Delete

How Many Games Will The Lakers Win With Mike D'Antoni?

• 40-49...They're Going To Get Worse

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-59...Good Enough For A Solid Seed, Not Too Shabby

• 60-65...Top Seed and Impressive Record, Thumbs Up

• 66-70...Scary Good, All Teams Are Now Officially Scared

• 71+...Might As Well Cancel The Playoffs

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I looked at Pau's stats and compared them to 2007/8 the year he was traded to Lakers.
Offensive Rebounds are up
Defensive Rebounds are up
Assists, Steals, Blocks, Turnovers are within .1 - .3 of each other in either direction
Offensive Rebound Rate is up
Defensive Rebound Rate is up
Total Rebound Rate is up
Usage Rate is down about 1.5%
Where he has seen trouble..
Is he's currently shooting 16% worse from the field
He's shooting .6 3pointers a game as compared to a total of 1 in those 27 games in LA. In 08/9 he took 2 all season.
He's taking 1 more shot a game, but 2 less free throws..
If he just shot an average of 53%. He'd have 1.6 more FGM per game, or 3.2 more ppg.
So he'd be just as good defensively, and 17 ppg, he averaged 18.9 ppg in 2007/8 with the Lakers & Grizz
Something has to be done with the rotation. Finding the right place for Pau where he is not losing his position at the hoop, and he's the second, rather than the third option would give us a reasonable Pau of the old.
17, 9 & 3, is great from the third option.
Also from 2010-11, which was probably the same as his prior years his shots in the paint are down 15.3% (Restricted are down 10% of shot distribution... The rest of the paint down 6% of shot distribution).
Need to find him a new rotation where he can be that guy for 15 or so minutes... If that means playing him strictly with the second unit for the 2nd and 3rd quarter exclusively.. Then so be it.
He's obviously slowed down a bit.. But from looking at it, I don't think it is as much him being bad, as it is him being not used properly to adapt to his age.
but you are forgetting the most important difference:  his vagina is 2cm larger and much softer.

All depends on if Ebanks comes back to back up Ron, otherwise as you said, we'd need to use Jamison at the 3. That or we push Kobe to guard bigger stronger guys more. Neither is ideal.

I'm good with Jamison at 3 for SMALL stretches. Say there's a dead ball with 1:21 left in the quarter. You already have him in at 4, but you could bring one of the bigs back in and slide him over to 3. A small enough stretch, 2-3 possessions each side of the ball. You limit the damage he could be out of position. Putting him at the 3 at the 6 minute mark and riding out the quarter is just not smart.

Stuff like that, like I just mentioned, is what Phil MASTERED. Every second, every possession, every situation, he knew the combo. And with that, his players did too, and learned their roles from that. It's the biggest reason I was so vocal on MB. He knew none of that stuff, never prepared for any of those oppurtunities.

From what I remember of D'Antoni, he had that in Phoenix, he picked on and maxed out advantages. Guys on that squad knew their roles and filled them fine. So I think we'll be ok, but I want some time watching him and his patterns before I fully get on board with him. There's still questions with him, there would be none with Phil. That's the gamble that makes me a tad nervous still, but I at least know Mike will get the offense working, whereas Brown could never get anything defensive from our roster which was supposed to be his strong point. Mike D will get us buckets, that will not be a concern. (once Nash is there to run the point for him)

I wonder if Phil pushing for more power was really a power move for Jeanie, since she was not selected to run the team. If he got the power, he could let her make decisions and show her father she should run the ship.

CP, I completely agree w/ what you're saying about Mike D taking full advantage of patterns/roles/rotations. I think for you TFMBers, it will be a refreshing change to watch something closer to the full roster being utilized. I mean, one of the most effective Suns was Barbosa... a bench player. That wasn't happening w/ MB; I get that. One of the most painful Laker memories was Tim Thomas. That same play, w/ MB at the helm? Timmy's riding the pine and Amare is on like minute 41 for the game. I get that, and it will be nice seeing Mike D analyze then get the most out of Meeks (UK :smokin), Hill, Glock Duhon, Jamison, etc.

I still have reservations about him getting the most out of Blake & Pau; we picked up D'Antoni, not Jesus.

Last edited:
CP, I completely agree w/ what you're saying about Mike D taking full advantage of patterns/roles/rotations. I think for you TFMBers, it will be a refreshing change to watch something closer to the full roster being utilized. I mean, one of the most effective Suns was Barbosa... a bench player. That wasn't happening w/ MB; I get that. One of the most painful Laker memories was Tim Thomas. That same play, w/ MB at the helm? Timmy's riding the pine and Amare is on like minute 41 for the game. I get that, and it will be nice seeing Mike D analyze then get the most out of Meeks (UK :smokin), Hill, Glock, etc.

I still have reservations about him getting the most out of Blake & Pau; we picked up D'Antoni, not Jesus.
:frown:

Edit:

@ArashMarkazi Mike D'Antoni will be introduced to the media after practice today around 2pm. It will be live on @ESPNLA710

Last edited:
D'Antoni likes having short rotations though. If you're not one of "his guys", he won't give your *** minutes.

That being said...he's smart enough to understand he can't get away with that **** now because his predecessor didn't.

I am aware that Mike uses short rotations, and that will be my first observation of him. It's first on my agenda.

I hope he doesn't go 8 man only, I hope for at least 9, but I would prefer 10. In the playoffs (if we get there, the "pretenders" that we are) then you can go down to an 8 man if needed, but only at optimum health. 8-9 is the bare min with an aging team like ours.

If he had the time, I would like him to find roles for Morris, as I talked about the other day, bothering the opposing PG's for stretches, take minutes off their legs, use him as a defensive guy with his length, again, not 6-7 minute stretches, but 2 minutes here and there with Kobe and Dwight on the floor to help him out on both sides, ya know? Those are minutes that help him, but also save someone else. It's what I wanted from Ebanks, Morris, and Glock last year. Helps them, saves others. **** like that adds up.

What a freaking joke that a Clipper fan of all people starts proclaiming their team contenders after 8 games, and the Lakers pretenders after 8 games. That's why you're a Clipper fan. Cuz you don't know jack **** about the NBA other than your pathetic franchise. :smh: Just plain stupid people out there man.

"Your LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS: come celebrate their early successes, because celebrating in June is for... 'those other guys'."

:lol:

Contenders and Pretenders under 10 games? :lol:

November basketball. It's fun. Atleast you know who the idiots in this board..

I dont know about y'all but Im still sad about the CP3 deal not being approved. Could have had a line up of Paul, Kobe, ____, ____, DHoward.  Thats pretty much 3/5 players on all 1st or 2nd team defensive teams.
tired.gif
plus, lakers were apparently due to get Beasley as a follow up to that deal.

anyhow, back to reality. Someone should seriously make a video of all the dumb plays by Darius Morris.

Laker brothers, stay in here and complain about the Clipper fans if you want, but do NOT go in their thread.

Why?

Cuz then they come in here, that's why. I think what was said was stupid too, but I'm not going to chase them down in their thread to tell em about it.

Save that for the Spurs thread. Actually, hold that, leave that for me. :lol:

Just keep out of Clip thread, say what you want in here, where it's safe.

Back
Top Bottom