Dressing Better Vol 2.0

What do you ya'll think of this watch? I'm looking for something that is cheap, leather band, and has a nice casual feel to it. Mainly going to be used in the office or when I wear button ups, sweaters, and what not. 

a lot of you guys are just posting a bunch of cool pieces that look awesome, but your clothes look better than YOU

I'm not sure what that means? Does that mean if you are ugly then you do not deserve good looking clothes/accessories?
I am not sure what "YOU" means in that statement.
nope, i knew someone wouldnt understand it, but I'm not talking about you being attractive or not, I'm talking about your clothes saying, "Hello, I'm (insert brand name). Oh, this guy? Yea he's with me"

YOU means you, like when people say "not everyone can wear everything"

i'm sure you know what i mean bro, its a difference, like when a girl says "I like your style" or "I like your (insert brand name) shirt"

idk, i guess what i was really trying to get at was that i think its over accessorizing, i have stuff to carry too, but it all fits in a zip-up leather binder
as a whole, i think most of the posts are losing focus, clothes are supposed to flatter you, YOU'RE wearing the clothes/accessories
a lot of you guys are just posting a bunch of cool pieces that look awesome, but your clothes look better than YOU
dressing better is all about looking natural and your pieces working, which is why many times the little GQ pieces or articles you guys try to pull off don't really work

I kind of feel you but I know you know that statements like this have the potential to open a can of worms.

Looking fresh out of a GQ shoot or something a long the lines of some of the fits posted here will never be my style, but we all know this stuff is subjective and it's tough to make a call like the bold above when talking about others.

In most cases I don't see see how a simple bag would be over accessorizing. Hell IMO a bag is the most practical accessory there is.
most cases I've seen in this thread aren't simple bags tho, they're super loud ornaments

Where can I get a navy or black peacoat that fits relatively slim, preferably under $100-$120? Tried on one at Old Navy (in a small) and it was way too bulky for me. Hated it.

Where can I get a navy or black peacoat that fits relatively slim, preferably under $100-$120? Tried on one at Old Navy (in a small) and it was way too bulky for me. Hated it.
H&M by me is running 50% off peacoats and theres a 20% code floating around. comes out to like $40. they have black, grey, and brown from what i can remember

nope, i knew someone wouldnt understand it, but I'm not talking about you being attractive or not, I'm talking about your clothes saying, "Hello, I'm (insert brand name). Oh, this guy? Yea he's with me"
i'm sure you know what i mean bro, its a difference, like when a girl says "I like your style" or "I like your (insert brand name) shirt"

Ding ding ding.

Style > Brand names

Great style is timeless.......Popular trendy brands come and go. Play on.

Much clearer now but I am not sure that is the case in this thread though. Most brands promoted here are discounted and are really not many would know what you were wearing. If you entered the high-end thread and said it to the monogrammed Gucci tees or LV belts then I would understand.

But a JCrew blazer for example, I am not sure anyone would come up to you and say "I like your JCrew blazer" because chances are it could be made by anyone because there isn't a distinct logo.

As for "I like your style", well that comes with the territory and if you want to change, then that will come hand in hand. I mean just because you grew up at a certain place with a certain look doesn't mean you can't move away from it and change. A new style and a new look will take sometime for others to identify you with. If you use to wear nothing but sweats and then start wearing button up and chinos, then that will take time for others to recognize you for that.

I get where you are coming from but the "brand" isn't really a good example because most of the clothes are can be considered brandless because there aren't huge logo or visible labels on the clothes promoted here.

And if it is not fitting "your" image, then I just see that as being wrong to be confined where people deem you should be, borderline prejudice really if people are "wrong" for trying something that is not considered for them.

Is what I am saying making sense? In this thread, you can't identify people with brands because in the real world people won't know what brand you are wearing. And if your "image" seems like it doesn't suit who you are because preconceived notion of what you should be wearing, then that is all wrong too. Everyone should be free to wear what they want and it should say nothing other than "this is me and I am confident in what I wear."

At least that is what I get from the post I quoted. Correct me if I am way off base.

Another rainy day in the Bay means whip out a North Face:

As far as bags go, this Pendleton has been what I have been using for work all year:

Ding ding ding.
Style > Brand names
Great style is timeless.......Popular trendy brands come and go. Play on.

But again, that makes no sense in this thread. People are told to stay away from big logos and distinct branding. A regular person isn't going to be able to tell a JCrew shirt from a GAP shirt, or a Levis chino from a JCrew chino.

You guys speak of timeless > trendy but really the classic clothes are the one being promoted here.

What trendy items are the regular peddling in this thread that will go out of style in a year or two? WJ4s classic shoes, cardigan and slacks? Pinoy732s tweed blazer with jeans?

I mean people ask "what shoes should I get" and we suggest Clarks DB (which is pretty normal and not really trendy) or classic blucher/derbies. Someone asks "what pants to get" and most suggest Levis or Alpha khakis that are always on sale for $30-$40 or less.

I think the things you guys are pointing are problems that doesn't exist or are a very minute portion of the thread.

So I ask, where is the problem?

I feel like it all comes down to being subtle. Doesn't have to be the simplest fit, it can be overly complicated. It just has to look subtle and not like you're trying too hard. Nice and clean look. Like dudes wearing suits with handkercheifs and all these other accesories. Yet they pull it off very well because they remain subtle. 

Personally, I rock with a pair of slim fit jeans and a plain colored v-neck. I could wear that combo everyday of the year. Very comfortable and simple.  If I'm going out, throw on a nice button shirt with some khakis or something. 

But again, that makes no sense in this thread. People are told to stay away from big logos and distinct branding. A regular person isn't going to be able to tell a JCrew shirt from a GAP shirt, or a Levis chino from a JCrew chino.
You guys speak of timeless > trendy but really the classic clothes are the one being promoted here.
What trendy items are the regular peddling in this thread that will go out of style in a year or two? WJ4s classic shoes, cardigan and slacks? Pinoy732s tweed blazer with jeans?
I mean people ask "what shoes should I get" and we suggest Clarks DB (which is pretty normal and not really trendy) or classic blucher/derbies. Someone asks "what pants to get" and most suggest Levis or Alpha khakis that are always on sale for $30-$40 or less.
I think the things you guys are pointing are problems that doesn't exist or are a very minute portion of the thread.
So I ask, where is the problem?

Personal preference, this wasn't a shot or a comment directed at anyone. You sound really defensive/protective, like something negative was stated.

If you develop your own style and buy things accordingly.....you are always good. I think it's more of a mentality.

Some people buy things strictly for the brand name and recognition they will receive.

I don't frequent this thread enough to point on specific fits or examples of people posting trendy items or styles.

It was a mere opinion.

I guess only the buyer/invidual knows the true reason why they purchase something.

Do they like the nice sweater.....or the polo logo on the sweater.

H&M by me is running 50% off peacoats and theres a 20% code floating around. comes out to like $40. they have black, grey, and brown from what i can remember

The quality of the Peacoat is horrible though. I would recommend the cropped GAP peacoat, there's a few nice ones at Macys as well

Personal preference, this wasn't a shot or a comment directed at anyone. You sound really defensive/protective, like something negative was stated.
If you develop your own style and buy things accordingly.....you are always good. I think it's more of a mentality.
Some people buy things strictly for the brand name and recognition they will receive.
I don't frequent this thread enough to point on specific fits or examples of people posting trendy items or styles.
It was a mere opinion.
I guess only the buyer/invidual knows the true reason why they purchase something.
Do they like the nice sweater.....or the polo logo on the sweater.

Nah, I am not offended or being defensive at all, I can see how that can come off online but that isn't the case. I just like writing long replies at times. But I really am trying to understand where it is coming from though because it seemed to be a comment that was used to criticize something or has stemmed off from this thread but that doesn't make much sense to me.

Like I said, if this were the high-end thread, I'd agree with you and that is not a shot at anyone because I am very active in that thread but I can admit it as a flaw. But for this thread, everyone is looking for a bargain. I always use the Docker Alpha Khakis deal, people always suggest it because they are cut well and can be found on deep discount and that is made by Dockers for gods sake. Dockers are associated with granpas and golfers that wears their pants like MJ.

Not many here jumped on the MMM x H&M collab and they are mostly hitting 50% off now. Again, I am just not sure where it is coming from. People like JCrew here because they make nice clothes that fit them and also because they go on sale and can stack student discounts and can be considered classic, not just because it is JCrew.

If that sounds defensive then I apologize. I am just a guy typing his thoughts on the discussion and nothing else. I've said it before and I'll say it Ninja is the only dude he gets me riled up on NT so until you see me rant and rage against him, then you really haven't seen me be defensive. :lol:

Much clearer now but I am not sure that is the case in this thread though. Most brands promoted here are discounted and are really not many would know what you were wearing. If you entered the high-end thread and said it to the monogrammed Gucci tees or LV belts then I would understand.

But a JCrew blazer for example, I am not sure anyone would come up to you and say "I like your JCrew blazer" because chances are it could be made by anyone because there isn't a distinct logo.

As for "I like your style", well that comes with the territory and if you want to change, then that will come hand in hand. I mean just because you grew up at a certain place with a certain look doesn't mean you can't move away from it and change. A new style and a new look will take sometime for others to identify you with. If you use to wear nothing but sweats and then start wearing button up and chinos, then that will take time for others to recognize you for that.

I get where you are coming from but the "brand" isn't really a good example because most of the clothes are can be considered brandless because there aren't huge logo or visible labels on the clothes promoted here.

And if it is not fitting "your" image, then I just see that as being wrong to be confined where people deem you should be, borderline prejudice really if people are "wrong" for trying something that is not considered for them.

Is what I am saying making sense? In this thread, you can't identify people with brands because in the real world people won't know what brand you are wearing. And if your "image" seems like it doesn't suit who you are because preconceived notion of what you should be wearing, then that is all wrong too. Everyone should be free to wear what they want and it should say nothing other than "this is me and I am confident in what I wear."

At least that is what I get from the post I quoted. Correct me if I am way off base.
i understand, but at the same time you're projecting, im not trying to say wear what people say looks good on you, im saying wear what you like but since this is the "dressing better" thread i thought some might have been going for what looks good on them

so if someone wants to wear a polka dot speedo, they can wear it, but they might look better with the red pair instead of the white pair, or the tights as opposed to the euro trunks

just because your jcrew blazer is a subtle piece still doesn't mean it looks good on you

Nah, I am not offended or being defensive at all, I can see how that can come off online but that isn't the case. I just like writing long replies at times. But I really am trying to understand where it is coming from though because it seemed to be a comment that was used to criticize something or has stemmed off from this thread but that doesn't make much sense to me.
Like I said, if this were the high-end thread, I'd agree with you and that is not a shot at anyone because I am very active in that thread but I can admit it as a flaw. But for this thread, everyone is looking for a bargain. I always use the Docker Alpha Khakis deal, people always suggest it because they are cut well and can be found on deep discount and that is made by Dockers for gods sake. Dockers are associated with granpas and golfers that wears their pants like MJ.
Not many here jumped on the MMM x H&M collab and they are mostly hitting 50% off now. Again, I am just not sure where it is coming from. People like JCrew here because they make nice clothes that fit them and also because they go on sale and can stack student discounts and can be considered classic, not just because it is JCrew.
If that sounds defensive then I apologize. I am just a guy typing his thoughts on the discussion and nothing else. I've said it before and I'll say it Ninja is the only dude he gets me riled up on NT so until you see me rant and rage against him, then you really haven't seen me be defensive. :lol:

Nah it's all good, I know how it is.....I don't use emoticons or expressions on NT or via texting enough (I've been told...."lol" is something I just can't bring myself to type). Thanks for the explanation.

My comment wasn't directed at folks in here more so just a general comment....sometimes I see someone that has style and I see others that just buy the popular catalog or items off the manican.

I've just always appreciated individualism and creativity that goes into an appearance.

I've always like Wallabees for the past 14 years.......my interest in them hasn't waned or changed over the years.

i understand, but at the same time you're projecting, im not trying to say wear what people say looks good on you, im saying wear what you like but since this is the "dressing better" thread i thought some might have been going for what looks good on them
so if someone wants to wear a polka dot speedo, they can wear it, but they might look better with the red pair instead of the white pair, or the tights as opposed to the euro trunks
just because your jcrew blazer is a subtle piece still doesn't mean it looks good on you

Ok yah the way you said it there makes more sense. But with that said, no problem with trying though, no? I mean we all have to experiment til we get where we want to be. So it may take looking like a douche for wearing a JCrew blazer (not pointed at anyone so take no offense) til they find that it doesn't work for them, then that is the process. People post here and if it looks like crap, we tell them. Others may agree and others may not but at least it was pointed out.

