Dressing Better Vol 2.0

hope someone can help me out.

can someone find me a decent shirt and tie combo to go with a grey suit? the suit is on the avg to darker grey side. im kinda sick of just wearing a plain white shirt and tie and wanted to do something a bit different. i was leaning towards a smaller check purple gingham shirt. what kind of tie would i put with something like that?

also, with grey suit, should i be going black shoes and belt or brown?

thanks in advance.

If you are below 225, you can easily slide into a L-XL. In your case, just like mine, you will have to find a tailor to slim down your shirts. Anywhere from $5-10 depending on your tailor.
do you just get the sides taken in or do you also have the arms slimmed down as well? i have shorter arms so a lot of the time sleeves are a bit billowy. 

all the tailors ive tried have charged $25 for both but im always curious on how much people pay for alterations...

can someone find me a decent shirt and tie combo to go with a grey suit? the suit is on the avg to darker grey side. im kinda sick of just wearing a plain white shirt and tie and wanted to do something a bit different. i was leaning towards a smaller check purple gingham shirt. what kind of tie would i put with something like that?

thanks in advance.

Grey is a very versatile color. You could do black or brown with it. Personally I'd probably roll with brown.

If your shirt is going to be gingham, then I feel the tie should be a solid color.

do you just get the sides taken in or do you also have the arms slimmed down as well? i have shorter arms so a lot of the time sleeves are a bit billowy. 

all the tailors ive tried have charged $25 for both but im always curious on how much people pay for alterations...

Most slim fits fit my arms perfectly, so that is unecessary. $25 doesn't sound unreasonable for both. Taking in a shirt usually runs me $5-10.

Mojo - You have a lot of options at your disposal, like the idea of the purple gingham. Definitely go with a solid tie. Grey suits give you a lot of rope. Personally I would go with brown shoes/belt.

Peacoat suggestions PLEASE!

I'm looking for one too, man. In a perfect world, that BR Bond Peacoat would be mine but unfortunately I don't really want to spend that right now.

I know it will be the only one I'm content with though. :frown:

Peacoat suggestions PLEASE!
http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=78&products_id=361

I'm looking for one too, man. In a perfect world, that BR Bond Peacoat would be mine but unfortunately I don't really want to spend that right now.

I know it will be the only one I'm content with though. :frown:
I don't get this. If you know it will be perfect then why try to wait for a sale or markdown? Just spend the money on it.

I actually just left j crew. Copped a few shirts. They having a 25 percent off sale on all fall items

Anyone know of a spray or something to remove smoke and other smells from clothing? I don't feel like going to the dry cleaners every time I go to bars

I hate the way the febreze smells that my mom buys. Is there a non scented febreze?

Last edited:
Yes there is. You could also hang it outside and air it out. What type of clothing is it?

thanks in advance.

Go with brown, although if you could post the shade of gray the suit is, it would be more helpful. Go with a solid purple tie, knit if possible.

Finally wearing these tonight. NFL is back and breaking in new boots :pimp:

Yeah I'd try airing it out first, in the shade away from direct sunlight.

You can also try a steamer or hang it in the bathroom while you shower and let the steam press them. The shower steam trick is supposedly a good way to get rid of wrinkles when traveling with a single suit too.

Thanks I'll give that a shot. Only thing about airing it out is that it stinks in my neighborhood so I'll probably have a new set of stank to deal with.
I thought about using a steamer too, I looked it up and some people are saying you shouldn't steam your suits because it'll mess up the seams on it.

Back
Top Bottom