Delete

Reggie Smith can replace nate now
smile.gif

Originally Posted by FlashEightZero

okay i'm already talkin myself into this, he's like the vernon davis of defense: fundamentally subpar, athletically transcendent

i was doing the same thing.

I knew we were going to get Mays right after the Eagles and Browns took safeties. Definitely a good pick since it was only a 2nd rounder.

I like the pick at 49.

If he figures out how to play football with his athleticism then he's the steal of the draft.

Don't like the pick.

A safety that takes horrible angles and can't read what the offense is doing?

See: Mark Roman

its not like we are playing peyton and brady on a weekly basis. we have a very slow learning curve in terms of qb's. he wont be thrown directly into the fire, and so maybe we can give him some ball skills, and he'll be fine. is he gonna be a ballhawking perfect angles type? hell nah. but can he help us? yes. even right now.

Our Draft has been pretty damn
pimp.gif
so far

Also, thought this was interesting:

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2010/04/mays-says-he-fe.html
Mays says he feels betrayed by Pete Carroll

To say that Taylor Mays is motivated is like saying Mike Iupati is kinda big. Asked if he was entering the league with a chip on his shoulder, Mays said the following: "I've probably got the biggest chip on my shoulder out of anybody in the draft."

Some of that chip/resentment/motivation is fueled by his former USC coach and current Seahawks coach, Pete Carroll, who yesterday took a safety in the first round, Texas' Earl Thomas. Asked about that turn of events, there was a pregnant pause. "Um, it was interesting," Mays finally said. "I definitely thought from the relationship we had, the things that he had told me about what I needed to be aware of with the draft process and things that I needed to do, I felt he told me the complete opposite of the actions that he took, which was definitely - it was alarming. ... I understand it's a business. But with it being a business, he needs to be honest. And that's all I was asking for."

How exactly did Carroll lead him astray? "Just in terms of, I didn't have anything to worry about, that my game was ok, that my backpeddling was fine ... my tackling was fine. It was all things that I asked - what I needed to work on, what I needed to show. I was kind of led to think that I was going to be ok. You know, it is what it is and I'm so happy to be with the 49ers on a team that Ronnie Lott played on."

Mays also said he "couldn't be any happier right now." He grew up idolizing Lott, he gets to remain on the west coast and he had an excellent visit with Mike Singletary before the draft. "I'd rather fall and go to a team where I have a chance of having a better quality career than go earlier and doesn't have more of a chance to win," he said.

Asked if he was a complete safety or merely an in-the-box safety, Mays said: "Well, that's what we're going to find out over the next couple of months and years is whether I can play in the box or deep. I know what I can do, and I know what I'm capable of doing." The 49ers likely will start Mays out behind Michael Lewis, who mostly plays in the box. Lewis, who had three concussions last season, has a base salary of $4.1 million this year and $5.7 next year.

Mark Roman should be considered a curse word on yuku. I don't mind the pick, I especially like players with chips on their shoulders.

I was almost thinkin $!!$ it, may as well pick up bruce campbell too
laugh.gif

what CB's are still out there?

i like mays
pimp.gif

a USC safety
pimp.gif
...word to ronnie
nerd.gif

anyways i wouldve been ok draftin jimmy...a backup for nate davis
nerd.gif
but it is wat it is

Bowman most likely will be the backup to Spikes and look to take over next year.

He was graded by most to be a 2nd round talent, but due to character concerns slipped.

Back
Top Bottom