Dressing Better Vol 2.0

nice fit! i dug this up kuz still looking for info on oxford shirts.....what brand is yours? also, i work in corp retail.....good luck to you at FIT! i went to FIDM post undergrad....

and thanks for the info wj4....they look black to me
Another LA cat? How did you like FIDM?

yep...FIDM was cool...i worked FT, so was in and out of class and took online classes, but enjoyed my time there.

Hey folks, can I get some feedback on which one looks nicer? I'm torn between the 3 but only getting 1! :D

I dont think you can go wrong with any of them. IMO, they're all nice.

You went to FIDM in DTLA? Man...the eye candy there though?! :smokin

I lived literally 10 steps away from the DTLA campus at the Renaissance Towers.

Help NT bros!

I have an interview on Monday for a copywriting position at a marketing firm. (A copywriter is basically the equivalent to a graphic designer; they just deal with the text of ads and such) I don't have a suit unfortunately but I read somewhere that creative careers such as graphic designers dont necessarily need to dress too professionally. Any advice or should I invest in a suit to be safe?

Help NT bros!

I have an interview on Monday for a copywriting position at a marketing firm. (A copywriter is basically the equivalent to a graphic designer; they just deal with the text of ads and such) I don't have a suit unfortunately but I read somewhere that creative careers such as graphic designers dont necessarily need to dress too professionally. Any advice or should I invest in a suit to be safe?
Yup a suit is the best idea. Solid color tie and no purple.

Last edited:
Help NT bros!

if you can find a suit that fits well OTR you should definitely go that route. you don't have enough time to get anything altered though. for future reference, unless you are applying retail or manual labor. always go with a suit for an interview.

if you can find a suit that fits well OTR you should definitely go that route. you don't have enough time to get anything altered though. for future reference, unless you are applying retail or manual labor. always go with a suit for an interview.
By far the most ignorant comment I've ever read in this thread.

We've had this discussion before a month or two ago. I believe it was Wisith that said the guys who came to an interview in just shirts and tie rather than a full suit were the ones to be hired.

What it boils down to is that most people in a hiring position don't care if you're wearing a suit or not, I think you'll be alright if you go with a shirt, tie, and decent pair of pants.

Last edited:
W'eve had this discussion before a month or two ago. I believe it was Wisith that said the guys who came to an interview in just shirts and tie rather than a full suit were the ones to be hired.

What it boils down to is that most people in a hiring position don't care if you're wearing a suit or not, I think you'll be alright if you go with a shirt, tie, and decent pair of pants.
Yup. Look presentable but it doesn't matter if you show up in a thrifted suit or Tom Ford suit.

More LA cats?!

Man....I had no problem with you up until this.

Now I really do think you're trolling.

What is ignorant about that? There really is no need for a suit if you are interviewing for those types of positions.

Dude... :smh:

So when I went and applied to Footlocker in highschool I should have been in a suit for my interview which was in the food court?

I'm doing it wrong fam :frown:

Last edited:
I was questionable about a suit because I know getting something off the rack while having a nice solid fit would be difficult. Any alternatives to suits? I'm considering just going in a shirt and tie but I'll test my luck finding a suit with a decent fit

What is ignorant about that? There really is no need for a suit if you are interviewing for those types of positions.
Yep, I was trying to give the benefit of the doubt
mean.gif

Lol you didn't know he was a troll? I think dude actually succeeds at getting under your guy's skin because he acts like he's serious about this thread as opposed to one of our monthly trolling idiots who blatantly lets us know that they're trolling. Just stop feeding him and he will go away :smile:

Edit: It's Noob SaiBot by the way :wink:

Last edited:
Welp. Block list.

PS. RANDOM DRESSING BETTER (OR JUST WEARING CLOTHING) FACTOID:

Nautical, and generally horizontal, stripes are so hot this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: wj4

Lol you didn't know he was a troll? I think dude actually succeeds at getting under your guy's skin because he acts like he's serious about this thread as opposed to one of our monthly trolling idiots who blatantly lets us know that they're trolling. Just stop feeding him and he will go away :smile:

Edit: It's Noob SaiBot by the way :wink:

LOL I was gonna say the same thing. What the hell is Saiot? Unless dudes name is Toias and not Tobias :lol:

Don't know who's trolling and who's not anymore :lol:

For the jobs I've had so far after graduating, I showed up in simple dress shirts/pants and got hired. Wearing a suit is completely unnecessary (I'm an accountant if that matters)

Then again, the Bay Area (and Cali in general) is pretty relaxed when it comes to dress code. I literally don't know anyone (besides lawyers) who wears a suit to work unless he/she has to do a presentation at a convention or something. The VP of my company shows up to work wearing an untucked company-logo polo shirt with golf pants and beat up shoes on a daily basis :smh: :lol:

Last edited:
a suit being "completely unnecessary" is a long long stretch my friend. it seems like your work environment is relatively relaxed when it comes to dress code. that would not fly if your boss is gordon gecko

Nobody will ever convinced me that owning a suit is unnessesary....ever! And I work in scrubs....there are always special events, weddings, interviews, etc to which having a suit handy is the best thing possible, all you have to worry is about a nice shirt a tie and boom, you are good to go, looking fresher than a mug

Does dress code of a company dictate if someone should wear a suit or not?

I read somewhere that even if the dress code of the workplace is casual that a person should still wear a suit for an interview.
This might have been old info though. Thanks for the advice guys. Any other pointers regarding attire for an interview?

a suit being "completely unnecessary" is a long long stretch my friend. it seems like your work environment is relatively relaxed when it comes to dress code. that would not fly if your boss is gordon gecko

Like I said, I work in the Bay Area...no one here cares about wearing suits or dressing well in general at work. The environment here is completely different from somewhere like NYC

Better to be overdressed than underdressed imo
agreed. I've worked places and seen guys and girls come in sneakers and jeans for a interview(an entire group of like 8). Ok, it was retail, but it isn't that casual. HR manager and Main manager just laugh and bs talk them and sure enough none of them got any job.

Point is, like melofan stated, your better off being overdressed. Along with other factors, i'd hire the guy in the suit for the footlocker job, than the guy who comes in camo pants with sneakers thinking he'd get the job because hes a "sneakerhead"

The logic can be applied to any job. At the very least always have your facial hair groomed, your hair neat, clothing ironed and neat and AT LEAST wear dress pants, dress shoes and a dress shirt.

Last edited:
Nobody will ever convinced me that owning a suit is unnessesary....ever! And I work in scrubs....there are always special events, weddings, interviews, etc to which having a suit handy is the best thing possible, all you have to worry is about a nice shirt a tie and boom, you are good to go, looking fresher than a mug

Didn't say that it was unecessary in general, just that for the most part, you don't need to wear one for work where I live unless you're a lawyer. At most places you'll be seen as trying too hard if you wear anything more than a dress shirt/pant combo. I work/have worked in some of the biggest companies in the Silicon Valley, so it's not like I'm at a small time office where there's no dress code

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom