Dressing Better Vol 2.0

for today

I'm about to start packing for a trip to NYC. Leaving on the 6th and coming back home on the 10th. I checked the weather and saw it will be mostly low to mid 50's in the day/ mid to low 40's at night. I want to pack light, so I'm looking to take some versatile items with him.

the plan is to go the Brooklyn Nets game that Saturday, shop, drink, party Saturday night, eat and tour a few places (this will be my 2nd time going).

-wool gray bubble vest
- denim jacket
- army green j crew urban slim fit pants
- navy j crew urban slim fit pants
- dark blue levi 511's

I haven't really picked out any shoes or shirts so far. thinking about taking some black tassel loafers, maybe my dark brown monk straps and i'm not sure what else.

any suggestions? changes maybe? i'm not sure if i even want to take a suit for maybe a lounge/club saturday night

Just wrote this up yesterday but should give you a good idea I hope. I'd just bring a coat.

I'm about to start packing for a trip to NYC. Leaving on the 6th and coming back home on the 10th. I checked the weather and saw it will be mostly low to mid 50's in the day/ mid to low 40's at night. I want to pack light, so I'm looking to take some versatile items with him.

the plan is to go the Brooklyn Nets game that Saturday, shop, drink, party Saturday night, eat and tour a few places (this will be my 2nd time going).

-wool gray bubble vest
- denim jacket
- dark blue levi 511's

I haven't really picked out any shoes or shirts so far. thinking about taking some black tassel loafers, maybe my dark brown monk straps and i'm not sure what else.

any suggestions? changes maybe? i'm not sure if i even want to take a suit for maybe a lounge/club saturday night

if you are trying to pack light you are already packing too much. no real reason to bring both dark denim and navy chinos. also the black tassel loafers dont seem very versatile. i would bring a pair of comfortable shoes to walk around in during the day and a pair to wear when you go out at night.

Quick question for the DB bros, are grey slim chinos and v-neck sweaters considered business casual?

Denim and Supply has some nice pieces, but they are way too loud for me.

Hey guys, Im a college student and growing out of the street wear and basketball sneaker scene and I want to start dressing more professional and appropriately. I will be frequenting this board more and want to ask what is a good quality and reasonably priced company/website that has the basics i would need to kickstart my wardrobe. Im interested in clothing that supports both functionality and style. And lastly I want clothes that I can wear hard, wash and not worry about the fit being any different. Any input is appreciated

If you're just starting out I would recommend checking out stores like H&M, Zara, and Uniqlo. These should give you a good starting point, try Gap as well but it can be a bit more expensive than the other 3.

Good luck man!

I thought I was the only one that didn't see the appeal of Denim Supply. Most of they're stuff is just weird to me

if you are trying to pack light you are already packing too much. no real reason to bring both dark denim and navy chinos. also the black tassel loafers dont seem very versatile. i would bring a pair of comfortable shoes to walk around in during the day and a pair to wear when you go out at night.

True on the jeans/pants. I'll probably just go with the navy chinos. For what I have so far, I can wear the tassel loafers with just about everything. I may end up bringing some Clark DB's along with the loafers and those will be my only 2 shoes.

Quick question for the DB bros, are grey slim chinos and v-neck sweaters considered business casual?

In Houston business causal is a suit attire minus the jacket.

Shirt, tie, slacks and dress shoes.

Tie with no jacket looks weird imo.
Business casual for me = dress shirt w/ top button unbuttoned, dress pants, and dress shoes
Really? I completely disagree that it looks weird but business casual can go either way in terms of tie or no tie, it depends on the setting.

-wool gray bubble vest
- denim jacket
- dark blue levi 511's

Lose the Navy pants. Take a pair of versatile sneakers that you could still possibly wear out at night.

Take a hoody in case in rains.

After the Nets game, walk a few blocks up to Christies and get a beef patty and Ginger Lemonade or Pina-Passion.

Hey guys, Im a college student and growing out of the street wear and basketball sneaker scene and I want to start dressing more professional and appropriately. I will be frequenting this board more and want to ask what is a good quality and reasonably priced company/website that has the basics i would need to kickstart my wardrobe. Im interested in clothing that supports both functionality and style. And lastly I want clothes that I can wear hard, wash and not worry about the fit being any different. Any input is appreciated

If you're just starting out I would recommend checking out stores like H&M, Zara, and Uniqlo. These should give you a good starting point, try Gap as well but it can be a bit more expensive than the other 3.

Good luck man!

Yeah those stores UNKWN posted are definitely good places to start....maybe even check JCP some of their newer stuff with the Nick Wooster affiliation are solid for the price, Target has some nice basics as well. Gap is good, but please wait for a sale...I swear they email me 3 times a week with at least 20-40% off (Same with Old Navy and Banana Republic) These stores will allow you to try out some pieces and not spend a ton if you don't end up liking it or if things don't fit well...us college guys still have to work on a fairly tight budget :lol:

Back
Top Bottom