Dirk Nowitzki Ready to Opt Out... per sources/Marc Stein (*Breaking News*)

I thought everyone expected Dirk to opt out in order to secure a better contract than if he tried next year.

I couldn't see him leaving.

Originally Posted by MJsaver

Wouldnt he leave like 20 mill on the table though.

It would probably be only 3 million or so for this next year, but would guarantee him about 50 more million in the long run.

Originally Posted by JPZx

Originally Posted by tmoney85

or even Rose (who has ALWAYS played well in the playoffs)
Son he has only two playoff series under his belt.
laugh.gif

I get what you mean though.
two playoff series with THAT kind of stats.  Cmon man he played lights out. I mean the Cavs were scratching their heads on how to stop him.

Thats an underrated - underappreciated aspect of a player.  Gotta love players like Rondo, Fisher, Glen Davis, Rose, Ginobli, Andre  Miller etc. that just seem to come through in the playoffs no matter what their overall role is. 

Then you got guys like Mo Willams who hide in the playoffs when it matters most.

now that I think of it, does Dallas have room for a max player like Bosh. In that case, Bosh + dirk (Birk rights) + S&T with Damp's contrACT FOR Joe Johnson.... ummmmm???

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Anyone that can opt out and get more money will this offseason because of the new CBA.

I don't see Dirk leaving but I also don't see the mavs getting a big name this offseason to help him. So who knows

Exactly.

I cant even imagine Dirk in another jersey. Hes been a Mavs all his career, and i dont see that changing anytime soon.

Originally Posted by PharelFor3

now that I think of it, does Dallas have room for a max player like Bosh. In that case, Bosh + dirk (Birk rights) + S&T with Damp's contrACT FOR Joe Johnson.... ummmmm???
No they don't.  And no that won't happen.

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

Originally Posted by franchise3

it's more him opting out to get an extra year, no trade clause, etc probably.

That's how I see it.
Yup, Dirk isnt going anywhere.

Originally Posted by Fundamental21Ticket

How about Dirk reuniting with Nellie
embarassed.gif

Nellie might not even be there. Especially since his has the win record and they might be selling the team

if dirk wants to win a ring then he better make a move.. he probably got 2-3 good seasons left in him then he'll just be another mediocre has-been who needs to retire

While it might be a smarter move for him to leave in terms of winning, I would be surprised if he did not re-sign with the Mavs.

No one expected Nash to leave Dallas, but he did. I wouldnt count out Nowitzki going to a team with another legitimate superstar (ie Lebron, D12,) or even to Phoenix to re-team with Nash, especially if the resign Amare.

Whatever happens, I hope he puts a clause in his new contract that states that he will not play with little doofuses named J.J.

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

Originally Posted by franchise3

it's more him opting out to get an extra year, no trade clause, etc probably.

That's how I see it.
Yup, Dirk isnt going anywhere.
I think he will at least consider some other opportunities.  It seemed pretty clear from the press conference after the loss to the Spurs.

Mavs fans....would you be content in keeping Dirk with the possibility that he's further away from a championship in Dallas, or would you be ok in seeing him leave to get a better shot at getting a ring? Can you respect his decision as a player if he decides to leave?

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

I always think back to that KG quote that I read a few days back in reference to his days in Minnesota....

"Loyalty is something that hurts you at times, because you can't get youth back. I can honestly say that if I could go back and do my situation over, knowing what I know now with this organization, I'd have done it a little sooner."

Mavs have reached their plateau IMO...they've tried a bunch of different moves (player-wise), but the combos just never seem to work. It's smart of Dirk to do this. If he wants to win a ring, his best bet might be elsewhere.
As true as that is, KG's situation that hurt him was MUCH different that Dirk's situation. The Mavs have tried to make moves that work; T-Wolves made bonehead move after move. They disassembled a team 2 years removed from the WCF and #1 playoff seed; the Joe Smith debacle; they drafted Brandon Roy and traded him to Portland. Think about B-Roy and KG on the same team! The list just goes on about the T-Wolves ...

Dallas really has tried, and no one can say that they didn't try to surround him with the right pieces. Yes, they have made some dumb moves, but still, the 2006 team were a bunch of over achievers, and were 80 Wade free throws away from winning the whole thing. And to whoever brought it up, no, Nash was not on the same level in Dallas as he was in PHX. Then again, I can't exactly say that it was smart to get rid of him though ...

I will say though, that if he leaves, here's to him going to Chicago, Orlando, or San Antonio ...

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Mavs fans....would you be content in keeping Dirk with the possibility that he's further away from a championship in Dallas, or would you be ok in seeing him leave to get a better shot at getting a ring? Can you respect his decision as a player if he decides to leave?
Not only would I respect his decision to leave, I WANT HIM TO LEAVE.
This franchise has not done enough to help him get what he deserves, and thats a NBA Championship.
Yeah we got to the finals, but it was all on his back, and Pat Riley just decided to beat Dirk up every game and it worked.
It worked because he had no one to fight with him. It was clearly 5(Heat players)+3(refs) against Dirk at all times.
Even Jordan needed teammates that would rebound when needed, hit big shots every now and then, get his back when things got dirty.
Dirk hasn't had that. There have been times when I talked bad about Dirk for being soft, but nobody gets busted up more than him and still performs.
Cuban has owned this team for 10yrs. and still hasn't done anything to give this team a real force in the paint, offensively or defensively.
Dirk deserves better but Cuban is too selfish to give it to him.

Back
Top Bottom