Dressing Better Vol 2.0

I think expensive weddings are a total waste of money. That money should be going to something to make sure you and your spouse have a good foundation.

I saw those pics on IG it sure does look good I can't deny that.
I'm with you. In the past year I've been to about 10 weddings and all of them have been on the bigger side. Very materialistic to me when I sit back and observe it all. Different strokes though. Can't say I didn't have a great time either
laugh.gif

OK guys I start grad school in the fall for a highly ranked professional program and I have some major growing up to do in regards to my wardrobe. Here is a list of things that I need according to both personal preference and various fashion blogs:

Light grey suit- I wear a 38/39R but my arms are EXTREMELY long so the tailor has to let all of the material out of the arms ha
Navy Blue double-breasted blazer
Black wingtip dress shoes
walnut wingtip dress shoes
a pair of brown loafers
a silver tie bar
A starter gold/silver jewelry set (bracelet and chain)

From this point forward, I think I can find my way, but I need you guys help in finding these "foundation pieces" to rally get my professional wardrobe going. Where can I find these items in my size and for cheap (or as cheap as possible)?

I already have a great fitting navy blue suit (matching vest) , an OK fitting black suit (matching vest), good brown wingtip shoes, gold tie bar, and pretty good selection of ties. I'm not too worried about my sweater game, that should be easy to improve. I also have an OK watch selection (small but classy). I have various colors of chinos.

PLEASE HELP! GOTTA GLO UP ONE DAY! BANG

I will be looking at about $1000 to play with for now. After that is spent I will purchase things as my budget allows

Last edited:
It was a destinación wedding :lol:

Joint was cheap as hell considering how it was...about 18k spent on everything, rings, dress, tux included suits were Zara and we wore Toms, you don't have to blow crazy amounts to have something beautiful, just need good taste and patience to do your research, believe me I know people who spend 5x more and get married in your typical hall....

Not to be that guy.. But a lot of what you are mentioning doesn't really seem like staples in a professional wardrobe. Not sure the profession... But generally speaking captoes may be better professionally than wingtips at first. And a single breasted navy blazer probably makes more sense than a double breasted blazer. Of course this is assuming you don't already have a well fitting navy blazer and captoes. Of course it is all personal preference... This is generally speaking

Last edited:
OK guys I start grad school in the fall for a highly ranked professional program and I have some major growing up to do in regards to my wardrobe. Here is a list of things that I need according to both personal preference and various fashion blogs:

Light grey suit- I wear a 38/39R but my arms are EXTREMELY long so the tailor has to let all of the material out of the arms ha
a pair of brown loafers
a silver tie bar

From this point forward, I think I can find my way, but I need you guys help in finding these "foundation pieces" to rally get my professional wardrobe going. Where can I find these items in my size and for cheap (or as cheap as possible)?

I already have a great fitting navy blue suit (matching vest) , an OK fitting black suit (matching vest), good brown wingtip shoes, gold tie bar, and pretty good selection of ties. I'm not too worried about my sweater game, that should be easy to improve. I also have an OK watch selection (small but classy). I have various colors of chinos.

I will be looking at about $1000 to play with for now. After that is spent I will purchase things as my budget allows

A couple of questions first.

Why a navy double breasted blazer? Although double breasted blazers are becoming more and more popular they can be seen as a bit too ostentatious in a professional program. My question is do you want these because it's what blogs are saying or is it something okay in your field?

The gold/silver jewelry, is this personal preference or a blog suggestion? I ask as a bracelet and necklace seem as an odd addition.

My suggestions would actually be the following:

1. As you already a navy suit make sure you get double duty out of it. Pair it with khaki, gray, olive trousers for example.

2. Since you seem to have long arms, go the MTM route. Depending on size look into Thick as Thieves, my other suggestion would be Indochino, Black Lapel or Dragon Inside. If you are near a SuitSupply try them as well. Likely $500-600 here. Indo's essential gray is a nice option. I would go with a peak lapel option.

3. In regards to shoes look into Allen Edmonds Seconds, great quality and at about $169-$200.

4. Swap out Walnut wingtips for brown wingtips IMO they are more versatile.

5. Loafers brown or walnut.

6. Tie Bar, personally I've gotten mine at either J. Crew Factory or eBay for a few bucks.

I'm with you, man. I don't even have a lot of friends and family members to invite from the start. I would rather kill that house in 15 yrs instead of 30 with the guap.

I've only been to one wedding and it was my cousin's back in the homeland. She did it big. Two ceromonies. One in the morning for family and the evening one for all. Probably 500 people in attendant for that one. Cake was like 8 ft high. Hired make up artists from famous houses. Guests flew in from various countries.

As I looked around, I was thinking...dang. I wouldn't even know who to invite :lol:

I would just love a small and intimate wedding on the beach or something of that nature. As long as I can wear Foams I'll be good.

I'll make my answer simple to the wedding question lol...I don't know how much we spent, I don't want to know either. I will say that we had 2 ceremonies, a Hindu ceremony and a traditional one.

I've said it to others before, including my wife, I would marry her again in a heartbeat but I would not do our wedding ever again.

a pair of brown loafers
a silver tie bar

Why do you need a gold bracelet and chain lol?

How about a decent and inexpensive watch?

Why do you need a gold bracelet and chain lol?

How about a decent and inexpensive watch?
I just LOL'd. Yes, you can find a nice Seiko from Costco for around $150. I just bought a new beater for daily wearing myself, kept it under a grand.

