Dressing better

This is a great thread make me want to step my game up. I want to add vests u know like the kide u wear with a suit to my wardrobe. Where can I find some Icant find any on RL.com

Originally Posted by cartune

This is a great thread make me want to step my game up. I want to add vests u know like the kide u wear with a suit to my wardrobe. Where can I find some I cant find any on RL.com
recently, they had a bunch at the tj maxx/marshalls around my way...only like $15
pimp.gif

otherwise, i don't think they have many on RL...check urban outfitters website.

Macy's has some fitted dress sport shirts for $19.99 and they're buy one get one free. so its $10/shirt. i picked up a couple yesterday...they'repretty nice.

instant klassic, thanks for the information. The U.S. site does not have much to offer, and there are probably better deals in-store too.

Originally Posted by Jordan Novice

Can someone tell me what a sport shirt is?

It is a button up/button down shirt that are usually more casual than dress shirts.
Dress shirts are also worn with a tie and under a suit, while a sport shirt is usually worn by itself, with or without a tie.
This is the traditional way and in this day of age, the only difference is really just one being more casual than the other.

In addition, sport shirts are also usually sized as S, M, L, XL, etc... while dress shirts are sized as 15, 15.5, 16, 16.5, etc...

Originally Posted by instant klassic

http://mensfashion.about.com/od/wardrobebasics/a/DressSportShirt.htm
[h1]Don't Treat Your Sport Shirts Like They Are Dress Shirts[/h1]
By Daniel Billett, About.com

[h4]Filed In:[/h4]
  1. Wardrobe Basics

Just because a particular shirt may look like a dress shirt, that doesn't mean it is. Sport shirts have become increasing popular with the corporate casual dress code taking over the American work place. As a result, there are lots of shirts out there posing as dress shirts when they are really sport shirts. Allow me to clarify the difference between the two.

Sport shirts can be long or short sleeved, they can be made of cotton or polyester and everything in between, and they can be solid in color or have wild prints. Sport shirts are great because they can be worn with blazers, with jeans, under a v-neck sweater, etc. In general, they are versatile and allow guys to be expressive with prints and colors. However, they shouldn't be treated as a proper dress shirt.

So how do you know the difference between a dress shirt and sport shirt? The biggest difference between the two is the fit. Sport shirts are more loosely fitted while dress shirts are more tailored and meant to be worn with a tie and under a suit. Simply put, dress shirts should fit you like they were made for you. They also tend to be more expensive. Why is this you ask? Dress shirts have better construction, better detailing and are typically made of better quality cottons.

So how should your dress shirt fit? Here four helpful tips to follow when looking for your dress shirt.
  • Go to a men's store or reputable department store to get properly sized if you haven't already. Just ask a sales person, that is what they are there for.
  • Sleeve length should be about one inch below your wrist bone and allow about a quarter inch to be seen from the sleeve of you suit.
  • The shirt collar should fit snugly around your neck but allow you to put two fingers inside.
  • You may want to refer to my article on Tailoring Your Shirt to Look Made-to-Measure once you have picked up your dress shirt.
What kind of collar should you choose? Here are three shirt collars you are most likely to come across and I would suggest avoiding any others that aren't mentioned here.
  • A shirt with a spread collar is more dressy and meant to be worn with a suit and tie. This is not the type of shirt you would wear casually without a tie.
  • The oxford button down as it is known is not quite as formal as a spread collar and is great with khakis and a blazer.
  • A point collar is dressier than a button down and not quite as formal as a spread collar. It's the most versatile and common of three since it can be worn open without a tie or with if you so choose.
And what about color? Every guy should have a white and blue dress shirt. You may want others that have a pattern or in another sold color. See my article on 7 Tips Men Need to Know About Wearing Color.

It is a good, generic explanation but the days of sport shirts being more loose than dress shirts are long gone. By their logic, dress shirts should be moreloose than sport shirts as they classify dress shirts as only worn under a suit. So an ill-fitting dress shirt won't be as noticeable as a sport shirt wornby itself. I feel that both dress shirt and sport shirt should fit like it is made for the person wearing not.

Originally Posted by Jaw Knee C

Originally Posted by RFX45

^^^ Who makes the shirts?

i didn't pay attention but the ones i got were alfani and perry ellis. they had other ones though.
Sounds about right. I picked up a lot of INC, CK, Kenneth Cole, and Perry Ellis for $11-25 a piece a couple of weeks ago.

