December Wrestling Thread | Rest In Peace Brodie Lee | Happy New Year | JOTM Bruce Mitchell

suicid dives always been trash

any move to the outside of the ring when a person or a group of persons have to stand there 'groggily' while the other person is getting positioned to jump on them is ****ing stupid

STUPID

I hate when a wrestler does like 4 suicide dives in a row during a match. Think I’ve seen Darby Allin and Seth Rollins do this a ton. And Rollins was doing that AFTER knee surgery :lol:

I hate when a wrestler does like 4 suicide dives in a row during a match. Think I’ve seen Darby Allin and Seth Rollins do this a ton. And Rollins was doing that AFTER knee surgery :lol:
And when Jay Lethal's slow running self does 3 suicide dives, it is hard to suspend disbelief.

Like ihust1e ihust1e said, the "Group Bonding" suicide dives are SO got damn dumb man. :lol:

if you can only have one move. Would it be the suicide dive or sling blade. Pick your weapon.

Agreed on the suicide dives talk.

Still liked this though :lol: :pimp:

giphy.gif

Woke up this morning and thought it was Friday. I was schedule to come in a mid shift so I took my sweet time out of bed. Luckily my boss called me this morning and told that our system is down. I’m now waiting my updated schedule. Sitting and starring off into space. I can’t even enjoy my time with my wife and kids. How’s everyone’s day so far?

Speak on the subject matter please.

You are displaying Bent Knee behavior by attacking the subject and not the content.

So what are your thoughts on suicide dives taking into consideration what I expressed?

Oh that's right, you "want to be taken serious" now :lol:

I think an issue I have with the suicide dive is that nobody actually dies (even though Snoop Banks tries) after the move has been executed..

DC, does it seem like the people who are doing the diving nowadays are waiting too long for the person/people on the outside to "get ready"?..I feel like in the 90's/early 00's that guys would get up off the mat and just start running..Now it seems like they just stand there "revving up" and then running after the guy outside has stood up and wobbled a couple times..

I don't see an issue with suicide dives as long as it's on 1 or maybe 2 people.

If it's and entire groups waiting around then it looks ridiculous.

What are your thoughts on the subject of suicide dives?

Great athleticism shown but how is anyone able to defend a group of 15 men to stand and wait for a dude to jump on them.

It just doesn't make sense.
Yes I mainly like IT for the athleticism and to my knowledge IT was the first time he had ever done THAT. Not something that gets spammed.

From a realism standpoint, IT does not make sense.

I think an issue I have with the suicide dive is that nobody actually dies (even though Snoop Banks tries) after the move has been executed..

DC, does it seem like the people who are doing the diving nowadays are waiting too long for the person/people on the outside to "get ready"?..I feel like in the 90's/early 00's that guys would get up off the mat and just start running..Now it seems like they just stand there "revving up" and then running after the guy outside has stood up and wobbled a couple times..
Like I was telling Mariko, in the 90s, I saw PLENTY of long/delayed waits by defensive wrestlers while waiting for dives. So this isn't new at all, we just see more dives in general now so it might appear to be worse now.

But the revving up does make it more of a theatrical spectacle these days.

Either way, it looks foolish.

(And no, I am NOT saying Suicide Dives are the ONLY foolish looking aspect of wrestling.)
(And no, I am NOT saying Suicide Dives are the ONLY foolish looking aspect of wrestling.)

Like I was telling Mariko, in the 90s, I saw PLENTY of long/delayed waits by defensive wrestlers while waiting for dives. So this isn't new at all, we just see more dives in general now so it might appear to be worse now.

But the revving up does make it more of a theatrical spectacle these days.

Either way, it looks foolish.

Are you saying Suicide Dives are the ONLY foolish aspect of wrestling?

Those dives are cool but I'm not sure it's worth the risk; for me as a fan.

I mean, they don't really amaze me yet they look pretty dangerous.

I agree that there were plenty of times that delay happened in the 90's..But, to me, it seemed like the guys back then, when doing any move to the outside, just executed the move quicker..They didn't wait as long for guys to get ready to catch them (maybe that's why we saw more "botches") and didn't wait for the perfect footing while doing some sort of top rope maneuver..It's like workers today are a little too cautious and it cause their moves to look softer/faker..

The between the ropes ones as opposed to over the top (are these called something different?) are especially dangerous. Seems so easy to accidentally clip your foot on a rope. All for what most of the time is a flying push.

I remember the over-the-top cross body being called a plancha.
(possibly by Y2J in reference to Jimmy Snuka's on Don Muraco in the beginning of their feud.)

I remember the over-the-top cross body being called a plancha.
(possibly by Y2J in reference to Jimmy Snuka's on Don Muraco in the beginning of their feud.)
Just an instance of things being lost in translation and/or proper research not being done by Americans.

The move you are referring to should have been called a Pescado. (since you said over the top and not from the turnbuckle).

Plancha
An accepted term in American wrestling for a springboard crossbody where the wrestler goes from the inside of the ring over the top ring rope to the outside. In lucha libre, this variant is often called a "pescado" (Spanish for "fish") since a proper plancha is referring to any kind of crossbody. In America, however, a move from the top turnbuckle to a standing opponent on the outside where the chests impact each other is commonly referred to as such. It is also used to refer to any attack from the ring to the outside in which the wrestlers' chests impact each other. For example, a shooting star press to the outside onto a standing opponent is referred to as a shooting star plancha.[30]

Breakdown down by Mike Tenay

The between the ropes ones as opposed to over the top (are these called something different?) are especially dangerous. Seems so easy to accidentally clip your foot on a rope. All for what most of the time is a flying push.
Funny because I see more botches with wrestlers going in between the ropes.

Let me say, I see a higher % of in between the rope dives botched than I see % of over the top rope dives.

The dude in my avatar was the master of the Over the Top.

Just an instance of things being lost in translation and/or proper research not being done by Americans.

The move you are referring to should have been called a Pescado. (since you said over the top and not from the turnbuckle).

Ya, I saw that but since we're in America - Plancha it is.

Thank you for providing the thread additional information.
I opted for the simpler yet accurate approach.

Funny because I see more botches with wrestlers going in between the ropes.

Let me say, I see a higher % of in between the rope dives botched than I see % of over the top rope dives.

The dude in my avatar was the master of the Over the Top.

The over the top fish jump is generally done by guys that are athletic enough to do IT with ease without having to worry about nicking the top rope. Much more margin for error having to go in between 2 ropes.

Back
Top Bottom