Delete

How Many Games Will The Lakers Win With Mike D'Antoni?

• 40-49...They're Going To Get Worse

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-59...Good Enough For A Solid Seed, Not Too Shabby

• 60-65...Top Seed and Impressive Record, Thumbs Up

• 66-70...Scary Good, All Teams Are Now Officially Scared

• 71+...Might As Well Cancel The Playoffs

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jim Buss decided for the Los Angeles Lakers to hire Mike D'Antoni instead of Phil Jackson largely out of a concern that the triangle offense would have pushed Steve Nash out, according to sources.

Buss thought hiring D'Antoni would trigger the Lakers' offense by reuniting him with Nash.

"The way this turns out," one league source connected to the hiring process said, "you've chosen not only Steve Nash over [Pau] Gasol, but maybe over Gasol and Dwight [Howard]."

If the Lakers had hired Jackson, the offense would be running through Gasol, Dwight Howard and Kobe Bryant in the post.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/Yahoo! Sports

before we fire MDA

can we trade Jim Buss?

this is the worst part

which sounds more like a winning formula to you?

was buss drunk or what?

to top it off we were two bonehead kobe plays away from possibly beating the thunder in the playoffs. remember we choked two of those games away late in the game

yeah thunder playoffs were close games... could have won. wasnt a complete blow out...

to top it off we were two bonehead kobe plays away from possibly beating the thunder in the playoffs. remember we choked two of those games away late in the game

don't forget Pau's 3 footer.

oh wait he passed it back to kobe for a turnover.

asdkasndaskdnasas

If you try to tell me Mike Brown can coach, you go on Ignore, no questions asked. I don't give a flying **** that in the East he got past a Piston team coming off an extra 6 years of conference final runs.

Show me what he did against Pop, Stan and Doc. He died, every time. 60+ wins, up in flames.

Lastly, I haven't once said D'Antoni is some great coach, pretty sure you ain't seen me say that, but he DID introduce a style of play that is widely being used all over the NBA now. Pick and roll, spaced out, 2 man game with shooters spotting up. Phoenix ran it really well for several years. Other teams have adopted it. It's the NBA version of the West Coast offense in the NFL which has several variants, same thing here.

Nobody copies a damn thing Brown ever taught.

I think Jim Buss should beg and give whatever Jackson wants before Seattle picks him up and before LA riots Jim's house after media puts all the blame on him

Pretty staggering really......we were literally 10 hours from Phil waking up Monday morning and coaching the Lakers again.

:smh:

Okay, I know I defend Mike like a family member sometimes but Mike Brown? Same guy that had LeBron playing to the pace of the 90's Knicks? Yeah, the best open court player since god knows when doing that.

Please don't compare D'Antoni to him. The start to the 2010 season with Amare in NY is forgotten but he actually did overachieve in New York for a little while. Taking Amare/Felton/Gallo/Chandler/Fields group (the one and only group he actually entered training camp with and was sustained for a handful of months) to an above .500 record before Carmelo came to town was a nice accomplishment, no matter what anyone says.

Phoenix is well documented. Sarver isn't cheap or they don't have bad luck with injuries or suspensions - nobody is doubting his 'system' being able to win at the highest level. He actually was able to hold his own tactically in series with Greg Popovich.

The current Knicks still have kept a ton of concepts from him, the Heat borrowed from him years later, Pop himself borrowed from him. Think anyone is borrowing anything Mike Brown brought to the table?

I get that he's not helping matters. He does need the right pieces to making things, he's stubborn, can fail to communicate and does not adapt well, but please...he is not Mike Brown.

edit: CP beat me to most of my points. Smart man.

Last edited:
Great point about Sarver.

MD won 60+ a year with their core and Sarver cost them Joe Johnson, Rondo, Deng, + other draft picks he sold. Add 1-2 of those pieces to the Suns core, they may have a title or 2 out in Phoenix.

Mike Brown took

Shannon Brown
Daniel Gibson
Drew Gooden
Larry Hughes
Žydrūnas Ilgauskas
LeBron Jame
Damon Jones
Dwayne Jones
Donyell Marshall
Ira Newble
Sasha Pavlović*
Scot Pollard
Eric Snow -
Anderson Varejão
David Wesley

To the NBA Finals and had the NBA best record for years after that, he earned his rings with the spurs as a assistance. Show me want D antoni did in the league?

In a trash Eastern conference you forgot to mention.

Eh...Brown had Fisher as a starter and we were holding opponents to 95 ppg

In addition to Goudelock, Mcbob and Troy Murphy coming off the bench. With Barnes not 100%

Not really an all defensive team but it was enough

Someone said a while ago that we would have been a .500 team or better if Brown was kept and i completely agree

You people musta bumped your damn heads remembering Mike Brown fondly and ****. :smh:

Dude panicked up TWENTY FOUR POINTS in NOVEMBER. :stoneface:

Allen, outside of D'Antoni teachings and such, can you offer ANY explanation for why he does lineups like this?
To start the second quarter, Pau, Jamison, Clark, Morris, Duhon. On the bench, Kobe, Dwight, Nash, Artest. :lol:

To start the fourth quarter, Ron at center (wtf?) Jamison, Clark, Meeks, Duhon. On the bench, Kobe, Nash, Pau.

WHY would he do that? I've been asking everybody I know what the hell the point of that is? There is no rule that you MUST sit 3 HOFers at once, I checked. Nothin in the rule book that says you have too. So why the gosh damn hell does he keep doin that? Give Pau a freaking guard for the love of God. Give him Kobe or Nash to either feed him, play off of him, handle the ball for him. Morris and Duhon line up 30 feet from the hoop and try and make entry passes, or run criss crosses with each other like the defense is gonna be fooled or something. Then Duhon lines up in his Rock and Jock spot up 34 footer, and launches. He shoots from so far away that even when he shoots with 6 on the shot clock, the red light comes on by the time it lands. ****. :lol:

You got any guesses?

So look at this. The last few years, moves the Suns made that cost D'Antoni.

Traded the draft rights to Deng
Traded the draft rights to Nate Rob
Traded Marcin Gortat (then got him back years later)
Traded the draft rights to Rondo
Traded the draft rights to Rudy Fernandez
Traded the draft pick that netted Serge Ibaka
Traded the draft rights to Dragic (then got him back years later)

And they let Joe Johnson walk, for nothing if I remember correctly.

Nash, Amare, Stat, Bell, Diaw, Thomas, Jackson, Barnes, Barbosa, Kurt Thomas, and if they add any 1-2-3 of these players, imagine how good they could have been. I don't even care which 3. Just pick the worst ones if you'd like, they'd still help that roster out pretty damn well.

So MDA may not have the hardware we all covet, and he is rather bafflling, but it's not all his fault. His owner did him ZERO favors.

Switch the owners, if the Buss family had those draft picks, and that roster, they keep damn near every one of them. Including Joe Johnson. It would have butterfly affected some of those picks, they would have been lower some years, but it still could have netted them an Ibaka, or a Deng, or heaven help us a Rondo to learn under Nash and Mike.

That is an UNREAL run of horrible luck selling draft picks. Read that list again. :smh: Thank God for Robert Sarver. :lol:

No logical trade scenarios thus far.

WHY are you here? No one gives a **** what you think, get the hell out of here. We discussin business, no trolls needed.
Cant troll the truth, multiple LA media outlets have said there is no logical trades right now. Dont like it? Block me.

Block these nuts. You don't belong in a team thread, get the hell out. No trolls allowed. I don't give a **** what LA media says, we ain't LA media, we discuss whatever we like. We don't need trolls like you comin in here posting **** that don't add to the convo in any way shape or form. The Knicks fans that pull thru got NBA on their minds, talkin ball, topics, advancing the convo's, you aren't doing ANY of that, so be gone. Get gone.

Block these nuts. You don't belong in a team thread, get the hell out. No trolls allowed. I don't give a **** what LA media says, we ain't LA media, we discuss whatever we like. We don't need trolls like you comin in here posting **** that don't add to the convo in any way shape or form. The Knicks fans that pull thru got NBA on their minds, talkin ball, topics, advancing the convo's, you aren't doing ANY of that, so be gone. Get gone.

Take it easy on him. clearly he has forgotten that he is no longer a laker fan as of 2012 and is now a clipper fan :lol:

im surprised couplet88 has lasted long in this thread. im just waiting for him to return to his laker hatin self at anytime :lol:

Yall are being a bit unfair to Mike Brown.

He lost to San Antonio, Boston & Orlando when, after Lebron, the next 3-4 best players were on the other team. You guys should know after the '08 Finals & the 2nd round against the Mavs that it's impossible to win like that regardless of the coach.

And against OKC, Kobe literally threw Game 2 away & Gasol did the same thing in G4. I can't blame the coach for his 2 best players have complete mental breakdowns like that.

Last edited:
Jim Buss decided for the Los Angeles Lakers to hire Mike D'Antoni instead of Phil Jackson largely out of a concern that the triangle offense would have pushed Steve Nash out, according to sources.

Buss thought hiring D'Antoni would trigger the Lakers' offense by reuniting him with Nash.

"The way this turns out," one league source connected to the hiring process said, "you've chosen not only Steve Nash over [Pau] Gasol, but maybe over Gasol and Dwight [Howard]."

If the Lakers had hired Jackson, the offense would be running through Gasol, Dwight Howard and Kobe Bryant in the post.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/Yahoo! Sports

before we fire MDA

can we trade Jim Buss?

He basically salivated over an aging point guard over favoring 3 other players in Howard, Bryant and Gasol. But in all honesty, Jim hates Phil. He wants to build his own legacy without having his dad's name or Phil's name attached to it. Well Jimbo, you've failed at that. It's unfortunate that he let his own pride get in the way. Not saying Mike D'Antoni is a bad coach, he's not but his coaching does not fit our roster. We don't have the wing players and 6'6-6'9 players who can play all 5 positions. With our age and personnel we are built to play the half court set. Nash is a smart player, he could adapt to any offense. He can still play the pick and roll with Dwight and Pau in a half court game. Pau is a miraculous passer especially in the post. Pau and Dwight would do wonders down in the paint where big men should be. Say Phil didn't take the job, I say we should have just stayed with Bernie or Eddie Jordan. But the damage has been done. I'm not sure we can turn this around.

Back
Top Bottom