Eating habits/rituals, weird?

yeah just cultural i guess. growing up as an asian with a lot of asian friends i always accepted food and/or drink whenever i went to my friends place. same whenever they came to mine.

i wouldn't say its disrespectful - rude if anything.

i wanted my friends parents to like me. :lol:

at a work potluck, i avoid eating plenty of things strictly based on how it looks. family potlucks are the same unless one of my aunties look at my plate and ask why i don’t have any of their baked beans or whatever. i’ll usually say oh yeah i forgot and go grab some rather than telling her that they look crappy. if i’m at someone’s house and they cooked dinner, i usually choke down what i can if it’s not good. my technique is to eat a big mouthful while holding my breath and chasing it down with a swig of juice or soda. the only problem is that it can look like i’m wolfing it down and sometimes they’ll urge me to eat more :frown:

at a work potluck, i avoid eating plenty of things strictly based on how it looks. family potlucks are the same unless one of my aunties look at my plate and ask why i don’t have any of their baked beans or whatever. i’ll usually say oh yeah i forgot and go grab some rather than telling her that they look crappy. if i’m at someone’s house and they cooked dinner, i usually choke down what i can if it’s not good. my technique is to eat a big mouthful while holding my breath and chasing it down with a swig of juice or soda. the only problem is that it can look like i’m wolfing it down and sometimes they’ll urge me to eat more :frown::

so you decide on food based on its physical appearance?

so you decide on food based on its physical appearance?
at parties and get-togethers, that’s pretty much how i choose unless someone clues me in on something i might be missing out on. at restaurants i can’t always see what the finished product will look like so i have to go by how it sounds on the menu.

at parties and get-togethers, that’s pretty much how i choose unless someone clues me in on something i might be missing out on. at restaurants i can’t always see what the finished product will look like so i have to go by how it sounds on the menu.

whats a dish that looks weird enough that you wouldn't try

anything that looks like it contains seafood is out because i don’t eat any. chicken feet or pigs feet are out. don’t like pig when they serve it with the face. don’t like mac and cheese if there’s some kinda meat in it. i dunno. maybe if the food looks too bland?

one thing that scarred me though is this: when i was a kid, i came home from skateboarding one night and our street was having a block party so i went over to make a plate. i scooped up some rice and piled some “chili” on it and went inside the house to eat. a few bites into the “chili” and i was like wtf is wrong with this crap. i went outside to tell my dad that the chili was spoiled and he said what chili? i pointed to a big bowl and everyone started cracking up. it was dinaguan :sick:

I’m kinda picky. I have this thing where I will eat food and chew it, savoring the flavor at times. Really getting in there and enjoying myself. Sometimes I’ll eat every last morsel on the plate. Possibly even sopping up whatever sauce is on the plate with a biscuit of some sort. It really depends on the dish. At times when I’m feeling rebellious I’ll even have a 2nd serving. I once went on a date and we both partook in a whole meal of food.

:rofl:

No Mayo/Ranch/Dressing or anything of similar color/texture/taste

i dress my salads with cheese and bacon instead of dressing

I have a ritual of skipping ketchup and only using mustard on hot dogs.

Probably the only NTer who does that

Weird I know

Not wierd at all..I only mess with mustard on hot dogs..ketchup on hot dogs is extremely wierd..the thought of it makes me cringe..same with ketchup and eggs..blehh

So yo lemme ask yall this...

When i lived down south i was at one point renting a basement from a family. They refused to eat leftovers, which i founs absolutely strange. I asked them why they said they have to have a fresh meal.

Mind boggling to me, but i didnt complain cuz i was getting free meals off these leftovers.

Now that i have encountered people that look down upon leftovers, whats yalls opinion on it?

U all kno how frugal I am..I loveee leftovers..the secret? U have to freeze them..for example u can make a big meal and then put them on separate servings and freeze them..will last for weeks and still taste great when u heat them up..with proper defrosting tho..I'm not gonna lie sometimes they taste better after..leftovers sitting in the fridge for a few days?? Hell no

at a work potluck, i avoid eating plenty of things strictly based on how it looks. family potlucks are the same unless one of my aunties look at my plate and ask why i don’t have any of their baked beans or whatever. i’ll usually say oh yeah i forgot and go grab some rather than telling her that they look crappy. if i’m at someone’s house and they cooked dinner, i usually choke down what i can if it’s not good. my technique is to eat a big mouthful while holding my breath and chasing it down with a swig of juice or soda. the only problem is that it can look like i’m wolfing it down and sometimes they’ll urge me to eat more :frown::

Ahh the potlucks..at work I do not participate ..they have them too often and I would actually feel gluttonous if I ate like that..and I honestly have no desire to try their cooked food..but family potlucks..I'm all game..they are family and I trust them..if so something isn't good I will nonchalantly toss it..no feelings hurt ..I'm actually a real good cook..worked in an Italian restaraunt for years and picked up a lot of good techniques..but I never have time to cook..so family get together I'm always rushing to costco to pickup something

Again looks can be deceiving.

Oysters for example LOOK disgusting but many people enjoy them.

What if I came to your house for da potluck and your mom made 1 dish and I looked at it and said "no thank you I'm good" and proceeded to eat other dishes made by other people. You know got damb well id be getting the side eye the whole time.

But I dunno maybe I'm not the best person for this argument because I'm an adventurous eater.

I understand your view tho

Adventurous eater you say?

You would have to bring your own fork and knife.

So yo lemme ask yall this...

When i lived down south i was at one point renting a basement from a family. They refused to eat leftovers, which i founs absolutely strange. I asked them why they said they have to have a fresh meal.

Mind boggling to me, but i didnt complain cuz i was getting free meals off these leftovers.

Now that i have encountered people that look down upon leftovers, whats yalls opinion on it?

I stayed with a friend and his family for 3 months while I was buying my place, they too didn't eat leftovers. I went over there thinking I'd lose some weight, nope, I was too busy eating they leftovers. Boggled my mind they wouldn't touch leftovers.

Anyone pray before eating?

Or pray before thanksgiving dinner.

I know much less people that do that now

i eat all the cartilage of the chicken and bite the ends of the bones on wings and drums.
absolutely don't leave any meat on the bone

i eat all the cartilage of the chicken and bite the ends of the bones on wings and drums.
absolutely don't leave any meat on the bone

tenor.gif

Why do that to yourself?

^^Mind and stomach go back and forth arguing if I’m really hungry or just bored.

Sometimes we mistake thirst for hunger. Im guilty of that

i eat a salad before every dinner, as horderves.

most traditional Dominicans restaurants serve salad as a side. idk what da newer second gen cats be doing.

We do something similar too. Even if its not an actual salad itll just be sliced tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, lettuce, onion etc on a dish with dinner.

Back
Top Bottom