Dressing better

Originally Posted by Super Producer J

lol, I saw this 'fit on SF a few weeks ago
img_3171.png

Definitely inspired me to pull the white pants out of the closet for some reimplementing into the wardrobe.

yeah im on SF and Good looks man appreciate it , white jeans going to do damage this spring/summer man bring em out lol ..

Dam those mocha desert boots are FIRE!! Info please?

What do yall think of these Cole Haans?

C07910_A

Originally Posted by Jkissi7

Originally Posted by RFX45

Here's a pretty decent blog I found, http://streetetiquette.com .
A good blog to browse through, it is interesting to say the least.

Wow , kind of surprised to see my site on Nike Talk in general , long time member here always will respect its the first sneaker forum I came onto in 2003 or so. I appreciate all the props and criticism about our dressing for those who like it please keep checking it out man were trying to really push this out fellas. Obviously we haven't always dressed like this born and raised in the BX, but sometimes you just change as time goes on. Not for everybody of course but if you feel its for you why not embark on it you know. As far as my love for kicks though always will be a part of me , I wrote a interesting post on my relationship with the sneakergame or kicks in general titled "Losing my 'Sole'" , guys should check it out and respond bring up some interesting points agreeing/disagreeing doesnt matter. http://streetetiquette.co...09/05/06/losing-my-sole/ lol i talk too much btw

Props to the blog, it is quite interesting to check out. When I saw the blog, I definitely had in my mind that there was a chance someone on NT is writing it.
Keep doing what you are doing, I'll check it out once in a while.

Originally Posted by artysm

Trying to hard with this look but again, good concept just not the right execution.
gg6.jpg

i don't see how this is trying too hard. it's just pure swagger. besides, the pic you're quoting is from a blog called "street etiquette."

there's a lot of ups and downs to this thread. not sure how many people on NT are in the industry but when i travel to shows like LA Market, WSA, FFANY, Project/Magic/Pool, etc to make buys, a lot of the male buyers don't even dress remotely close to the info that has been dropped in this thread. which is ironic b/c buyers are the key players in telling you "what's hot" for the upcoming season. like i said in one of my previous posts, this thread is more like a gigantic guide on how to dress like a prep. even the RL account execs/sales reps i've dealt with can't even dress themselves, and their discount is 60%.

i don't usually refer to GQ as a style guide simply b/c it goes along with trends influenced by advertising, but the best quote in the Preppy article i found was this: "If you want to embrace the preppy look, keep one thing in mind: Scale it back." like the pic above, a little bit of street, a little bit of prep. same thing with my fav look from spring 09 from Dsquared

00190m.jpg

in the end fashion is all subjective. this thread is a good read and it's good to interact with people who are into fashion on this board. i just hope i dont walk down melrose one day and see all the graphic tees swapped for button down oxfords and SB's swapped for loafers. as long as brands like ed hardy and tapout are still poppin' amongst the masses, fine by me. and to whoever said boat shoes weren't trendy, they're trendy. if it's at Urban Outfitters, it's trendy. classic shoe sure, but they're definitely trendy.

I think you guys a misinterpreting what is going on in this thread.
It isn't necessarily ecouraging to be preppy nor being stylish, it is about dressing well or better.
It's true though, dressing better is suggestive, some people may see baggy jeans and jersey's as dressing well, hell someone on thsi thread even saidLil' Wayne is dressed real well and he is successful because of it... or something in that realm.

The thread helps people get an idea on how to dress well for the occassion.
You know, no sneakers with suits when going to an interview, no Steve Harvey-esque suits either.
As a general rule, you have to dress the part. Just because one person at a certain job gets away with dressing in shorts and tee doesn't mean it will workeverywhere.
That along with wearing clother appropriately, as in finding the right fit (not outfit but fit as in how it fits) on clothes.
Like if someone is going to wear a suit, at least take a little effort to make it right.
You don't want to drag your pants, you don't want the suit jacket to look like it was handed down by your dad.
I believe, for the most part, that is what thise thread provides to it's readers.
A little change. Of course, you have to think it is nice too. None of use here is forcing anyone to wear a certain thing, they have to create something thatworks for them and that they can be happy with.
Because if they are not happy with what they are wearing, then the whole point is lost.

Like the guy in the blog, he has his own style. I can't say i can pull it off myself and I will critique it and say my opinion but that is really it, justmy opinion.
His pants in the pic with the raincoat is way too long, maybe next time he would get it hemmed so it would look better.

