Dressing better

Originally Posted by instant klassic

Originally Posted by dreClark

Originally Posted by instant klassic

Originally Posted by 23Jordancollector

I can take any time of shirt to a taylor right? I bought two classic fit RL shirts some time ago, but I don't like the way they fit. I'm 5'7 and in high school so I want them tailored because I don't like tucking in my shirts right now.
Yes.

Taper = Make it more slim
Hem = Make it shorter

If you want to taper, you might also want to raise the armholes so it fits better. And make sure they take it in from the sides, don't let them take it in from the back which will give your shirt "princess seams".
Interesting....

So I guess I shouldn't get rid of all the Polo's I was about to sell since they are a little too big now...
Polos are a little tougher because of the elastic armbands, cuts in the hem, and longer tail. Only bring it to a really good tailor. They might have to entirely overhaul the shirt to make it look right, and that would cost at least 18-20.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. It's different than just your regular dress shirt.

But I wouldn't mind paying the 18-20 to get it right. Id rather pay that then try to go and buy another one IF I can find it in those exact colors.

The thing with getting button-up/dress shirts altered is, a tailor can only do so much.
If you need it the torso tapered for a more slim look or have it shortened or get the sleeves the right length, then it is no problem bringing it to thetailor.
On the other hand, if the shoulder does not fit anymore and it is overly big and has to be taken in about 2 inches or more in, then you might be better ofselling it.

I was about to get into a habit of purchasing the best fitting shirts and then having it tailored in the side to make it slim until I found Ben Sherman, HugoBoss Slim-Fit's, Paul Smith's slim-fits, RL Rugby, etc... However, I do recommend getting almost any shirt tailored as even the slim-fit shirts atstores like Banana Republic in size xs, still fits me like a Large.

Originally Posted by SpringfieldXD

i think lebron might be one of the more style endowed in the NBA, in terms of the way he coordinates and how his clothes fit...

lebron-james.jpg

what shoes would you wear with that?

Originally Posted by THE ANOMOLIE

Im 6'1. Im and thinking about copping some Ralph Lauren Tee's. Whats a good size? XL?
I'm 6'3 190 lbs and i wear an xl in them. Fits me perfect without looking too big or too small. I bought a large, and it fit, but once ithit the washing machine, it shrunk. Now its strictly on undershirt status. The xxl is a bit too big, and i just wear those around the house.

How can I tell the difference in a sports coat and a suit jacket? For example, why is a sports coat and jeans fine while a orphaned jacket isn't?

Sport coats usually have a different and more noticeable buttons. Maybe a big brown or gold plated buttons.
A sport coat at times also has different aspects that make it a sport coat, like a crest or a two-tone color.
I wouldn't really say an orphaned jacket isn't acceptable with dark jeans, I think it works at times.

Originally Posted by swooshdude

Originally Posted by THE ANOMOLIE

Im 6'1. Im and thinking about copping some Ralph Lauren Tee's. Whats a good size? XL?
I'm 6'3 190 lbs and i wear an xl in them. Fits me perfect without looking too big or too small. I bought a large, and it fit, but once it hit the washing machine, it shrunk. Now its strictly on undershirt status. The xxl is a bit too big, and i just wear those around the house.

laugh.gif
Word it fitted perfect and as soon as it came out the washer thatthing was soooo small.

I'm trying to visualize it in my head, but I thought I'd ask more fashion-smart folks on here. Would these go well with both, jeans and khakis? I'm looking for something casual that I can wear with a lot of different clothings. I need a guideline or a flow chart when I go shopping
laugh.gif

Shoes.com Link

shoes_iaec1148826.jpg

The desert boots go with about anything. I stopped by the mall today to try them on to make sure I knew what size I was before buying them online and I waswearing navy pants and they looked fine.

Now I just have to find them online for the cheapest price possible. A drink was spilled on my own pair and now they're pretty much ruined (plus they weregetting too small).

aside from khakis and quality dress shirts, invest in 1 navy/black peacoat, and 1 khaki trenchcoat, clarks, dress socks, a black tie, SHIRT STAYS! keep yourdress shirts from untucking when you sit and walk

laugh.gif
@ shirt stays.
I think that is a bit OD.
I've never tried it but those things looks real uncomfortable.

As for the Clarks, they are pretty versatile as long as you get a neutral color.
Black, brown or even sand might be a good color that can be worn with jeans or chinos.

Originally Posted by RFX45

The thing with getting button-up/dress shirts altered is, a tailor can only do so much.
If you need it the torso tapered for a more slim look or have it shortened or get the sleeves the right length, then it is no problem bringing it to the tailor.
On the other hand, if the shoulder does not fit anymore and it is overly big and has to be taken in about 2 inches or more in, then you might be better of selling it.

I was about to get into a habit of purchasing the best fitting shirts and then having it tailored in the side to make it slim until I found Ben Sherman, Hugo Boss Slim-Fit's, Paul Smith's slim-fits, RL Rugby, etc... However, I do recommend getting almost any shirt tailored as even the slim-fit shirts at stores like Banana Republic in size xs, still fits me like a Large.
I guess u are either REAL small or wear like skin tight clothing?

Originally Posted by lilpro4u

RL.com has these slim chinos for $34.99 down from $165.00.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

pPOLO2-4192652_standard_v330.jpg

pPOLO2-4373054_standard_v330.jpg

I can't buy much of anything since I'm trying to lose 30 lbs by summer.
ohwell.gif
ohwell.gif
but 36 waist..ehhh. Maybe if i can get them tapered.

Originally Posted by dendanskesimon

If you need it the torso tapered for a more slim look or have it shortened or get the sleeves the right length, then it is no problem bringing it to the tailor.
On the other hand, if the shoulder does not fit anymore and it is overly big and has to be taken in about 2 inches or more in, then you might be better of selling it.

I was about to get into a habit of purchasing the best fitting shirts and then having it tailored in the side to make it slim until I found Ben Sherman, Hugo Boss Slim-Fit's, Paul Smith's slim-fits, RL Rugby, etc... However, I do recommend getting almost any shirt tailored as even the slim-fit shirts at stores like Banana Republic in size xs, still fits me like a Large.

I am not real small at all. BR shirts just fit horribly and their "slim-fit" shirts are still 2 sizes too big. The same with GAP's slim-fit sportshirts, the small just fits horribly on me, real baggy.
Anyone who has tried on a real fitted shirts from Hugo Boss (or even H&M) and a BR shirt of the same size can attest to how different the two fits. I guessa better example is trying on a Nautica polo compared to an RL polo. No Nautica cannot be distinguished as an Urban brand anymore, at least not to the same"urban" style and fit as Fubu or Ecko, so it is a fair comparison in their market.
The same way Men's Wearhouse suits fit horribly even if you size down one compared to a Hickey Freeman suit. These American companies just has not adoptedthe Euro fits and most of their clothes are still made for the typical fat American who wears boxy clothes.

Originally Posted by dendanskesimon

I am not real small at all. BR shirts just fit horribly and their "slim-fit" shirts are still 2 sizes too big. The same with GAP's slim-fit sport shirts, the small just fits horribly on me, real baggy.
Anyone who has tried on a real fitted shirts from Hugo Boss (or even H&M) and a BR shirt of the same size can attest to how different the two fits. I guess a better example is trying on a Nautica polo compared to an RL polo. No Nautica cannot be distinguished as an Urban brand anymore, at least not to the same "urban" style and fit as Fubu or Ecko, so it is a fair comparison in their market.
The same way Men's Wearhouse suits fit horribly even if you size down one compared to a Hickey Freeman suit. These American companies just has not adopted the Euro fits and most of their clothes are still made for the typical fat American who wears boxy clothes.
take your #$@ to europe then.

wink.gif

I'm always intrigued by your posts/topics but aside from your input, great as it is, people should dress according to the occasion and to their comfort.

I for one love the whole formal from the waist up, casual from the waist down. I feel comfortable and is "dressy" enough for most situations IMO.

I know when to wear a suit but I'm not gonna wear some suit that fits to my skin...in order to "dress well" it must be comfortable to thatperson.

How many fat #$@ dudes you see squeezing into skinny jeans just because.

for those who are looking for loafers/drivers...

I have yet to use these, but they look real nice in person:

Cole Haan Infinity Driver

6627-427657-p.jpg

got it for $70 on Ebay.

Believe me, I am not encouraging people to squeeze into skinny jeans or wear shirts that feels painted on.
Of course it is all about comfort but my mere suggestion is get one that fits well.

I will again refer to these pics. It is pretty much a before and after shot.
Now the clothes are far from skin tight in the after shots but sure make a big difference.
Just imagine the before shots as Men's Wearhosue suits and the after shots are the more fitted and tailored suits.
(Yeah you can argue that it is tailored but there are companies who make suits that fit as close to that as possible and shirts that fit real well to beginwith.)
00001h.jpg
00002h.jpg

00003h.jpg
00004h.jpg

00005h.jpg
00006h.jpg

Now I can imagine the before shot being more comfortable, especially if that is what they have worn their whole life but I don't think the after shots arethat much more uncomfortable.
The body will have to adopt to it as well and once it gets used to it, the before shot will become pretty uncomfortable.

This is a sort of "urban" forum, thus, with rare exceptions, you will get awful fashion advice.

Some of you guys know what's up though....ik, RFX, etc.

Originally Posted by Joseph Camel Jr

This is a sort of "urban" forum, thus, with rare exceptions, you will get awful fashion advice.

Some of you guys know what's up though....ik, RFX, etc.

That's kind of ignorant....don't you think? What does being "urban" have to dowith knowing how or how not to dress well?

I need my sport shirts to be both shortened and slimmed down a bit, so I guess it'll work. I don't mind the sleeves cus I think they fitokay, but IDK ima have to go and see for myself. BTW, how do I take my own measurements?

those suits you posted are good in my book fx.

i pictured your suggestions as though supertight almost shinny suits
ive seen alot of people in l.a. wearing with the most pointed shoes ive
ever seen.

i can definately work with that cut and im a big dude.

Back
Top Bottom