Delete

How Many Games Will The Lakers Win With Mike D'Antoni?

• 40-49...They're Going To Get Worse

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-59...Good Enough For A Solid Seed, Not Too Shabby

• 60-65...Top Seed and Impressive Record, Thumbs Up

• 66-70...Scary Good, All Teams Are Now Officially Scared

• 71+...Might As Well Cancel The Playoffs

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
2 days are going to hurt me the most as a fan...

The day Kobe plays his last game...

The start of the new season and the lineups are called...without him.
It won't hurt as much when Lawrence Tanter says "LeBron James" or "Kevin Durant" :lol:

jk....that day will cut deep when Kobe isn't there anymore.

It'd be great to get those guys. Especially Lebron over KD. Don't see it happening though. We have a better chance of getting Westbrook.

So if the Lakers get into the playoffs...I think Kobe deserves some SERIOUS consideration for MVP.

Once Kobe retires and we get a new cat and he scores 50 il be like :stoneface:
Kobe averaged 50 for some amount of games.

Why woudl Kobe in the D-League?

17 year old who was the 2nd High School basketball player taken in the past 30 years out of high school. The First guard. Completely unproven. Not even college experience to fall back on. Hell if you can recall, the fact that he chose to jump to the NBA out of HS was met with a lot of backlash. He was also playing behind all stars.

With all that being said, IMO it would be common sense to put him down in the D League for some time to prove whether or not he could hang on the professional level rather than rolling the dice and sacrificing real game time to see if he could hang in the NBA. Especially when they were title contenders who didn't really have the time to see if a high schooler could hang in the NBA. They were in win-now mode.

no he wouldnt have

he was jones backup at the 2 spot

next up is 35 year old byron scott

:stoneface:

He averaged 15 minutes a game his rookie year. He wasn't playing much. Fresh out of High School on a championship contender. IMO if the D League is around back then, they would have probably drafted him for the future, sent him down to the D League, and found a more reliable backup than a 17 year old kid out of high school.

:lol: nah its not too farfetched

he came in at a time where hs kids are considered a huge gamble

he played 7-10 mins during the b eginning of the season but started getting ~20 a game a while later

Last edited:
2 days are going to hurt me the most as a fan...

The day Kobe plays his last game...

The start of the new season and the lineups are called...without him.

It's gonna be a sad day. I really thought next year would be his last but if he keeps drinking that Benjamin Button juice who knows.

he played 7-10 mins during the b eginning of the season but started getting ~20 a game a while later

:lol: exactly.

You guys are Lakers fans so you guys already know the backlash that came with trading a rotation player in Vlade for an unproven high school guard. The first guard ever taken out of high school.

With that backlash, it would have been extremely likely that at least for parts of the season that Bean would have spent time in the D-League proving himself to the Lakers and the rest of the League.

Kobe in the d league :lol: crazy to think about

Kobe's trolling, if he's playing this well now, he's playing another 3 years.
He's gone on record about not wanting to hang around if he's not at an elite level (think Vince Carter, who's still good but not elite).

Just real difficult to imagine him being elite for another three seasons. One more after this season, sure. Two, I guess, but three is asking for a lot.

:lol: exactly.

You guys are Lakers fans so you guys already know the backlash that came with trading a rotation player in Vlade for an unproven high school guard. The first guard ever taken out of high school.

With that backlash, it would have been extremely likely that at least for parts of the season that Bean would have spent time in the D-League proving himself to the Lakers and the rest of the League.

Kobe in the d league :lol: crazy to think about

West said he could be an NBA all star from day 1, Kobe would have never spent 5 minutes in the DLeague. He was on the team to learn and grow as a pro with the best of the best, not beating up a bunch of scrubs he could have torched in college.

West knew exactly what he was doing. The minute, and I mean minute Kobe looked ready to go, he moved Eddie Jones. And he said the day Kobe was inserted into the starting lineup, oh boy, we're never going to get him to come off the bench ever again. And they didn't.

West said he could be an NBA all star from day 1, Kobe would have never spent 5 minutes in the DLeague. He was on the team to learn and grow as a pro with the best of the best, not beating up a bunch of scrubs he could have torched in college.