Another thing is that some may not think it looks good while other don't. This was the big discussion a month or so back. Some said 732 was overdressed while others said he wasn't so it is a thin line to figure out if something does look good on you or not because for the most part, style is subjective.

I just don't really see it in this thread. Sure, there are some people that want or need direction or others that see a certain item, whether it's a brand or article that's specific, want to wear it just because and it can be forced. I'd think and it definitely seems like people in here go for a style over just a label though. People will definitely have an item in mind for whatever reason, it's rarely clearly obvious that it's just for the name...I don't think people in here are that focused on things that they're wearing specifically because the brand will get them noticed.

Regardless, that can and does happen in every segment of clothing type...whether you want to call it a demographic, genre, style (in a different sense, not personal style). Hipsters, urban or hip hop, business wear, whatever else.

Oh yeah when I said by some carry a purse, some do carry bags like this:

And believe me, I went to Barneys this weekend to check out the sale in person and I'd say 1 out of every 4 of the guys were carrying a bag like that. Again nothing wrong with that, it's their choice but it's not for me.
If I really do carry something, it'll be one of my slingbacks backpack, a simple duffle or a little travel bag but I have done that once mainly because I just use my camera slingback bag, I just start to look like a tourist.
Those are a bit over the top. The whole broke wrist thing that my man Robert Downey is sporting, also the bag above, are a bit too femme for my taste.

Here's my flavor,
[table][tr][td][table][tr][td][table][tr][td]
Rucksack_262_0.jpg

[/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table]
http://www.unionmadegoods.com/filson_Rucksack_262_2064.html
[table][tr][td]ZOOM: Backpack in Waxed Navy[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Backpack_in_Waxed_Navy_0.jpg
[/td][/tr][/table]
http://www.unionmadegoods.com/Stanley_&_Sons_Backpack_in_Waxed_Navy_5452.html

And my fav company, il bisonte
[table][tr][td][table][tr][td][table][tr][td]
Small_Maremmana_Backpack_in_Cognac_0.jpg

[table][tr][td][table][/table][/td][/tr][/table]
http://www.unionmadegoods.com/il_bisonte_Small_Maremmana_Backpack_in_Cognac_4990.html

that bag breaks down to this size, 
[table][tr][td][table][tr][td] [/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td][table][tr][td][table][tr][td]
Small_Maremmana_Backpack_in_Cognac_0.jpg
Small_Maremmana_Backpack_in_Cognac_2.jpg

Last edited:
whats great about the quality of this thread is that we have people that come from all walks of life.

sure there are similarities amongst our styles and likes but its not like we are all rocking ToJ leather jackets, APC jeans with Tricker Boots.
There are definitely some bargain shoppers on here who will frequent brands like H&M and Gap, while others will be posting recent pick ups of Balenciaga and MMM Gat trainers.

So yea i can understand why you posted that comment (i.e. i hate dudes who solely rock Polo for the fact its Polo) but in this thread, i just don't see anyone falling into that category.

Last edited:
Speaking of Bags, I just brought this one a few days back.

Was supposed to get her today but UPS missed the package |I :lol:

Now I'm kinda salty should have just paid the extra fee and got the one with the sailor rope

I got it in the same color the straps are just a darker color.

whats great about the quality of this thread is that we have people that come from all walks of life.
sure there are similarities amongst our styles and likes but its not like we are all rocking ToJ leather jackets, APC jeans with Tricker Boots.
There are definitely some bargain shoppers on here who will frequent brands like H&M and Gap, while others will be posting recent pick ups of Balenciaga and MMM Gat trainers.
So yea i can understand why you posted that comment (i.e. i hate dudes who solely rock Polo for the fact its Polo) but in this thread, i just don't see anyone falling into that category.

I agree with this 100% but please don't put GAP and H&M on the same level :smh:

Back
Top Bottom