Dirk Nowitzki Ready to Opt Out... per sources/Marc Stein (*Breaking News*)

I hope Dirk actually does what's best for his chances to win a title, meaning signing elsewhere. Coming back to Dallas at a bargain price is letting his loyalty rob him at a chance for a title.

You trying to say DJ Mbenga and Antoine Walker are better than Dirk cause they have titles? Most of those dudes on that list are role players at best. Antoine Walker is a joke, Van Exel was good here but still a roll player.

It's an objective list.

And all those #1 players, with the exception of the Piston yrs, I would argue are better than Dirk or where at that time. First thing that separates them right away is the ability (willingness) to play both ends of the court.

ANd by the way, 2. 2 suck %!% series, both of which resulted in having The Mavericks go down in the annals of time under dubious records (#1 seed to lose to an 8, 2nd MVP (only other was Wes Unseld) to get eliminated in 1st rd, 1st team to go up 2-0 in finals then lose 4 straight, 1st team to lose as a 1 to the 8 AND as a 2 to the 7). In both series, he let himself be guarded by guys who give up 20-30lbs and 4 inches or more to sub 38%FG shooting.

And Antoine Walker was a fine enough #2 option in 2006 when he was the Heat's 2nd (3rd?) leading scorer as they sunk the Mavs.

Any chance he would go to OKC...They do have the cap room
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

nerd.gif

Terrible fit. Can't see him and Durant working well together...

But anyways, everybody knew Dirk would opt out. All these guys always do. It's good business to keep your options open and opting out allows them the oppurtunity for more money. I don't have any doubt he'll be back, though I honestly wish he'd go somewhere to play with another legitimate superstar and all this "You can't win with him" nonsense could come to an end. Pair him with a Wade or LeBron and they're gonna do some damage...  

And it'd be nice to stop having this annual illusion of the Mavs being contenders and finally rebuild this thing instead of rearranging deck chairs every year...

I'm leaving the rest of this nonsense alone.

smile.gif

Very interesting summer indeed...

I can't point a finger on where Dirk will be headed though....

Why would you wanna leave a team that had the 2nd best record in the Western Conference though?

Originally Posted by DipsetGeneral

Why would you wanna leave a team that had the 2nd best record in the Western Conference though?
Because they've been bounced in the first round three outta the last four years and have very little chance to add the kind of piece they need to get this thing where it needs to be in order for him to have a shot at a championship during his prime?

I can't imagine he'll leave, but I certainly wouldn't blame him if he decided to get off a sinking ship before he goes down with it.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

nerd.gif

Terrible fit. Can't see him and Durant working well together...
I think your underrating Dirk's ability to fit in, I think he would take a backseat to Durant.  Can't see how a 6'10 guy with unlimited range is a terrible fit.  I think he would be good at PF with Ibaka covering up for his defensive deficiencies next to him.  Jeff Green is better suited to come off the bench imo.

More like 7'0, but if he came we would have to play him at center which has its pros and cons. We could get away with it against most teams. He'd have to buy into playing defense though, but we play a quasi-zone very help oriented d most of the time so it should lessen some of the load on him to learn.

It's more important to look at Brendan Haywood in free agency and trying to steal Javale McGee from Washington though.

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

More like 7'0, but if he came we would have to play him at center which has its pros and cons. We could get away with it against most teams. He'd have to buy into playing defense though, but we play a quasi-zone very help oriented d most of the time so it should lessen some of the load on him to learn.

It's more important to look at Brendan Haywood in free agency and trying to steal Javale McGee from Washington though.

You don't think Ibaka is ready for a starting role next year?

At the 4, but that'll mean pushing JG to the bench. Russ, Harden, KD, Ibaka, Dirk would not be a bad lineup. I don't like pushing Jef to the bench but I hate him guarding 4s too, so I'll bite the bullet on that. And yes, I just pushed Thabo out of the starting lineup.

where would he fit in?

i think we'll have to see what teams throw together in order to make a good decision.

i think he'd be good wit tim duncan

i think their games fit each others a lil

duncan would have to play center though so dirk would be pf

dirk cant play sf theres too many good (and quick) scoring sf's around the league that i dont think would be good matchups for him

i think it would be easier for him to guard pf's like he does now.

duncan could play low post and dirk could be high post/top of the key

Duncan/Dirk is probably the best combo out there IMO. The Spurs still need to get younger in the rest of their lineup though

Originally Posted by True Blues

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

No one expected Nash to leave Dallas, but he did. I wouldnt count out Nowitzki going to a team with another legitimate superstar (ie Lebron, D12,) or even to Phoenix to re-team with Nash, especially if the resign Amare.

COMPLETELY different. Nash, we wanted to retain, and we COULD have retained if we would've paid the money, but we decided not to. It's well-known (at least by Dallas fans) that Mark basically said "look, we would love to have you back, but we can't pay you the money that Phoenix is offering, we wish you the best." Dirk, we're going to keep if money is an issue. If he wants to move on to try and find a ring, so be it. It'd be interesting to see what direction this franchise takes if he does leave though.
Revisionist history by Mavs fans.

Cubes refused to pay $60 million for Nash, but subsequently signed Erick Dampier for $73 million.

Which goes back to what I said about Cuban not making the right moves at the right time.
I admit that Steve Nash was getting ate up in the playoffs before he left Dallas, but we let him go with no clear cut idea to replace him.

Cuban has made a lot of personal decisions when it comes to personnel and front office moves. 

He held on to Josh Howard way too  long. Should have got rid of Dampier or at least got another big man that has two feet and two hands.

Besides if u really understand whats going on in Dallas, then u know Cuban is just interested in putting on a good 'show'.

Not really winning a championship. Thats why Shaq went to Miami instead of coming to Dallas when he left L.A.

Thats why Chris Bosh doesn't have Dallas on his list of teams and HE IS FROM DALLAS!

Originally Posted by Mr S J King

No one expected Nash to leave Dallas, but he did. I wouldnt count out Nowitzki going to a team with another legitimate superstar (ie Lebron, D12,) or even to Phoenix to re-team with Nash, especially if the resign Amare.

COMPLETELY different. Nash, we wanted to retain, and we COULD have retained if we would've paid the money, but we decided not to. It's well-known (at least by Dallas fans) that Mark basically said "look, we would love to have you back, but we can't pay you the money that Phoenix is offering, we wish you the best." Dirk, we're going to keep if money is an issue. If he wants to move on to try and find a ring, so be it. It'd be interesting to see what direction this franchise takes if he does leave though.

Cubes refused to pay $60 million for Nash, but subsequently signed Erick Dampier for $73 million.
Which goes back to what I said about Cuban not making the right moves at the right time.
I admit that Steve Nash was getting ate up in the playoffs before he left Dallas, but we let him go with no clear cut idea to replace him.

Cuban has made a lot of personal decisions when it comes to personnel and front office moves. 

He held on to Josh Howard way too  long. Should have got rid of Dampier or at least got another big man that has two feet and two hands.

Besides if u really understand whats going on in Dallas, then u know Cuban is just interested in putting on a good 'show'.

Not really winning a championship. Thats why Shaq went to Miami instead of coming to Dallas when he left L.A.

Thats why Chris Bosh doesn't have Dallas on his list of teams and HE IS FROM DALLAS!

the reason Bosh doesnt want to come to Dallas is because of all the leaches, everyone is gonna try to get something off from him.

Originally Posted by marionthebarberian

Originally Posted by Mr S J King

the reason Bosh doesnt want to come to Dallas is because of all the leaches, everyone is gonna try to get something off from him.
He should be over that by now. 'No' should be the first word in his vocabulary.

players need to smarten up ... boston got 3 hall of famers ... u're not gonna win by urself ... dirk needs to bounce ... lakers r too stacked , celtics r too stacked ... these free agents better sign together .. or stay losing w/ their current team b/c they're loyal

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

and all those guys aren't really the second scorer type guys you need to win a championship, to win a chip you need two basically franchise players, two guys capable of being the number one option in an offense. Look at all the past winners and see if there second options resemble Caron #!$$$*$ butler or Jason Terry.

Kobe, Pau
Garnett, Pierce
Duncan, Manu
Shaq, Wade
Chauncey, Rasheed
Shaq, Kobe
Jordan, Pippen
Hakeem, Drexler
Hakeem*
Isiah, Dumars
Magic, Kareem

People don't understand, championship teams have two players who could be number one options on winning teams.

The "2nd option" 90% of the time are former franchise players or future hall of famers, you don't win chips with Caron Butler as your second option, just doesn't happen. Hakeeem Olajuwan and Tim Duncan are really the ONLY guys history who have won championships without a reliable second option. Jordan never did it, Shaq, nor Kobe. 
Pretty much agree with you besides what happened in 2004 with the Pistons. While Billups did win MVP in the Finals, can't over look what Rip Hamilton provided on offense and Big Ben's defense when he he still had DPOY defense. Very interchangeable imo. And I would say their level of "franchiseness" were lower than the other teams listed and that's why they needed that depth to win the the ring.You were also referring to offense really, but most of the players played good/great defense too. Just something I wanted to add I guess. 

Now in regards to Dirk, I honestly believed he wouldn't be able to win a ring with him being the #1 franchise player because as unstoppable he was on offense in regards to scoring, he didn't have that great defense on the other end to stop a Duncan or Garnett, and because he couldn't create for his teammates effectively and efficiently. I see Dirk being the "2nd option" guy if he wants to win a ring. But that doesn't take away from how great he has been this past decade. I'm sure Dirk fans might disagree with me, but I was dreaming when I thought Webber was going to lead the Kings to a championship with his legit 25-10-5 stats, but then I realized KG was dropping something like 30-15-8 himself on Webber. Of course, I really hoped that the Kings were one of those teams like the 2004 Pistons with the interchangeable franchise players in Bibby and Peja. Nope, needed a Big Ben on defense not a flopping center...           

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

and all those guys aren't really the second scorer type guys you need to win a championship, to win a chip you need two basically franchise players, two guys capable of being the number one option in an offense. Look at all the past winners and see if there second options resemble Caron #!$$$*$ butler or Jason Terry.

Kobe, Pau
Garnett, Pierce
Duncan, Manu
Shaq, Wade
Chauncey, Rasheed
Shaq, Kobe
Jordan, Pippen
Hakeem, Drexler
Hakeem*
Isiah, Dumars
Magic, Kareem

People don't understand, championship teams have two players who could be number one options on winning teams.

The "2nd option" 90% of the time are former franchise players or future hall of famers, you don't win chips with Caron Butler as your second option, just doesn't happen. Hakeeem Olajuwan and Tim Duncan are really the ONLY guys history who have won championships without a reliable second option. Jordan never did it, Shaq, nor Kobe. 

I typed this exact same thing damn near in the thread about Lebron not being that great.  Its like speaking a foriegn language to some individuals though
smh.gif

It wouldn't make much sense long-term, I'd love to see both Dirk AND Ray Allen sign with the Suns as the ultimate F-U to Cuban after Cubes let Nash walk away prior to winning back-to-back MVPs.

Could you imagine a PHX lineup of:

Nash
Allen
Dirk
Amare
Lopez

No D but they could finally succeed by just flat-out outscoring everyone to win.

Come to LA Dirk, we'll teach you how to win. 
wink.gif

Come off the bench behind Bosh, spell Gasol for stretches, run the second team with Odom. 

Bosh
Gasol
Artest
Kobe
Fisher

Dirk
Odom
Walton
Brown
Farmar
Sasha
Scrub

I can dig it. 
laugh.gif

This offseason better live up to the hype.  I wanna see mass movement, not everyone just re-signing with their same ol clubs. 
smh.gif

Dirk is a better player than Bosh and Gasol, why would Dirk be moved to the bench? (Yes, I know your lineup is pure hypothetical)

Originally Posted by clkru

It wouldn't make much sense long-term, I'd love to see both Dirk AND Ray Allen sign with the Suns as the ultimate F-U to Cuban after Cubes let Nash walk away prior to winning back-to-back MVPs.

Could you imagine a PHX lineup of:

Nash
Allen
Dirk
Amare
Lopez

No D but they could finally succeed by just flat-out outscoring everyone to win.
Learn how the salary cap works.

Back
Top Bottom