West knew exactly what he was doing. The minute, and I mean minute Kobe looked ready to go, he moved Eddie Jones. And he said the day Kobe was inserted into the starting lineup, oh boy, we're never going to get him to come off the bench ever again. And they didn't.

Yeah, but let me ask you this.

If the D League is around, then that doesn't alter West's decision making on Kobe? West said he would be an NBA All Star from Day 1, but not in the first season.

If the D League is around, no matter how high West was on Kobe, you don't think he puts him down there to let him prove himself?

That team Kobe got drafted to was in a win now mode. Rather than sacrifice actual game time to prove whether or not Kobe was league ready, they more than likely would have put him down in the D League for a bit to prove if he was a Pro.

No matter how high West was on Kobe, he was still 17. The First guard EVER taken out of High School. No college experience. If the D-League is around, it's only logical that they allow him some time down there to prove himself.

Yeah, but let me ask you this.

If the D League is around, then that doesn't alter West's decision making on Kobe? West said he would be an NBA All Star from Day 1, but not in the first season.

If the D League is around, no matter how high West was on Kobe, you don't think he puts him down there to let him prove himself?

That team Kobe got drafted to was in a win now mode. Rather than sacrifice actual game time to prove whether or not Kobe was league ready, they more than likely would have put him down in the D League for a bit to prove if he was a Pro.

No matter how high West was on Kobe, he was still 17. The First guard EVER taken out of High School. No college experience. If the D-League is around, it's only logical that they allow him some time down there to prove himself.

I disagree. Would you rather he prove himself vs nobodies in the DLeague, or let him go at Eddie Jones, a young Eddie Jones, someone who could practice everyday back then, as well as have an old vet let Byron Scott around to work with Kobe day after day after day?

Kobe shredded summer league, he beat down scrubs, nothing else was needed except time, and work. I rather watch him ball on Eddie every single day than whatever crap was down in the D.

Oh look, the NBA is looking to begin HGH testing within a year or two.

When is Kobe planning on retiring? :nerd:

Oh.

:lol:

It's about to get REAL THICK real soon guys. Batten down the hatches.

Clearly they saw something special in Bean, otherwise they wouldn't have tossed Vlade for him so smoothly. He was only 28. No way they would've tossed a prospect like him in the DLeague just to prove himself and waste time. They saw what they needed to see in both hs and his workouts.

I disagree. Would you rather he prove himself vs nobodies in the DLeague, or let him go at Eddie Jones, a young Eddie Jones, someone who could practice everyday back then, as well as have an old vet let Byron Scott around to work with Kobe day after day after day?

Kobe shredded summer league, he beat down scrubs, nothing else was needed except time, and work. I rather watch him ball on Eddie every single day than whatever crap was down in the D.

I would much rather see if he could prove himself in the L rather than the D League. I agree, I would.

However, if I'm a general manager in 96' it would have been hard for me not to put him in the D League at least for a few games. The Summer League isn't the real NBA, and neither is the D-League, but it's a lot closer.

As a GM who has a team that is in a win now mode, I would have been much more comfortable seeing him prove himself as a pro before putting him right in the middle of battle. Between Scott, Kersey, and Fisher they would have managed and Kobe at the time was more of an accessory than a necessity. Nick and Eddie were logging heavy minutes, Kobe only played 15 minutes a game, so he wasn't playing THAT much anyway. Letting him prove himself on D-League time rather than a championship contending team time would have been much more likely imo.

Clearly they saw something special in Bean, otherwise they wouldn't have tossed Vlade for him so smoothly. He was only 28. No way they would've tossed a prospect like him in the DLeague just to prove himself and waste time. They saw what they needed to see in both hs and his workouts.

Well this is flawed and skewed because they knew they were about to get Shaq, making Vlade more than Moveable and allowing them to take that gamble with Kobe.

On a win now team, you really think that they would have had a 17 year old in the rotation if the D-League was around?

On a Championship contending team, that was a huge risk putting a 17 year old into the rotation. A risk that would have been completely unnecessary if the D-League was around.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom