Dressing Better Vol 2.0

trust man you will end up seeming like a huge d-bag if you just out of nowhere tell him he dresses horribly. it's one thing if someone asks for your opinion or advice but it's another to go out of your way to give it.

trust man you will end up seeming like a huge d-bag if you just out of nowhere tell him he dresses horribly. it's one thing if someone asks for your opinion or advice but it's another to go out of your way to give it.

I mean I wouldn't just go up to the guy and tell him he dresses horribly. That would be awful. :lol: I just wanted to politely let him know what he's doing wrong.

Anyways, thanks for the opinion man. I really appreciate it.

I agree with everyone else,best to leave him to his own devices,everyone has their own sense of style and what they like.I have done and still do some things that a lot of people in this thread would hate,I once wore argyle socks with sandals,shorts,and a blazer I'm sure people thought it looked ridiculous but I liked it and that's all that matters.

I mean I wouldn't just go up to the guy and tell him he dresses horribly. That would be awful. :lol: I just wanted to politely let him know what he's doing wrong.

there's no polite way to do it

No offense, but that holier than thou type attitude is the reason this thread gets as much flack as it does

laugh.gif
Dude has a point about wanting help someone else who is dressed terribly BUT we can all agree that it won't be received well from a stranger sometimes even friends.

No offense, but that holier than thou type attitude is the reason this thread gets as much flack as it does

I don't think I'm holier than anyone man. He was trying to dress nicely but was making a lot of mistakes. It's not about being a jerk and criticizing someone for having an awful outfit, it's about helping a friend/peer out.

Like I said, he's a friend. Not a great friend, but a friend. I don't want the guy looking ridiculous while walking around campus. I guess I'm so defensive because if I was doing something wrong I'd want someone to tell me. :rolleyes

Last edited:
I mean I wouldn't just go up to the guy and tell him he dresses horribly. That would be awful.
laugh.gif
I just wanted to politely let him know what he's doing wrong.

i say that if that's how he chooses to dress, then just let him do his thing. if his fit is really that bad, it can only make you look better.

it's not like one of those moments where your friend is about to approach some yambs, but has a booger up his nose. or when one of your friends smells bad on a particular day. no guy (well most
nerd.gif
)  wants to suffer that kind of embarrassment, so that would be a more appropriate moment to let them know that they're doing something wrong. if you didn't, that would make you a bad friend.

in your situation however, you'd be a better friend if you didn't say anything unless he asked. giving him your unwarranted input on a fit he felt comfortable in would do more harm than good. maybe he'll figure it out on his own and try to present himself better in the future, we've all been there.

very interesting topic you bought up, just thought i'd share my 0.02.

It's all good man. I'm sure you mean well, and if he's your friend he'll likely appreciate your advice..if it was a stranger on the other hand you're asking for trouble :lol:

Na you just gotta let those people rock...
Half the time they think they look fresh and then they'll just take offense...

For example...

My boy copped a suit for interviews and stuff.. My god does he look foolish... Way to big and the shoes were horrid!

But you can't tell him nothing when he's wearing it. He thinks he looks so good.

I got a pic but I can't out my boy like that :lol:

Last edited:
Plus if he's your friend and likes your style and he feels he needs help, he'll just ask you.

I don't think I'm holier than anyone man. He was trying to dress nicely but was making a lot of mistakes. It's not about being a jerk and criticizing someone for having an awful outfit, it's about helping a friend/peer out.

Like I said, he's a friend. Not a great friend, but a friend. I don't want the guy looking ridiculous while walking around campus. I guess I'm so defensive because if I was doing something wrong I'd want someone to tell me. :rolleyes

But what if he doesn't think its ridiculous and then you try to "help" him? That won't end well.

You just gotta realize not everyone subscribes to your idea of "dressing better." Let dude live...the key to your own style is being comfortable in it. Some may rock with it, some may find it wack. In the end, if you're dressing better for other people to notice and not for yourself, you're doing it wrong.

I wouldn't say anything, majority of people don't really give a damb, As long as they have a tie, a shirt and shoes,they feel they are dressed well and nothing you can tell them can change that....truth is there is a small percentage of men out there who actually worry about the small details like fit and such, pocket squares, tie bars, the right shoes, etc.

One day I walked into a store with my boy, I picked out some clothes for him, my dude looked sharp as fffff!...he looked in the mirror, laughed and said I was a metrosexual, took everything off and put on what he thought was fly, which is pretty much the equivalent of what your social studies teacher wears.

I wouldn't say anything, majority of people don't really give a damb, As long as they have a tie, a shirt and shoes,they feel they are dressed well and nothing you can tell them can change that....truth is there is a small percentage of men out there who actually worry about the small details like fit and such, pocket squares, tie bars, the right shoes, etc.

One day I walked into a store with my boy, I picked out some clothes for him, my dude looked sharp as fffff!...he looked in the mirror, laughed and said I was a metrosexual, took everything off and put on what he thought was fly, which is pretty much the equivalent of what your social studies teacher wears.