Originally Posted by RFX45

http://mensfashion.about.com/od/wardrobebasics/a/DressSportShirt.htm
[h1]Don't Treat Your Sport Shirts Like They Are Dress Shirts[/h1]
By Daniel Billett, About.com

[h4]Filed In:[/h4]
  1. Wardrobe Basics

Just because a particular shirt may look like a dress shirt, that doesn't mean it is. Sport shirts have become increasing popular with the corporate casual dress code taking over the American work place. As a result, there are lots of shirts out there posing as dress shirts when they are really sport shirts. Allow me to clarify the difference between the two.

Sport shirts can be long or short sleeved, they can be made of cotton or polyester and everything in between, and they can be solid in color or have wild prints. Sport shirts are great because they can be worn with blazers, with jeans, under a v-neck sweater, etc. In general, they are versatile and allow guys to be expressive with prints and colors. However, they shouldn't be treated as a proper dress shirt.

So how do you know the difference between a dress shirt and sport shirt? The biggest difference between the two is the fit. Sport shirts are more loosely fitted while dress shirts are more tailored and meant to be worn with a tie and under a suit. Simply put, dress shirts should fit you like they were made for you. They also tend to be more expensive. Why is this you ask? Dress shirts have better construction, better detailing and are typically made of better quality cottons.

So how should your dress shirt fit? Here four helpful tips to follow when looking for your dress shirt.
  • Go to a men's store or reputable department store to get properly sized if you haven't already. Just ask a sales person, that is what they are there for.
  • Sleeve length should be about one inch below your wrist bone and allow about a quarter inch to be seen from the sleeve of you suit.
  • The shirt collar should fit snugly around your neck but allow you to put two fingers inside.
  • You may want to refer to my article on Tailoring Your Shirt to Look Made-to-Measure once you have picked up your dress shirt.
What kind of collar should you choose? Here are three shirt collars you are most likely to come across and I would suggest avoiding any others that aren't mentioned here.
  • A shirt with a spread collar is more dressy and meant to be worn with a suit and tie. This is not the type of shirt you would wear casually without a tie.
  • The oxford button down as it is known is not quite as formal as a spread collar and is great with khakis and a blazer.
  • A point collar is dressier than a button down and not quite as formal as a spread collar. It's the most versatile and common of three since it can be worn open without a tie or with if you so choose.
And what about color? Every guy should have a white and blue dress shirt. You may want others that have a pattern or in another sold color. See my article on 7 Tips Men Need to Know About Wearing Color.

It is a good, generic explanation but the days of sport shirts being more loose than dress shirts are long gone. By their logic, dress shirts should be more loose than sport shirts as they classify dress shirts as only worn under a suit. So an ill-fitting dress shirt won't be as noticeable as a sport shirt worn by itself. I feel that both dress shirt and sport shirt should fit like it is made for the person wearing not.
Totally agree.

Sorry to qoute multiple posts, but after reading all of that...the first thought to my head was Bob Saget in Full House when he's alwayswearing that blue dress shirt tucked in his jeans.
laugh.gif
That shirt was way too baggy on him.

Jeans.
Definitely. It's too sporty for slacks. I think it's even too sporty to wear it with a shirt tucked in.

I know i seem really amateur but exactly what color shirt would I have to wear to pull those shoes off?

it would look weird with a shirt tucked in jeans no? but I have no idea if I should match a shirt with them or what?

Originally Posted by bkzkurse

I know i seem really amateur but exactly what color shirt would I have to wear to pull those shoes off?

it would look weird with a shirt tucked in jeans no? but I have no idea if I should match a shirt with them or what?
You only mentioned jeans and slacks, but not khakis or cargo pants. I think they would look pretty good with a navy polo and white pants. Youdon't have to tuck in the polo if it's of shorter length, but if it's a long polo like RL Polo, tuck it in.

Speaking of casual sneakers, does anyone have any experience with the brand Superga? It's a brand based in Torino, Italy and apparently there big overthere. Most of there models are low-profile sneakers with canvas or cotton/linen uppers and a simple rubber sole, very basic but come in a wide variety ofcolors.

I'm going to cop a pair of the Superga Portofino for the summer, they have a linen upper and seem like a great breathable summer sneaker. Any info on thisbrand or the sizing would be great.

I understand the good intentions, but posting a $500 dollar coat after he posted one that was around $150 seems out of his price range

Loake should be a very good, cheap alternative to Trickers.
Loake is probably on Alden (maybe better) quality.
Loake's desert boot is only $69 Euro's.

Yeah I think Pediwear and Loake.co.uk are the only online websites that sell them and I think only Pediwear ships to the U.S.
I hate Pediwear's website format though, they make the shoes very unflattering with their pictures.

Back
Top Bottom