Dressing better

Michael K. Williams AKA Omar from The Wire has a very nice spread in the new GQ. They put some dope suits on him

Originally Posted by jmal519

Originally Posted by RFX45

You don't have to be doing too well to get what he got on his closet, he was just probably more into those clothes when he was younger instead of Jordans or sneakers. Just imagine how much what we spent on sneakers until we became their age? Imagine spending it on what he bought, it would sense. Plus with suits, if you know your size and where to look and have a good tailor, you can really find some good bargains. You get into the fashion business and you may even get some of those for free. I don't think he is in the fashion business though.

i actually went to high school with this dude in a small town (windsor, ontario, canada). he was a year under me.
he definitely wasn't dressin like this in high school. he used to wear ball shoes every day. he played ball and i think that's how he got to NY - on a scholarship. i know he kicks it w/ some dudes that i hang out with every now and then when he's back in windsor, but i'm not that close to him.

i'm pretty sure he started getting into style when he got to NY. i wish i knew what he did for money, though. reading his blog...it seems that most of his stuff is custom made from Michael Andrews Bespoke.

He was on the ball team at Columbia. He definitely got into fashion here his closet was sick while he was still a student here. I'm sure he's mastered thrifting and finding deals here as well though.

josh from street etiquette has one of the more unique haircuts i've seen in a while.
looks like a mushroom, bowl-cut, high fade combo.

Originally Posted by got shoes

Michael K. Williams AKA Omar from The Wire has a very nice spread in the new GQ. They put some dope suits on him

60575_437967177140_368192162140_4942331_4808569_n.jpg

59971_437967207140_368192162140_4942332_3026142_n.jpg

59971_437967212140_368192162140_4942333_7866390_n.jpg

59971_437967217140_368192162140_4942334_6136604_n.jpg

59971_437967222140_368192162140_4942335_3222331_n.jpg

59971_437967227140_368192162140_4942336_268892_n.jpg

That spread blew me away when I got my GQ last week.  That tweed 3 piece is a $400 suit, I gotta get my mag in the car to remember the brand.

Uniqlo blazer in action
IMG_9690.JPG

tumblr_l9aj5hKLAt1qa4qbeo1_500.jpg

new pickups
Hickey, one of my favorite brands that went under is now stupid cheap at K&G Fashion Superstore.
Rugby reg $115, had for $29.95
Wool pants reg $185, had for $24.95
& a polka dot scarf to add some pop to my boring overcoats for work, H&M $30
nachopickupshickey%20%282%20of%207%29.JPG

Originally Posted by AC4Three

Originally Posted by niidawg3

Hey guys,

I was hoping you could give me some advice on what to wear to a law school formal. The dress code is not explicitly stated, but I can tell you for sure that it is not formal wear (tuxedo). The event will be in the evening at a nice hotel.

Since it is in the evening, I was assuming that a black suit might be the preferred option. The problem is that I only have a black suit from high school; needless to say, it is out of style and fits poorly. My other options are a charcoal gray suit or a navy suit with pinstripes. Which of these two options would you recommend? Also, should I wear black shoes or chocolate brown? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
go with the charcoal grey ... blue or white crisp shirt, a white pocket square ... no tie. should be formal enough but not too formal.

Thanks niidawg3.
A little late but if your formal hasn't passed already maybe I can help. I'm a 3L and we just had our formal last night. My first year I went straight up business suit cause I wasn't sure what to expect. You'll notice a lot of people will be wearing business suits. So if that's the route you wanna go no one will blink twice. But if you want to show out a little you can definitely go with a more social suit but I would stick with a tie. We're lawyers, its part of our look lol. Most will be wearing ties. You're right with your accessment of wearing a black suit, I wore one myself. Since you don't have that option I would go with the charcoal grey suit. Just make sure you take care of the little details and your fit will come together nicely. Get a nice pocket square, learn to tie a windsor knot if you don't already know, nice cuff links if you go with a french cuffed shirt, etc. I didn't take any pics of myself so you can't see my entire fit but here's a few pics of me my friends took:
24pea1u.jpg
2dl8c3o.jpg

I had on black slacks and black cole haan shoes. Three piece suit is a good look if you intend to party for real. Lose the jacket and cut loose cause formal is a rare opportunity to have fun in law school. Hope that helps some homie.

