

Did not:

Have medical tape around their wrists
Surgical booties
Have protective gear around their neck
Wear the appropriate gowns to treat someone with droplet precautions
N-95 mask

This baffles me. I'm a physical therapist and was trained in wound care in a whirlpool situations with patients who have HIV and other diseases that can be transmitted via bodily fluids while I was in school. Nurses deal with patients who have infectious diseases on a daily basis, how in the hell is there not a "specific protocol"?

Most hospitals I have been in N-95 masks are MANDATORY for those who are treating people with infectious diseases.

Most older institutions have their own culture/ way they do things. You will see a lot of that in TX.

Most of the places seem to only follow procedures in fear of a safety audit verus actually doing things properly.

There is now a second healthcare worker ...:smh:

Second female health care worker diagnosed with Ebola
DALLAS -- There are now two Dallas hospital employees being treated for the Ebola virus, the Texas Department of State Health Services announced early Wednesday morning.
http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/heal...las-hospital-worker-diagnosed-ebola/17290677/

forgot it's mainly spread though bodily fluids so obviously nurses are at high risk

hospitals need to really get their **** together and fast......can't see it spreading crazy but just in case 

It's not going to be widespread by any means. Theoretically even a couple hundred cases is considered widespread but there's 350 million people in the U.S.? The goal is to have as much little cases as possible. 3 confirmed cases is alarming but no where near a looming pandemic.

It's not going to be widespread by any means. Theoretically even a couple hundred cases is considered widespread but there's 350 million people in the U.S.? The goal is to have as much little cases as possible. 3 confirmed cases is alarming but no where near a looming pandemic.
The way the media has everybody shook you'd think Ebola was knocking at everyone's front door. It's every persons responsibility to educate themselves and realize the sky isn't falling. These hospitals need to do a better job though.

Seems as that undefeated nurse ALSO took a flight :smh:

EDIT: it was from Cleveland back to Dallas before she was diagnosed

Last edited:
Hospitals need to take a hard look at their protocols\SOP's because having nurses treat an ebola patient with MINIMAL PPE is simply INEXCUSABLE.

Just as it had been mentioned before, the removal of the bio hazard PPE is the most important part and staff should practice these new procedures so they are prepared and know what to do should the situation arise.

i also read how this virus can penetrate x size micron or whatever.

if its a pandemic, its too late, just too late. said this virus spreads only when symptoms act up

Back
Top Bottom