Does he have lady?

Anybody have experience with the J Crew Factory Herringbone Sportcoat? Some negative user reviews on Dappered have me scared off, but the $60 price tag is tempting.

Anybody have experience with the J Crew Factory Herringbone Sportcoat? Some negative user reviews on Dappered have me scared off, but the $60 price tag is tempting.

I wouldn't do it unless you can try it on and it fits you dead on w/o the need to alter.

Like everyone said, let them be.

Square-toed shoes are a plague, actually more like cold sores. They are ugly and a lot of people are "infected". Way too common. Plus the reason people rock Steve Harvey/Choppa suits is because believe it or not, people compliment them.

Dress for yourself, not anyone else. If people want help they will gravitate towards you, emulate and finally ask.

Use pomade, it doesn't make the hair hard like gel does. As TypeR said, American Fiber is a decent brand, they also have different types on how much hold you need and how much shine, I prefer matte myself, no shine. I use Kiehls creative creme wax or the molding paste. I'm pretty happy with it.
Also, last month I got a cut from a different spot and they have powder texturizer, it's totally awesome if you're going for the textured look.

In regards to hair...I use grants pomade and love it.
They have a Matte Pomade that is very similar to crew fiber but I like the Grant's version better. And if you're going for a more slick madmen style the medium blend is amazing. Its a family business and I've had a great experience doing business with them. They even featured one of my pictures on their facebook

Neat switchblade comb, dude. I've never seen anyone else with one besides myself. Everyone I show that comb to gets a laugh out of it. Definitely a cool conversation piece you can keep in your pocket at all times :lol:

Last edited:
Plus if he's your friend and likes your style and he feels he needs help, he'll just ask you.

this.

more and more of my friends are finally getting the courage to ask for help and are willing to be styled the older we get. the moment they finally ask for help though, feelsgoodman.gif :pimp:

Here's another invite only site, this one actually seems pretty cool. It's called Frank & Oak and everything is priced under 50 bucks, with the exception of a few sports coats. There's a 45% off sale going on right now

This is my invite link. link and a quick little write up I found on the site.

Frank & Oak is a young fashion brand taking a unique approach to online retail. Based in Montreal, Canada, all Frank & Oak pieces are designed, manufactured and sold directly by the company, through their website, at remarkably affordable prices. Similar to the popular brand Everlane, this direct-to-customer approach allows Frank & Oak to eliminate the markups that come with traditional retail distribution and bring quality goods to consumers at low prices. To make things more interesting, Frank & Oak offers a special membership through their “Hunt Club” with perks like the ability to try clothes on at home for no charge, 10% store credit with purchases and free returns.

To gain access to the Frank & Oak shop, you have to register for an account, but the process is quick and painless. Once logged in, you’ll note that the style of the brand is simple and classic. Oxford shirts, classic wool sweaters, blazers and ties come in a variety of colors and materials. And while the designs aren’t particularly daring or innovative, it’s the prices that really draw you in. Currently, there is a selection of $45 flannel shirts, $25 – $30 oxfords, $75 blazers and $50 hat and scarf combos, just to name a few. The complete line also includes other items, like pocket squares, wallets and more. An additional perk of Frank & Oak membership is the ability to earn store credit for referring friends to the service.

I personally, have purchased a wool scarf from Frank & Oak, for the very reasonable price of $30, and I have been quite pleased by the quality. As the pieces in the the Frank & Oak collections are limited and often sell out quickly, there is no link available to the exact item I purchased. Needless to say, it is simple a color variant of their other wool scarves, of which there are many. The bottom line is, for $30, I received an attractive, well made product that would have likely cost considerably more from other outlets, plus I got the satisfaction of supporting a young brand.

With regular membership with Frank & Oak, you have access to all of the brand’s items while they last, and membership is free. Also free is a special membership in their “Hunt Club”. This is a unique shopping experience that I think only major fans of Frank & Oak will really take advantage of. Basically, as a member of the Hunt Club, you will be sent updates monthly on new products by Frank & Oak, with the opportunity to select pieces that interest you the most. These items will be shipped to your house so that you can try them on. You then have the option of keeping/paying for what you like and returning what you don’t at no charge. As a Hunt Club member, you will receive 10% store credit for purchases made from the collection.

This is a pretty outstanding deal for someone who really loves what Frank & Oak has to offer, but may be more hassle than its worth for someone just looking to pick up the occasional item. Nevertheless, this unique approach to online retail membership is really quite interesting, and one we can certainly see becoming more popular with other online only brands as they work to gain further advantage over the brick and mortar retail operations.

worn&wound is all about quality at an affordable price, and we’ve made a point of highlighting watch brands that produce well-made, attainable timepieces. The same goes for the clothes and accessories we choose to purchase and wear. So if you’re like us, you should definitely check out Frank & Oak, for their timeless design, great prices and unique shopping experience.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom