Delete

How Many Games Will The Lakers Win With Mike D'Antoni?

• 40-49...They're Going To Get Worse

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-59...Good Enough For A Solid Seed, Not Too Shabby

• 60-65...Top Seed and Impressive Record, Thumbs Up

• 66-70...Scary Good, All Teams Are Now Officially Scared

• 71+...Might As Well Cancel The Playoffs

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
 ​
Been seeing a lot of this lately and it's starting to bother me. Everytime he does that two hands gesture kind of like a shrug...
mean.gif
The worst part is that he constantly complains on plays that aren't even fouls.

And even if they were fouls, he should still shut his damn mouth because he gets 6 bogus free throws per game on phantom calls.

You also have to realise that he is a media darling. He let's the media attend the full practice, so naturally the media has nice things to say to him.

I've wondered about that. The New York media is the harshest in this country. And even in NYC I always felt like Dantoni got a huge pass. His post game comments deserve harsh criticism. They just constantly let him slide and didn't ask him hard questions.

Him and his southern drawl puts the media in in big cities a trance?

the lakers will get up for those knicks games. I say we split.

Last edited:
I used to make my work schedule, even social schedules revolve around watchin the games.
Now I dont even care. Its an atrocity to watch this much talent go to waste.
If someone told me the Lakers would start 9-12 before the season started, I would have taken that bet. And lost obviously.

That Laker locker room is a mess right now Im sure.
And even at this point ofnthe season its just the beginning of a downward spiral.
No fixin. Team built for title contention? Far from it.
At the rate we goin right now we finish 32-50. At best.
9th or 10th in the conference.

Kobe being a "roamer" is just an excuse for being lazy. He does not even get that many steals to justify it and his help defense is non existent.

Kobe being a "roamer" is just an excuse for being lazy. He does not even get that many steals to justify it and his help defense is non existent.

As much as I defend Kobe's defense, he's been slacking since his MVP year.
He hasn't really played defense since. I guess he just doesn't have the energy
to score AND play D. But still, he used to be a stud up until 09.

Lakers' inconsistent defense is a killer

On one hand, the L.A. Lakers are 9-12, 5 1/2 games behind the Clippers in the Pacific, in 11th place in the West, eight games out of first place, 2-6 on the road, having played five more home games than road games to date.

On the other hand ... nah, let's focus on that first hand for a while.

This is bad. This isn't a Small Sample Size Theater production any more: 21 games is more than a quarter of a season. It is at this point of the season that we start to get a sense of teams' true identity. Surprisingly decent teams who should be bad tend to fall off. (Hello, Bobcats. Meet the 2010-11 Cavaliers.) Surprising mediocre teams who should be great break out. (Great to hear from you, 2010-11 Heat.) Things come together, and the season begins to show real definition.

The Lakers enter this zone of the season on a two-game skid, giving up a combined 231 points to the Thunder and Jazz. Sunday's loss to Utah came at home, which is particularly odd: the Jazz are terrible on the road -- they had been 3-9 away from Salt Lake, with the wins coming in Toronto, D.C. and New Orleans -- and the Lakers had been passable if not good at home -- 7-5 with a solid margin of victory before the loss. Why would the defense crumble the way it did?

It's been a recurring theme, actually: the defense has been really, really erratic.

The best judge of a team's quality is scoring margin. Win-loss record is a crude implement. In win-loss record, a two-point squeaker counts the same as a 25-point blowout. We know that wins of those types indicate different levels of quality: the team that wins the blowout did a better job, even if both accomplished their goal (a win). If we're looking at multiple games and we need a single number to tell us whether a team is good or bad, scoring margin can do it. A positive scoring margin is like a good win-loss record ... and the larger, the better. A negative scoring margin is like a bad win-loss record ... and the further from zero, the worse.

In the aggregate, over 21 games, the Lakers have a scoring margin of ... +3.1, which is roughly second-tier in the NBA. (It currently lands No. 8 in the NBA.) Using the Pythagorean theorem (brought to sports by baseball mastermind Bill James), you can determine that a +3.1 scoring margin through 21 games indicates a 13-8 record. The Lakers are not 13-8. They are 9-12.

Looking at individual game results helps ascertain why there's such a discrepancy: the Lakers' wins have a tendency toward blowout, and their losses are typically closer affairs. In the team's nine wins, the average margin is 17 points. L.A. has three wins of at least 20 points (and two of them, against the Mavericks and Warriors, came against decent teams). The Lakers' average margin in the team's 12 losses is -7. Eight of the 12 losses were single-digit affairs, compared to just one of the nine wins. The Lakers typically win blowouts and lose squeakers.

You know all of those studies that show "clutch" is basically a unicorn gene and that close games are more often than not toss-ups, no matter what Kobe Bryant fans scream? Those same studies say that, assuming nothing truly funky is going on, the Lakers' record will come around eventually, based on margin of victory. Scoring margin is a better implement than win-loss record, and scoring margin says the Lakers are currently the No. 8 team in the league.

But there is something funky going on -- nothing that will prevent L.A. from making the playoffs or even necessarily going deep. The Lakers' defense is just incredibly inconsistent. It's had some of the best performances in the league this season ... and some of the worst. This chart shows L.A.'s offensive and defensive performance game by game. Obviously, it's better for points scored per possession to be higher and points allowed to be lower.

LakersGamebyGame.png

There are some outliers for L.A.'s offense (the diamonds), but it's pretty much tightly grouped around league average, skewing slightly above. (The Lakers have the No. 7 offense in the NBA.) The defense? It's all over the place. The data shows that the defense indeed has a greater variance than the offense on a game-to-game basis. The best defenses over the years tend to be pretty consistent. That's the thing about defense: effort is such a big part of it that it's hard to go "cold" on that end. The Lakers are proving that theory wrong. (By the way, the Lakers have fallen to No. 15 in defense after the two-game skid. A team with three-time Defensive Player of the Year Dwight Howard and perennial All-Defense honoree Kobe Bryant, at No. 15 in the league in defense.)

This is where all of those worries about how little time Mike D'Antoni reportedly puts into practicing defense makes you sweat (if you happen to be one of those people who actually want the Lakers to succeed). Consistency comes from preparation, from confidence, from effort effort effort. I'm not sure we saw any of that on Sunday in L.A.'s loss to Utah, let alone all of it. And, spoiler alert, Steve Nash is not going to fix the Lakers' defensive consistency. So while the win-loss record will eventually catch up to the team's true character (that of a good team), and while the offense will look nicer when Nash is cutting around and taking a load off of Kobe, there's a legitimate chance that this inconsistent defense will be the death of the Lakers. At this point, it's hard to imagine them slowing down the Thunder, Spurs, Knicks, Clippers or Heat enough in a seven-game series to win four.
Link

Last edited:
there is something funky going on -- nothing that will prevent L.A. from making the playoffs or even necessarily going deep.
PLAYOFFS?

Playoffs?

I just want to win a game.

:\

:smh: I feel like our 2005 squad with Smush and Kwame was putting out a better effort on a nightly bases. That squad was hot garbage but at least they were giving it their all. Close games whether win or lose.

These days we have this "talented" squad and were always playing from behind against lottery teams. Something's just off, I don't know how you can put it all on the coach. How many coaches is it gonna take to admit that our players are just slow, lazy, and old for the most part. These guys just don't have it the way we thought they did, I'm sorry to say. It's still early so I'm not throwing in the towel, it's an effort thing. If they play harder with more passion and energy the results will change. But what's it gonna take? I have no clue. Maybe being 9-16 after this road trip will scare them straight. You would think 9-11 was already embarrassing enough to care more, but obviously not. They don't seem to care as much as we do, and it's a damn shame.

Lets see when this nightmare ends and we can actually put a solid string of consecutive wins together... Hopefully sometime before the world ends. :smh:

I'm going to re-watch the Jazz-Laker game. If ya'll don't hear back from me, you'll know why.

you know things are bad when you legitimately cant expect a win in CLEVELAND of all places just because kyrie might be back for his first game :smh:

So basically Mike "NO D" Antoni is 4-6 and we fired Mike Brown after 5 games with a 1-4record? Next up to coach the lakers?

Still hope? :nerd:

The Lakers haven't crossed the 20-game mark with a record this far below .500 since Shaq-and-Kobe-and-Co. started 8-13 in 2002-03 ... after L.A.'s three-peat.

Back
Top Bottom