Originally Posted by RavageBX

Hey guys,

I was hoping you could give me some advice on what to wear to a law school formal. The dress code is not explicitly stated, but I can tell you for sure that it is not formal wear (tuxedo). The event will be in the evening at a nice hotel.

Since it is in the evening, I was assuming that a black suit might be the preferred option. The problem is that I only have a black suit from high school; needless to say, it is out of style and fits poorly. My other options are a charcoal gray suit or a navy suit with pinstripes. Which of these two options would you recommend? Also, should I wear black shoes or chocolate brown? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
go with the charcoal grey ... blue or white crisp shirt, a white pocket square ... no tie. should be formal enough but not too formal.

Thanks niidawg3.
A little late but if your formal hasn't passed already maybe I can help. I'm a 3L and we just had our formal last night. My first year I went straight up business suit cause I wasn't sure what to expect. You'll notice a lot of people will be wearing business suits. So if that's the route you wanna go no one will blink twice. But if you want to show out a little you can definitely go with a more social suit but I would stick with a tie. We're lawyers, its part of our look lol. Most will be wearing ties. You're right with your accessment of wearing a black suit, I wore one myself. Since you don't have that option I would go with the charcoal grey suit. Just make sure you take care of the little details and your fit will come together nicely. Get a nice pocket square, learn to tie a windsor knot if you don't already know, nice cuff links if you go with a french cuffed shirt, etc. I didn't take any pics of myself so you can't see my entire fit but here's a few pics of me my friends took:
24pea1u.jpg
2dl8c3o.jpg

I had on black slacks and black cole haan shoes. Three piece suit is a good look if you intend to party for real. Lose the jacket and cut loose cause formal is a rare opportunity to have fun in law school. Hope that helps some homie.

This man blocked out the wrong face
30t6p3b.gif

laugh.gif
Looks good though man. I'd take in that vest a little and find a shirt that wasn't so baggy.

Originally Posted by OptimusPrimeAPhiA

Hey guys,

Thanks niidawg3.
24pea1u.jpg
2dl8c3o.jpg

30t6p3b.gif

laugh.gif
Looks good though man. I'd take in that vest a little and find a shirt that wasn't so baggy.
laugh.gif
harsh!  the shirt was slightly more a 16 on a 14 3/4 body

Originally Posted by damn its me

Originally Posted by OptimusPrimeAPhiA

Hey guys,

Thanks niidawg3.
24pea1u.jpg
2dl8c3o.jpg

30t6p3b.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
harsh!  the shirt was slightly more a 16 on a 14 3/4 body

We've seen your pic Optimus...face only a blind person could love lol. The arms on the shirt were a little long but I didn't have time to exchange it. I bought my regular size but their sizing was off.

some nice pick ups Nacho.

Question about some denim though, I'm not really feeling 514s anymore but 511s are still too tight for my liking
anyone know of a medium between the too? I'm not looking to spend over a hundred dollars for some jeans either

anyone have any recommendations for sweaters that I can wear a button down shirt under? This would be to wear to work.

Shoutouts to nii first of all, this isnt shots at all.
Always been a fan of your dressing. I was surfing FB and I saw this cat thats like the Asian version of you. 
laugh.gif

63333_1449548683477_1376010027_31163222_2418179_n.jpg

I cant be the only one that sees it. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by 10 Piece Nuggets

Always been a fan of your dressing. I was surfing FB and I saw this cat thats like the Asian version of you. 
laugh.gif

63333_1449548683477_1376010027_31163222_2418179_n.jpg

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by 10 Piece Nuggets

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

i'll agree if it comes with the chick to his right 

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by omgitswes

some nice pick ups Nacho.

Question about some denim though, I'm not really feeling 514s anymore but 511s are still too tight for my liking
anyone know of a medium between the too? I'm not looking to spend over a hundred dollars for some jeans either
Did you try tapering a pair of 514s?  I have both a few pairs of 514s and 511s, and the 14s to me are a lot more comfortable.  Yet the leg is still a little to wide for my liking if I'm wearing them with dress shoes.  Brought a pair to my tailor to taper the leg a tad more (almost the same leg opening as my 511s) and I have the best of both worlds.  Cost my $12 + $8 for a 1 inch hem.

Back
Top Bottom