Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Whenever reading this thread, I always hear the no black suit for interview thing. Just curious what's the anti-black suit theory for interview settings? Also, when is a black suit suitable?

Price range, not really sure, not too expensive. I'm still in school, so I don't have much money. The suit will be for med school interviews/things related to this. 

Thanks

Whenever reading this thread, I always hear the no black suit for interview thing. Just curious what's the anti-black suit theory for interview settings? Also, when is a black suit suitable?

Price range, not really sure, not too expensive. I'm still in school, so I don't have much money. The suit will be for med school interviews/things related to this. 

Thanks
Black suits are really meant for funerals only. Also people believe that "black goes with everything". This is not the case with suits. Like stated early, you'll be able to pair a wider array of shirts/ties/shoes with a navy or charcoal suits versus a black one.

And not too expensive still isn't good enough. You can get a full suit from H&M for around $80-100. Express has some sales where you can find suits for around $150. J.Crew Factory runs sales that knocks there's down to around $200. Macy's is gonna be around the $200-300 price range. And i'm guessing that's around your cap. Keep in mind, if you want the suit to fit properly, you're going to need to get things altered. Alterations can run anywhere from $25 to $100, depending on what you ask for.

Here's a picture of a before Kenneth Cole suit i picked up from Burlington Coat Factory for around $110. The after picture was after spending around $150 on tailoring. I tapered the full arm, shortened the sleeves, took in the waist, tapered the leg, and hemmed it.

hope this helps and good luck on your interviews

Last edited:
RE: Beat bracelets. You can try Chinatown if there is one around you. Maybe Etsy too?

Today, continuing with the layering:

Thanks for the recommendations. Yea cap would be 300, will probably scrounge around a Macy's very soon. You guys pointed me in the right direction. Also for shirts, is there a specific collar that goes well with a slim fit suit, etc. I know there are a variety of collars. 

Thanks

First Happy Birthday to Carlin!

Two, Black suits are only suitable for funerals and weddings, even weddings could be pushing it...although many of us married guys would say funerals and weddings are the same thing lol. Outside of that black suits also remind me of waiters and waitresses.

First Happy Birthday to Carlin!

Two, Black suits are only suitable for funerals and weddings, even weddings could be pushing it...although many of us married guys would say funerals and weddings are the same thing lol. Outside of that black suits also remind me of waiters and waitresses.
also suitable for hostesses at CPK and the like

Thanks
Black suits are really meant for funerals only. Also people believe that "black goes with everything". This is not the case with suits. Like stated early, you'll be able to pair a wider array of shirts/ties/shoes with a navy or charcoal suits versus a black one.

And not too expensive still isn't good enough. You can get a full suit from H&M for around $80-100. Express has some sales where you can find suits for around $150. J.Crew Factory runs sales that knocks there's down to around $200. Macy's is gonna be around the $200-300 price range. And i'm guessing that's around your cap. Keep in mind, if you want the suit to fit properly, you're going to need to get things altered. Alterations can run anywhere from $25 to $100, depending on what you ask for.

Here's a picture of a before Kenneth Cole suit i picked up from Burlington Coat Factory for around $110. The after picture was after spending around $150 on tailoring. I tapered the full arm, shortened the sleeves, took in the waist, tapered the leg, and hemmed it.

hope this helps and good luck on your interviews

Very informative post. Thanks. :pimp:

Dressing Better folk, I need some help. I know the best bet is obviously go to the store and try out suits, but I just want to know the general size range I should be at when looking for a suit. 

I'm 5' 10' 5'11 and aroudn 155-160 pounds. Looking to buy a slim fit suit. What size ranges should I look at. Also what dress shoes would go good with a plain black suit. The suit will be for interviews. 

Probably a 38R or 40R, most likely a 38 though.

Don't get a black suit. Get a navy suit with brown shoes.

edit: As for a shirt, if you go with navy you can almost go with anything (except black) and it will look good.

Last edited:
Any online sites I can order those bracelets from?
Have you tried Etsy?

I see you have the Lakeshow in your sig...for sure Chinatown will have some. I bought several to give to the regulars on here, but alas they no longer carry anymore.

edit: As for a shirt, if you go with navy you can almost go with anything (except black) and it will look good.
It depends on his physique, but I doubt he's a 40. He may be a 36 even, but most likely a 38.

It depends on his physique, but I doubt he's a 40. He may be a 36 even, but most likely a 38.

Just speaking from experience, when I was younger I was 155 and 5'10 and I was a 40. Then again I'm also incredibly broad :lol:

Last edited:
What Etsy? I don't live in LA anymore
http://www.etsy.com/search/handmade...ge_rewrite=handmade+bracelet&original_query=2

Just speaking from experience, when I was younger I was 155 and 5'10 and I was a 40. Then again I'm also incredibly broad :lol:
I'm 5'9'' at 155 lbs (raw) 160 lbs (walking weight) and my chest only measures 37". :lol:

Damn man. I'm where I want to be now, 6'1 and 185 lbs, and wearing a 42R in most suits. All of my outerwear is 44 though, 42 is much too small.

Btw...hope you guys enjoy this. Ended up walking over to the diner on campus tonight with my girl. Since it was a quick trip, figured there was no reason to throw on a tie ( :lol: ) so I busted out a classic fit I would've rocked maybe just two years back just for old times sake..hope you all enjoy

#nostalgia |I
yes, I know this has nothing to do with DB, I just posted for da lulz

Last edited:
Btw...hope you guys enjoy this. Ended up walking over to the diner on campus tonight with my girl. Since it was a quick trip, figured there was no reason to throw on a tie ( :lol: ) so I busted out a classic fit I would've rocked maybe just two years back just for old times sake..hope you all enjoy

#nostalgia |I
Man, there is nothing wrong with the outfit at all! It fits in this thread fine because everything fits you properly. Thumbs up.

#nostalgia |I
Man, there is nothing wrong with the outfit at all! It fits in this thread fine because everything fits you properly. Thumbs up.
agreed.

Back
Top Bottom