Also, to be honest, that look from DSquare is a bit too much as well, it is definitely trying to hard and could only be pulled off in the runway.
A fitted chino with walkign shoes, the glasses with pink sweater and tie is dressy yet he is wearing huge sunglasses and fishermans hat and colorful walkingshoes?
Put some white bucks on him and get rid of the hat and sunglasses and that would work real well.

Anywho, I knwo NT hates seeing a wall of letters so I'll stop there.
JKissi7, and you said you liked to talked...
laugh.gif

Honestly, I could keep going and going....

Originally Posted by I3

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

Here's the black with white bottom clarks I was talking about to the guy who wanted a black suede/nubuck pair:

2gwfi2w.jpg

ix58wn.jpg

The insole is very cushioned, pretty solid pickup for $50. And Clarks has this thing now where you buy one you get the next at 25% off so I would suggest to those looking for a pair to go stop by. Only colors they have is black/white bottom, Dark Brown/Dark brown bottom, Tan suede/Dark Brown Bottom, and a really Lightblue suede/dark bottom.
Whats the model? Cant find it on their site.
So, where can I find a pair of these?

RFX45 yeah man cant forget about NT first forum I joined ever online then came the others. Yeah man please keep checking it out subscribe if you want alwayshave something interesting popping up on there.

Yeah you just Essay'd it out , but I could compete
happy.gif
lol

trav66.png
img_3171.png
travvvv.png

Trying to hard with this look but again, good concept just not the right execution.
gg6.jpg
They all look like the multitude of gay flocks of men that I see roaming around lennox and downtown.

Yo lucky! lol whats going on my brother...

Btw those are Sebago boat shoes they're on the sebago site for sale..

CAN ANYONE HELP ME OUT....what kind of tie would best go with a gingham shirt? (stripes/dots/pattern/plane/etc.)

o and fyi they got gingham shirts regular price 45 on sale for 20 bucks on jcpenny.com

CAN ANYONE HELP ME OUT....what kind of tie would best go with a gingham shirt? (stripes/dots/pattern/plane/etc.)

o and fyi they got gingham shirts regular price 45 on sale for 20 bucks on jcpenny.com

^A dark navy narrow or a knit tie (assuming your gingham is navy)
31k43OgkVjL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

31K%2BJeaquzL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

or if you want to stand out, red narrow
31p6wid6hhL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

no problem Sloanboy yeah true to size is fine with them

CJ003 with gingham shirts or any shirts with patterns its safe to go with solid ties depending on the colorway of the gingham shirt itself.

Also, to be honest, that look from DSquare is a bit too much as well, it is definitely trying to hard and could only be pulled off in the runway.
A fitted chino with walkign shoes, the glasses with pink sweater and tie is dressy yet he is wearing huge sunglasses and fishermans hat and colorful walking shoes?
Put some white bucks on him and get rid of the hat and sunglasses and that would work real well. .

basically the point i was getting at, American Prepster. the only difference is that it's not "common" to see a bucket cap, trainers and someCazals with this look. it's designs like these from Dan and Dean that tie in the street swag with a little bit of ivy influence that make their Spring 09amazing. there's a pair of orange-red pleated shorts in their '09 line that made its way as a cheaper version to H&M, wouldn't be surprised ifZara had it too. if you think that RTW look can't make it off the runway, you really don't know what's really out there. but then again i could bea little biased coming from the industry side and seeing the multitude of styles around.

when i read a lot of the comments/suggestions in this thread, they're heavily influenced by GQ, fashion blogs, etc. i get the "dressing better"part but dressing better doesn't necessarily entail "dressing like Kennedy" which i'm sure you can agree that the last 20 pages are clearlyIvy/Prep influenced looks/suggestions. what i'm saying is not everything has to be cut short, fitted, you need to do this/that to "dress better."but i also understand that it's a much easier style to transition into than something more dark like McQueen or super fitted like Thom Browne. bottom line,i think most should get pieces that will work with their current wardrobe instead of tossing everything out. these pieces should be something that'll lastthem 5yrs down the line at least and still be timeless. but these pieces doesn't necessarily have to be a pair bucks, slim fit khakis with no break, slimfitted shirts, etc.

cool thanks for the help guys....one more question: do you think a navy gingham shirt is formal enough for my graduation?

Originally Posted by CJ003

cool thanks for the help guys....one more question: do you think a navy gingham shirt is formal enough for my graduation?

if it's a HS grad, no problemo. keep it casual, rock it with some jeans and some canvas sneaks, good to go. at least tuck in the shirt since it's acelebration. if it's college, personally i wore a suit & tie b/c hell, it's a bigger accomplishment in my book.

Nice thread, but does anyone have any nice fits for summer? The days are getting hotter and hotter, can't wear no trenches anymore

^^ ya its a college grad. but its going to be super hot, im going to grad school, so its not going to be my biggest accomplishment in terms of graduation whenall is said and done. I just dont want to look like an idiot at the same time. Im kinda lost lol

Originally Posted by artysm

A fitted chino with walkign shoes, the glasses with pink sweater and tie is dressy yet he is wearing huge sunglasses and fishermans hat and colorful walking shoes?
Put some white bucks on him and get rid of the hat and sunglasses and that would work real well. .

basically the point i was getting at, American Prepster. the only difference is that it's not "common" to see a bucket cap, trainers and some Cazals with this look. it's designs like these from Dan and Dean that tie in the street swag with a little bit of ivy influence that make their Spring 09 amazing. there's a pair of orange-red pleated shorts in their '09 line that made its way as a cheaper version to H&M, wouldn't be surprised if Zara had it too. if you think that RTW look can't make it off the runway, you really don't know what's really out there. but then again i could be a little biased coming from the industry side and seeing the multitude of styles around.

when i read a lot of the comments/suggestions in this thread, they're heavily influenced by GQ, fashion blogs, etc. i get the "dressing better" part but dressing better doesn't necessarily entail "dressing like Kennedy" which i'm sure you can agree that the last 20 pages are clearly Ivy/Prep influenced looks/suggestions. what i'm saying is not everything has to be cut short, fitted, you need to do this/that to "dress better." but i also understand that it's a much easier style to transition into than something more dark like McQueen or super fitted like Thom Browne. bottom line, i think most should get pieces that will work with their current wardrobe instead of tossing everything out. these pieces should be something that'll last them 5yrs down the line at least and still be timeless. but these pieces doesn't necessarily have to be a pair bucks, slim fit khakis with no break, slim fitted shirts, etc.

What you see as swag, I see as trying too hard. I don't know, maybe it is because I like to keep things simple.
That's just me though, I am happy with wearing chinos and sportshirts and throwing in a knitted tie to spruce it up a bit along with my slip-ons or brownwingtips.
I like it simple and complicating things just makes it trying too hard or putting too much thought into it.

I agree, I see these runway things in the streets but more often than not, it translates horribly for the simple fact that some of these runway looks has to gowith model like body.
It definitely isn't for everyone. Plus it is a bit unfair since you are in the fashion business, you will be more immune to crazy styles.
Industry folks definitely gets a pass in soem of these things. Where else can a person in a black skirt and pink tights with black goth-like boots beacceptable other than on Marc Jacbos?
I respect his style and love his clothes, which i doubt he designs anymore, but walk in the streets wearing it is just, well I don't even knwo the words toexplain it.

GQ, overall, is a good guide. They can explaint he basics and you have to take it from there.
I am confident enough to say that I have developed my own style and I really can't say it isn't influenced by GQ or Esquire.
I wouldn't go into some of the styles GQ puts out but their recommendations and suggestions are a good starting point.
Again, you really have to develop it eventually to your own style.
This thread also introduces NTers to thing they may not know exist or look good.
Like DB's or boat shoes, I believe we just suggest it here and if some happens to like it and can incorporate it to their closet, then we have accomplishedin introducing them to a new world.
I think that is what people should take from this thread.

Some of these suggestions may seem preppy and less "street" but to some extent, it really isn't.
Not many people here suggest polo's anymore (the type of shirt, not the brand) and that is a preppy signature look.
We encourage sport shirts and chinos with low profile shoes, which I believe is just a clean look, not exactly preppy.
Originally Posted by da703trailblaza

rfx45 i see the SF rubbing off on you
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

I have definitely been influenced by them for a while now but I cannot say i have conformed to their standards as they could be more snobbish than NT.
I took a suggestion here and there but I stay with my own style.
I still enjoy wearing my Gucci's and Pradas even when they show their brand names, it just doesn't bother me while they go crazy over the red stripe ofthe Prada label.
laugh.gif

People there are harsh but you take what you can because they do have great minds there, even though it is misplaced at times.

Back
Top Bottom