Paid about 15k total for our wedding. You find ways to cut corners.
I can do $15k.

It still boggles the mind. Even if someone makes an OK salary, let's say $80k annually, not too farfetched for most professionals with several years of experience I think. After taxes, savings, etc. you're not left with much. After living expenses, and that, you don't even have that much to save for this 'bucket' unless you plan it out years in advance.

With that said, one of our own is getting married tomorrow. My man Brandon AKA NCtwin (or something like that)...the cat with Sonic as the avatar.

:pimp: salute.

a pair of brown loafers
a silver tie bar

Congrats on grad school admission and best of luck 

1. Light grey suit- I wear a 38/39R but my arms are EXTREMELY long so the tailor has to let all of the material out of the arms ha

Light grey could be subjective, but I would recommend a darker grey suit if this is for daily rotation, it works better for all seasons and can be easily paired with shirts and ties 

Recommendations would depend on budget and location:

If you are looking for something sub-$200, you should check out Zara, H&M or Express 

$300-$500: Indochino or Suit Supply; my preference would be the latter 

$500+: You can probably find a good MTM / custom suit; I've never tried them but members here speak highly of Thick as Thieves, if you're in the NYC area, I'm happy to recommend you the place I go to 

2. Navy Blue double-breasted blazer

Would this be for wearing with trousers and a dress shirt? I would suggest going with a single-breasted blazer. Double-breasted suits and blazers are still uncommon in professional settings. For a single-breasted blazer, I would check out your local J.Crew, I picked up a great navy wool blazer with their 50% off clearance, came out to about $90

3. Black wingtip dress shoes, walnut wingtip dress shoes, a pair of brown loafers

As someone mentioned, cap toe dress shoes are great "foundation" shoes, wingtip shoes can be too ornate and take away from an outfit. I would check out the AE at your local outlet, Nordstrom Rack may have some good deals and if you are ok with pre-worn shoes, I would check eBay, you can sometimes find steals for gently worn shoes  

4. a silver tie bar

I've never worn a tie bar so I cannot opine; I may be bit old fashioned but I've always thought tie bars were too flashy for work / professional settings 

You definitely do not need; if you are looking for accessories, I would look for a more subtle watch  

Last edited:
@sarteaga0408  He said he already has brown wingtips but I was gonna comment on that anyway.  Nothing against wingtips, I have a few pairs but @firered18  why 3 pairs (brown, black & walnut) of strictly wingtips?  Go for a little more versatility.

Also, he said as cheap as possible so suggesting MTM isn't the best idea long arms aside.  He should buy a couple R & L suits, try them on and compare, even post pics if necessary.  Some people exaggerate their physical features...****, tons of dudes think they have broad shoulders but really they're normal. 
laugh.gif

Go with a single breasted blazer as a first option.  Double breasted should be for when you expand.

Agree that I don't understand the bracelet & chain as a necessity, especially in a professional setting.

I didn't see any mention of shirts though...at least 2 white & 2 light blue, I'd also go with a few subtle patterns and throw some color in there but NOT bold Express type shirts and not black shirts either.

@sarteaga0408
 He said he already has brown wingtips but I was gonna comment on that anyway.  Nothing against wingtips, I have a few pairs but @firered18
 why 3 pairs (brown, black & walnut) of strictly wingtips?  Go for a little more versatility.

Also, he said as cheap as possible so suggesting MTM isn't the best idea long arms aside.  He should buy a couple R & L suits, try them on and compare, even post pics if necessary.  Some people exaggerate their physical features...****, tons of dudes think they have broad shoulders but really they're normal. :lol:

Go with a single breasted blazer as a first option.  Double breasted should be for when you expand.

Agree that I don't understand the bracelet & chain as a necessity, especially in a professional setting.

I didn't see any mention of shirts though...at least 2 white & 2 light blue, I'd also go with a few subtle patterns and throw some color in there but NOT bold Express type shirts and not black shirts either.

Completely missed the fact he has brown wingtips so I do agree. I would add maybe a suede pair of shoes as well.

I went the MTM route considering what sounds like hard to fit features. Plus if it's a suit that he is going to wear often may as well make it something that will retain it's shape better than the usual fused stuff out there.

I believe he is good with shirts and ties as well so I assume has a bit more cash to spend on a suit due to not having to fill that void.

In regards to the necklace, I think it's one thing if it's something religious or not something easily seen, however, otherwise it may come off a bit ostentatious. I personally do wear a necklace but it's usually always hidden. Definitely agree with the watch versus a bracelet.

Some deals to be had at J. Crew today. Just ordered a couple shirts online.
LAWD. Popovers on decckkkkkkkk
I wish popovers would fit me better....shoulders too wide

:frown: The ones I am interested in are not apart of this sale...

Maclister boot is though. Def worth it at $65
https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category...se&isFromSale=true&isNewSearch=true&hash=row1

I got these for 32 out the door recently.

Some deals to be had at J. Crew today. Just ordered a couple shirts online.
LAWD. Popovers on decckkkkkkkk
I wish popovers would fit me better....shoulders too wide
frown.gif
The ones I am interested in are not apart of this sale...

Maclister boot is though. Def worth it at $65
https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category...se&isFromSale=true&isNewSearch=true&hash=row1
I got these for 32 out the door recently.
https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category...ue&isFromSale=true&isNewSearch=true&hash=row3

Bennet Chukkas for $60, do these fit TTS?

eek.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom