Dressing better

I have 2 Hugo Boss suits and I've actually tried on a Ben Sherman suit before, but I'm not sure which fit it was. The quality of the Hugo Boss was much nicer than the Ben Sherman and it fits me way better (with minor alterations). The Ben Sherman had an awkward fit especially with the pants, and the suit had a mixed blend of wool/polyesther...

You really need to try them both on to determine the fit, but I'm pretty sure you will like the Hugo Boss better...

Yeah, Ben Sherman caters more to the younger crowd but with their step to the MTM world, I figure they upped their quality a bit. If the Hugo Boss retails for $700+ though, then chances are it'll be better than the Ben Sherman suit that retails for $300-$400 (£185-£230).

You may want to check your nearest J.Crew outlet. I found a lot of the shirts that were current in the regular store at the outlet for around $25, the other day. That giant gingham (in grey and in black) were there, and a lot of variations of different sized ginghams in an array of colors.

Originally Posted by RFX45

The pattern on your suit is more subtle though, the guy in the blog is a bit more gaudy?
I'm not sure if that is the word I am looking for but his suit definitely stands out more that yours.
I agree though, suit can be versatile and so many different fits can be made with suits as separates.

Its actually not more subtle - my camera and camera skills just suck. A close-up of that 3 piece would reveal an equally obnoxious windowpane pattern. Long story short though - the point is it is not difficult to mix and match a three piece suit, irrespective of the pattern.  

For the first night of my last spring break as an undergraduate:

J.Crew shirt, pants, and tie.  Ralph Lauren for the rest.  The gold spot on the socks is a Polo logo

I'm loving this thread even more now that I'm working again. I'm digging 2 or 3 of those J.Crew sweaters will be checking them out next week. Do they still do the student discount with ID card?

I just wish I was paid already so I can do some more heavy shopping, wont be getting paid until the 31st =/ Still on the hunt for some spring time cool weather jackets to wear to work, but I'm thinking a couple of those sweaters would work as well.

Anything online for a short trench coat?

I'm in need of dress pants. I have a few but the thing is my feet size is a size 8 and the dress pants kind of cover the shoes a lot. I was wondering where you can get some more slim fitting dress pants

Originally Posted by chixdigggit

Have any of you guys ever tried the thick as thieves suits? How's the fit and quality of their suits?
I would like to know this as well.  I was thinking of getting a herringbone jacket from him but the price of a jacket alone is almost as much as the suit. 

Originally Posted by Russ tha G

For the first night of my last spring break as an undergraduate:

J.Crew shirt, pants, and tie.  Ralph Lauren for the rest.  The gold spot on the socks is a Polo logo
clean fit
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Russ tha G

You may want to check your nearest J.Crew outlet. I found a lot of the shirts that were current in the regular store at the outlet for around $25, the other day. That giant gingham (in grey and in black) were there, and a lot of variations of different sized ginghams in an array of colors.

I buy most of my sports shirts from the J. Crew outlet since they have a better selection and pricing than the retail stores.  I learned from reading the thread on style forum that those shirts are actually made specifically for the outlets and not left over stock brought in from stores.  The snobs on sf claim the quality isn't as good but I haven't noticed a difference.  The outlet price is almost 3x cheaper.

Love the jacket/cardigan Russ, but I don't know, socks and shoes are a little bit too much for me, maybe some nice casual white sneakers would seem more effortless

Originally Posted by magikmike

Originally Posted by chixdigggit

Have any of you guys ever tried the thick as thieves suits? How's the fit and quality of their suits?
I would like to know this as well.  I was thinking of getting a herringbone jacket from him but the price of a jacket alone is almost as much as the suit. 

TaT is pretty good but some people find their suits too modern. Some people would stay completely away from it in professional circumstances, although I disagree because I prefer the more modern and slim silhouette over the more classic and fitted look. So it is a decision you have to make up yourself. They do have a conservative cut, which is roomier than their house cut so that is always an option and you can certainly adjust details in the suit, wider lapels, lower armhole, longer length, etc... Jason is a cool dude to speak with and if you are within the area, he'd gladly meet up with you and measure you himself. I don't think TaT is that pricey either, if you say you are a StyleForum member, you can get a suit for less than $500 and for a mtm suit, that isn't bad at all. That is a suit made to your body and to your specifications and that is a good option instead of buying a $200-$300 suit off the rack that will cost an extra $50-$150 to alter. TaT also makes tuxes now too.

I've heard good things from IndoChino so that is a cheaper option and some people have been happy with the end result, although some people had to go back and forth before getting the correct fit, the customer service is superb from what I read.

Originally Posted by SoleAsian

I'm in need of dress pants. I have a few but the thing is my feet size is a size 8 and the dress pants kind of cover the shoes a lot. I was wondering where you can get some more slim fitting dress pants

H&M or Zara.

A rainy day here in the bay, but spring is around the corner so I picked up a few things for the nice weather that awaits us.

Ben Sherman polo
x2p9bm.jpg

S Perry boat shoes

aolteb.jpg

well i made the switch over to 511's today...bumped up to the next size in the waste and it feels perfect...the slimmer look looks soooooo unbelievably much better.

Originally Posted by xCautioNx

A rainy day here in the bay, but spring is around the corner so I picked up a few things for the nice weather that awaits us.

Ben Sherman polo
x2p9bm.jpg
I like that, nice combo too.  I'm trying on the 511s today

alright fellas, not sure if this was posted, but i'll throw it up in case in wasn't.

Must show Student ID, that's the only catch.

Express: $20 off $40 purchase OR $30 off $75 Purchase.

In-Store, Print out the PDF and you're good...enjoy!

Expires 3/28/10

PDF Link

Back
Top Bottom